Have You Developed Hatred Towards The West?

MonkeyHouse

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The US education system is / was ranked 27th in the world last year..

We have the best Universities on the planet and foreigners are fighting to attend them.

i handful of (i admit) excellent universities (i did a part of my studies at MIT, Boston) does not represent an educational system :o

I would hate to think that you really believe this. If people want to watch whatever Fox 'News' then that is fair enough, but I'm sorry this type of comment is just a joke. 'Most open to debate' - my arse. All News programs have a bias, but I think Fox just appeals to the lowest common denominator and can't be viewed as a serious venue to become informed about world affairs. Of course some people are not really concerned about any attempt at fairness and for them Fox is probably ideal. I would class Fox as a celebration of ignorance, but good luck to you. I see Fox as being very similar to 'The Sun' in England - you would never admit to reading it in front of somebody with half a brain in case they judged you a moron.

Being as i live in England and dont get Fox im not exactly a hardened viewer, and as it i owned by Rupert Murdoch its not going to be extreme right or even far right as its in his interest to keep the "status quo", it could be described as being nationalistic.

But the times i do watch it, it has fluffy liberals arguing their point against non to bright Republican Fox journalists, is this not "Open Debate" i never see this kind of debate on the intellectual stations such as the BBC or CNN.

Being as "The Sun" is the most popular paper in Britain plenty of people will admit to reading it, though im sure every single one of them can tell the difference between it and which ever full of sht rag folk read to give themselves delusions of grandeur.

Back to the OP it seems as if many on this forum have gained a dislike of the USA whilst living in LOS.

Back to the OP it seems as if many on this forum have gained a dislike of the USA whilst living in LOS.

although it has been mentioned over and over i can't help it to point out again that this is a misinterpretation. disliking U.S. government policies does not mean disliking the country or its citizens!

I lived and worked in Los Angeles until I retired on 2002. I was quite surprised when I came east and found that not everyone loved the USA. Everything I was taught in school led me to believe that we were the only super power and it should be our way or the highway. It has been a learning experience and I have seen the light in some respects. That said, much of the criticism of the USA is unjustified and appears to be based on pure hate.

From Thai Visa you learn that all Germans HATE America. I think it's mostly because they are still smarting form those war losses the first half of the last century. The French hate us too. However, it could be said that they hate everyone but themselves. The British hate for the US is inexplicable. It was not only the US that eventually seceded from the Empire and reduced the most powerful nation on earth to a couple of islands.

To continue the discussion on the news and how it is reported, I am disappointed with all the news we have available here. I lean towards Fox News because it deals mainly with my former country. Fox News is tabloid like and salacious but at least there is some news content. CNN and BBC here in Asia are a total joke. It may not be politically correct to delve into the reasons why both channels think here in Asia think we want to be constantly bombarded with stories and film about Africa. It seems several hours of everyday, especially on weekends, are devote to poor, sick and disadvantaged Africans. I think last weekend there was a whole hour documentary on African youth and smoking. I think the bottom line is that all the stuff from there must be cheap compared to covering real news in other parts of the world.

BBC and CNN have people "on the ground" everywhere. It would appear that as a cost cutting measure they only send one guy or girl to a region. No producer, no camera person, just someone with a mobile phone. The veterans get camera phones and report from all over the world, except Africa, about what they heard about the latest tragedy. Both BBC and CNN have finally said to heck with all this expensive reporting. Now they want everybody everywhere, except Africa, where there is a cameraman and a producer with a real reporter, to film and report via their mobile/video phones for free. Each has instructed there new free reporters to, "Be careful out there", to reduce the chance of getting sued I suspect.

To answer the OP's question: I love America and what it has provided me and my extended family for generations.

I lived and worked in Los Angeles until I retired on 2002. I was quite surprised when I came east and found that not everyone loved the USA. Everything I was taught in school led me to believe that we were the only super power and it should be our way or the highway. It has been a learning experience and I have seen the light in some respects. That said, much of the criticism of the USA is unjustified and appears to be based on pure hate.

