Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

A great day in the fabled history of Celtic  as they beat Motherwell to clinch a double treble which up to now has never been achieved. All hail to Brendan and the team who have left a huge imprint which will never be forgotten. 

An excellent 1st half by the bhoys in which they scored twice and the only danger was some of the "agricultural challenges" by the opposition. A superb goal by McGregor  and a fine finish by Ntcham  reflected our domination by HT.

We seemed to drop the intensity in the 2nd half and in the last fifteen minutes seemed to go to sleep. Celtic fell back and were sitting on the lead.It was a concern that if Motherwell got one back we could have been in for a nervy finish. If Dembele who was superb had got the penalty he should have earned when he was pulled back in the area we would have been on easy street. Neither of our substitutions seemed to help us.  The one I felt was needed was to replace Forrest who posed little threat with Roberts. With 10 minutes to go Motherwell hit the bar with a free kick but that was as close as they came. After that the only problem the Bhoys had was unrolling the banner saying Double Treble so we could all read it.

So another great season for the Bhoys. Now I am off to celebrate with a double hic treble. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy Grail of a double treble, never done before.......Great times to be a Celt.

Totally dominant first half performance, saw Celtic go in 2 up at HT, with 2 cracking goals. Back men were standing up to the steelmens  physicality, Midfielders were over running them and Dembele was sharp. Only downside was 3 dreadful brutal tackles on Tierney, Referees have got to offer this lad more protection. Second half Motherwell played better than they did in first half, Gordon did have to make an outstanding save, as did their keeper when Dembele looked to have scored with a header.

Madrid reps cannot but have been impressed with Tierneys outstanding display. Skipper Brown was my MOM, outstanding vision, leadership, works so hard for the team.

• 5 weeks later...

We just got through last season against Rosenborg so no cause for complacency there assuming we get through to meet them. Altogether a minefield of 4 qualifying rounds to negotiate if we are to make the CL this year. 

I would anticipate some very nervous evenings in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, salty said:

We just got through last season against Rosenborg so no cause for complacency there assuming we get through to meet them.

Rosenborg used to be a good team with international players, but the last 3-4 years the club been struggling.

This season they will not win the Norwegian league so I think you got nothing to worry about . Only class player is Bendtner , but he is getting older and have been injured many times.  

• 2 weeks later...

So far, Armstrong, Eric and Cifti out, Eddie in, so just about breaking even with transfer fees/wages.

Boyata is having a great world cup, he looked so composed against quality England strikers last night. There is talk of Italian interest, I reckon, with only a year left on his contract, it would be great business to sell him on for the fees being branded around-6m plus, think every game he plays ups his value, here's hoping he does not pull one of his "Effe" stunts. If he goes, that would leave Joso, Ajer, Hendry and the German, who seems to be in last chance salon. Either way, a new Center half may depend on Lustig staying or going.

As you would expect, lots of names being linked. McGinn from Lennys mob is still available, Allen may prove a good bargaining chip, so I would say Allen plus 2m would be good business. Dylan Mac from Hibs and the guy from Killie would be free and would be a better option than the like of Biton. Also Shinnie from the sheep would be able to fill in at LB as well as midfield and Hayes could be a bargaining chip there. Apart from that, not much else in Scotland would be an improvement.

Then there’s the RB from Hull, apparently had some bad injuries and would be a freebee too, so I guess all he needs to do is impress in Austria and he could have a contract. I did read an encouraging article about him in the Scotsman, but then I noted it was written by Magic hat, so that did put a bit of a dampener on things, what would he know about good players/signings?

All's quiet on the Demble front???

Watched the second game on CelticTV yesterday, apparently young Johnstone was a stand out from the first game.

BR fielded strong starting 11, reckon will be close to the team he will start next week in Armenia.

Played good I firs half, game fizzled out in second half. Back 3 of JH,KA and Joso played well throughout. Forrest and Dembele good also. 3 times the ball was played into space ahead of MD and each time, he was strong enough to hold of his marker and fast enough to get free, he scored 1 and missed 2. Sub goalie Hazard looked very assured after replacing CG, who did produce a great double block before being replaced.

Good workout in the Dublin sunshine, BR started with what looks like his strongest available starting 11, would expect this to be the starting line up on Tuesday, great to see  2 strikers starting together. 

Thankfully the game is on at 5pm so will be able to watch and switch to WC semi at 7.

I wouldn't put much store in Dublin game. Shamrock Rovers played a League game in Cork on Friday night so it was always going to be even more of a stroll than usual for the Hoops.

