Inflation:pattaya Style

djinn

Pizza: 170 b (Dao Cafe)

and so on ...

Agree with on poster...Dao has great pizzas for B 190 and life of the Farside is great!

Bugger me! Dao pizza went up 20 baht in less than 2 hours!!!

Inflation has really hit the dark side!

i needed some new sheets for a bed i recently bought with my great credit card; for a single twin bed. i wanted better (greater) than 220 thread count. i wanted a fitted sheet, a top sheet (or duvet cover), and a standard pillow case. at homepro, homeworks and the outlet mall, they were quoting me 5,500 to 7,500 baht, including their current 35% discounts, approximate).

i found these prices insane. so i was in Bangkok and went to the real department stores there where they have real "amazing thailand" sales, unlike Pattaya. i got the identical, i repeat identical 286 thread count "exotica" brand sheets at the chitlom Central department store sales "event", for under 1,200 baht. there are never any real sales in pattaya. bangkok had all sorts of real sales in every department store.

It must just be eating you up that despite the protection of Batmans credit card, there are even more Pattaya Thais intent on stealing your money. Maybe it's not too late to sell up and move to Bangkok.

i'm also troubled by strange pricing, like why is an ice cream cone at Swansen's 35 baht but it's 55 baht for a smaller one at BaskinRobins? how much different can it be?

and why are some Subway sandwiches more expensive in thailand than in the U.S.A.?

and why is bottled water 7 baht at Villa market, and it's 28 baht at their counter restaurant, and a can of coke is 12 baht in the market but also 28 baht at the counter restaurant?

and with my discount card for Accor hotels Asia, why do they give discounts in the restaurants of 25% if one is eating, 50% if two are eating, 33% if 3 are eating, and 25% if four are eating? shouldnt it be more like 25% off for one person, 30% off for two, 35% off for 3 and maybe 40% off for four?

and why is it usually more expensive per can/bottle to buy a six pack of something, than single cans/bottles?

in other words why do the thais punish people that want to spend more money in their store/restaurants?

What's with the wailing and gnashing of teeth? Oh, I get it, Swensens wouldn't take your bulletproof and invincible credit card so there's no way of getting a charge back. Tough deal. I guess the issuing bank must draw a line somewhere.

I reckon the higher prices are charged at places where you can sit and enjoy your 'expensive' purchase, with a padded stool or an air conditioner or maybe a pretty waitress. I consider that charging more for a product in a restaurant versus a supermarket is basic global marketing and not just a Thai affectation. Or you can buy in the aisles and then take a seat on beach road and enjoy your 'cheap' imbibe there with the other old cheap buggers.

I am really sorry but it does appear that the Thais really have got in in for you. Maybe don't even stop in Bangkok, just head for the airport. Need any help packing?

i'm also troubled by strange pricing, like why is an ice cream cone at Swansen's 35 baht but it's 55 baht for a smaller one at BaskinRobins? how much different can it be?

and why are some Subway sandwiches more expensive in thailand than in the U.S.A.?

and why is bottled water 7 baht at Villa market, and it's 28 baht at their counter restaurant, and a can of coke is 12 baht in the market but also 28 baht at the counter restaurant?

and with my discount card for Accor hotels Asia, why do they give discounts in the restaurants of 25% if one is eating, 50% if two are eating, 33% if 3 are eating, and 25% if four are eating? shouldnt it be more like 25% off for one person, 30% off for two, 35% off for 3 and maybe 40% off for four?

and why is it usually more expensive per can/bottle to buy a six pack of something, than single cans/bottles?

in other words why do the thais punish people that want to spend more money in their store/restaurants?

I bet Soi dogs bark at you, as well. :o:D:D

What's with the wailing and gnashing of teeth? Oh, I get it, Swensens wouldn't take your bulletproof and invincible credit card so there's no way of getting a charge back. Tough deal. I guess the issuing bank must draw a line somewhere.

I reckon the higher prices are charged at places where you can sit and enjoy your 'expensive' purchase, with a padded stool or an air conditioner or maybe a pretty waitress. I consider that charging more for a product in a restaurant versus a supermarket is basic global marketing and not just a Thai affectation. Or you can buy in the aisles and then take a seat on beach road and enjoy your 'cheap' imbibe there with the other old cheap buggers.

I am really sorry but it does appear that the Thais really have got in in for you. Maybe don't even stop in Bangkok, just head for the airport. Need any help packing?

yes, i need help packing; but packing fees have gone up too. too bad my credit card doesn't cover unjust packing assistance fees. i' guess i'l just have to stay and stew here with you.

So, most of us can agree that prices are up in Pattaya etc.

The question becomes: what to do about it?

Whether its estate agents, shops, bars, restaurants and so on, then where possible do not pay these inflated prices and look/shop around or seek alternatives.

If more of us do that then we will soon see a reduction in prices.....

right?!

Edited by R123

The Tuesday and Firiay Market Car Park Soi Bouakow, a very very bad car park full of holes and muddy water especialy when its been raining, has been 20 baht for the last couple of years, last week it had gone up to 30 baht, I would not mind so much if the land was ok, but my car is filthy when i come out, so I am going to look to park elseware from now.

