Latex Farm

merely to live far from the beaten path............?

Then almost certainly not. Rubber margins (like most ag margins in Thailand) are so tight that anything less than a committed and professional approach (as well as a good understanding of the subject) is not ike to be successfull as a business. So - no, not likely.

But should this dissuade you from purchasing land in a rural area, and realising your dream to get out the rat race? No - I hope not, just that I think you should give some more thought to options that you can make a living from.

.....and even i thought you could make a business out of rubber trees, their are a whole bunch of questions that need some clarification - for example:

a) you don't say how much land it is?

:o you don't say what sort of lifestyle you would like to maintain (some ex-pats living in Thailand survive on next to nothing and are quite happy with that, others want a bit more than the basics)?

It really isn't as straightforward and as simple as you have put it...... come back with some additonal detail, in the meantime welcome to the farming section of the forum - theres a ton of advise and experiance(s) here which will go a long way to helping you realise your ambition. Best of luck

MF

merely to live far from the beaten path............?

Then almost certainly not. Rubber margins (like most ag margins in Thailand) are so tight that anything less than a committed and professional approach (as well as a good understanding of the subject) is not ike to be successfull as a business. So - no, not likely.

But should this dissuade you from purchasing land in a rural area, and realising your dream to get out the rat race? No - I hope not, just that I think you should give some more thought to options that you can make a living from.

.....and even i thought you could make a business out of rubber trees, their are a whole bunch of questions that need some clarification - for example:

a) you don't say how much land it is?

:o you don't say what sort of lifestyle you would like to maintain (some ex-pats living in Thailand survive on next to nothing and are quite happy with that, others want a bit more than the basics)?

It really isn't as straightforward and as simple as you have put it...... come back with some additonal detail, in the meantime welcome to the farming section of the forum - theres a ton of advise and experiance(s) here which will go a long way to helping you realise your ambition. Best of luck

MF

I don't really need a job or even income. The land just has latex trees on it. Seems to be all I can find. Jungle would be better. Just wondering if there was any money in it. I haven't bought yet, but only looking at 9-10 rai.

I am sure only locals would be able to work it. I just figured they could add a little to their pockets. If there was any left over I could maybe afford an extra liter or 2 of fuel for my motorcycle.

Gonsalviz - 9 or 10 rai? - I have zero experiance growing rubber, and very limited theoretical knowledge of it, but I can tell with some degree of certainty that 9 or 10 rai will not be wirth the effort you put into it.

Jungle - as in rural/isolated with good dense forestry type natural growth? - that would be far preferable, wouldn't it? Well, other than for the South Thailand, the more North and North East you move the more you will find what is dense and green in the wet months becomes very dry and barren in the dry months. Move towards Chang mai and Chang Rai and you get growth like that in the South - but with greater temp variation from season to season.

So - just what areas are you looking in(?) - sounds like you are confined (for some reason) to having to settle in some place. If circumstances permitt you to go property hunting in the Chang Rai region, you can find really rural original jungle type land, that is unspoilt, isolated and very attractive (nice and cool) - where you could put up a small house for very little and live quite peacefully.

I would gather that you have not spent much time in a rubber plantation. It would be the last place you would want to live. First it's hot and humid, with lots of mosqitoes in the wet season. Plus the tappers start tapping before anyone in his right mind would be up.

If you still want to live in a plantation I have a place you can rent dirt cheap and you will not be disturbed by neighbours as there isn't any JIM

post-27270-1217997913_thumb.jpg

I would gather that you have not spent much time in a rubber plantation. It would be the last place you would want to live. First it's hot and humid, with lots of mosqitoes in the wet season. Plus the tappers start tapping before anyone in his right mind would be up.

If you still want to live in a plantation I have a place you can rent dirt cheap and you will not be disturbed by neighbours as there isn't any JIM

I have spent quite a lot of time around rubber trees and making the mats and all. I know quite well what time the work starts. I don't have any plans to involve myself in it and plan to have a house with indoor plumbing.

I have always been associated with southern Thailand and I like the people, even their funny slangy way of talking. Most of the foreigners I know are around the southern resort areas. I don't want to be there, just close enough to go visit. No neighbors is my dream.

I only wish there was some jungle left. :o

Gonsalviz - 9 or 10 rai? - I have zero experiance growing rubber, and very limited theoretical knowledge of it, but I can tell with some degree of certainty that 9 or 10 rai will not be wirth the effort you put into it.

Jungle - as in rural/isolated with good dense forestry type natural growth? - that would be far preferable, wouldn't it? Well, other than for the South Thailand, the more North and North East you move the more you will find what is dense and green in the wet months becomes very dry and barren in the dry months. Move towards Chang mai and Chang Rai and you get growth like that in the South - but with greater temp variation from season to season.

So - just what areas are you looking in(?) - sounds like you are confined (for some reason) to having to settle in some place. If circumstances permitt you to go property hunting in the Chang Rai region, you can find really rural original jungle type land, that is unspoilt, isolated and very attractive (nice and cool) - where you could put up a small house for very little and live quite peacefully.

As I said, I haven't bought yet. Also, I have never been to CM. Maybe in October I'll check it out. wink.gif