My Weight Is Unchanged After 2 Weeks Diet/exercise!

simon43

13 days after my last weight update. Now it's 70.8kg, so a total loss of 6.9kg...

My 30 km cycling exercise is getting quite easy now. If I can find some safe roads with lttle traffic then I'll extend the distance.

This point almost marks my first weight-loss target. My brain still uses British imperial units. I started off at 12 stone 2 pounds and I'm now about 11 stone 1 pound. I wanted to lose 1 stone which I've achieved. My second target is to lose another stone, bringing myself down to exactly 10 stone.

[Of course, that second target weight might be too low or too high, bearing in mind how I feel/look when I'm at that weight. But it's a nice พound figure to achieve]

So I have about 8.3 kg still to lose. I look good and feel good. The weight loss slowed last week because a friend brought a very good New Zealand red from overseas and we finished the lot together [dam_n those 2 litres bottles of Shiraz...]

Simon

Edited by simon43

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Yep, well done Simon, keep going ... and here's a little update from me ...

Did my monthly 'in body' electronic analysis at Cali (Singapore Orchard) yesterday - since mid May have lost 9.2kg fat and gained 1.2kg muscle. So average fat loss is about 2kg a month - seems OK to me?

Bad news is that I'm still 134kg and the machine says I need to get down to 107 - so still a long way to go!

Diet wise - still sticking with a mostly lo-carb approach, including ramping down beer consumption in the evening. Taking some additional protein rich foods on my PT's suggestion to make sure I don't burn off too much muscle instead of fat. But the diet is reasonably moderate, as I won't keep it up in the long term otherwise (I know I lack self-discipline sometimes)

Exercise wise - three hours circuit training per week - very intensive one hour sessions with lots of hi rep exercises against body weight - eg. push ups on fit ball, chin ups, sit ups etc - and cardio bursts on rowing machines, cycling/walking holding light dumbbells etc. In addition, a two hour weights / resistance training session at the weekend to make sure muscles keep improving their tone.

Overall, I am enjoying it and want to keep going, so that's one major hurdle overcome.

Good luck everyone,

CC

• 3 months later...

About 6 weeks ago I started walking up a small mountain near where I live. It takes about 25 minutes to walk up (used to take 35 when I first started) and 25 to walk down. At the top I am usually completely breathless, soaked in sweat and with aching legs, aching bum, dry throat and lungs, and tingling little fingers. I'm careful not to push too hard in case I have a heart attack. :o

I've lost about 4 kg (now 86 kg), mostly from my gut, and feel great.

Bad news is that I'm still 134kg and the machine says I need to get down to 107 - so still a long way to go!

Diet wise - still sticking with a mostly lo-carb approach, including ramping down beer consumption in the evening. Taking some additional protein rich foods on my PT's suggestion to make sure I don't burn off too much muscle instead of fat. But the diet is reasonably moderate, as I won't keep it up in the long term otherwise (I know I lack self-discipline sometimes)

careful Captain! i'm not only a protein lover but exaggerated protein intake over a period of 12-15 years to keep my weight in check. for the major part of the last decade i felt healthy and happy like a pig in sh*t. about three years ago i developed some problems (mainly breathlessness) which i thought was just lack of exercise. several months ago i had a general check-up which revealed that my cholesterol level was skyhigh. my physician suggested an immediate CT heart scan after which the sh*t hit the fan. had to undergo open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) and was told "it was not 5 minutes and not 2 minutes to 12, there was barely a minute left and you could have seen the eternal hunting grounds!".

...was told "it was not 5 minutes and not 2 minutes to 12, there was barely a minute left and you could have seen the eternal hunting grounds!".

Bl00dy h3ll Naam, that's scary! The first time I went to a doctor - only because of a bad bout of 'flu - he took my weight, blood pressure, temperature, etc, and that started off my current regimen of pills for controlling blood pressure and cholesterol. I've been doing that for 5 years and have regular check ups every 6 months. Anyone over 50 ought to see a doctor for a general check up - doesn't matter how fit or unfit you think you are.

........ have regular check ups every 6 months. Anyone over 50 ought to see a doctor for a general check up - doesn't matter how fit or unfit you think you are.

Excellent advice. It is very important to have regular six or twelve month medical check ups.....and that means a full check up, irrespective of how well you may feel.

Aim to have your blood sample taken in the morning. Fast from dinner the night before. This assists to ensure accuracy with the cholesterol check.

Ask your doctor to conduct as many tests as possible from your blood sample.

For those over 60, have your heart monitored at least every twelve months.

