Freezer Mugs

tuffy

You know the ones I mean with the liquid or gel filled inner wall which you can put in the freezer. These mugs would be perfect here to keep my beer nice and frosty cold but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere here.

If you have seen these for sale let me know where and how much.

Thanks!

Tuffy

Thanks fellas, I knew they must be around here some where but I have yet to find them.

I might make it to Jakujak market this weekend I will have to go on the hunt for them there.

I have looked around the big shopping centers in the past with no luck. I will have to look again.

I get sick of warm or watered down beer all the time!

You know the ones I mean with the liquid or gel filled inner wall which you can put in the freezer. These mugs would be perfect here to keep my beer nice and frosty cold but I haven't seen them for sale anywhere here.

Thanks!

Tuffy

They're brilliant, aren't they? I bought 20 a few years ago in Big C in North Pattaya (the Festival Centre, or whatever it's called). About 75 Baht each, made in Taiwan, I took most of them back to the UK, where they are still in regular use at my brother's house.

I get sick of warm or watered down beer all the time!

You're drinking it too slow.

Now that is what I call advice. Still sitting here with a warm beer though......maybe i should get me a funnel and some hose and build a beer bong guaranteed to go down cold that way!

Another solution,l if you can't find the "freezable gel" mugs and you don;t mind a little ice with your beer is to keep a mug or two in the freezer with about 3-4cm of frozen water in the bottom. Takes several refills before the ice starts floating around in the beer and sure does keep it cool.

Thanks!

Tuffy

try the cavernous warehouse behind Big C (festival park) north pattaya

they sell all manner of ceramics, glasses and cooking pots

i have seen them in there

Another solution,l if you can't find the "freezable gel" mugs and you don;t mind a little ice with your beer is to keep a mug or two in the freezer with about 3-4cm of frozen water in the bottom. Takes several refills before the ice starts floating around in the beer and sure does keep it cool.

Same as ice cubes, much too much!

Less then say 0.5 cm is sufficient - otherwise follow the wisdom of the other poster who had some deep insight into this serious matter: "You drink too slow"!

Edited by Samuian

Same as ice cubes, much too much!

Less then say 0.5 cm is sufficient - otherwise follow the wisdom of the other poster who had some deep insight into this serious matter: "You drink too slow"!

Actually, I think it's better with 3-4cm than 0.5cm because:

1. the solid ice is a larger volume therefore it takes longer before it detaches from the bottom of the glass and floats around in the beer;

2. while the ice is still attached and not floating free the only surface area in contact with the beer is the top of the ice. This is a lot less surface area than free foating ice cubes and results in much less dilution, at least until the ice floats free;

3. in my experience it takes somewhere between 3-5 refills before the ice detaches depending on how cold the beer is already and whether the glass is exposed to wind.

Thanks!

Tuffy

try the cavernous warehouse behind Big C (festival park) north pattaya

they sell all manner of ceramics, glasses and cooking pots

i have seen them in there

Thanks timekeeper I will give that place a look next time i am there!

I bought some in Carrefour in Bangkok some years ago, and every single one sprang a leak after a few weeks :o

Have you tried that place next to Foodland? They've got all kinds of wonderful stuff there.

Timekeeper and Mobi - I hit both of those places yesterday and struck gold both places! At that big warehouse they had some that hold a full Quart Yai and keeps it cold until I decide to finish it instead of Deke's solution of pounding them down before they get warm out of the bottle (not that that is a bad solution). That place by Foodland had the more conventional smaller style, I stumbled on that place before I read your post Mobi but I still appreciate it! Until they remodeled a few months ago they didn't have them in stock.

You have to keep enough mugs on hand to keep rotating them through the icebox but i am a happy man once again!!!