Non-immigration B

I arrived in Bangkok on July 27 and have 30 day on arrival status. I have been offered employment by an Australian/Thai partnership and would like to change my status to 90 day non-immigrant. I read in the pinned section that it was possible to do this "in country" in certain circumstances (note 3) and would appreciate it if one of the learned members could confirm whether or not this is possible?

Much obliged,

Dave

I arrived in Bangkok on July 27 and have 30 day on arrival status. I have been offered employment by an Australian/Thai partnership and would like to change my status to 90 day non-immigrant. I read in the pinned section that it was possible to do this "in country" in certain circumstances (note 3) and would appreciate it if one of the learned members could confirm whether or not this is possible?

Much obliged,

Dave

It is possible if it is part of the process leading to a 12 month extension of stay.

As said you need at least 3 weeks left on your stay.

You will need a Work Permit to work.

I have deduced that my company have obtained my work permit by paying coffee money to the immigration staff. It is not possible for a foriegner to be employed in sales which is my job.

This is why I can only ever get a non B 3 months at a time.

Can anyone confirm this?

I have never seen this situation mentioned in any post. I doubt that anybody will be able to confirm having obtained a work permit for a job not allowed to foreigners by paying a bribe.

--

Maestro

I have deduced that my company have obtained my work permit by paying coffee money to the immigration staff. It is not possible for a foriegner to be employed in sales which is my job.

This is why I can only ever get a non B 3 months at a time.

Can anyone confirm this?

http://www.immigration.go.th

The only kind of sales jobs that are restricted to thais only are shop-front or auction sales.

See pages 18 & 19 of the following link for a full list. http://www.boi.go.th/english/download/busi...stment-laws.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Hope I dont repeat myself too much.

I have a non Imm B visa from the UK single entry (london would not give me multi as I asked for) they said should be done by my company when get work permit thailand.

I have a work permit expires same day as my visa (22nd Sept) and to confuse me further I know work permits last for years...

Company is telling me to go to penang get another 3 months B visa.

I understand that when they (company) processed my WP they should have taken my passport and stamped it for another year. This has not happened so I am faced with visa runs to penang every 3 months.

Company says they didnt do one year visa "because its difficult to issue one year because of the amount of foreigners they employ".

So, if they havent paid bribe to get work permit because they are at their limit how on earth did they get the work permit and why have they not extended my B visa.

Do you think I will be able to get an extension of B visa with company documents?

I am just trying to make sense of all this. Any comments guys, thanks again in advance.

Work permits until recently followed visa validity - they did not last for years. One year I believe was the max. And it had to be re validated on each visa entry.

It appears your company can not supply paperwork to allow a one year visa to be issued at a Consulate but that you will be able to obtain a single entry? Usually once work permit is issued then the one year can be obtained with correct paperwork (but not at all locations). If that can not be done highly doubt there is any chance you could extend your stay (at immigration) - as that always requires company paperwork.

Thanks.

Hope I dont repeat myself too much.

I have a non Imm B visa from the UK single entry (london would not give me multi as I asked for) they said should be done by my company when get work permit thailand.

I have a work permit expires same day as my visa (22nd Sept) and to confuse me further I know work permits last for years...

Company is telling me to go to penang get another 3 months B visa.

I understand that when they (company) processed my WP they should have taken my passport and stamped it for another year. This has not happened so I am faced with visa runs to penang every 3 months.

Company says they didnt do one year visa "because its difficult to issue one year because of the amount of foreigners they employ".

So, if they havent paid bribe to get work permit because they are at their limit how on earth did they get the work permit and why have they not extended my B visa.

Do you think I will be able to get an extension of B visa with company documents?

I am just trying to make sense of all this. Any comments guys, thanks again in advance.

What you company did was quite correct, the work permit will always only have a permission up to the date of the last 90 day non B entry stamp in your passport.

As Lopburi stated; Your company obviously cannot produce the correct paperwork for an extension of permission to stay.

So your only option is to get all the paperwork from your company for another non B visa application and travel abroad to apply for another visa.

Penang is currently very 'difficult' for multiple entry visas. I recommend that you go to KL; Since you have a new work permit, you should not have a problem getting a one year multiple entry non immigrant B visa there.

You will only get a 90 day stamp when you enter Thailand, but you just need to visit the border before your 90 days are up to get another, which will give you about 15 months.

You should make the visa run before your WP runs out, else apply to renew it at Labour before you go. State that you will supply the copy of your new visa, etc when you return. Take the WP to KL, you then have seven days after the application to get all the papers and WP back to Labour.