From Thai Visa you learn that all Germans HATE America. I think it's mostly because they are still smarting form those war losses the first half of the last century. The French hate us too. However, it could be said that they hate everyone but themselves. The British hate for the US is inexplicable. It was not only the US that eventually seceded from the Empire and reduced the most powerful nation on earth to a couple of islands.

To continue the discussion on the news and how it is reported, I am disappointed with all the news we have available here. I lean towards Fox News because it deals mainly with my former country. Fox News is tabloid like and salacious but at least there is some news content. CNN and BBC here in Asia are a total joke. It may not be politically correct to delve into the reasons why both channels think here in Asia think we want to be constantly bombarded with stories and film about Africa. It seems several hours of everyday, especially on weekends, are devote to poor, sick and disadvantaged Africans. I think last weekend there was a whole hour documentary on African youth and smoking. I think the bottom line is that all the stuff from there must be cheap compared to covering real news in other parts of the world.

BBC and CNN have people "on the ground" everywhere. It would appear that as a cost cutting measure they only send one guy or girl to a region. No producer, no camera person, just someone with a mobile phone. The veterans get camera phones and report from all over the world, except Africa, about what they heard about the latest tragedy. Both BBC and CNN have finally said to heck with all this expensive reporting. Now they want everybody everywhere, except Africa, where there is a cameraman and a producer with a real reporter, to film and report via their mobile/video phones for free. Each has instructed there new free reporters to, "Be careful out there", to reduce the chance of getting sued I suspect.

To answer the OP's question: I love America and what it has provided me and my extended family for generations.

IN YOUR WORDS NOT MINE(please note moderators) you say all these countries hate america and then you continue to say why.Read the post again and YOU will understand why YOU think countries hate america.

IN YOUR WORDS NOT MINE(please note moderators) you say all these countries hate america and then you continue to say why.Read the post again and YOU will understand why YOU think countries hate america.

Hi Posh. Remember America should be capitalized and please use spell check. Thanks, Grant

Although I care less about your statements.. I must direct you to the internet for "proof".. The US education system is / was ranked 27th in the world last year..

The Sky is falling, the housing market is flucked and the country has never been in such poor shape financially since the 1930's..

Other than that.. Its war as per usual..

The American educational system varies, depending on what is measured. Our public grade school system surely lags behind other Western and industrialized countries, but then again we also have far more immigrants and other historical social issues to assimilate than other Western countries that have been largely homogenous until relatively recently (1950s and after).

Secondly, our universities are indisputably among the best in the world by all measures, and that includes private and hugely endowed Harvard University and the public University of California system with Berkeley as its flagship school. American universities still dominate the THES QS Top University rankings even after they changed their methodology to favor non-U.S. schools, with over one quarter of the best universities in the world residing in the U.S.

http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniver...ity_rankings-1/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7011901360.html

But I am much more appreciative now that I am a US citizen with access to it's social services, colleges and beautiful clean parks.

The US has no social services and it's educational system is a joke. I know this because I read ThaiVisa and talk to Europoeans regularly. Maybe America has a clean park or two. You can't be from San Francisco, you must be a Republican glued to Fox News.

A fluffy liberal who is so enlightened and watches CNN and the BBC, please write more posts for us people who dont know better then to watch Fox News, which of all the global news stations is most open to debate despite being from a centre right stand point.

I would hate to think that you really believe this. If people want to watch whatever Fox 'News' then that is fair enough, but I'm sorry this type of comment is just a joke. 'Most open to debate' - my arse. All News programs have a bias, but I think Fox just appeals to the lowest common denominator and can't be viewed as a serious venue to become informed about world affairs. Of course some people are not really concerned about any attempt at fairness and for them Fox is probably ideal. I would class Fox as a celebration of ignorance, but good luck to you. I see Fox as being very similar to 'The Sun' in England - you would never admit to reading it in front of somebody with half a brain in case they judged you a moron.

