20 Baht Atm Withdrawal Fee

I've just noticed in my bank account that 20 baht has been added to the withdrawal amount for withdrawals I've made since 2008-07-21.

e.g. I see "2020.00THB" in the transaction details, even though I had only withdrawn 2000, and "10020.00THB" even though I had only withdrawn 10000.

My withdrawals prior to 2008-07-21 do not have 20 baht added. I had made a withdrawal on 2008-07-07 that appears as "3000.00THB" in the transaction details.

I'm not sure exactly when this fee was introduced because I didn't make withdrawals after 2008-07-07 or before 2008-07-21.

The withdrawals were from an Australian Bank account and not a Thai Bank account. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I've only been using SCB ATMs. Is is just SCB who has introduced the 20 baht fee?

Does anyone know details about this new 20 baht withdrawal fee?

I've just noticed in my bank account that 20 baht has been added to the withdrawal amount for withdrawals I've made since 2008-07-21.

e.g. I see "2020.00THB" in the transaction details, even though I had only withdrawn 2000, and "10020.00THB" even though I had only withdrawn 10000.

My withdrawals prior to 2008-07-21 do not have 20 baht added. I had made a withdrawal on 2008-07-07 that appears as "3000.00THB" in the transaction details.

I'm not sure exactly when this fee was introduced because I didn't make withdrawals after 2008-07-07 or before 2008-07-21.

The withdrawals were from an Australian Bank account and not a Thai Bank account. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I've only been using SCB ATMs. Is is just SCB who has introduced the 20 baht fee?

Do a search here on TV for SCB or Siam Commercial Bank AND fee...and you will find a couple recent threads on this subject... Bottom line... yes they (SCB) have begun charging a 20 baht transaction fee for foreign ATM card useage.... But other Thai banks, including BKK Bank, have not done so yet. So... switch your withdrawals to another fee-free Thai bank...

Do a search here on TV for SCB or Siam Commercial Bank AND fee...and you will find a couple recent threads on this subject... Bottom line... yes they (SCB) have begun charging a 20 baht transaction fee for foreign ATM card useage.... But other Thai banks, including BKK Bank, have not done so yet. So... switch your withdrawals to another fee-free Thai bank...

All Thai banks charge 20 Baht when you withdraw from another banks atm AND EVEN YOUR OWN atm IF YOU ARE OUT OF THE AREA THAT THEY COVER--I.E. IN THE NEXT TOWN AND SO ON.

nOT SURE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU are meaning??

Sorry, I hit the caps lock, by mistake, and can't bothered to retype.

All Thai banks charge 20 Baht when you withdraw from another banks atm AND EVEN YOUR OWN atm IF YOU ARE OUT OF THE AREA THAT THEY COVER--I.E. IN THE NEXT TOWN AND SO ON.

nOT SURE IF THAT'S WHAT YOU are meaning??

Sorry, I hit the caps lock, by mistake, and can't bothered to retype.

This charge relates to foreign ATM cards (not the inter-province charge on Thai ATM cards). Not all banks charge it and in my limited experience only Siam Commercial Bank.

A list of any others would perhaps be useful.

Can someone take me through the motions prior to withdrawing funds with my Nationwide visa card please.

As i mentioned on another thread, i tried once, had my request refused and haven,t had the bottle to try it again out of fear of losing my card.

I used the same proceedure i do back home, but maybe i,m missing something so a check list would be appreciated.

Thanks

marshbags :o

Can someone take me through the motions prior to withdrawing funds with my Nationwide visa card please.

marshbags - I shall take you at your word that it is a Visa card and not a Flex account card. i only mention this because the ATM procedures often give you the question "are you taking from.....savings account....current account....card account...." or something along those lines. If you select the wrong one it will not recognise the card and reject the card.

You shouldn't have to worry about having a few goes at getting some money out. As long as your PIN number is correct you opt out at any further point by 'cancelling' (3 wrong PINs can a bloody nuisance as the machine may well swallow your card.) In theory you can go 18 times in one day and take out 1,000 Baht each time

I guess the same £300 per day withdrawal limit applies (not sure).

