Huawei Usb Modem Stick

jimmycabs

I am coming to Thailand in a couple of days and have been reading the forums for the best way to obtain mobile internet on my Asus eee pc 701 up in the northeast where i know there is no 3g available.( mukdahan region).

I am currently using a Huawei usb modem E172 on the Vodafone network in the UK which i am very happy with , especially as it was easy to set up with on Linux which is totally new to me.

From what i have read already i had assumed i would have to use a phone with a a usb cable to try and get a connection and linux has some issues with recongising some phones so i was prepared to have windows xp installed to try and get round this issue.

What i would like to know is if i get my Usb modem stick unlocked on the net in the UK which i can do for approx £15,would i be able to use a DTAC or AIS internet sim card to get mobile internet although they are not 3g.

Thanks

Does the device use a simcard?

If it does, and you can get it unlocked, it will probably work in Thailand, albeit only on Edge speeds (tops out at 200 kbps, average more like 120 kbps).

AIS uses the 900 MHz band while Dtac sits on 1800 MHz. As it is a branded modem it's hard to find specifications for it re frequency bands etc.

Also, often with these branded devices you get special drivers/software without ways to change settings, as they will be locked to the provider (Vodafone)...

Wouldn't be a problem on Linux though, that is if you can get it to work!

just an update for future help.I unlocked the usb modem on the internet,went to tukcom in pattaya and bought an internet sim card on pay as you go,popped it in the modem after the card had been activated on a mobile phone,hey presto instant internet!!

I will wait to see the quality of service in the nothheast but the speed in pattaya is very good .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emotic...fault/smile.gif :o:D

• 2 months later...
just an update for future help.I unlocked the usb modem on the internet,went to tukcom in pattaya and bought an internet sim card on pay as you go,popped it in the modem after the card had been activated on a mobile phone,hey presto instant internet!!

I will wait to see the quality of service in the nothheast but the speed in pattaya is very good .

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/style_emotic...fault/smile.gif :o:D

I am also very interested in getting a descent internet connection in a remote village in Chiang Rai. They recently built a cell phone tower nearby so there is now cell phone service there. I think I will try buying one of these internet sticks in Thailand. Can you please let me know how the connection is in a remote area? Also how much does it cost? Does anybody know how much an unlimited package costs and/or if there are any better options?

Thanks for any info.

• 1 year later...
Reviving a rotting thread, not to

open a new one on the same topic -

any updates as of todays availablity -

brand, setbacks, pricing...?

to be used in the Kantaralak area...

The great news is that prices are down. I bought a cheap (1200 Baht including AIS NetSim card) generic Chinese Edge Modem to use in a remote location where phone signals are usually bad (unless the wind is blowing in the right direction). It works very well. Maintains a signal better than any phones we use in the area. Speed isn't great but very usable. It's like using a 56K modem with a strong signal. Slow but MUCH better than nothing. Also use as a backup when at the apt. in Bangkok if the local wireless signal is down. In Bangkok where the signal is strong the avg. speed about quadruples.

The name-brand edge modems are more expensive (around 2500 Baht) and I'm curious to know if the signal would be much better. Anyone have any experience with both? I'd like to try one but I'm so happy with this cheap one that I don't want to bother.

Also, AIS gives you 30 hours of net time for 99 Baht good for 30 days.

The only drawback to the cheap edge modems is that the original one I bought didn't work. I took it back and the guy said, "Oh, you just have to disable your firewall to use it". I said, "No, I'm not gonna that." We tried a different model (even cheaper) in my netbook and it worked straight away. Been happy ever since. So the lesson is, if you have a laptop, take it with you and make sure the thing works before you buy it.