Don't forget the prostate prod from your slim fingered doctor every twelve months. The blood sample should disclose any prostate problems.

Diets should be well balanced. It is not advisable to radically change your diet after middle age. Judge your meal size by your daily activities. If your are retired and just potter around the garden, there is no need for large meals. Your system will soon get used to a much lighter food intake.

Sensible, regular exercise is a must for everyone of all ages.

Naam, I'm glad that your medical check up saved the day. Your post highlights the need not to take your body for granted.

Naam, I'm glad that your medical check up saved the day. Your post highlights the need not to take your body for granted.

indeed! looking back i can't believe that i was that stupid and took health (the most precious thing we have and which cannot be bought with any amount of money) as granted. the good news is: i went yesterday for the first comprehensive check-up since my surgery (which was 2½ months ago) and whatever was checked turned out to be AAA OK² :o and heart efficiency nearly doubled from 32 to 63%. still need to be careful with exercises. walking only allowed till my sawed through sternum (breastbone) has healed completely. swimming, hanging and hitting the punching bag again not before middle of march.

indeed! looking back i can't believe that i was that stupid and took health (the most precious thing we have and which cannot be bought with any amount of money) as granted. the good news is: i went yesterday for the first comprehensive check-up since my surgery (which was 2½ months ago) and whatever was checked turned out to be AAA OK² :o and heart efficiency nearly doubled from 32 to 63%. still need to be careful with exercises. walking only allowed till my sawed through sternum (breastbone) has healed completely. swimming, hanging and hitting the punching bag again not before middle of march.

I have to undergo a similar operation on the heart .If you dont mind can you tell me if your operation was performed in a clinic in Munich and if so in which clinic and who was the doctor.Thank you.

careful Captain! i'm not only a protein lover but exaggerated protein intake over a period of 12-15 years to keep my weight in check. for the major part of the last decade i felt healthy and happy like a pig in sh*t. about three years ago i developed some problems (mainly breathlessness) which i thought was just lack of exercise. several months ago i had a general check-up which revealed that my cholesterol level was skyhigh. my physician suggested an immediate CT heart scan after which the sh*t hit the fan. had to undergo open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) and was told "it was not 5 minutes and not 2 minutes to 12, there was barely a minute left and you could have seen the eternal hunting grounds!".

Wow, that is scary stuff Naam and I am also glad you are not off hunting for a while yet! It is something that concerns me a little but perhaps I should have been more specific - I am not stuffing myself with endless steaks and eggs etc etc, just eating them occasionally, whilst trying to cut out rice/bread/pasta etc in the evenings and supplementing my diet with whey protein shakes (mixed with water not milk) on training days.

By the way, now down to 124.9kg and last week did the clever 'in-body' analysis thing which said I have shed 20kg fat and gained 5kg muscle overall. [Edit: as a result of the muscle gain my target weight is UP to 109kg, so that is a couple of kg's that I don't now have to sweat my arse off to lose!]

Doing one hour boxing or circuit training 3 times a week, and a two hour resistance training session on Saturdays. Oh, and I have to walk MiniChaos to school every morning - about 20 minutes in total but uphill so more than enough to break a good sweat in the Singapore climate!

Pleased? Yes! Had to take my office trousers to the tailors today to have them taken in - lost about 4 inches off my waist as a result of all this effort :o

Keep it going everyone...

Edited by Captain Chaos

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had saved the newspaper the article was in but it is recycled.

There was an article which said that studies have shown that what diet you are on does not matter - that is, high carb, high protein, you know there are so many.

The only thing that matters is the difference between calories in and calories consumed. Consume more than you burn, you gain.

My recent vacation to LOS in Feb, I ate breakfast and supper (usually veggie/fish or some meat and Thai not western). I went to the bars and drank moderately at night. In two weeks I lost 5 pounds.

I walked and walked and walked all day.

Here at home my lifestyle is sendentary - get in truck and drive to work (sitting), sit at desk all day in front of computer with one 15 minute walk at a break, drive home and sit at home. I have problems maintaining weight and not gaining here.

Retiring to Thailand next year - a lot is for my health. I feel alive there, healthier, stronger and only exist to make more money here at home.

Great Progress Captain!

Just stay consistent, the rest will follow!!!

Can you tell us what your typical food plan is?

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm not really following a food plan as such - but I am trying to restrict my carbohydrate intake, especially in the evenings. So minimal intake of bread / rice / pasta etc. I still like a beer more days than not, but then I will make sure I eat no hi-carb foodstuffs along with the beer - I have noticed that if I 'double up' a beer with some rice or something, the effect on the scales is immediate and adverse!

