Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Indeed they did well for most of it; should be able to best them in Scotland.

I doubt you even watched the game after that comment.

Of course I did you plank.

After the first half an hour they really didn't have much to worry about at all.

I'm assuming that you didn't watch it then.

A 1-0 defeat at Inverness. Celtic made 10 changes from the starting 11 against Maribor. The winning goal came midway through the 2nd half. Watkins with a good run and dangerous centre was parried by Zaluska but the ball rebounded off O'Connell into the net.

Celtic were poor all through and only rarely looked dangerous. Pukki had a decent chance but took a touch when he should have shot and an easy save for the goalie ensued. Commons had a blaster but straight at the goalie who blocked. Biton was the closest when he dummied on the edge of the area and curled it against the bar with the goalie beaten. But these were isolated instances in the first half. Caley had a few decent efforts just wide. Mulgrew headed a corner off the line and Celtic were lucky not to concede a penalty.

After Caley went ahead Celtic began to press more. A neat 1-2 with Stokes which gave Commons a good chance but his shot lacked power and direction and the goalie had a comfortable save. Apart from that Caley had really no anxious moments.

It was painful watching Celtic and you would hope that they will be far better on Tuesday.

JS44419550.jpg
Callum McGregor applauds the away fans at the final whistle

CALLUM McGregor reckons the power of Parkhead can put the frighteners on Maribor and inspire Celtic to a Champions League slot.

And the Hoops superkid is set for the perfect pre-match boost with a shock Scotland call-up for next month’s Euro 2016 opener against Germany.

Gordon Strachan will name his squad today for the clash in Dortmund.

And McGregor is set to cap his rapid rise to the big time with a promotion from the Under-21s to
the senior set-up for the showdown with the world champions.

However, his focus is fixed on tomorrow night’s Euro crunch first and he is convinced the electric atmosphere at Celtic Park can spook the Slovenians and turn their evening into a nightmare .

Celtic 0 NK Maribor 1 (1-2)

Celtic went out of the CL with a 0-1 defeat. On the night Maribor deserved to go through. Apart from the early stages of the 2nd half Celtic always seemed to be playing 2nd fiddle to the Slovenians.

In the first half Maribor were doing most of the attacking and Celtic rarely showed. Gordon got a lucky rebound after a decent block and it was with relief the game got to HT at 0-0.

Commons came on for Kayal at half time and it was Celtic's best spell of the match. McGregor hit the crossbar and Commons shot just over. Ambrose under some pressure headed a corner wide when he should have done better. But gradually Maribor began to take control again and Celtic always seemed to be under pressure. Maribor were getting plenty of room on the left wing and with 15 minutes to go a dangerous centre was dealt with poorly by Izaguirre. The ball broke to Tavares and he curled a fine shot over Gordon who had no chance.

Celtic were unable to exert much pressure in the closing stages and Maribor could have clinched it but Tavares shot over.. Celtic were giving away some stupid free kicks. In extra time Van Dijk in a good position shot straight at the keeper.

Both teams played far better away than at home and Celtic will regret not winning in Slovenia when they had the chances. Overall they were poor tonight and it was only a huge blunder by Legia that saw them at this stage.

JS44609651.jpg

Stefan Scepovic looks set to sign for Ronny Deila after Celts finally agreed a £2.4m deal for the striker

CELTIC last night moved a huge step closer to signing Stefan Scepovic after thrashing out a £2.4million deal with Sporting Gijon.

Parkhead chiefs ended a day of frantic negotiations by agreeing the fee with the Spanish outfit for the 24-year-old hitman. Now Celtic just have to sort out personal terms with the Serbian international to land their man – as Amido Balde heads for the exit door.

I felt Celtic did not deserve to qualify after a farce from UFEA over Warsaw decision , maybe karma was waiting to hit them last night , anyway I think the Celt boss will be getting a P45 this morning , fans was angry last night , booed the team off the pitch . The new boss will be necessary , David Moyes springs to mind . I think he can do well for Celtic .

Edited by Billy The Kid

No. You said, "in glee" not "with glee."

Now Celtic are rubbing their hands in glee

as we look forward to entering the Europa League.

On the bright side, Celtic fans in the Middle East can now stay up late and get pished while watching the games because they don't have to work on Fridays.

See, there's always a positive.

RD must shoulder the blame for last night's second dumping from the CL:

Maribor boss Ante Simundza insisted afterwards that he was banking of Deila instructing his players to attack his team - even though Celtic didn’t need to score to go through.

