Who Has The Best Croissants In Chiang Mai?

Ulysses G.

I love the croisants there and most of the different kinds of bread. Also, the coffee is quite good. There is a new French guy doing pretty good croisants, but JJ's are flakier and better. Does anyone know of any others this good in Chiang Mai?

Have you never created a 'best croissants in Chiangmai' thread before? How astonishing. :o

JJ's are my favourite croissants in Chiangmai, and I do not know of any others as good.

Good idea! :D

I love the croisants there and most of the different kinds of bread. Also, the coffee is quite good. There is a new French guy doing pretty good croisants, but JJ's are flakier and better. Does anyone know of any others this good in Chiang Mai?

Have you never created a 'best croissants in Chiangmai' thread before? How astonishing. :o

JJ's are my favourite croissants in Chiangmai, and I do not know of any others as good.

I'm in Laos at the moment UG, do you want me to bring some back from The Scandinavian Bakery in Vientiane?! :D

A branch of that bakery in Chiang Mai would make a killing I'm sure - I'm going to be coming back home to Chiang Mai having put on some extra weight!

JxP

I'm in Laos at the moment UG, do you want me to bring some back from The Scandinavian Bakery in Vientiane?! :o

Please don't torture me! I really like that place.

The last time I was in Laos, their big competition was the Good and Healthy Bakery who are the same people who own The Upper Crust in Chiang Mai by the Railway Station. It never really took off in Chiang Mai.

I'm in Laos at the moment UG, do you want me to bring some back from The Scandinavian Bakery in Vientiane?! :D

A branch of that bakery in Chiang Mai would make a killing I'm sure - I'm going to be coming back home to Chiang Mai having put on some extra weight!

JxP

The beer Lao did that to me without me eating a single croissant.

I'm in Laos at the moment UG, do you want me to bring some back from The Scandinavian Bakery in Vientiane?! :o

The last time I was in Laos, their big competition was the Good and Healthy Bakery who are the same people who own The Upper Crust in Chiang Mai by the Railway Station. It never really took off in Chiang Mai.

What's that? The Upper crust that was near the night market didn't close, but moved? Where to exactly? I love that Mango Cream pie. Things started to go a little downhill when the wife started sticking her nose in the business. Higher prices, smaller portions, lower quality. But I'll give'm another try.

Edited by lannarebirth

[quote name='Ulysses G.' date='2008-08-06 19:47:05' post='2130840

Are these flaky?

Depending on how long my Wife grills them for depends greatly on their flakiness :D

But normally they are not that flaky unless....... you like them black, then they are plenty flaky :o

What's that? The Upper crust that was near the night market didn't close, but moved? Where to exactly? I love that Mango Cream pie. Things started to go a little downhill when the wife started sticking her nose in the business. Higher prices, smaller portions, lower quality. But I'll give'm another try.

I really enjoy their Mango Cheesecake as well.

Go to the railway station and turn down the small soi right before you get there (when coming from the Thapae Gate area) and keep looking on the right side. It is right across from the station.

JJ's is a full-service restaurant with a small bakery.

It is about 1/2 block from Thapae Gate on Thapae Road on the opposite side from Art Cafe and is clearly marked.

Much of the menu as well as the breads, coffee, granola/muesli and croissants are all quite good, but, be careful, most of the "Western" deserts are Thai-ized – and not up to much unless you have not had real Western sweets for quite a while.

• 3 months later...
Full service restaurant??

Is that anything like....?? :o

I think the best ones are at Rim Ping Nim City. They actually make them from a classic puff pastry dough that they buy from a French owned company in Bangkok. I sampled them at the food fair in Bangkok and they were perfect. (At Rim Ping they were nearly as good. Just not baked quite so expertly.) You couldn't get a better croissant in France. You can buy the dough in Rim Ping's freezer section and make them yourself.

mayflower on loi kroh rd.....the owners french ( i think ) good bread, wine , and coffee just like the french do!

Hey this is UG we're talking about, they'd better be American-style croissants or he might not like 'em! To go with his American burritos and American pizza :o

I guess that depends on whether you think that croissants in San Francisco taste anything like croissants in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

It is pretty well accepted that Chinese food in Singapore, Hong Kong and San Francisco is better than most places in mainland China, so I rather eat it there and I am perfectly happy with Mission Street Burritos and New York pizza.

I wouldn't think that croissants in San Francisco would be better than Paris, but I would not doubt that they are just as good. They are certainly better than the ones I had in French cafes in Hanoi and Saigon, and they have plenty of experience making them there.

I could go for one from Paris or San Francisco right now. I'm guess that I'm not that picky! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

The Breakfast Club on Soi#9 (around the corner from the Blue Diamond) is a small restaurant which has great croissants. I think the best here, as good as I've had with few exceptions (like the fresh from the oven ones in a store in Quebec one morning). The owner is Kate (not sure if that's how she spells her name) and her sister makes her baked goods. Her sister's place is nearby (the whole family is into restaurants or cooking in some way) but I don't know just where.

Kate also does great breakfasts and sandwiches, and very good coffee and latte. Good prices and a nice location, and she's really nice. We've been going there every year we come to CM.

Well... rather than just lurk on this topic, I'll contribute what I know about breakfast baked goods. Tesco croissants - don't do it! Good chewy English muffins with a nice rich smell to the dough ? hit Da Cheezo behind the bank just b4 Tesco Hang Dong. I use them to make my own RTD McMuffins. Also great with jam, as would any croissant be (sorry purists). Speaking of adulterated croissants... any chocolate croissants or choc chip croissants out there ? Now that would impress !

any chocolate croissants or choc chip croissants out there ? Now that would impress !

I like the classic ones too much to even try these, but I think that JJ's has them as well as Art Cafe, The Hideaway and Bake and Bite. JJ's has far superior croissants in my opinion. :o

Any Frogs must be looking on this thread in horreur.

Made from pâte congelée, as good a croissant as any in France, indeed ... :o

I would guess that their horror would derive from reading about the butter that posters are eating them with. Croissant is not bread. (A tartine is a great alternative for breakfast if you are in the mood for the taste of butter - but then can one find a good baguette in Chiangmai?).

As for for some of the bizarre not to say perverted suggestions - fillings, choc chips, khao soy!! Quelle scandale!

I guess that depends on whether you think that croissants in San Francisco taste anything like croissants in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

It is pretty well accepted that Chinese food in Singapore, Hong Kong and San Francisco is better than most places in mainland China, so I rather eat it there and I am perfectly happy with Mission Street Burritos and New York pizza.

I wouldn't think that croissants in San Francisco would be better than Paris, but I would not doubt that they are just as good. They are certainly better than the ones I had in French cafes in Hanoi and Saigon, and they have plenty of experience making them there.

I could go for one from Paris or San Francisco right now. I'm guess that I'm not that picky! :D

The point is surely not whether foreign adaptations are better, or as good, but whether they are croissants - by definition, as made in France - or something else. To a given gourmand the non-croissants may well seem better or as good to eat as croissants properly so called, and why not?

My contribution for this year in the deliberately punctilious and pompous.

Any Frogs must be looking on this thread in horreur.

Made from pâte congelée, as good a croissant as any in France, indeed ... :o

I would guess that their horror would derive from reading about the butter that posters are eating them with. Croissant is not bread.

Croissants are made with butter, but I put a tiny extra bit on that should melt into the warm pastry. I'm not sure how authentic that is, but it tastes great!