Breakfast I usually skip (have to get up at 05.30am to take the nipper to school and it's just too early for my stomach)

Lunch might be a tuna salad sandwich (brown bread) or similar, or if I fancy it, maybe some Singapore style noodles like 'char kway teow' or 'hokkien mee' - these are loaded with carbs but the point is that you will burn them off during the rest of the day. However, not recommended for every day consumption!

Dinner will be whatever MrsChaos cooks - usually Thai food - I'm partial to north-eastern stuff such as 'nam tok moo' but will skip the sticky rice (unfortunately - I adore sticky rice!) - plus some fruit, maybe an apple, grapes, guava etc. No bananas in the evenings - full of complex carbs but good to eat before exercising if you need an energy boost.

Will have a whey protein shake one hour before my personal training - which just as a reminder - is 3 times a week at lunchtimes, one hour boxing training each time, plus 2 hours resistance training on Saturdays, and I've recently added an hour of cardio by myself on Sundays (30 min jog at 8kph plus 30 mins something else, like nordic ski etc)

I think it's also important to be more active outside the gym - I walk MiniChaos to school each morning - about 20 mins and uphill, which is enough to break a sweat in Singapore, even early in the morning. Another recent addition to the regime: take him to a nearby park on a Sunday morning where we practice his rugby passing and kicking skills - again an hour of this will get you sweating, and after that I do my cardio at the gym.

So I guess it's a combination of generally watching what I eat & drink (but in moderation, so it feels sustainable right now) and being much more physically active, both in and out of the gym.

122.5kg after PT yesterday - another hour of boxing coming up today...

Keep it going everyone!

CC

Edited by Captain Chaos

Seems like I'm the only playing now :D but I will bore you all anyway! 122.0kg after a one hour boxing session today!! C'mon peeps - a little bit of healthy competition would be very motivational for us all?!?!

CC :o

Im loosing weight to around a kg a week. Im working out 7 days a week 4-5 days of weightlifting and 2 days of cardio. I have also changed my eating habits and prepare everything myself. It works good for me i feel great much more energy. My muscles are growing at the same time. I have a small gym at home that will give most fitness first a run for their money.

I went to one yesterday with a friend but they don't have many free weights or a squat rack. I don't think they would like me doing deadlifts there. But it was fun to go there especially when i did some bench presses and got a lot of attention.

• 2 weeks later...
I've gone from 72 kilos to 59.5 kilos since Oct 12th. I'm up to 62.5 kilos now after 4 days of eating crap and not exercising. I'm starting up the discipline today!

I just spent a very enjoyable week's vacation in the UK doing not much except swilling real ale and eating pork scratchings :o First post-vacation PT booked for 1pm today - bathroom scales showing 124.5kg this morning so my instructor will not be impressed but reckon I can burn it off again in a week or so if I work hard and watch my diet

CC

Edited by Captain Chaos

I've gone from 72 kilos to 59.5 kilos since Oct 12th. I'm up to 62.5 kilos now after 4 days of eating crap and not exercising. I'm starting up the discipline today!

I just spent a very enjoyable week's vacation in the UK doing not much except swilling real ale and eating pork scratchings :o First post-vacation PT booked for 1pm today - bathroom scales showing 124.5kg this morning so my instructor will not be impressed but reckon I can burn it off again in a week or so if I work hard and watch my diet

CC

We can all slack off a bit now and again, it happens. Especially if you got a long way to go. It doesn't have to be all fat when you eat a lot of carbs you tend to retain water too. You will see dont worry about it a real lot and you can get it off. Sometimes eating a bit more does get your methabolic rate going again. If done well its called carb cycling .. or a refeed... or like in your case a cheat day.

Breakfast I usually skip (have to get up at 05.30am to take the nipper to school and it's just too early for my stomach)

Will have a whey protein shake one hour before my personal training - which just as a reminder - is 3 times a week at lunchtimes

Do you have your personal training before or after you eat your lunch? I hope that it is after.

I don't like to see anybody skip breakfast. Breakfast should be regarded as the most important meal of the day. It's what gives you the energy to start your day.

If time is a factor you might be able to do the next best thing by drinking your breakfast. Perhaps your whey protein drink could be your rushed breakfast.

I love to have a banana milk shake for brekky. A raw egg, banana, honey, milk in a blender. Quick and easy. But I have that after freshly squeezed orange juice, a bowl of porridge and a slice of toast.

If you want to skip a meal, skip lunch, especially those sandwiches. Too much bread will pile on the weight.

