How To Handle Motorbike Ticket

PETDCAT

I might have been a bit careless with my wording in a previous post.

And I made the assumption that we were talking about interaction between farang and police.

Let's try this way: I doubt that you would get in trouble for asking if you can pay the fine on the spot. Note that I did not say "bribe the officer". Use that "farang ignorance" to your advantage. Never say, "Can I pay you?"

Also, I doubt that "everybody, with the exception of [myself], knows that police are not empowered to collect cash fines". From the behavior of most of the policemen in Thailand, "most people" could assume that it is legit.

I never said what is legal or not, I was relating my experience. I also have had police who had no interest in me "paying on the spot", simply writing the ticket and handing me that, while keeping my license.

I stand by my statement...you will not get in trouble for asking the officer if you can pay there

When I heard stories like this in the past, it use to make by blood boil, 'corruption this', 'corruption that', and 'this would never happen in my own country'. But then I started to think about it. It is this type of behaviour that keeps Thailand where it is, a non-developed 2nd class Asian country. My god, if Thailand was to rise above that and become a developed asian nation like Malaysia or Singapore, do you think we would have it so easy here? Of course not. Nah, I am happy just the way it is. Thailand will never evolve past a 2nd rate Asian country, and that suits me fine... I like my $ buying plenty of baht and the cheaps cost of living here. Bring on the corruption I say...

You're obviously one of life's great thinkers and Thais must be so pleased that you can offer them your great insights.

So long as you can lead a comfortable life here then that's fine. Why should you care about the millions that lead a subsistence existence here - those that work extremely hard and still struggle to find the money to pay for the next meal or the children's school uniform ? The rich get richer and the poor get poorer and long may it stay that way!!!

I know that to some people it may sound selfish, ego-centric and smug but I'm sure that at heart you're a diamond. Just thinking about yourself - nothing wrong with that!!!!

Isn't life grand, being a Rich Oz?

By the way, that idea of hiding behind a pseudonym - smart choice. (To be expected from such a great thinker.) :o

Any more pearls of wisdom you'd like to share with us?

Baited breath and all that.

Edited by KevinHUNT

I taught English to traffic police last week. They assured me that in Thailand both offering and receiving a bribe is against the law. Many of them do not want to get in trouble or loose their jobs over such a small amount of money. Unless the officer is corrupt and demands a bribe, you may find yourself in hot water offering a bribe.

I have had my share of tickets and fines, and have collected a small pile of motorcycle fine receipts myself.

I invite anyone that brings their ticket or receipt down to the PITSTOP bar for a free beer!

We will post them up on the wall as part of our motorcycle fines collection.

Scott

I taught English to traffic police last week. They assured me that in Thailand both offering and receiving a bribe is against the law. Many of them do not want to get in trouble or loose their jobs over such a small amount of money. Unless the officer is corrupt and demands a bribe, you may find yourself in hot water offering a bribe.

Well, the one that stopped me did not speak a lick of ang-grit.

Must have been the one who was sleeping in the back of your class. :o:D

Did you teach them to say.." That's ok, we all make mistakes, I won't write you a citation today. Have a beautiful day. " ?

:D

I taught them the phrase.

"That's ok, I won't fine you this time but next time please 'pay-attention'" (preese pray attentron.)

Well we really struggled over

to fine vs. I am fine

pay attention vs. pay a fine

Most thought that I was saying that the violator should pay attention to their fine which they could pay at the police station.

After frustration, laughs, and my apt use of Northern Thai we got it ironed out.

So, next time a policeman tells you to just "pay-attention" make sure you understood him correctly.

In european countries it is completely normal to pay "on the road", at least for foreigners. e.g. in Germany, Austria, France you can even pay with credit card or EC-card on the spot. Cash is also accepted... is it different in the USA?

So I think it's no problem to ask the officer if you can pay on the spot or have to go to the police station.

In european countries it is completely normal to pay "on the road", at least for foreigners. e.g. in Germany, Austria, France you can even pay with credit card or EC-card on the spot. Cash is also accepted... is it different in the USA?

So I think it's no problem to ask the officer if you can pay on the spot or have to go to the police station.

Yes it is different in the USA, no can do.

Unless your in mayberry and run across sheriff Taylor or Barny pfeife...

Yes.

Normally your citation will have 3 different ways to handle it.

1. Pay fine by mail

2. Request a hearing which will be scheduled within 30 days sometimes 40

3. Attend a traffic school to learn the error of your ways ( and then the citation is dismissed and no reporting to the insurance companies)

* This is of course is if the citation is a criminal traffic or a civil violation. If criminal you can be arrested on the spot or cite in lieu of arrest provided proper ID is shown, and no priors.

If you're a "out of towner" then you can come back and argue in court, or just mail in the envelope provided with your payment.

Of course I didn't mean the procedure for US citizens, but for foreigners. Let's say a tourist who stays maybe 14 days in the US and gets stopped in his rental car. He will get a letter to the address in his homecountry? What if he lives in Kazakhstan or something like that... how can the US authorities ever enforce the payment?

Sending a tourist to the traffic school sounds a bit odd for me as well...

Of course I didn't mean the procedure for US citizens, but for foreigners. Let's say a tourist who stays maybe 14 days in the US and gets stopped in his rental car. He will get a letter to the address in his homecountry? What if he lives in Kazakhstan or something like that... how can the US authorities ever enforce the payment?

Sending a tourist to the traffic school sounds a bit odd for me as well...

There is no difference in local or foreigner..

If it is a civil violation, speeding, illegal lane change, etc. most likely nothing would ever happen. Suspension of your driving privledges within that state... If it is of the criminal variety, they will issue a warrant for your arrest. No, not going to come looking for you, but if you are ever stopped again close to the location-juristiction which issued the cite, they're going to lock you up. ( well, not you personally..)

