Change Tourist Visa To Non-imm O ?

I am a British National currently in Thailand on a 6mth tourist visa. I am 2 months into this visa, and a government hilltribe school would like me to volunteer for them. Is it possible for me to change my tourist visa to a volunteer visa (Non-Immigrant O) visa at Bangkok Immigration? Or do I need to leave the country? I believe I will need an invitation letter from the school, are they any specifics that this letter will need to include? Does it need any seals, signatures, etc? What other documents will they ask for?

Also I presume after I have this visa I will be able to apply for a work permit at the department of Employment in my province? Can anyone describe how to apply for this? Are they easy to get once you have the visa?

It sounds like an incredibly long and bureaucratic process?

MAny thanks in advance!

I am a British National currently in Thailand on a 6mth tourist visa. I am 2 months into this visa, and a government hilltribe school would like me to volunteer for them. Is it possible for me to change my tourist visa to a volunteer visa (Non-Immigrant O) visa at Bangkok Immigration? Or do I need to leave the country? I believe I will need an invitation letter from the school, are they any specifics that this letter will need to include? Does it need any seals, signatures, etc? What other documents will they ask for?

Also I presume after I have this visa I will be able to apply for a work permit at the department of Employment in my province? Can anyone describe how to apply for this? Are they easy to get once you have the visa?

MAny thanks in advance!

You will have to leave Thailand. Laos is your best option depending on where you are in Thailand. Easy enough to do 3 days 2 nights usually. Not sure about your other questions but some other guys on here will definitely be able to help. You can ask the ministry before you go anyway exactly what you need, or ring the Thai embassy in Laos and ask them what documents you need in order to get your non O.

MAny thanks in advance!

You do not have to leave Thailand, it's complicated, but possible.

1) You could go to your local immigration dept and convert your tourist visa into an appropriate non immigrant visa. You must convert it whilst there are more than 21 days remaining on your visa entry stamp.

2) You/your 'employer' can apply for a work permit.

3) When you get your Work Permit, you can then work.

4) You can then also apply to your local immigration dept. for an 'Extension of Permission to Stay' under secton 7.1 or 7.20 (depending on your school's status) of Police order 606/2541. Here is a link to a translation of the order: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/rtp606EN.pdf

You can change the visa at any immigration office, doesn't have to be Bangkok.

You will need a letter from the school, stating that you will be volunteering for them. Have the director to ad a copy of his ID-card to the letter.

Know that for volunteering you will also need a work permit from the labour office.

I'm a volunteer teacher also on a non-O visa. I myself applied for the original visa outside of the country at a consulate and for that the letter form the school dirctor was enough. For the extension to one year and the work permit there is however a lot more paperwork involved.

If the director of your school doesn't know how to go about the process send me a PM and I will bring him in contact with a school that has gone through the process and know what to do.

Best is to call first with immigration and the labour office to see which documents they will need, as each office has it's own rules.

Edited by Mario2008

Thanks peeps!

Yes originally I thought I would have to leave the country, but then heard it could actually be changed in BKK so I just wondered if it was true.

Thanks again!

I had a Tourist Visa that I changed into a Retirement Visa without leaving the country.

I would expect that you could also change your existing Visa's status, maybe there's a time limit, such as how many days left on your Tourist Visa, but personally, I think you'll be OK as Tourist Visa'a are extendable.

Good Luck. :o

Edited by Maigo6