Will have a whey protein shake one hour before my personal training - which just as a reminder - is 3 times a week at lunchtimes

Do you have your personal training before or after you eat your lunch? I hope that it is after.

I don't like to see anybody skip breakfast. Breakfast should be regarded as the most important meal of the day. It's what gives you the energy to start your day.

If time is a factor you might be able to do the next best thing by drinking your breakfast. Perhaps your whey protein drink could be your rushed breakfast.

I love to have a banana milk shake for brekky. A raw egg, banana, honey, milk in a blender. Quick and easy. But I have that after freshly squeezed orange juice, a bowl of porridge and a slice of toast.

If you want to skip a meal, skip lunch, especially those sandwiches. Too much bread will pile on the weight.

Well, the protein shake is one hour before PT, so I guess you could say it is a rather late breakfast! Then PT is usually at 1pm, and it will be 2.30 or so before I get my sticky mitts on a tuna salad or cheese & ham sarnie (brown bread). That's quite late so I can just have a small dinner - tonight for example it was some clear beef & veggie soup plus some fruit (grapes)

Your point about not skipping brekkie is bang on, but getting up at 05.30am every weekday - sorry but my stomach just isn't ready for solids at that time - there's usually some orange juice in the fridge at work though - try to grab a couple of small cartons around 07.45 when I get in...

CC

PS. 122.7kg after PT (did an hours circuit training for a change), so all those Blighty carbs seem to be burning off quite quick!

C C, the problem with your routine ( as I see it) is that you are exercising on an empty stomach....apart from your protein drink.

Some people will tell you that you will burn more fat on an empty stomach but studies have shown that fat burning doesn't start until you're 20 minutes into your cardio workout. That means you've wasted 20 minutes without a good source of fuel to sustain you. That could lead to fatigue before your body even starts metabolizing fat. You may even burn muscle if you don't have the necessary fuel for your workouts.

Other benefits to eating before your workout:

* Boost recovery and strength gains

* Sustain longer, more intense workouts

* Avoid low blood sugar, which can make you feel dizzy or nauseous

The orange juice that I suggest you drink (for your vitamin C intake) is freshly squeezed juice, not that reconstituted crap sold in cartons/tins. When I say "freshly squeezed" I mean squeezed and drunk immediately, not squeezed the night before and kept in the fridge.

OK, so your time may be very limited in the mornings for a sit down style brekky but you should be able to have your juice and two to three Weetbix biscuits with some cold/warm milk. Five minutes maximum, and it's in your stomach and it's not heavy. Then take your daughter to school, drink your protein drink before your work out and you should feel much stronger during the workout.

Give it a go, you might enjoy the results.

Well, this is a bit depressing! 2 weeks ago, I decided to try to lose some weight and get into better shape. Prior to that I weighed 77 kg, (173cm height) flabby chest, paunch, love handles, cycled a bit, drank beer, eat rice etc etc.

I have never been a huge eater, but I wanted to bring my weight down to about 70kg.

I cut out beer, coffee, rice, extra sugar etc etc.

Started cycling 10km each day (level ground but riding strenously)

Press-ups, crunches each day, (slowly increasing the number each day).

My daily food is typically:

Breakfast:

unsweetened muesli with zero-fat yoghurt

2 boiled eggs

green tea

1 slice of toast with thin peanut butter

1 glass of cranberry juice

1 bottle of water

2 bananas

Lunch:

1 glass of red wine

1 tuna salad

Evening meal:

Grilled fish or chicken with vegetables

1 bottle of water

Snacks:

bottles of water, handful of nuts, fresh fruit

Despite 2 weeks of this, although I feel more 'healthy' and my chest is a little toned up, my weight is still 77.0kg! No sign of any improvement with the paunch (beer gut) and love handles.

I am enjoying this diet and not missing the previous foods. But can informed individuals advise me if it's normal not to lose any weight at all after 2 weeks? Should I continue with the same regime or make some changes? (to either diet or exercises)?

Thanks

Simon

Takes a little longer than two weeks, hang in there Simon. You are on the right track, the results will be a bit slow at first but well, very well worthy of the wait. Give us an update at the six weeks point ok. STANDFAST!! no PUN intented :o:D

Edited by BigSnake

C C, the problem with your routine ( as I see it) is that you are exercising on an empty stomach....apart from your protein drink.

Some people will tell you that you will burn more fat on an empty stomach but studies have shown that fat burning doesn't start until you're 20 minutes into your cardio workout. That means you've wasted 20 minutes without a good source of fuel to sustain you. That could lead to fatigue before your body even starts metabolizing fat. You may even burn muscle if you don't have the necessary fuel for your workouts.