Looking forward to seeing our guys in action on Tuesday hopefully taking first steps to the CL again. The temperature is expected to be about 30 which is not a comforting thought.

In the end it was very comfortable. 2 late goals turned a 1-0 win into a 3 nil and surely we have negoiated the first of 4 hurdles to reach the CL.

We were the better side from the off and Tierney was creating danger early on every time he got on the ball. But we were unable to capitalize on his good work. A disappointing aspect was the lamentable quality of corner and free kicks  which were abysmal. Gordon was solid in goal though at times he seemed quite slow to come off his line. Just before half time we made the break through. an attempted shot from Forrest wildly off target but Eduard showed great reflexes to fire across goal into the far corner.

Hendry almost gifted the home team a goal at the start of the 2nd half as he went to sleep but thankfully Gordon was out quickly and smothered the effort on goal. Celtic were still in the ascendancy but as the half wore on the home team began to press as the heat and lack of serious match practice began to tell. Sinclair and Kouassi replaced Dembele and Ntcham. Dembele had been very lively but Ntcham looked sluggish I thought. Morgan replaced the last of the 3 musketeers Eduoard with 13 minutes to go. Within a few minutes he took a corner which was decent. Sinclair got it back across goal and after a scramble it fell to Forrest who shot home. The TV director who had been a pan in the ass all night took so long to show the replay had to cut back to live action before you could fully grasp what happened. In the closing minutes Forrest ran along the front of the area and set up McGregor to get the 3rd.

All in all a very satisfactory evenings work after the long journey. Celtic should be more match fit by the next round.

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to next round pretty comfortable but not without cost, Joso red carded with a stupid tackle on the half way line and looks like Demble picked up a knock. Joso red card comes at a time where we are thin on the ground with centerhalfs, He is becoming a bit of a liability, red card against Rangers last season in a crucial game and a whackey performance against Hearts. I would be all for selling him if we get a half decent offer. Feel a bit for Comper, would have ben an ideal time to come into the side and prove his worth but sadly, still injured. Doubt if we will see Lustig or Boyata for a few more weeks. And Jack H has yet to convince. At left back, no real cover for KT-who continues to get little protection from Refs. Right back, still no progress. Me, I would punt both Lustig and Gamboa and sign a quality right back.  So all in all, not too healthy in defense at the moment.

Brown and Ollie strolled through the game but what is it with free kicks and corner's, Ollies deliveries were pathetic-as has everybody else for the past few years-with the exception of LG. Surely this is an easy fix on the training ground, when you look at the quality of deliveries from England, for example.

The lads up front are playing well.

Just need to sort out defense and set pieces.

Yes very unfortunate for young Morgan. All our problems seem to be at the back. Jozo displaying his stupidity again and Boyata unlikely to be available for a few weeks after WC exertions assuming he is still here.

Rosenborg seem to be in disarray at present after sacking the manager but I would hate to be depending on that for further progress.

I would say almost definitely Kieran TIERNEY will be staying. But Celtic admit they are vulnerable to a huge offer from down south. 

He is living the dream playing for Celtic but in a year or two financial circumstances for he and Celtic may see the situation change.

4 minutes ago, salty said:

I would say almost definitely Kieran TIERNEY will be staying. But Celtic admit they are vulnerable to a huge offer from down south. 

He is living the dream playing for Celtic but in a year or two financial circumstances for he and Celtic may see the situation change.

He is a terrific talent....hopefully he will stay another year and be joined by some quality as well for the CL.

We take a healthy 2 goal lead to the second leg, must say, Rosenberg are a poor side.

Started a bit cagey, guess it was players getting used to the new system. Gave away a sloppy goal. Hendry gives the ball away in center circle, Brown misses a simple tackle and we are 1 down. But just before HT, Sinclair set up Eddie, who coolly passes the ball to the net. 

Second half gets under way and Ollie nets a cracker from outside the box. Then we really kick on, totally dominate and, having cracked the woodwork a few times. Eddie is played in by Forrest 1 on1 with keeper and coolly lifts ball over advancing keeper.

Great second half performance,2 center backs were solid, Sinclair played well. Could have scored 5 in second half.  

Huge relief to get back to 1-1 just before half time. Conceded a very poor goal and huffed and puffed for most of the 1st half. Too slow and predictable. Ollie should have got a penalty. 2nd half much better . Apart from the goals hit the woodwork three times.                                                                                                                                                                            With 2 of our strikers injured thank heavens for French Eddie. At times his control his poor but he got 2 superb goals and without him now we would be in trouble. Read somewhere that a youth coach at one stage rated him better than Mbappe.