:D So now the U.S.-bashing thread has turned into a Fox-bashing thread. Can't the anti-U.S. & liberal posters stay on topic?

You remind me of the "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up," geriatric commercials. Only in your case is, "Help! I've got a one-track mind, and I can't help turning every thread into my pet peeve..." Get a life. :o

Maybe you should wake up and smell the coffee.. (still makes me laugh that 10,000 people will march becuase the closure of a Starbucks!)..

Ah the good ole USA.. Hated every day by 90% of the world... SOM NUM NA! :D

You reap what you sow unfortunately.. so now turn your frustrations towards your government as we are just bystanders looking on.

Thats what happens to bullies, they are beaten down in the end.. The world is just making sure the US will go broke.. easy fix!

carry on.. nothing to see here!

First of all, the people protesting the closure of more than 600 Starbucks franchises are baristas represented by their union, who are about to be out of a job and severance pay in a grim economy, with no automatic social benefits, such as in the UK. The last I heard, the f*cking English were rioting over the fact that they couldn't continue to drink alcohol while commuting through the underground, so spare me your sanctimonious condescension on the fact that workers are organizing for economic survival. If you represent a proportion of the supposed 90% who hate us, then I'm fairly certain that we have even less to worry about than feared.

And yes, all bullies are beaten down, including the ones that we beat down in our short history to become an independent country. :D

http://www.starbucksunion.org/blog/2

Mall of America Starbucks Baristas Walk Off Job, Protest Closures

I would class Fox as a celebration of ignorance

Great observation.

Seconded.

From Thai Visa you learn that all Germans HATE America.

of course we Germans hate America. after all you nuked us twice. once the bavarian capital Hiroshima and once Nagasaki the capital of Lower Saxony. also America has taken away our former colony Viet Nam where most of the gold was mined which we used to finance our agressive wars :o

p.s. keep on "learning" from TV postings and soon you'll be a very "learned" man :D

From Thai Visa you learn that all Germans HATE America.

of course we Germans hate America. after all you nuked us twice. once the bavarian capital Hiroshima and once Nagasaki the capital of Lower Saxony. also America has taken away our former colony Viet Nam where most of the gold was mined which we used to finance our agressive wars :o

p.s. keep on "learning" from TV postings and soon you'll be a very "learned" man :D

I rest my case.

Thanks Kat

Glad to see my old school just eased in at 84th place, hey it’s still the top 100 in the world.…yeah!!!! :o

and I agree with FOX

Don't know about the news - don't watch them that often, but the shows on Fox network are just plainly junk varieties.

Edited by teacup

We have the best Universities on the planet and foreigners are fighting to attend them.

i handful of (i admit) excellent universities (i did a part of my studies at MIT, Boston) does not represent an educational system :D

Pray tell, then just what does it represent? Anything you can stoop to admit additionally? :o

although it has been mentioned over and over i can't help it to point out again that this is a misinterpretation. disliking U.S. government policies does not mean disliking the country or its citizens!

Perhaps you feel this way, but a lot of your Thai Visa comrades hate Americans AND America. :o

Thanks Kat

Glad to see my old school just eased in at 84th place, hey it's still the top 100 in the world.…yeah!!!! :o

and I agree with FOX

Don't know about the news - don't watch them that often, but the shows on Fox network are just plainly junk varieties.

Mine moved from 8th to 55th. They must have really tweaked with the methodology to let 7 Australian schools in higher than the likes of Purdue, Penn State and Rice.

Edited by lannarebirth

Thanks Kat

Glad to see my old school just eased in at 84th place, hey it's still the top 100 in the world.…yeah!!!! :D

and I agree with FOX

Mine moved from 8th to 55th. They must have really tweaked with the methodology to let 7 Australian schools in higher than the likes of Purdue, Penn State and Rice.

oh wait, just looked at the list again, mine was at.....

84th place - 2006

55th place - 2007 :o:D:D

http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniver...0_universities/

Don't tell me....you're one of the Huskies too, just like me?