Unlike here, you are going to be treated the same as a "citizen" and offered the school to attend. ( It's normally a all day event, quite boring, and the instructor usually teaches his complete disrespect for the police and talks about how to get out of a ticket..it is quite the show. :o )

But unlike here, offer up some moola, you're going to go to jail.

The way I'm reading this is that police corruption in the form of paying the fine on the spot is, for whatever reason, getting less acceptable/more risky. Shouldn't we be largely happy with this state of affairs? Won't it be possible that as a group (farangs) we'll be less likely than before to face being stopped and "fined" for fictitious offences if the officer concerned has no personal gain to make? Surely the only people wanting to preserve the status quo are those who want to get off lightly for riding around without a helmet, the proper papers, lights, tax, tyre tread etc and I'm confident that doesn't apply to any of us sensible TV members. :o

Maybe this indicates the start of the traffic police actually doing the job they should - keeping death traps like the truck in my recent thread off the road would be a move in the right direction.

By the way, can anyone enlighten me as to why, having bothered to buy and wear a crash helmet, a grown up farang presumably aware of the risks would ride around with the strap unfastened? I see a couple of people a week doing this and really can't get my head around it.

By the way, can anyone enlighten me as to why, having bothered to buy and wear a crash helmet, a grown up farang presumably aware of the risks would ride around with the strap unfastened? I see a couple of people a week doing this and really can't get my head around it.

Perhaps you are making an incorrect assumption about the intelligence level of those folks or the extent to which they use their intelligence. Reading some of the posts on this forum should help to readjust your assumptions.

I showed the ticket to a thai friend today and found out that i was also charged with not having the green book with me.

Hmmm this is a new one for me - I was under the impression that the ownership papers are not required to be carried on bikes or in cars. This was also confirmed in a thread in the motoring forum. It seems like a bad idea to carry them should the vehicle be stolen and we have never carried or been asked for them.

Anyone know for sure?

I showed the ticket to a thai friend today and found out that i was also charged with not having the green book with me.

Hmmm this is a new one for me - I was under the impression that the ownership papers are not required to be carried on bikes or in cars. This was also confirmed in a thread in the motoring forum. It seems like a bad idea to carry them should the vehicle be stolen and we have never carried or been asked for them.

Anyone know for sure?

Carry a copy, 50 satang. Recommended by many Thais. Just do it.

In the UK they have used technology to prevent the need for the police to stand by the road subsidising the tax regime. Radar operated cameras on every street automatically take a photo of your numberplate and then send the bribary demand to your home. Now that's progress. Same same ... but not that different?

"Not all police will accept such cash in hand fines, so tread with care."

I do not understand the "tread with care"...if they will not let you pay the fine there, they will give the money back, keep your id, and tell you that you have to go to the station.

You will not get in trouble for trying to pay the fine on the spot.

A real life example, happened to a guy I know about 6 months ago.

Driving from Pattaya to Trat, a three hour drive, nice empty fast road - generally.

Stopped by police outside a town for speeding, quick chat paid a 200 Baht on the spot fine, no receipt given, he continues his journey, he is in a hurry.

Stopped by police an hour or so later, he just wants to get to his destination quickly so tries to avoid the 'don't be a naughty boy and drive too fast...' conversation and straight away offers 200 Baht in cash to the officer. At that point the officer pointed out he was offering a bribe and wrote him up for the offence and for speeding as well. I can't remember how much he paid in the end but it was a few '000 at the police station.

Is this clear enough?

Tread speak with care.

"You will not get in trouble for trying to pay the fine on the spot." but be clear that it is not a bribe.

That is what I said, allow the police to stop speaking, ask about the fine and if you can pay the fine here etc...

Also you do not know if that police check point is being checked themselves by senior police or people monitoring the police, sometimes paying on the spot is not possible.

"Not all police will accept such cash in hand fines, so tread with care."

I do not understand the "tread with care"...if they will not let you pay the fine there, they will give the money back, keep your id, and tell you that you have to go to the station.

You will not get in trouble for trying to pay the fine on the spot.

A real life example, happened to a guy I know about 6 months ago.

Driving from Pattaya to Trat, a three hour drive, nice empty fast road - generally.

Stopped by police outside a town for speeding, quick chat paid a 200 Baht on the spot fine, no receipt given, he continues his journey, he is in a hurry.

Stopped by police an hour or so later, he just wants to get to his destination quickly so tries to avoid the 'don't be a naughty boy and drive too fast...' conversation and straight away offers 200 Baht in cash to the officer. At that point the officer pointed out he was offering a bribe and wrote him up for the offence and for speeding as well. I can't remember how much he paid in the end but it was a few '000 at the police station.

Is this clear enough?

Tread speak with care.

"You will not get in trouble for trying to pay the fine on the spot." but be clear that it is not a bribe.

That is what I said, allow the police to stop speaking, ask about the fine and if you can pay the fine here etc...

Also you do not know if that police check point is being checked themselves by senior police or people monitoring the police, sometimes paying on the spot is not possible.

Exactly, I work with these guys and gals and had posted 6 months ago that there was going

to be a big change in the way fines are delt with. If you get bagged for whatever reason,

you better keep your wits about you.

# 1 Show respect to the officer.

# 2 Do not argue your case.

# 3 You were stopped because you broke the

law.

# 4 Say you are sorry, you did not intend to

break the laws of Thailand.

At this point he can write you up or give you a

lecture on the law and let you go. "up to you"

and your attitude. They are just doing a job, but they have discretion.

Pay heed to what has been said above about

" paying the fine on the spot" enough said.

Chok Dee, wear your lid and you will save yourself a lot of grief. Happy biking in LOS.