Other benefits to eating before your workout:

* Boost recovery and strength gains

* Sustain longer, more intense workouts

* Avoid low blood sugar, which can make you feel dizzy or nauseous

The orange juice that I suggest you drink (for your vitamin C intake) is freshly squeezed juice, not that reconstituted crap sold in cartons/tins. When I say "freshly squeezed" I mean squeezed and drunk immediately, not squeezed the night before and kept in the fridge.

OK, so your time may be very limited in the mornings for a sit down style brekky but you should be able to have your juice and two to three Weetbix biscuits with some cold/warm milk. Five minutes maximum, and it's in your stomach and it's not heavy. Then take your daughter to school, drink your protein drink before your work out and you should feel much stronger during the workout.

Give it a go, you might enjoy the results.

Lost 22kg fat, gained 5kg muscle so far - reckon my results are OK :o But I take your post in the spirit intended and will try to get some 'solids' in before hitting the gym - guess I can always nip out of the office around 11 or something, then maybe have the protein shake straight after training.

Cheers,

CC

• 2 weeks later...

How is it going captain ?

Here im still loosing weights.. slowly but steadily around a kg a week. Gaining muscle at the same time but that cant go on forever because this only happens to absolute beginners and people who trained before but stopped for a long time (me) and once you reach a certain level you can only loose weight or gain muscle.

121.2kg - so have now burnt off what I put back on in the UK plus some more.

Still majoring on the cardio based work (boxing training or circuits) during the week, as my bodyfat level remains too high, but combined with a 2 hour resistance training workout on Saturday mornings. Like you say, it's important to balance muscle strength/tone with fat burning activity or else in the long run you will hit a barrier to progress.

Thanks for the support!

CC

121.2kg - so have now burnt off what I put back on in the UK plus some more.

Still majoring on the cardio based work (boxing training or circuits) during the week, as my bodyfat level remains too high, but combined with a 2 hour resistance training workout on Saturday mornings. Like you say, it's important to balance muscle strength/tone with fat burning activity or else in the long run you will hit a barrier to progress.

Thanks for the support!

CC

Im doing 2 days of heavy weight training then a day of cardio, and so on and so on. I really hate the cardio because its boring but i love the weight training i always have. I believe loosing weight is largely dependent on your dieet and not on cardio (while i we still have to do it) Because the nr of calories burned is not that high. When i do an intensive cardio workout 50 min i only burn around 400 cals. With a good diet you can go up to or even a lil over 500 cals deficit. (btw you never know how much you really burn because all machines give different reading the only thing that comes a bit closer is a real independant heart rate monitor)

Im doing 2 days of heavy weight training then a day of cardio, and so on and so on. I really hate the cardio because its boring but i love the weight training i always have. I believe loosing weight is largely dependent on your dieet and not on cardio (while i we still have to do it) Because the nr of calories burned is not that high. When i do an intensive cardio workout 50 min i only burn around 400 cals. With a good diet you can go up to or even a lil over 500 cals deficit. (btw you never know how much you really burn because all machines give different reading the only thing that comes a bit closer is a real independant heart rate monitor)

Try something a bit different than ploughing away on the cardio machines maybe (agree with your comments about boredom)? The boxing thing has largely kicked "traditional" cardio into touch for me - doing an hour of full on 3 minute rounds is waaaaaay more easy to really get going on, or else circuit training gives you a bit more variety too. I can easy lose 1.1 - 1.2kg in an hour doing either of those, although some of it is water of course.

Just a thought,

CC

Try something a bit different than ploughing away on the cardio machines maybe (agree with your comments about boredom)? The boxing thing has largely kicked "traditional" cardio into touch for me - doing an hour of full on 3 minute rounds is waaaaaay more easy to really get going on, or else circuit training gives you a bit more variety too. I can easy lose 1.1 - 1.2kg in an hour doing either of those, although some of it is water of course.

Just a thought,

CC

Correction most of it is water not some. A kg of fat is between 7000-9000 cals. No way you can burn that in an hour. So don't kid yourself. I loose a lot too when i come off the crosstrainer but i know most of it is water.

I might start doing something else, i'm not sure yet but so far things are going wel.

Dear Simon

i would like to ask you .. how old are you first? your age does matter to your body lose as well .. did you used to workout before? what type?

10 KM cycling is cardio basicaly .. you should try different exercises ... and for me as a person i advice you to skip robe .. skipping can burn faster fat then running or cycling .. and trust me you'll see the different and how light you can be.

:o

Shu :D