Typical. Up 50 percent overnight. There is definitely a serious inflation bug in the air and it is not good for anyone, local Thais or farangs. This may be the start of something that could really get out of hand ...

It seems like it's common in Thailand that you pay the same price for something for several years and then you have a sudden high price hike that people think is unreasonable, in most other countries you have more frequent price adjustments and don't really notice the hike that much.

Have you just crawled from under a rock :D

What is it you dont understand about supermarket prices v restaurant prices :o

One thing to remember in Pattaya. and that’s

Watch what you buy and where you by it.

Because prices are up and its not just fuel costs doing it.

It’s full on Greed at some places in pattaya.

I still think pattaya is a rip off now days.

Remember when you went into Louts and came out with two bags of shopping

for around 800 baht, not now days its 2000 or 3000 baht. for the same stuff.

Have a nice day

i needed some new sheets for a bed i recently bought with my great credit card; for a single twin bed. i wanted better (greater) than 220 thread count. i wanted a fitted sheet, a top sheet (or duvet cover), and a standard pillow case. at homepro, homeworks and the outlet mall, they were quoting me 5,500 to 7,500 baht, including their current 35% discounts, approximate).

i found these prices insane. so i was in Bangkok and went to the real department stores there where they have real "amazing thailand" sales, unlike Pattaya. i got the identical, i repeat identical 286 thread count "exotica" brand sheets at the chitlom Central department store sales "event", for under 1,200 baht. there are never any real sales in pattaya. bangkok had all sorts of real sales in every department store.

Yes. Pattaya locals or merchants are treating the town as a pure tourist trap now. I saw signs of that before, but the process is accelerating. Also, remember the articles in the papers last year where the city was trying to get all the hotels to raise their prices so they would attract a "more desirable" group of tourists?

and so on ...

Agree with on poster...Dao has great pizzas for B 190 and life of the Farside is great!

Depends of toppings...my fav spicy salami pizza is 190...aroy maak maak :o

and so on ...

Depends of toppings...my fav spicy salami pizza is 190...aroy maak maak :D

So, Dao cafe charges for EXTRAs ? :o

"bread-and-butter"

= literally translated from german meaning "average, nothing special, run-of-the-mill" :o

Plain Vanilla.

Hopefully it came out of the backside of a water buffalo.

Song Tao's here used to be 3 baht. Overnight 7 baht.

Thanks toxin.

Jai yen yen. You do not have to pay council tax.

Just wait - somebody will break ranks soon.

<deleted> does paying council tax have to do with anything :o Break ranks with what?

What medication are you on?

Council Tax has a lot to do with it for me - I pay more than twice a month for sweet fa on my UK house than I pay in rent on my Thai bungalow.

Break ranks - even the Thais will eventually realise that if they push up prices (the greed element - see plasticpig) and customers don't buy and they can only keep increasing to compensate for so long. The smart ones will adjust their pricing policy to attract/retain customers - economic theory, chai mai ? khao jai mai ?

What medication - I was told that I didn't need medication, I would be OK. Why do you think I need medication, who told you that (oh the voices in my head have started again). Leave me alone I DON'T NEED MEDICATION !

The Cafe's at Soi Bua Khao market used to be 15-25 baht for a soft drink. Now, they are all 30-35 baht. So its more than doubled in price.

Just like the car park at the market, they only tell you AFTER you have parked your car, or AFTER you have finished your drink. So - I'll not be returning to the carpark (along with Pattaya_girl) and never went back to the cafe. Its not the amount of money, but a 20 baht increase is rather high!

Just wait - somebody will break ranks soon.

<deleted> does paying council tax have to do with anything :D Break ranks with what?

What medication are you on?

Council Tax has a lot to do with it for me - I pay more than twice a month for sweet fa on my UK house than I pay in rent on my Thai bungalow.

Break ranks - even the Thais will eventually realise that if they push up prices (the greed element - see plasticpig) and customers don't buy and they can only keep increasing to compensate for so long. The smart ones will adjust their pricing policy to attract/retain customers - economic theory, chai mai ? khao jai mai ?

What medication - I was told that I didn't need medication, I would be OK. Why do you think I need medication, who told you that (oh the voices in my head have started again). Leave me alone I DON'T NEED MEDICATION !

Sorry - i thought you could possibly be on the same medication as me :o Re. coucnil tax i do believe it to be somewhat expensive. However, you may find that you have public services - like schools, librarys, firebrigade, police, public parks, etc. etc. Thailand has none of these things - only the illusion of a few :D

Very true. But Foreigners living in Thailand have to pay for visa runs/Visas health insurance, medical costs and over inflated prices for heavily taxed foreign foods. I think that adds up to more than Council tax.

Today i parked my motorbike in the underground car-park at Royal Garden, after a quick visit in and out i returned to expect the usual 10bt charge, but to my surprise the attendant asked for 20bt.

So thats another 100% inflatory rise to add to the list of won't be using that service again, i'll just park on 2nd Rd and walk in instead.