Shell Game Scam Still Going On In Pattaya

jaansinatra

I'm not sure, but it's impossible to start with a certain amount of money unless they don't hang up the hose after a customer.

If they just filled up a motorbike with some fuel, let's say THB 30, and you're next, they might just switch customers without switching off the pump.

If they switch off the pump in between customers the counter turns back to zero as soon as they pick up the hose again. So, sometimes it seems as if there is an amount on the counter, before the hose is picked up for you, but as soon as they do, the counter will be zero. That's something the staff can't do anything about.

Yes or no?

I read this thread and was curious so I went to the shell station a couple days later. I had an empty tank. It always coast about 130bht to fill the tank.... I asked for 130bht and watched him fill it. He did not reset the pump from the previous customer (did not put it back in the pump to reset) but tried to stand in front of the pump so I did not see that... he then put the gas in the tank and moved to show the pump fill to 130bht. (It started at about 50bht) My tank was filled to HALF. When I tried to say anything I dont speak thai and he spoke no english.... (so I didn't get anywhere) I figured the lost 70bht or so was a lesson for me and anyone else to learn.

This is posted for proof and for all to learn so you won't get taken too!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gentlemen, you are really making complete fools of yourselves by continuing to patronize this place; and then posting about it here. What is it going to take for those of you who use this Shell station to understand that the ONLY way to stop this thievery in Thailand is to simply STOP BUYING YOUR FUEL AT THAT STATION?!

There have been enough reports of cheating posted here now to make it absolutley clear that they cheat. Knowing that, and continuing to go there, is just plain stupid!

I got stuck with a nearly empty tank on my car and had to use this place.All the old staff had gone and i got served by a middle aged woman who had the pump zero.I stated it was nice to see some happy smiles there to especialy when i said it was good the bad ones were not there.She understood what i said perfectly

I also said to tell the boss man maybe more customers come now you are not stitching up,then i ran lol.

If you dont want to use the Shell, but need fuel, there is a self serve mini Pump in Soi Rungland just opposite the OK Coral, Rungland Soi is half way from the shell to 3rd road, so can even push the bike there if you have too.

Mine always starts easier using fuel from this mini pump than the shell too for some reason.

I'm not sure, but it's impossible to start with a certain amount of money unless they don't hang up the hose after a customer.

If they just filled up a motorbike with some fuel, let's say THB 30, and you're next, they might just switch customers without switching off the pump.

If they switch off the pump in between customers the counter turns back to zero as soon as they pick up the hose again. So, sometimes it seems as if there is an amount on the counter, before the hose is picked up for you, but as soon as they do, the counter will be zero. That's something the staff can't do anything about.

Yes or no?

no...they don't hang up the hose properly, they don't flip the lever that zeros the pump...little thieves making big bucks..the owner must be very naive too, for not catching up with his staff...

Dear all:

Shell Int. is aware of this ongoing scam and has promised to take action asap. Their response has been very quick, friendly and professional.

Confidential reports of any kind of incidents regarding the Shell Gas Station / South-Pattaya can be sent to: Eddie.How [ a ] shell dot com

With enough information supplied to Shell we might eventually have a conveniently located Gas Station we can use again.

K.G.

(reason for edit: Email addresses not permitted)

That was: Eddie.How(at)shell(dot)com

Edited by Falang2001

Yes or no?

I read this thread and was curious so I went to the shell station a couple days later. I had an empty tank. It always coast about 130bht to fill the tank.... I asked for 130bht and watched him fill it. He did not reset the pump from the previous customer (did not put it back in the pump to reset) but tried to stand in front of the pump so I did not see that... he then put the gas in the tank and moved to show the pump fill to 130bht. (It started at about 50bht) My tank was filled to HALF. When I tried to say anything I dont speak thai and he spoke no english.... (so I didn't get anywhere) I figured the lost 70bht or so was a lesson for me and anyone else to learn.

This is posted for proof and for all to learn so you won't get taken too!

