Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

From today's Record:

CELTIC target Stefan Johansen arrived in Glasgow last night and insisted he’s here to play Champions League football.

The Norwegian will have a medical today ahead of a £2million switch to the Hoops after leaving Dubai where he was on a winter break with current club Stromsgodset.

The midfielder is excited at the prospect of joining Neil Lennon’s side and revealed the lure of Champions League football helped sell him on a move to Parkhead.

Johansen said: “Hopefully everything will go to plan and I can become a Celtic player.

“I’m having a medical and I’ll be really happy if everything works out.

“Celtic are a very big club. They’re leading the Scottish Premiership and play in the Champions League. That’s the big attraction for me.”

From today's Record:

Neil Lennon insists his Celtic team would never struggle in the English top flight.

The Hoops boss has been to plenty of games down south in the past few months as he looks for talent to improve his squad.

But Lennon believes the players he already has at Parkhead would hold their own against sides in England – and could even push for a top-half finish.

He said: “I’ve taken in games in England and they tend to over-egg the product.

“With my group of players we would be OK in the Premier League. We would hold our own. There is quality down there, no question about it, but there is a lot of
mediocrity as well.

“I’m not saying we would be top 10 but we’d be mid-table anyway. I don’t think we would be in the relegation dogfight.”

Another 3 points for Celtic with a 4-0 win at Easter Road. To say Celtic were flattered is putting it mildly. They went ahead in the 8th minute when Commons availed of dreadful Hibs defending. There seemed to be no danger to the home side from a speculative punt forward but both defenders got in each others way and the ball broke kindly for Commons who held off a challenge to finish comfortably. Samaras wasted a chance later with a powder puff shot when a pass to Commons would have seemed a much better option. Hibs had a free header from a cross straight at Forster and the goalie had to make a good block from Stanton and Izaguirre cleared the loose ball.

Hibs really came into it in the 2nd half and Forster made several good saves to keep the home side at bay. Celtic were hardly showing at all at this stage and the home side would not have been flattered to be on level terms. Hibs had been conceding several free kicks in dangerous areas and it cost them when Van Dijk stepped up in the 77th minute to curl a superb goal into the top corner. Pukki on a 2nd half sub fired a terrific 3rd in the 82th minute across goal from a tight angle and into the top corner with Williams unable to keep it out. In the closing minutes Maybury committed a silly foul with a shove on Pukki in the area to give Celtic a penalty which Commons dispatched emphatically.

• Like 1

Commons being interviewed after winning this month's Daily Record Player of the Month:

KRIS COMMONS says he’s ready to commit himself to Celtic for the rest of his career.

The 21-goal midfielder is in the form of his life and insists he’s so happy at Parkhead that looking for a return to England has never crossed his mind.

Commons joined Celtic from Derby three years ago and has seen team-mates Gary Hooper, Victor Wanyama, Kelvin Wilson and Jos Hooiveld all move south.

And while Georgios Samaras, Joe Ledley and Fraser Forster continue to be linked with moves to the English Premier League Commons is rarely mentioned – and that suits him fine.

The Hoops star told Record Sport: “There’s a reason why my name never comes up – it’s because I love playing here. I’m more than happy staying here and I’m more than happy to see out my career here. I know how quickly football can change. So much can happen and I can only talk about how things are at the moment.

“I have to admit though I’m quite happy when I’m not in the papers in connection with speculation about me moving here or there.

“The fact is I don’t want to be anywhere else. I’m more than happy to keep plodding along and if the manager and fans are happy with what I’m doing that’s good enough for me.

“I played a long time in England and there is no great yearning to go back.

“I’ve got the rest of this season and all of next year left on my contract so there is no urgency for the club or for me to sit down and talk.

“I know the club is speaking to Sami and Joe at the moment. There are other people who have a shorter time left on their contracts than I have.

“But I’d hope the manager would be looking to do that with me sometime in the summer which is what I would like to do.

“I want to stay. There’s no doubt in my mind about that.”

What we were chatting about on Monday Salty old son.

This was in today's Record:

PAT STANTON reckons namesake Sam will spread Sunshine on Leith – if he keeps a cool head and isn’t burdened by the name on his shirt.

