Foreign Land Ownership

britainmal

I agree with most of the posters here. Allowing foreign land ownership in Thailand would be an unmitigated disaster. Forget the farangs—the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese would be buying everything in sight. Land and home prices would skyrocket overnight. Most of the expats already here wouldn’t be able to afford homes. Of course, they’ll probably be replaced with a whole new class of expats.

As for the Thai’s—heck, forget about being able to afford homes. They’ll be lucky to afford the rent—if they can even find affordable rental. Basic economics that rent goes up right along with home prices. The economy will probably go to shit as Thai’s will have less disposable income to spend on other “stuff.” So all sectors suffer. Gap between poor and rich would increase exponentially.

So who wins? Landowners and home developers, as if they need any more help. Heck, before the ink is even dry on any new legislation, those on the inside will already be taking steps to ensure they get a piece of the action.

The Thai government simply cannot allow foreign land ownership in Thailand. Period.

Loads of them would, especially if they only cost 5,000 Pounds each.

But 150,000 Pounds is a different matter.

Ok how many would buy their gf a car after a few months. That's similar amount of cash and many farang buy a pick up as well as land for their gf.

It's a well known fact that many farang forget to pack their brains when they come to Los

Loads of them would, especially if they only cost 5,000 Pounds each.

But 150,000 Pounds is a different matter.

Ok how many would buy their gf a car after a few months. That's similar amount of cash and many farang buy a pick up as well as land for their gf.

It's a well known fact that many farang forget to pack their brains when they come to Los

I bought my Pick up in January. I also put it in my name, just like any farang can.

It never used to be the case in Thailand some years ago, but it has changed now. For a car or motorcycle that is, look at it this way, at least you can drive away from the house and land. :o

But I don't think I would be buying too much if I did not live in Thailand. :D

I bought my Pick up in January. I also put it in my name, just like any farang can.

Have they changed the rules now?

I thought that you could only buy a vehicle in your own name if you have a non immigrant visa.

No Loong, that was not the case, I only had a 30 day stamp, I registered it in Pattaya in my name.

You still need a non immigrant for a License though, although I extended my license for a year the same day with the 30 day stamp. But I did have a Non Imm when i first got issued with it, and I would have got a 5 year extension if I had another non immigrant visa, instead of the one year I got.

I agree with most of the posters here.  Allowing foreign land ownership in Thailand would be an unmitigated disaster.  Forget the farangs—the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese would be buying everything in sight.  Land and home prices would skyrocket overnight.  Most of the expats already here wouldn’t be able to afford homes.  Of course, they’ll probably be replaced with a whole new class of expats. 

As for the Thai’s—heck, forget about being able to afford homes.  They’ll be lucky to afford the rent—if they can even find affordable rental.  Basic economics that rent goes up right along with home prices.  The economy will probably go to shit as Thai’s will have less disposable income to spend on other “stuff.”  So all sectors suffer.  Gap between poor and rich would increase exponentially.

So who wins?  Landowners and home developers, as if they need any more help.  Heck, before the ink is even dry on any new legislation, those on the inside will already be taking steps to ensure they get a piece of the action. 

The Thai government simply cannot allow foreign land ownership in Thailand.  Period.

That's one very good reason not changing the law.

ThaiAmGuy and Sonthaya you are both wrong. Allowing foreign land ownership in Thailand would be an unmitigated disaster. Forget the farangs—the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese would be buying everything in sight. If you think that the minute they allow foreigners to buy land everybody would rush over to Thailand to buy it up is not true. Land and home prices would skyrocket overnight. The demand to buy land in Bangkok or Thailand is not that much in demand on this level. Most of the expats already here wouldn’t be able to afford homes. Of course, they’ll probably be replaced with a whole new class of expats. Not true because if the demand was there everybody would just marry a Hooker or a poor Thai girl and put it under her name. The average income in Bangkok for the year 2000 was 15, 053 USD and the same year the average income in Hong Kong was 20,000 USD. Bangkokians are not so poor ,so wake up and stop living in denial.As for the Thai’s—heck, forget about being able to afford homes. They’ll be lucky to afford the rent—if they can even find affordable rental. Basic economics that rent goes up right along with home prices. The economy will probably go to shit as Thai’s will have less disposable income to spend on other “stuff.” So all sectors suffer. Gap between poor and rich would increase exponentially. That is very true, the only statement you may be correct , but don't forget just like in the west we have price control laws. Silom, Sukumvit , and other downtown areas are very expensive. Buying a house in Bangkok is very expensive now.So who wins? Landowners and home developers, as if they need any more help. Heck, before the ink is even dry on any new legislation, those on the inside will already be taking steps to ensure they get a piece of the action.

The Thai government simply cannot allow foreign land ownership in Thailand. Period. Just like the article said that a lot of europeans were marrying girls form the northeast, they are also giving them the money to buy and own a house, which would drive up the prices. What the difference between a Thai wife or a foreigner buying the land is all the same.

While I'm not particularly worried about the land laws...the fact that you have to report your address every 3 months when married (on an extension) is farcical!!

This is one of the reasons why, I have not bothered with it even though I have been married for four years. Yes it is the law, but a damned stupid one!

The truth is, I dislike the thai laws agains forieng ownership...

But I sure would not mind having the same laws here in the US. Wow, it trully would be a different place. I imagine my taxes would be cut in half!

