Phuket-bound Tourists Stranded In Bangkok

george

Phuket-bound tourists stranded in Bangkok

PHUKET: -- Now that One-Two-Go and Nok Air have stopped flying to Phuket, many tourists are unable to find flights to our southern isle.

Angry Finnish tourist Arto Tiitinen called from Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok this morning to inform the Gazette that many other irate tourists were waiting for standby flights.

“I am surprised that there are not extra flights, now my family must holiday elsewhere. I have no problem with money, it is just that there are no tickets to Phuket available for now at any price,” he said.

The Gazette checked the Air Asia website, which showed that the airline’s flights to Phuket are fully booked until Tuesday.

According to the THAI Airways website, as of this morning, the soonest flight THAI has available to Phuket is on Tuesday for 5,495 baht.

Those wanting a cheaper flight to Phuket will have to wait until Thursday, when off-peak flights cost 4,840 baht per person.

Those wishing to be guaranteed seating or cheaper prices are advised to book well in advance.

As for Mr Tiitinen, “Maybe I’ll take my family to Chiang Mai on holiday instead,” he said.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-08-02

Well two airlines are now gone, and people should have booked flights prior instead of assuming they could easily get flights down to Phuket.

Pretty smug comment to what could be a huge problem for tourism and business's here I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though isn't It only a couple of weeks or so that some Airlines have either suspended flight's here, or have gone altogether ?

If so, I think this might have caught a number of people unawares - not being local or fully aware of the situation here.

I know this issue is not just a local issue but a Worldwide one and some holiday makers would of booked their International and Domestic flights well in advance, but I think this has and will affect the more ' casual ' traveller. People who like the freedom to make their decision as to where and when they go to in Thailand, once they're here. I know I used to always travel that way as I'd move on somewhere else dependent on the weather, special occasions, or if I simply got bored with a certain city / place, I'd move on. There's also business people who are affected by all this. For example: I was due to meet with someone here in Phuket this week, though as his first meeting in Bangkok was delayed and overran, by the time he got to the airport, no more flights available that day ( or the next ). He then simply didn't have enough time and had no choice to sit out another couple of days in Bangkok, before his scheduled flight back home to the UK.

I totally understand the situation with the airlines and the financial pressure they are now under, but it does seem something of a knee jerk reaction in parts as there is still plenty of demand for flights here - in fact there's no an obvious over demand.

Cutting down on ( too many ? ) scheduled flights per day / week and increasing the fares quite a bit to try and accommodate the extra fuel charges might have been better for all concerned, as it's a pretty scary mess at the moment.

I know this is a Global issue and many more Airlines are or will be affected Worldwide, though there is still a desire / need for people to travel and if they simply can't ...... !?

Longman & Lorin- Thank you, cuz I agree.

And now for my lament; If only good rail links were in place......

Wouldn't be much help since phuket doesn't have a train station.Oops,almost forgot that last year in april a train derailed at phuket station.

Wouldn't be much help since phuket doesn't have a train station.Oops,almost forgot that last year in april a train derailed at phuket station.

Oh George's April Fools Joke??? (train derailment) :o

Well two airlines are now gone, and people should have booked flights prior instead of assuming they could easily get flights down to Phuket.

A friend of mine booked about 4 months ago a return flight from Phuket to Bangkok on Nok. 2 weeks ago he got an email and they asked for a bank account to refund his money. A reasonable service would have been to switch him to another airline, but at least there is a refund.

I understand as much, but people should be watching very carefully especially the cheapie airlines if they booked in advance. I don't think I've seen any thai airline rebook flights for you - same happened with TG when they discontinued their JFK-BKK route. People went to the airport and well were given quite a shock.

Obviously demand will cause more Phuket flights - no doubt it will be TG and Air Asia, personally a bit nervous about Air Asia. However think should be ok for the rest of 2008.

Edited by britmaveric

Phuket-bound tourists stranded in Bangkok

PHUKET: -- Now that One-Two-Go and Nok Air have stopped flying to Phuket, many tourists are unable to find flights to our southern isle.

Angry Finnish tourist Arto Tiitinen called from Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok this morning to inform the Gazette that many other irate tourists were waiting for standby flights.

“I am surprised that there are not extra flights, now my family must holiday elsewhere. I have no problem with money, it is just that there are no tickets to Phuket available for now at any price,” he said.

The Gazette checked the Air Asia website, which showed that the airline’s flights to Phuket are fully booked until Tuesday.

According to the THAI Airways website, as of this morning, the soonest flight THAI has available to Phuket is on Tuesday for 5,495 baht.

