U.s. Drivers License Due To Expire In October

mizzi39

Hello, My U.S. (state) drivers license will expire in October and I have no plans on going back to the states until sometime next year. I have a car and drive daily. My question is can I get a Thai drivers license? If so what is the procedure? If not how can I obtain an International license. Your responses are much appreciated. Thanks! :o

Edited by mizzi39

Check with your state of license in USA...you may be able to renew by post before the license expires...it is worth checking.

You might be able to get a Thai driver's license...but you have provided no details on "how you are here"....visa, visa extension, work permit, etc. Provide some more detail and I am sure somebody will speak up.

A legit IDL still requires a driver's license issued by some country/state. For example, the IDL that you get in USA is not valid for driving in USA, and you must have a state license to get one, and for it to be valid outside USA.

You can buy those fake IDLs on Khao San Road, but I suspect the BIB are pretty savvy to those...well, maybe not in Isaan :o

Check with your state of license in USA...you may be able to renew by post before the license expires...it is worth checking.

You might be able to get a Thai driver's license...but you have provided no details on "how you are here"....visa, visa extension, work permit, etc. Provide some more detail and I am sure somebody will speak up.

A legit IDL still requires a driver's license issued by some country/state. For example, the IDL that you get in USA is not valid for driving in USA, and you must have a state license to get one, and for it to be valid outside USA.

You can buy those fake IDLs on Khao San Road, but I suspect the BIB are pretty savvy to those...well, maybe not in Isaan :D

Thanks for the fast responses. I am here on a non-B which is good until April 31, 2009 and I have a valid WP. I am planning on taking the wife and baby for a visit sometime next year and I know that I can get things sorted with the renewal then. If there is a way to get a Thai DL or a IDL without much hassle I feel that it would be the best route for me. Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated! :o

You are not driving legally if you have only your US licence and do not have an IDP (International Driving Permit). The Boys in Brown really don't care, but your insurance may use your lack of a licence as an excuse to refuse to cough up :o

Luckily it's a piece of cake to get a local licence if you have a work permit, check out the pinned thread at the top of this forum.

Without an IDP you will need to do a driving and written test, but neither is particularly onerous and can be conducted in English.

Edited by Crossy

You are not driving legally if you have only your US licence and do not have an IDP (International Driving Permit). The Boys in Brown really don't care, but your insurance may use your lack of a licence as an excuse to refuse to cough up :o

Luckily it's a piece of cake to get a local licence if you have a work permit, check out the pinned thread at the top of this forum.

Without an IDP you will need to do a driving and written test, but neither is particularly onerous and can be conducted in English.

that wasn't required in Pattaya when i got my license last year.

The rules state that you need an IDP to avoid the tests.

HOWEVER

The LTA at MorChit (and evidently Pattaya too) will waive the test for holders of European, US and (IIRC) Aussie licences :D

You will still have to do at least some of the following tests:-

Colour blindness

Peripheral vision

Reaction

Depth perception

Your first licence will be valid for one year, once it expires (and you must wait for it to expire) you can exchange it for a 5 year licence.

Edited by Crossy

The rules state that you need an IDP to avoid the tests.

HOWEVER

The LTA at MorChit (and evidently Pattaya too) will waive the test for holders of European, US and (IIRC) Aussie licences :D

You will still have to do at least some of the following tests:-

Colour blindness = yes

Peripheral vision = no

Reaction = yes

Depth perception = yes

Your first licence will be valid for one year, once it expires (and you must wait for it to expire) you can exchange it for a 5 year licence.

funny thing was i got my 5-year license two weeks ago without any test.

Thanks for the replies. I already posted on the pinned thread as well. After reading numerous pages it seems like different people have had different experiences. I will follow up with the local office here (I live in issan). You are right that the "boys in brown" really don't care especially up in the sticks! I have been pulled over twice in the last year for "speeding" and did not even receive a warning let alone a ticket, just a smile and a nod. My concern is an unavoidable accident so yes, I do want t be legal. Thanks again! mizzi :D

Thanks for the replies. I already posted on the pinned thread as well. After reading numerous pages it seems like different people have had different experiences. I will follow up with the local office here (I live in issan). You are right that the "boys in brown" really don't care especially up in the sticks! I have been pulled over twice in the last year for "speeding" and did not even receive a warning let alone a ticket, just a smile and a nod. My concern is an unavoidable accident so yes, I do want t be legal. Thanks again! mizzi :D

You might also want to renew your statside license through the mail if your state allows. I know California does because I renewed through the mail. You should be able to check web site for your state under DMV if possible. Letting it expire will mean you have to retest for new license and might mean waiting period.

Also you cannot rent a car with Thai license in the US should you let your stateside license expire I've tried.

I recently got a new state driver's license. In my case, I was ineligible from doing it online based on some arcane rules so I needed to travel to the US and go to the DMV (I was overdue for a trip back anyway, so no problem). Anyway, I was made to sign a serious sounding legal statement with implied threatening consequences that I was indeed a legal resident of my old US state in order to get the renewed license. I signed it even though I am not a resident of that state, because I really do feel the need to maintain a valid US state driver's license. That was not a good feeling!

BTW, I suspect this has something to do with state taxes. I don't file state tax returns in my old state anymore (I file in NO state). I do realize this may burn me someday, especially if I ever move back to that same state. My IRS filing has my Thailand address on it.

Edited by Jingthing