Hibs hero Pat made that name legend in a career with the club that spanned 398 games and saw him score 50 goals.

On Sunday, 38 years after he left Easter Road for Celtic, he saw his namesake sparkle on his first-team debut against the champions.

And the former skipper who went on to manage the club insists the future is bright for 19-year-old Sam Stanton.

Pat – great-great nephew of Michael Whelan, the first Hibs skipper and a club founder – said: “It was nice for me and my family to see the Stanton name on the back of a Hibs jersey again, even though we’re not related.

Another 4-0. This time against Kilmarnock. I think we're only about 60 points ahead of Hearts now . . . whistling.gif .

The Hoops have now gone 23 league games unbeaten since the start of the season to sit 18 points clear of second-placed Aberdeen, and another clean sheet means the champions equalled the club record of 10, last achieved in 1921/22.

Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster has broken the club's 92-year old clean-sheet record with his eleventh shutout in a row.

The England international made history as he surpassed the record set by Charlie Shaw in 1913-14 and again in 1921-22 as Celtic recorded a hard-fought 1-0 victory over St Mirren at Celtic Park.

I kinda watched it along with the oval ball game between out lot and yours. As both progressed I have to say for once i paid more attention to the rugger buggers because the football seemed to be rather featureless. The goal came early and the goalie will surely be annoyed with himself. I noted near the end when Celtic blocked a clearance and had a 2 on 1 with the goalie. That idiot Stokes drew the goalie and a pass to Boerrighter would have been a tap in. Instead he tried to round the goalie who sensibly forced him wide and Stokes from a very tight angle blazed high and wide.

As I said a few weeks back CB Stokes is someone who needs his arse kicked on a regular basis.

CELTIC Park will host next month's Scottish League Cup final, the Scottish Professional Football League has announced.

Aberdeen are due to face Inverness as the first major piece of silverware of the season is contested.

But with Hampden unavailable as it is readied for the Commonwealth Games, Celtic Park has beaten off competition from Rangers' Ibrox Stadium to hold the March 16 showpiece.

We might not be in the Cup but we're still making money on the strength of it.

Celtic 1 Aberdeen 2

Celtic were knocked out of the Cup by Aberdeen at Parkhead and it has to be said the Dons were well worthy of their win. After an early goal by Stokes Celtic were dire and created very little. Aberdeen had the better chances and availed of some dreadful defending form Celtic to equalize following a corner. It was hard to shake the ominous feeling at half time as Celtic were looking 2nd best.

And early in the 2nd half Celtic were behind when Barry Robson blocked a clearance pushed it through to Pawlett who shot across goal and in off the far post. Van Dijk headed over when he had a decent chance and Aberdeen nearly went 2 ahead when they hit the post shortly after. Celtic created practically nothing afterwards. Griffin on a sub shot wide but apart from that the Dons had little to worry them and they saw the game out comfortably.

I have seen so many poor Celtic displays over the years in knockout matches that this does not come as a huge surprise to me.

CELTIC boss Neil Lennon welcomed back the Green Brigade after the controversial ultras group made an unofficial Parkhead return.

The group was dispersed from its base at section 111 at Celtic Park back in December following numerous complaints about behaviour.

The runaway Scottish Premiership leaders were fined £42,000 by UEFA after a huge banner depicting IRA terrorist Bobby Sands was unfurled during a Champions League clash with AC Milan on November 26, while the ultras were also blamed for damage to seating at Fir Park a week later.

But a 250-strong band of supporters, including two drummers, who carried with them a huge Green Brigade flag marched into section 118 of the Lisbon Lions Stand five minutes before the Hoops kicked-off their 3-0 win over St Johnstone.

A Celtic spokeswoman refused to confirm whether the group would be welcomed back permanently, saying only: "They were not banned and they bought individual match tickets."

But Lennon - whose side won courtesy of an Anthony Stokes hat-trick - would welcome their return.

He said: "Whoever they were - I don't know if they were the official Green Brigade or not - I can't thank them enough because they made a hell of a difference to the atmosphere today. The players would have thrived on it.

"I got word this week that they might be in and I was delighted to hear that noise. You tell even just by the rhythm of the game that they added to it.