So maybe the Thais aren't that wrong after all

I all thank you for your opinion.  I do disagree with you all.  Thai's in Bangkok are wealthy, so don't say they cannot afford the property market if foreigners were allowed to own land.  Actually, the price of land is right out of reach for the average Thai outside Bangkok ,so if you let foreigners own land it would not cause no problems. Bangkok is an ugly city.  The Thai's just build and build and they don't care about the enviroment.  You see all the cars in Bangkok only have one person driving in them and the canals are a death trap waiting to happen.  The vendors should have a place to sell their goods like a square and not just anywhere on the street to create pediatrain traffic.  I understand they need to make a living. The electricity wires are another hazard to happen because they are head length.  Nobody complains or does anything because they think it will just change in the future. Thai's  are very narrow-minded due their culture.  They think lets not complain because it will eventually change.  They need to reform Thai culture, don't get me wrong their are also good things in thai culture.  They also need to stop brain washing the students with the Thai culture because not all aspects are  good. There is good and bad.  In the west, we don't use culture to run our life like the thai's do  which is better.  

And what about the things you rant about will change by allowing foreigners to own land? Don't forget that Westerners aren't the only foreigners. It goes without question that the Chinese will be snapping up most of the country if the laws are relaxed, and they're not exactly prone to environmentally-friendly or attractive development. Have you ever been to Guangzhou?

You are quite right , if they change the law we will have another Chinese province.

It never used to be the case in Thailand some years ago, but it has changed now.

Farangs have been able to own cars & motorbikes for at least 20 years to my certain knowledge.

How far back are you going?

I was under the impression the chinese thai  citizens already owned all the land. All the local businesses in the surrounding towns are owned by chinese thais. seems like they also own the government.

i don't care much, most of the chinese businesses give me a fair go. Joe

Chinese-Thai (i.e., ethnic Chinese of Thai citizenship) are one thing, foreign Chinese from the PRC, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore or another.

It never used to be the case in Thailand some years ago, but it has changed now.

Farangs have been able to own cars & motorbikes for at least 20 years to my certain knowledge.

Astral, I was referring to being able to have a Car in your name with out having a Non Immigrant visa or work permit, just a 30 day entry stamp will do now.

Without the proper Visa it used to be in Thai name only, now the border hoppers can own cars and motorcycles too. :o

Astral, I was referring to being able to have a Car in your name with out having a Non Immigrant visa or work permit, just a 30 day entry stamp will do now.

Without the proper Visa it used to be in Thai name only, now the border hoppers can own cars and motorcycles too. :o

But they cannot get a valid Thai driver's license.

Whilst I understand the original post and the sentiments expressed, my personal feeling are simple.

Why should they?

After all, it is Thailand and the vast majority of people are Thai.

I spent a fair amount of money to buy land, build a house, buy a pick up etc and it is all in the name of my Thai wife.

I don't have a problem with that.

Should the worst happen and we divorce I will end up with nothing and lose around 40,000 pounds and pay no maintenance etc to her.

A few years ago I divorced my English wife. I lost the house and car and everything else and walked away with only my personal stuff and that fitted into an estate car. It cost me over 150,000 pounds and as I was earning a lot I got stuffed with a very large maintenance bill every month.

As a UK taxpayer for some 40 years and a self employed contractor I was out of work for 6 weeks in 1999, so I went to the social services and explained that I had no work, a mortgage and alimony to pay and could they please help me.

The guy I spoke to was nice and explained that as I had a pension already ( I worked 25 years for that) unfortunately I was not eligible for anything, also that there were people he knew who had not married but lived with a woman, had kids and never intended to work that he had to give money to.

He was genuinely sorry but the rules did not allow him to do anything at all for me and he was apologetic about it.

That was the time that I decided that I will never again live in the land of my birth.

In addition to all this the elected government of my country allows anybody to come in (Thai girls excepted) and gives them all the support they need.

Change the rules in Thailand?

No way.

Keep it as it is. If you qualify fine, if you don't, why should a sovereign country change its rules to accommodate you?

If you can get the rules changed, more power to you but I suspect that you may get a headache from banging your head against a brick wall first.

Should the worst happen and we divorce I will end up with nothing and lose around 40,000 pounds and pay no maintenance etc to her.

If there are children you may be required to pay maintenance.

If you don't pay you may find it impossible to return to Thailand without a trip to the monkey house!

I've met a good few people over the years who  have come unstuck over property in Thailand which is why I always tell people to forget it unless they can afford it.

Yes Fart(HaHa), I will go along with that.

Buy what you can afford to walk away from without feeling suicidal in the process. :D

Come on guys - Fart's crap is CRAP . Bunch of old Farts go to Thailand , get a chick(maybe divorced with 3 kids and not all that good looking) twenty to thirty years younger, who would never have anything to do with the senior farang citizen unless he bought them a freaking house. Pretty simple. Just don't work that way in the "developed" world anymore unless the gent has got true shitloads of crapola. :D

You sure sound like an expert on that subject, personal experience :o

But they cannot get a valid Thai driver's license.

Correct Doctor,

you certainly do need a Non Immigrant Visa to get your license in the first place, but after that an extension can be obtained without a Non Immigrant, but one cannot get a 5 year extension, only 1 year.

This was my experience in Pattaya this year. :o

As per usual ... the rules are that there are no rules :D The 5 year license is a relatively new innovation.