Finally, be aware that you will be charged interest from the date of withdrawal on the Visa card. The Flex account does not as funds are sucked straight out of the account. I guess same 20 baht fee at SCB applies.

Edited by Chaimai

marshbags - I shall take you at your word that it is a Visa card and not a Flex account card. i only mention this because the ATM procedures often give you the question "are you taking from.....savings account....current account....card account...." or something along those lines. If you select the wrong one it will not recognise the card and reject the card.

You shouldn't have to worry about having a few goes at getting some money out. As long as your PIN number is correct you opt out at any further point by 'cancelling' (3 wrong PINs can a bloody nuisance as the machine may well swallow your card.) In theory you can go 18 times in one day and take out 1,000 Baht each time

I guess the same £300 per day withdrawal limit applies (not sure).

Finally, be aware that you will be charged interest from the date of withdrawal on the Visa card. The Flex account does not as funds are sucked straight out of the account. I guess same 20 baht fee at SCB applies.

Thanks for the info CM., does yours have the same info on it.

It says " debit card " top left.

" Nationwide " top right.

" 4 groups of 4 numbers in the middle "

At the bottom it gives the account Number which is for my Flexi acount.

I seem to remember my last card had Flexi somewhere on it and several references to what ATM facilities can be utilised for withdrawal.

It also mentioned Cirrus on it and my local branch told me if this was on any ATM,s It was good for using.

The new one is different and has got me wondering a bit.

It seems to be a Flexi acc. debit card, going on the account details relevant to using it for ATM use.

I,ll give it another try on Monday during opening hours ( Kasikorn Bank )

marshbags

P.S.

I,ve just googled Cirrus and a GAP website came up with the following that seems to compliment my own N.Wide advice.

Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:13 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My account was opened the other day and i received my card. Just to double check i called nationwide and they said as long as ur card has CIRRUS on the back of ur card u can use it in any ATM showing CIRRUS on it.

Regarding banking make sure u register for both Internet & Telephone banking. I would also make a close Family member 3rd party on ur account just in case something goes wrong on ur account and u may want funds transfered over seas.

Edited by marshbags

HI

BBK bank do charge 20B if you dont use there own ATM, have done it for years.

Sorry... this is NOT correct. BKK Bank charges some fees when a person uses their BKK Bank ATM card either 1) in BKK when a BKKB account holder uses their card more than 3 times per month at another Thai bank's ATM, and/or 2) when using any ATMs outside the BKK area.

However, regarding using foreign-based ATM cards in BKKB ATMs, I have various from the U.S. that I have always used in BKK Bank ATMs in Bangkok and never pay any additional fee for those transactions.

And, from what I have read here on TV, I don't believe anyone has posted as yet saying that any of the other Thai banks have followed SCB's move to begin charging a fee for foreign ATM card cash withdrawals...

i only know that this fee is something terrible. would cause quite some sleepless nights if it happened to me. thanks for your warning. no more ATM withdrawals for me!

note to myself: confiscate wife's card and destroy immediately! :o

A fixed amount fee means that we should withdraw larger amounts each time to minimise the percentage cut that they take from us. A 500 baht withdrawal would incur a 4% commission to the bank, which is large. If you were to withdraw 500 baht every day for a month, you'd be giving away a total of around 600 baht to the bank every month unnecessarily. Such money could instead go to many other things, like charity. I just don't like making the rich richer if I don't have to, so I will do what I reasonably can to minimise what I give away to them. 20 baht may seem like a small amount of money, but banks make huge profits from fees largely because of the high frequency of transactions. It seems like they are trying to scour more profits any way they can, and the latest is a new transaction fee.

Most of us who withdraw from foreign banks already get charged high fees from those banks, plus may also get swindled with a worse currency exchange rate than the spot market rate. So in just one transaction you get hit from a few different directions simultaneously.

I'm not coming to Thailand any more!

Paying 60 cents to withdraw money from my own bank account will ruin my holiday and bankrupt me!

The horror! The horror!