THE VERY LAST LINE OF THE ABOVE IS QUITE COMICAL,ALBEIT UNWITTINGLY BY THE POSTER,I WOULD IMAGINE.

CONSIDERING ALL THAT HAS BEEN WRITTEN ABOUT THIS STATION...WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH WOULD ANYONE EVEN

CONSIDER THEN GOING TO THIS PLACE TO EVEN HAVE A "CHANCE" OF BEING RIPPED OFF.ONE WOULD THINK THIS WAS THE

ONLY STATION IN THE AREA.I'M NOT SURE WHETHER IT'S SADO-MASOCHISM/BOREDOM/OR JUST PHILANTROPHY-MISPLACED

THAT BRINGS PEOPLE "BACK" TO THIS PLACE WHEN THEY "KNOW" WHAT IT'S LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TO THE GUY ABOVE,WHO LOST 70BAHT,AND ALL OTHERS........SURELY YOUR LIFE WOULD BE BETTER SERVED BY REDUCING

YOUR STRESS LEVELS AND NOT PATRONISING THESE PREMISES.I KNOW YOU'RE ENTITLED TO,AND INDEED IT'S ADMIRABLE TO

SEE YOUR COMMUNITY-MINDED SPIRIT IN TRYING TO TACKLE THIS HEINOUS PRACTICE...........BUT COME ON,DO YOU REALLY

NEED ALL THE HASSLE AND SHIT.IF YOU ARE OF THE OPINION THAT YOU DON'T NEED ALL THIS SHIT THEN I'M AFRAID YOUR

POSTING ON THE TOPIC CAN BE FITTINGLY SUMMED UP IN THE PICTURE BELOW...............................

post-59181-1220004054_thumb.jpg

I think there is something wrong with your caps lock key .... :o

:P Well spotted,phil old chap.My out-of-character use of the caps-lock was merely an emphasised postulation on a topic

which baffles me.Not the corruption itself(of course that's reprehensible)....but rather one of individuals consciously

going back and back to this station knowing that they'll be running the gauntlet of potentially getting ripped off and/or

experiencing a confrontation with service-attendants........further compounded then by the aggrieved individuals taking

up more of their precious time and giving detailed accounts of it on a Webforum.........further still(even more baffling) of the

aggrieved individuals warning people that if they do decide to go to this station(despite what has been reported :burp: ) then they

should be on the lookout.

At the risk of stating the obvious......whilst my use of the caps-lock may have been a bit.." :D "..........based on that assumption,

surely the behavioural mentality of repeat-patrons to the Shell Station could be seen as being......" :D:(:D:D:D:Pad infinitium

Edited by lalana

• 2 weeks later...

Official response from Shell

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for reporting the incident at Shell Pattaya Retail Station. The information provided has been useful and is very much appreciated.

We have conducted an investigation and strict measures have been taken to ensure that similiar incidents do not occur in the future.

Thank you once again for reporting this to us.

Best regards,

Adelene Chew

GC Regional Coordinator (APME)

Business Integrity Department

Tel: +65 65052677 Fax: +65 6505 2679

Email: [email protected]

Internet: http://www.shell.com

So you can bug her if its still going on...

Oz

Official response from Shell

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for reporting the incident at Shell Pattaya Retail Station. The information provided has been useful and is very much appreciated.

We have conducted an investigation and strict measures have been taken to ensure that similiar incidents do not occur in the future.

Thank you once again for reporting this to us.

Best regards,

Adelene Chew

GC Regional Coordinator (APME)

Business Integrity Department

Tel: +65 65052677 Fax: +65 6505 2679

Email: [email protected]

Internet: http://www.shell.com

So you can bug her if its still going on...

Oz

On behalf of anyone and everyone: THANK YOU!! :o

Gentlemen, you are really making complete fools of yourselves by continuing to patronize this place; and then posting about it here. What is it going to take for those of you who use this Shell station to understand that the ONLY way to stop this thievery in Thailand is to simply STOP BUYING YOUR FUEL AT THAT STATION?!

