What Gift To Give A Gay Man?

onni4me

I've been always terrible buying gifts to friends and even loved ones. Previously some items I gave to a Thai gay guys deserved little if not almost any attention and were quickly forgotten. I did however spend considerable time to pick them up.

Now I am asking what to give since a special event is approaching and I should give something nice if not extremely valuable.

Any ideas guys? Also nice stories related greatly appreciated.

:o

I've been always terrible buying gifts to friends and even loved ones. Previously some items I gave to a Thai gay guys deserved little if not almost any attention and were quickly forgotten. I did however spend considerable time to pick them up.

Now I am asking what to give since a special event is approaching and I should give something nice if not extremely valuable.

:D

Economic background ?

Age ?

Single or together or a potential ?

Hobbies and interests ?

and what have your previously given them ?

how much do you want to spend ?

It should be the thought that counts :o lol

If this boy is only after your money (as most of them) then he will not be happy with any nice presents .

I suggest give him 15k from the ATM and he will tell you he loves you until next month.

If this boy is only after your money (as most of them) then he will not be happy with any nice presents .

I suggest give him 15k from the ATM and he will tell you he loves you until next month.

And I suggest you stop filling the gay forum with your prejudices. If you spend your life with boys who are only after your money it might be worthwhile to indulge in a little introspection.

So back to the thread and why it's useful for me.

I missed my friend's bday a couple months ago. I never know what to get my Thai friends, so I'd be grateful if people would toss out ideas, because I have 2 friends that have been pretty good to me and whatever I buy, just doesn't give them the smiles I can get from my farang friends. I've tried clothes, but let's face it, I still think Kurt Cobain had style and I can't get their sizes right, once buying a shirt that was 3 sizes too small. That earned the wow, are you hopeless look and a polite smile. I tried books, but we won't go there. Acool japanese electric shaver you can use in the shower, but my friend said, thank you - what you want me to shave, my legs? :D I got a bottle of good whiskey once and he said it was too expensive and was I saying he was a drinker? He still has it and says we can't drink it because it is too good. :o Then there is the gold chain I thought was a good deal, but it was "copy". Boy, have I heard about it for the past 2 years. Well, it looked nice..... Colognes are sort of personal. I bought one that he was using and he said, my ex bought me that and I was trying to get rid of it. It was too expensive to throw out. That was a big oops on my part, but at least it show's he's thrifty. :D

The gift my gay friend really liked was when we went to Bangkok for a boys weekend. We did alot of dumbass sh*t. He hasn't forgotten our night where I was trying to attract some farang girls and they instead hit on him and he got to say, sorry I'm gay and then the girls looked at me and said, oh he's your boyfriend, to which he replied, ewww no. He finds this a particularly amusing story to repeat multiple times when we are out with friends, usually ending with the fact that he is good looking and that I should wear a bag over my head. (And no it's not told in a cruel way, just the kind of thing where friends dredge up embarrassing moments to share.) We do get a good laugh though and maybe that's the best gift you can give someone - happy times and memories.

Actually, you're right, GK. Dinner out at a restaurant of their choice (and maybe a movie or possibly drinking/dancing afterwards) is an excellent present for someone who's just a gay friend, and shows that spending time together is important for both of you.

If someone has made a point of being frequently difficult or dissatisfied with gifts in the past, but he was important enough that I really wanted to give him *some*thing, I would probably do a gift certificate thing to one of the big stores or malls. Not exactly a warm present, but if he can't be gracious enough to accept that 'it's the thought that counts,' it's his own lookout.

In my experience, Thais are generally not very effusive about gifts they receive. There have been other threads about "gifts and Thais" in this forum and my experience is not unique.

I have found, however, that giving an "experience" such as an outing/dinner/travel, etc. is probably the most appreciated.

In my experience, Thais are generally not very effusive about gifts they receive. There have been other threads about "gifts and Thais" in this forum and my experience is not unique.

I have found, however, that giving an "experience" such as an outing/dinner/travel, etc. is probably the most appreciated.

I think you are right on with your observation.

Is it because of the difference in purchasing power - a farang gives an expensive present to a Thai ... the Thai thinks you are trying to buy him? I'm not talking about bar boys (and I have plenty of experience there) but someone who has a regular and responsible job.