Edited by teacup

I get fed up with Western hubris & arrogance – some of which is unfortunately on display in Thailand. There is sort of this narrative in the West about how we are so superior and advanced and how we need to impose those supposedly superior values on the rest of the world. When I am in Thailand, I see what total bullshit this notion is.

Things always look a lot different after a cheap blow job, don't they?

:o:D Excellent observation kmart! Hate the country but why the 300 million plus people? Fbran needs a laxative. His beliefs sound no different than the radicalized religious groups that want America and Israel wiped off the face of the earth.

Chill out. I think hate is unhealthy.

Im glad to see my thread is popular even though it has changed into hatred towards the USA and FOX news.

Bloody hel_l

You are fooling no one anthropoid.

I would prefered to be called a simian rather than a anthropoid, but thanks anyway.

Edited by MonkeyHouse

But I am much more appreciative now that I am a US citizen with access to it's social services, colleges and beautiful clean parks.

The US has no social services and it's educational system is a joke. I know this because I read ThaiVisa and talk to Europoeans regularly. Maybe America has a clean park or two. You can't be from San Francisco, you must be a Republican glued to Fox News.

A fluffy liberal who is so enlightened and watches CNN and the BBC, please write more posts for us people who dont know better then to watch Fox News, which of all the global news stations is most open to debate despite being from a centre right stand point.

:D So now the U.S.-bashing thread has turned into a Fox-bashing thread. Can't the anti-U.S. & liberal posters stay on topic?

You remind me of the "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up," geriatric commercials. Only in your case is, "Help! I've got a one-track mind, and I can't help turning every thread into my pet peeve..." Get a life. :o

I'm not sure what your posts remind me of because as soon as I read them I forget them.

Dull Dull Dull

The original question is why we may have grown to hate THE WEST since coming to Thailand. I never hated the UK or the British or the Scots, Welsh, et al. (especially Al), and I still do not. I never hated the West, and still do not. I learned long ago not to hate my enemies.

Perhaps you feel this way, but a lot of your Thai Visa comrades hate Americans AND America. :o

if that is the case these comrades are not my comrades :D

i handful of (i admit) excellent universities (i did a part of my studies at MIT, Boston) does not represent an educational system :D

Pray tell, then just what does it represent? Anything you can stoop to admit additionally? :o

universities are universities, educational systems are educational systems. what else is there to add? that G.W is a Harvard graduate? :D many years after my studies i have lived 15 years in the U.S.; that of course doesn't make me an expert. my personal opinion is that the basic system (Elementary/Junior till Senior High) is somehow flawed. there is no doubt that all necessary subjects are taught. the results however are completely unsatisfactory compared to international (i specifically refer to european) standards. on the other hand i have to note that european (german) educational standards have dropped considerably during the last two decades. during "my time" a big percentage of those who graduate nowadays with a paper which entitles them to study at a University (we don't have colleges) would have had no chance to be admitted.

all afore said based on my personal view and my well known [not so] humble opinion :D

I get fed up with Western hubris & arrogance – some of which is unfortunately on display in Thailand. There is sort of this narrative in the West about how we are so superior and advanced and how we need to impose those supposedly superior values on the rest of the world. When I am in Thailand, I see what total bullshit this notion is.

Things always look a lot different after a cheap blow job, don't they?

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of Western garbage floating around Thailand these days. You would think that if the West were so Utopian, they would find be able to find a home for such trash in their own societies.

Thanks Kat

Glad to see my old school just eased in at 84th place, hey it's still the top 100 in the world.…yeah!!!! :D

and I agree with FOX

oh wait, just looked at the list again, mine was at.....

84th place - 2006

55th place - 2007 :o:D:D

http://www.topuniversities.com/worlduniver...0_universities/

Don't tell me....you're one of the Huskies too, just like me?

I was a Huskie, it's true. i transferred out after 2 years as they did not offer the degree/career I decided upon. I'm still a Huskie Football fan of course, and still despise Wolverines, Buckeyes, Cornhuskers,Trojans, etc.