Bkk To Nong Khai

mortenaa

Hi guys!

Im planning to take my Civic out for a spin. A roadtrip from BKK to Udon Thani and Nong Khai. I plan to park my car somewhere, cross the border for a new exit/entry stamp in my passport, then return.

So here is what i wonder

- Do you know anyone that did this trip before?

- Any roads i should avoid?

- Should i park my car at Udon Thani, or is it somewhere (safe) to park the car close to the border in Nong Khai?

Any other suggestions, please let me hear them :o

Edited by mortenaa

I live not too far from Khon Kaen and have done this trip many times, albeit some north and some south. The road north is pretty straight forward, BKK, Saraburi, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai.

You can leave your car safely at one of the many "visa shops" about 100 yards from the border in Nong Khai. If you're planning to leave it overnight there's a lock-up garage behind the "visa shops".

Don't forget to stock up at the duty free shops on the Laos side of the border, the booze and ciggies are cheaper.

Edited by SweatySock

I live not too far from Khon Kaen and have done this trip many times, albeit some north and some south. The road north is pretty straight forward, BKK, Saraburi, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai.

You can leave your car safely at one of the many "visa shops" about 100 yards from the border in Nong Khai. If you're planning to leave it overnight there's a lock-up garage behind the "visa shops".

Don't forget to stock up at the duty free shops on the Laos side of the border, the booze and ciggies are cheaper.

Thanks man! This is great advise :-D

Can you just enter Lao? Do I need a Visa in advance? Can i stay there 5 minutes and return ?

Edited by mortenaa

You do need a visa for Lao.

There is no minimum time restrictions for Lao although you could create a scene by actually sprinting.

Over visit duty free and back is normal procedure - park your car as advised then walk 200m to depart immigration take the bus 20 baht (they run very regular) process application for Lao visa approx 1500 baht + 1 x passport photo enter L:ao immig pay 10/20 baht entry fee duty free leave Lao immigartion bus 20baht back to Thai side of border enter Thailand (stamp in) and away you go.

I went to Vientiange (sorry for misspelling) few yars ago with wife + few in-laws. We stayed in a guesthouse next to Mekong in Thai side overnight and took a one day guided tour into Lao's capital. The guesthouse let us to leave our car in their car park for the day, a minibus picked us from there and took us over the border where the guide was waiting with a left hand side steerwheeled van.

Anyway, my suggestion is to take a day off and see the sights. It costs a bit more but can be a good trip, ours was. A dinner the night before along the Mekong river is nice, see all the lights along Thai side and darkness on the other side. And the quality of the [french] bread on the other side is something you'll only find in best bakers in Pattaya.

Did the trip a couple of weeks ago including an overnight in Vientiane. Left my car in the car park just before the shop houses - 100 Baht for covered parking and free tuk-tuk to immigration. Visa on arrival for Lao pretty straight forward - even though I had forgotten my photo. Stayed at the Monkol hotel on the river - big river view room with nice big balcony for 1000 Baht including american breakfast. definite bargains in Lao duty free too - carton of LM menthol for 264 Baht is cheapest I have seen for a long time.