"So long as everyone works within the rules of the club then we welcome that colour, energy, noise. It's been part of my time here for the last three and a half years and we don't want to miss that because they brought a lot of good to the ground.

Lennon handed Leigh Griffiths his first start since securing a £1million switch from Wolves a fortnight ago and watched as the former Hibernian man teed up Stokes for the 16th-minute opener.

The Irishman wriggled past a couple of half-hearted challenges before planting the ball beyond Alan Mannus in the Saints goal.

Scott Brown then scooped a cross to the back post for Stokes to bury his second on 64 minutes, while his treble was complete two minutes later as he smashed the ball beyond Mannus again after Stefan Johansen and Kris Commons combined down the left.

The victory also saw Fraser Forster rack up his 12th league shut-out in a row to equal the 43-year-old record set by former Aberdeen goalkeeper Bobby Clark. The England keeper now has to survive just 31 minutes against Hearts at Tynecastle next Saturday to beat Clark's record of 1,155 minutes without conceding a league goal.

"He can be really proud of what he is doing at the minute," said Lennon. "It means a lot to him personally. He's got 31 minutes to go and these are great incentives for the players, not just to win the title, but to win it in a certain style.

"He's a fantastic goalkeeper. He's one of the best Celtic have ever had. For him to achieve what he has achieved in such a short space of time, I think, is miraculous."

Celtic reaffirmed their 21-point lead over Aberdeen with the win to put them on the verge of three-in-a-row.

But their manager was unhappy with morning headlines which suggested he may be about to quit his post.

"I don't know where they came from," he said. "I was asked 'Do you think you have taken the club as far as you can?' and I said well maybe the last 16 is maybe as far as we can go for the time being, so I think it was taken completely out of context.

"I hope I will be here for the long haul. I haven't changed my mind on anything. I've got work to do here."

St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright refused to criticise his players for losing to the unbeaten Parkhead men.

"I thought Celtic were excellent, they played very well and kept the ball, " he said. "They would have been hurting from losing to Aberdeen last week so it was no surprise that they played so well.

"I'm not going to criticise my players coming up against a team like that. We had started okay but ended up chasing the game. But Celtic were fantastic today."

FRASER FORSTER made history yesterday and now Neil Lennon has challenged the rest of his players to do the same by beating Celtic’s record points total.

Lennon was part of the Hoops team that racked up 103 points under Martin O’Neill in season 2001-2002.

But the Parkhead boss believes this squad can better that – and if they win all their remaining games it will take the tally to 108.

It remains to be seen if Celts can pull off such a feat but what isn’t in any doubt is that Leigh Griffiths will score goals for Celtic.

The Hibs old boy opened his account for the club with a brilliant goal at Tynecastle before Teemu Pukki added a second in injury time.

Celtic now head north to Aberdeen on Tuesday night seeking their 16th successive league win and Lennon wants to keep the run going.

He was proud to see keeper Forster break Bobby Clark’s Scottish league record of 1,115 minutes without conceding a goal but then set his sights on surpassing another landmark.

Lennon said: “It would quite something to get more than 100 points and more than we got under Martin in 2002.

“It is a target we are aiming for. We want to try to remain unbeaten until the end of the season but it might be a step too far.”

I saw it last night in conjunction with MU CL game. Van Dijk was sold down the river by Ambrose but I think all defenders should not make silly challenges in these situations. The forward still had to beat Forster who may have been able to get a block. Apart from some panicky defending by Celtic for a long while Aberdeen did not look very menacing with the extra man. Out of the blue Hayes produced a terrific strike which flew into the top corner leaving Forster helpless. That was 5 minutes before half time and with a minute to the interval a good cross from McGinn was headed in for no 2.

Celtic had a good bit of possession in the 2nd half but hardly ever looked dangerous apart from the goal which was well taken by Forrest on as a sub. Very similar to the last minute goal which got us into the CL. We will have to wait a week longer for the title.

Neil%20Lennon%20looks%20on%20as%20his%20

"The incentive now is to go unbeaten the rest of the season. That's the target for them and to win the championship with a bit of style."

<snip>

he knows finishing the league season unbeaten might not stop some people accusing the team of having failed this season given the lack of cup success during a period when Rangers are absent from the top flight.

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Chicog