My experience with someone I like very much (?love?) ... I have bought things he needs and things that I think he would like, all of which he could never realistically afford to have on his salary: A nice wristwatch; gold chains; a small motorcycle to get to work; cologne; clothes ... none of these things was greeted with a ""WoW"" ... and the sex after receiving the present was never satisfactory but more an act of submissive duty. (I would point out that sex at other times was outstanding).

The most appreciated present I ever gave him was health insurance!

My suggestion for a belated birthday present is a night on the town or a weekend away to somewhere of his choice ... or health insurance?

I think you are right on with your observation.

Is it because of the difference in purchasing power - a farang gives an expensive present to a Thai ... the Thai thinks you are trying to buy him? I'm not talking about bar boys (and I have plenty of experience there) but someone who has a regular and responsible job.

The most appreciated present I ever gave him was health insurance!

My suggestion for a belated birthday present is a night on the town or a weekend away to somewhere of his choice ... or health insurance?

I sort of have similar experience on this. You have to be extra careful not to make them feel 'poor'. Thai culture is very strange what one can say and do. I have mostly been interacting with guys that are working and have their own money. That seems to make things even more difficult what comes to relationships. Its all about their family and status. Sort of a paradox here. When they come from bars they are happy to receive almost anything (valuable, that is) and when they come closer to making it financially they seem to need nothing and get quite conscious if you manage to disappoint them.

My friend is someone with his own business and has already all the things imaginable that I could come up with. He's in his early 30's and not a flashy or fashionable guy.

I reckon it might do with a dinner but the thing is that he does that on regular basis.

Maybe a gift voucher...but I personally would like to give something nicer. Just can't figure out what. :o

Health insurance. Now why didn't I think of that? I should have. Outstanding.

It's just so appropriate for one of my friends. He's 28 and thinks he's invulnerable, but he rides a motorbike and works long hours to support his family. He doesn't have proper coverage. What better way to say you care?

OK I'm like an old granny, so I'm easily excited by this, but it's brilliant.

I GAVE THAI BF A BAUME AND MERCIER WATCH FOR BIRTHDAY. IT WAS GENUINE, BUT HE WON'T WEAR IT BECAUSE THEY SELL THE FAKE ONES AT PATPONG AND HE THINKS PEOPLE WILL THINK ITS A KNOCK-OFF. JUST CAN'T WIN.

TIM

Health insurance. I would never have thought of that. However - I thought the Thai Government introduced the 30 baht healthcare scheme - so Thai nationals pay a maximum of 30 baht for any hospital treatment.

In my present relationship, I totally agree with Geriatrickid ... it doesn't matter what I think he needs/wants, it is wrong. I have found the best thing to do is give him money and let him buy what he wants, which is usually clothing or footwear.

Peter

The 30B scheme works in theory, IF:

you don't need a particularly expensive procedure

you are well-connected and can show it

you don't mind waiting around all day in the public hospital

(there have been scandals, for example, where the mayor of a town sued a hospital because it wouldn't give his brother's wife (or something like that) surgery on the 30B scheme).

Basically, it's very, very, spotty though it sometimes works.

Having health insurance allows a person to get immediate care at the hospital of his/her choice (including, if desired, the public hospitals).

"S"

I have found that a bouquet of flowers seems to work well for both males and females, except for the money boys and girls who much prefer money or gold chains, etc. Since I have graduated from the rent boys to more substantial Thai boys and men, they appear to be appreciative of the flowers. You have to be careful with the flower colors being appropriate to the sex of the receipient andot give colors more appropriate for teh funeral. The flower vendor will know. :o

• 1 month later...

:o

something unique.We all love to feel special. Mine got me my favorite toffees from the north of UK

my hero!

I GAVE THAI BF A BAUME AND MERCIER WATCH FOR BIRTHDAY. IT WAS GENUINE, BUT HE WON'T WEAR IT BECAUSE THEY SELL THE FAKE ONES AT PATPONG AND HE THINKS PEOPLE WILL THINK ITS A KNOCK-OFF. JUST CAN'T WIN.

TIM

ridiculous ! I will never understand them... What matters for them is the show off only...