2 goal margin  ought to  be enough to get us through.

Celtic got through without too much trouble as we expected . Despite seeming to find space in the Celtic half Rosenborg rarely threatened. Gamboa made a good tackle early on and Gordon gave us a moments anxiety as he failed to hold a shot but Hendre cleared. Good save by Gordon just before HT.

Celtic seemed to push forward in the 2nd half and Olly was just wide with a good effort.

Gamboa had a dangerous centre but Sinclair was unable to control and it went wide off his knee. Rosenborg pushed hard in the closing stages but our centre backs stood firm.  A lot of mindless whacking of the ball upfield by Celtic giving Edouard and Christie no chance to get on the ball in the closing stages. 

Objective achieved but you would have to say it was uninspiring stuff. More difficult obstacles lie ahead.

27 minutes ago, salty said:

Celtic got through without too much trouble as we expected . Despite seeming to find space in the Celtic half Rosenborg rarely threatened. Gamboa made a good tackle early on and Gordon gave us a moments anxiety as he failed to hold a shot but Hendre cleared. Good save by Gordon just before HT.

Celtic seemed to push forward in the 2nd half and Olly was just wide with a good effort.

Gamboa had a dangerous centre but Sinclair was unable to control and it went wide off his knee. Rosenborg pushed hard in the closing stages but our centre backs stood firm.  A lot of mindless whacking of the ball upfield by Celtic giving Edouard and Christie no chance to get on the ball in the closing stages. 

Objective achieved but you would have to say it was uninspiring stuff. More difficult obstacles lie ahead.

You feeling confident of securing CL this year?

A disappointing 1-1 draw  against AEK leaves us definite 2nd favourites in this tie. Leading by a McGregor goal in the 16th minute we conceded very poorly just before HT. A cross fired across goal saw Klonaridis in plenty of space in front of goal and he lashed it home. Ajer and Hendry nowhere and you wonder could Lustig have done more to block the cross. 

It certainly took the wind out of our sails. We had more possession in the 2nd half especially when they had a man sent off for 2 fouls in the space of a few minutes. But the well organised visitors defence denied Celtic space. Although we huffed and puffed we had only a few very limited opportunities to score again.

This is not the first time our defensive frailties have been evident and barring an inspired performance in Athens it looks like there will be no CL this season. 

Lots of negativity before the game, due to lack transfer activity. Seemed to filter through to the players.

A poor first half, where we failed to work their keeper, both Hayes and Kouassie were very poor, just don't look Celtic class. Griff did have a chance cleared off the line, Sinclair did look threatening.

Second half Joso gifts the ball on half way, Tierney gets brushed off far too easily and Lafferty buries the cross. On the hour, Hayes & Griff replaced, and 10min later, Kouassie hooked. Hearts happy to dig in and hit on the counter, Celtic huffed and puffed, Aussie Tom had a few long range efforts but that was our lot.

All throughout, our set piece deliveries were, as usual, poor.

We just looked so flat, predictable

With a background of BR and the Board not singing from the same hymn sheet  it has not been a good week for the club. The suggestion has been made that BR made 5 changes today to emphasize the lack of back up quality in the squad. 

Both Hayes and Kouassie emphasized the point. The defense is now a major concern. They seemed unable to clear their lines and it put us under pressure on several occasions. Even Tierney now seems to be affected by the general uncertainty and I agree both he and Hendry were far too tame in cutting out the cross which lead to Lafferty's winner.

I hope I am wrong but I cannot see us rescuing our CL hopes on Tuesday. We desperately need new defensive quality in particular.   

Worrying times.

Yes indeed, time to shell out, reckon BR has spent 25M since arriving, lot of which would have been offset by VVD and Armstrong money, along with some other smaller incoming fees. I do acknowledge that our wage bill has increased considerably too since his arrival, so I guess that would have accounted for some of the CL cash.

While agree that defense is now a major concern, equally, for me, is the fact that, just like last season, we are not creating chances/not working opposition keepers, both Hearts and Livingston keepers not tested.  

All the issues are there since we limped over the line last season-no dynamic right back, no king pin center half's-VVD or Paul Elliot type, no quality back up for KT, this one dimensional midfield, Sinclair's loss of form, Browns eventual successor, set piece execution and too many players in squad who are not Celtic quality.

And I am totally baffled by the Boyata saga. Surely if he does not want to sign new deal, he has to be sold-and this needed to be sorted before the transfer window closure. Now it is turning into  disruptive circus, agent stirring it up etc.

So yes, worrying times, where all around us seem to have improved, we are static and stale.

Archived