He said: “I expected the Celtic that I saw today. I expected them to start slowly and then attack us more in the second half.

“It’s very hard for every team to play at Celtic Park and for the home team as well. The fans put a lot of pressure on the home team. The home fans are very tough on their team because they always want them to attack.

“This was what I expected. That is the card I was playing and thankfully it worked for us.”

JS44871340.jpg
Champions League misery for Virgil van Dijk

VIRGIL VAN DIJK last night dropped a bombshell on Celtic by revealing the dismal Champions League exit has clouded his future.

Celtic are reeling from their calamitous failure to make the group stage as they have lost a £20million jackpot and suffered a loss of prestige.

Now Dutch star van Dijk has added to the gloom by admitting he could be out the door by the time the transfer window closes on Monday.

Spanish outfit Seville, who have just sold centre-back Federico Fazio to Spurs for £8m, are interested in reinvesting the sum on Van Dijk, who cost Celtic just £2.5m when he signed from Groningen last year.

I dont understand why my fellow Norwegian countryman Ronny Deila ended up in Celtic in the first place. Overrated manager and only experience from Norwegian league, very odd choice for a big, ambitious club like Celtic.

Edited by balo

I dont understand why my fellow Norwegian countryman Ronny Deila ended up in Celtic in the first place. Overrated manager and only experience from Norwegian league, very odd choice for a big, ambitious club like Celtic.

Couldn't agree more. Him and Peter Lawwell

have a lot of answering to do very soon.

Yes, very true . I predict Ronny Deila will be sacked before christmas.

It's a different ballgame to be a manager for a big club like Celtic than winning the Norwegian league.

Couldn't agree more. Him and Peter Lawwell

have a lot of answering to do very soon.

On the other side of the coin CB. Are you one of the silent majority.rolleyes.gif

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/lawwell-celtic-among-best-run-clubs-in-world-1-3525679

Dundee 1 Celtic 1

Another poor display by Celtic. Fast asleep at the start Dundee forced a corner from which McPake headed Dundee into the lead. It was pretty obvious what the Dundee plan was but Celtic just stood there watching. Bad defending by McGregor on the line who should have been able to hoof it clear. Celtic began to press and Commons had a decent effort. But that the exception as Dundee were comfortable against a slow predictable build up. On the counter attack Dundee looked far more dangerous. A dangerous cross ball just evaded an inrushing forward. Gordon left Izaguirre for dead and his cross shot was tipped on to the post by Gordon and away. The Honduran was dreadful and was booked later. McDonald chasing a through ball lifted it over Gordon and just over the bar. Ambrose decided to stop when level with him. Griffith replaced Berget after 40 minutes. Celtic almost equalized on the stroke of half time when Stokes free kick bounced up but the goalie made an excellent save.

Celtic looked a little less lethargic on resuming and drew level in 54 minutes. Griffiths was given too much room and his shot took a deflection and in. Celtic now were well in control but not creating an awful lot. Izaguirre was fortunate not to be sent off for a 2nd yellow with a stupid tackle.

Dundee were very dangerous in counter attacks. Gordon made a good save on 76 minutes and Dundee shot wide from a good chance. Celtic frailties in defense were making it very anxious viewing. In the closing stages Stokes shot lamely wide form a tight angle. Griffiths had a good shot. Dundee on yet another counter attack shot just wide though Gordon had it covered

Van Djyk was not on the panel as his partner is expecting. He would not have been as lifeless at the start .. But it seems ominous and he may be moving on. Denayer played well and you have to wonder why he did not play against Maribor. Mubarak was on the bench but was not brought on. Matthews went off injured and with Lustig and he getting injured frequently it looks like we will be stuck with Izaguirre at full back.

The infamous "biscuit tin" mentality comes back to bite someone in the ass.

attachicon.gifIMG_9079.jpeg

Neil Lennon must be pishing himself with laughter.

Keano said no, King Henry said no, LOL

Still in 4 competitions,including the top division in our country. Never been in administration and never been liquidated hence we are still the same team we were when we formed in 1887.

Neil Lennon, ex Celtic player, captain and manager and current fan I doubt will be pishing himself with laughter.

Keano didn't get the chance to say no, neither did Thierry Henry.

post-132713-0-93637900-1409625465_thumb.

• Like 2

Good news on transfer deadline day. Virgil Van Djyk did not go anywhere and the Stepovic deal went through. Hopefully he will be a big improvement on our present strikers .

The thought of the big Dutchman leaving was frightening with kamikaze defenders like Ambrose and Izaguirre.