There have been enough reports of cheating posted here now to make it absolutley clear that they cheat. Knowing that, and continuing to go there, is just plain stupid!

You're so right, BUT this is location-wise, the most convenient pump to use when you go from South or Central Pattaya to the South-East direction of the dark side. Hardly any pumps on the way down there.

They largely prey on the rental bike tourist... I had some “experience” their but did not pay attention and didn’t want to make a fuss without clear evidence, basically gave them the benefit of the doubt.

I just visited the complain side of Shell, maybe we can make a difference.

honestly, my girl is an office worker and has worked in about 10 different companies around pattaya in the last year alone, - keeps quitting because the bosses are idiots and what not.

all i hear is staff stealing money from either the customers or the company, even in bars when your drunk or if the staff don't like you they'll add more to your bill. it aint an accident, they are making money.

only problem with shell is that you can see the cash meter right in front of you, so its a little harder to steal from you with it right in your face.

its a corrupt country with poor working conditions and bad pay, the staff need 3x more then their average wages so they steal it - or work the bars.

its life in pattaya, deal with it, move on, you're not going to change anything.

On one occasion my car wouldn't start due to a flat battery - so the attendant runs to his car, brings out a set of jump leads and sends me on my merry way with smile (and no charge). A refreshing change from Shell.

The attendant had his own car? Must be running a few sidelines considering he'll be on less than 7k pr month.. :o

I use that Shell Station all the time. As they say, fore-warned is fore-armed. As soon as it's my turn to fill up, I ask the attendant (politely) to zero the meter, as I like to know just how much my beasty needs. I don't even take off the gas cap until the pump has been zeroed.

Never had a hassle or even an angry look. Is it my polite attitude and smile, or the biker gear while riding the Harley ? Either way, I keep a watch on it every time I go there (or anywhere else for that matter).

I use that Shell Station all the time. As they say, fore-warned is fore-armed. As soon as it's my turn to fill up, I ask the attendant (politely) to zero the meter, as I like to know just how much my beasty needs. I don't even take off the gas cap until the pump has been zeroed.

Never had a hassle or even an angry look. Is it my polite attitude and smile, or the biker gear while riding the Harley ? Either way, I keep a watch on it every time I go there (or anywhere else for that matter).

Probalbly because you look like one of the village people and they want our autograph

gimme a Y M CA oh yeah Y M CA

:o

CB

btw I also fill up there regularly and have never had a problem either - mebbe my CBR150 gives me the necessary street cred to get a proper fill up at the servo.

Probalbly because you look like one of the village people and they want our autograph

:D

CB

btw I also fill up there regularly and have never had a problem either - mebbe my CBR150 gives me the necessary street cred to get a proper fill up at the servo.

If thats all the cred you need to get a decent fill then how come everyone doesnt get a good fill? :D:o

There are new signs on top of the pumps at the Shell station close to Baan Ampur that says ' make sure the pump is set to zero before filling up' Wonder if it's as a result of complaints about Second Road station.

There are new signs on top of the pumps at the Shell station close to Baan Ampur that says ' make sure the pump is set to zero before filling up' Wonder if it's as a result of complaints about Second Road station.

There no signs on the pumps when I went past today at Pattaya Tai

:D

CB

If thats all the cred you need to get a decent fill then how come everyone doesnt get a good fill? :D:o

Works for me so mebbe it is you who is missing out on the street cred :D

CB

• 3 weeks later...

Wasn't sure in which section to post this so mods pls move it if you feel it should be somewhere else.

Presuming I'm not the only one that the staff at the Shell gas station on Pattaya Tai try to rip off I thought a warning might be in order.

Either they try to get away with not resetting the meter from the previous customer (usually positioning themselves between me and the meter) or they give incorrect change (never gotten to much...).

Everybody can have a bad day but this has been happening regularly during the two years I've been using that station. Doesn't most of the other, non Shell, gas stations have cashiers to try to minimize the risk of this kind of things?

// Johan