There are quite a few other ways that you can be parted with your money here, some which can truly ruin your holiday and/or bankrupt you and may be stronger reasons not to come.

A fixed amount fee means that we should withdraw larger amounts each time to minimise the percentage cut that they take from us. A 500 baht withdrawal would incur a 4% commission to the bank, which is large. If you were to withdraw 500 baht every day for a month, you'd be giving away a total of around 600 baht to the bank every month unnecessarily. Such money could instead go to many other things, like charity. I just don't like making the rich richer if I don't have to, so I will do what I reasonably can to minimise what I give away to them. 20 baht may seem like a small amount of money, but banks make huge profits from fees largely because of the high frequency of transactions. It seems like they are trying to scour more profits any way they can, and the latest is a new transaction fee.

Most of us who withdraw from foreign banks already get charged high fees from those banks, plus may also get swindled with a worse currency exchange rate than the spot market rate. So in just one transaction you get hit from a few different directions simultaneously.

How dumb is it then to be withdrawing 500 baht every day or a month? Stupidity always costs.

Why not go to the bank once or twice a week and don't use foreign banks when here on the ground?

I don't mnd paying K-Bank 20 baht. They take care of my money safely, give me excellent and pleasant service in English and even pay me interest that more than offsets the 20 baht here and there.

Edited by johnnyk

I appreciate the humor/sarcasm of a couple of the posters above...

But in all seriousness, there's just no reason to be paying such a fee(s) when you really don't have to...

Yes, I could decide to only make seldom, large ATM withdrawals from SCB to minimize their 20 baht per transaction withdrawal fee... But... I don't like keeping large cash amounts at home or in my wallet... one for safety reasons, and two because, if I'm carrying more, I tend to spend more, more quickly... So, I make a lot of smaller frequent ATM withdrawals as a way to help stay within my own budgets...

In a month, I might typically do 20 ATM withdrawals using U.S. based cards. So at 20 baht a pop if I continued using SCB (which I won't), that's 400 baht down the drain, for no good reason.

That's enough to buy a decent farang dinner at any number of places around town, or a whole lot more in Thai food. Or a couple of beers...or or or.... Why would I be wanting to needlessly chuck away that money every month, when by using a different Thai bank card, I don't have to???

A fixed amount fee means that we should withdraw larger amounts each time to minimise the percentage cut that they take from us. A 500 baht withdrawal would incur a 4% commission to the bank, which is large. If you were to withdraw 500 baht every day for a month...

you need psychiatric help :o

But in all seriousness, there's just no reason to be paying such a fee(s) when you really don't have to...

????

OP was moaning about having to pay 20 baht to a Thai bank for an ATM w/d. How to avoid this then?

You can't. Their bank, they charge you what they want for the service.

Use a Thai card, you're gonna pay the 20 baht, no matter. And maybe a bit more if you use your card with a different Thai bank than the one that issued your card.

The only difference between using a US card and a Thai card is you will pay even more, maybe on both ends, for using the foreign card.

Yes, I could decide to only make seldom, large ATM withdrawals from SCB to minimize their 20 baht per transaction withdrawal fee... But... I don't like keeping large cash amounts at home or in my wallet... one for safety reasons, and two because, if I'm carrying more, I tend to spend more, more quickly... So, I make a lot of smaller frequent ATM withdrawals as a way to help stay within my own budgets...

In a month, I might typically do 20 ATM withdrawals using U.S. based cards. So at 20 baht a pop if I continued using SCB (which I won't), that's 400 baht down the drain, for no good reason.

That's enough to buy a decent farang dinner at any number of places around town, or a whole lot more in Thai food. Or a couple of beers...or or or.... Why would I be wanting to needlessly chuck away that money every month, when by using a different Thai bank card, I don't have to???

A non sarcastic observation.

No need to throw your money away at all.

No need to carry it around with you or leave it in an insecure place.

Assuming you have a Thai bank account and if not why not open one,............... to

Draw out in one go what you need and your income can allow you in one go, put it into your bank account and then take it out as and when you need it Monday to Friday.

Concerning weekends and bank holidays, ascertain what you need / can spend and draw the extra.