Those wanting a cheaper flight to Phuket will have to wait until Thursday, when off-peak flights cost 4,840 baht per person.

Those wishing to be guaranteed seating or cheaper prices are advised to book well in advance.

As for Mr Tiitinen, “Maybe I’ll take my family to Chiang Mai on holiday instead,” he said.

-- Phuket Gazette 2008-08-02

They can go to Samui :o

er , what if tourists prefer Phuket and have no desire to go to Samui ?

or , visited Samui on their last holiday to Thailand and now want to visit Phuket / Krabi etc. this trip ?

what about all the people ( Thai & Farang ) who live in Phuket - have business in Phuket - have a business in Phuket - work in Phuket ?

do they ( we ) just " go to Samui " instead ?

and what do you think will happen if more tourists do end up going to Samui , as they simply can't get to or face the hassle of trying to get to Phuket ?

surely then, Samui will face the same problem Phuket's now experiencing won't it ?

I do agree, as per a previous post, that more flights should and probably will be made available ahead of the High Season, though I hope that beyond that there is a more sensible approach from the airlines as to the correct ( needed ) amount of scheduled flights in and out of Phuket.

there is a definite 'demand' , so there should surely be a sensible and viable way for the airlines to provide the 'supply' - shouldn't there !?

All of a sudden things have changed for Phuket, Thai Airways is capitalizing heavily on the demise of 1 to Go and Nok Air by upping their seat costs and but not laying on additional flights. Mrs CM just booked her twice yearly return to see family in the North and the cost of the journey has increased by close to 3,000 baht - oddly, folks can fly from Chiang Mai to Phuket for 3,900 but the cost to fly from Phuket to Bangkok starts at 3,650 and is more often than not likely to cost 4,650. Phuket/Utapho (sp) with Bangkok Air at 2,650 is a good alternative but please don't tell everyone! Thai Airways trying to increase revenue at the expense of the country's tourism overall is probably not a sound strategy methinks.

Pretty smug comment to what could be a huge problem for tourism and business's here I think.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though isn't It only a couple of weeks or so that some Airlines have either suspended flight's here, or have gone altogether ?

If so, I think this might have caught a number of people unawares - not being local or fully aware of the situation here.

I know this issue is not just a local issue but a Worldwide one and some holiday makers would of booked their International and Domestic flights well in advance, but I think this has and will affect the more ' casual ' traveller. People who like the freedom to make their decision as to where and when they go to in Thailand, once they're here. I know I used to always travel that way as I'd move on somewhere else dependent on the weather, special occasions, or if I simply got bored with a certain city / place, I'd move on. There's also business people who are affected by all this. For example: I was due to meet with someone here in Phuket this week, though as his first meeting in Bangkok was delayed and overran, by the time he got to the airport, no more flights available that day ( or the next ). He then simply didn't have enough time and had no choice to sit out another couple of days in Bangkok, before his scheduled flight back home to the UK.

I totally understand the situation with the airlines and the financial pressure they are now under, but it does seem something of a knee jerk reaction in parts as there is still plenty of demand for flights here - in fact there's no an obvious over demand.

Cutting down on ( too many ? ) scheduled flights per day / week and increasing the fares quite a bit to try and accommodate the extra fuel charges might have been better for all concerned, as it's a pretty scary mess at the moment.

I know this is a Global issue and many more Airlines are or will be affected Worldwide, though there is still a desire / need for people to travel and if they simply can't ...... !?

sorry to ask as I never fly anywhere at present. Arent there insurances??? several airlines closed and NO insurance to cover tourists????

Living in Phuket, tell me where the Thais managed to derail a train..... Busstation?

THEY CAN COME TO SAMUI ITS NOT RAINING HERE AND NOT TO BUISY

but what about all the screaming noise? :o

not sure if the flight cancelation is the reason, but seems like tourism in phuket had dropped average 20-30 % this month comparing last year, esspecialy the last 2 weeks of july ...

As I am recovering from of all things a motorbike accident (big car pushed me off the road) I havent been a lot to the tourist beaches. However what I see seems to indicate an absolute lack of them except in well establish shopping centers with in addition many escaping up to ISAN. I saw a friend who just bought a house up north and its so much cheaper its worth it...

Obviously my wife is from Phuket so she sees this differently! Whatever is happening no idea but its clear to me that there is a change in tourism. Many temp expats here, working outside Thailand, many temp tourists but how many stay all year... Also retired people have odd stories about imigration indicating they likely get a headache as well but it should be more useful to get rid of Russian building projects then of real retired foreigners...

Totaly smug - who is this a-hole