Enforce your self discipline and as we should do, only spend what your budgeting for along with using the old common sense.

If such occasions come up whereby you need a bit extra only then would you need to go to the ATM for emergency funding.

20 baht IMHO for the convenience of what you need is a small price to pay, if you do it in one go.

Then again I always plan for tomorrow and spend accordingly so maybe my way of doing things differ from yours.

Here's a guy that gets it and understands the value of money. Man, I need to invest in some bank stocks and collect some fees from the "I'm wealthy and 20 baht is nothing to me" crowd :o

From what i understand is this. I bank with Kasikorn at Siam Square. If i was to use my ATM card in another area, say Pattaya for instsance, i would be charged 20bht, even if i used another Kasikorn Bank. When i used my UK atm card however, Kasikorn atm did print that i have not been charged for the servie.

Edited by CCCP

Here's a guy that gets it and understands the value of money. Man, I need to invest in some bank stocks and collect some fees from the "I'm wealthy and 20 baht is nothing to me" crowd :D

i don't think anybody said that. and those who complain about the loss of THB 20.- should rather use their time to evaluate their spending patterns as well as their financial matters, do some research and try to find a way to compensate for the outrageous ATM fees. all afore said of course in my [not so] humble opinion.

:o

????

OP was moaning about having to pay 20 baht to a Thai bank for an ATM w/d. How to avoid this then?

You can't. Their bank, they charge you what they want for the service.

Use a Thai card, you're gonna pay the 20 baht, no matter. And maybe a bit more if you use your card with a different Thai bank than the one that issued your card.

The only difference between using a US card and a Thai card is you will pay even more, maybe on both ends, for using the foreign card.

Johnny... sorry...nothing personal here, but you are just WRONG!!!!

I have both U.S. and Thai bank accounts and cards... And being judicious and informed in which ones I use and where, I NEVER pay any fees for ATM withdrawals in Thailand... NEVER.... ZERO!!! Except for a day or two when SCB caught me by surprise with their new fee....before I could drop using their ATMs....

If your own banking habits involve paying fees, and you don't mind, that's fine... But really, you shouldn't be suggesting to everyone else here that they have no choice... Because clearly, people have many choices available to pay NO fees. And doing that doesn't involve any inconvenience at all... just being smart about how you choose and use your accounts/cards.

The amount is irrelevant here. If someone is taking money from you without reason, be it 1 baht or 1 million baht, you have a right to complain. If you feel that you are suitably rich enough that it would be below you to complain when the sum is small then that's your prerogative, but don't try and belittle others who feel differently.

The real issue here is, are the banks taking the money without due cause? If there's justification for it then fine. If not, they should stop.

A non sarcastic observation.

20 baht IMHO for the convenience of what you need is a small price to pay, if you do it in one go.

Then again I always plan for tomorrow and spend accordingly so maybe my way of doing things differ from yours.

Marsh, I have no inconvenience at all... I draw my funds from Thai bank ATMs (using both U.S. and Thai bank cards) when and where I want, anytime, but simply choose to use banks and cards that charge me no transaction fees.

And, I likewise always plan my finances for tomorrow, which includes not wasting money on things that have no purpose or value... like unnecessary bank fees.

There's absolutely no reason to do otherwise. My life and spending/habits haven't changed one bit...except now instead of using SCB, I use others.

The amount is irrelevant here. If someone is taking money from you without reason, be it 1 baht or 1 million baht, you have a right to complain.

complaining is not a solution. avoiding or compensating the fee is.

The amount is irrelevant here. If someone is taking money from you without reason, be it 1 baht or 1 million baht, you have a right to complain.

Just because complaining may or may not result in a solution, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, does it?

Or have years of marriage taught you to just keep your mouth shut? :o

Just because complaining may or may not result in a solution, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, does it?

Or have years of marriage taught you to just keep your mouth shut? :D

i never complain to my wife. i just tell "do or don't do!" and she always complies. she does or doesn't. the same goes for our dog. he is very obedient. if i tell him "are you coming now in or not?!" he will come in... or not :o