Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Great to score 4 goals, keep clean sheet and break that record. For all our pounding of a poor St J side, we only opened them up after 70min, when MD drifted out to the left wing, having been kept quiet for most of the game.

Sinclair seems to be struggling a bit with form, hopefully the international break will help him refocus.

On a positive note, SA seems to be back to his best form. JF, although had a quiet game compared to his mid week performance, is starting to find consistency after all those years.

So a quiet few days but I guess a worrying time with so many players away on Int duty. From a selfish perspective, was disappointed to see Brown still involved but I guess the guy just wants to do his bit for his country, so good luck to him. Would just be such a pity if any of our international stars were to get hurt playing mickey mouse international games.

Griff is not involved, seems a recurrence of old calf problem, lets hope the 2 week break will see him recovered. Dembele is rediscovering form at the right time, Roberts should be recovered for our next game. Not sure on the progress of the 3 injured defenders but should be back for what will be a busy December, think its 9 games that month. December should see us put some daylight between ourselves and chasers in the league.  From our position, reckon the PSG game will be a dead rubber, should just play a weakened team in my book, throw in some fringe players.

Hopefully, BR has some targets for transfer window. For me, we do seem well stocked with midfielders and we will have a developed talent in Christie returning from ABZ in the summer, may be a replacement for Armstrong. I do like the look of McGinn at Hibs, perhaps a long term replacement for Brown????

A quality versatile defender who can play out from the back but they are hard to find. Much as I like Boyata as a defender, he cannot see a pass and the opposition never bother to close him down. We are also lacking on the left, great with SS & KT but they will need resting/injuries. Is Hayes an option, not for me. Saying that, we do have a few kids, Johnstone and Miller, so that may be an option. 

Proud moment for our player last night, as young Kieran Tierney captained his country in a full international. Just another milestone in a remarkable career.

We also had Celtic players Craig Gordon, James Forrest, Callum  McGregor and Ryan Christe on display.

MOM was McGinn of Hibs, surely BR must be having a think about him.

Yes, and showed leadership qualities before a ball was kicked.

Also well done to 2 of our lads with the French U21's, a goal a few days for Oliver and a treble for MD yesterday, onward and upward lads.

Next up away trip to Ross County. Should be a lot of confidence in our dressing room.

Not sure on injuries update, PR should be back but waiting on our 3 injured defenders and LG???

Griff dug us out with a superb free kick, up to that, their keeper did not have a save to make, we floated a load of corners into him, apart from that, he had jack shit to do. After the goal, they had to come out a bit, which suited us and we did create a few chances in the last 10 min.

Tierney was our best player, boys at the back coped well but our big guns failed to operate, Forrest, SS and Demble were so quiet.

Still, 3 points in the bag-thanks to a moment of magic from LG.

I am beginning to lean towards playing both LG & MD up front together against PL opposition,

Ironically all the chasing posse lost ground today so we are now 6 points ahead. Celtic very poor. . Exasperating to watch them trying to bulldoze their way through. County goalie might as well have read the paper until the last 10 minutes.

The corners were all dreadful and gave the keeper a succession of easy catches. We have to be better against packed defenses. We cannot always rely on a flash of magic from someone or other.

Now the start of a busy run, something like 12 games in the next 40 days, mostly with 2 rest days between games, starting with PSG away then followed by a triple header against Well. PSG is, for me, a dead rubber and if it were me, would send reserve team. Not going to happen, will be interesting to see what team BR fields, with cup final on Sunday, I would imagine all our top players would want to play. Squad depth will be seen fully over the next month.

As transfer window approaches, usual names being linked with us. A few interesting names, like Liverpool's full back Flanagan, who BR knows well from his days at the pool, think it was him who gave the boy his debut, seems to have lost his way a bit, can play both sides, talk of an initial loan period. The fact that Lustig and Gamboa will be at world cup may push through this one.

Another name is Moult of the Well, would be available on a free. For me, he has been best striker outside Celtic recently and would be ideal to play against the likes of Ross county last week, as we will have a lot of games in new year if, as expected, we make Europa league. As previously stated, we need a center half that can play out from the back, Moore of Reading being mentioned, with a healthy price tag too.

As expected well beaten in Paris and our defensive limitations ruthlessly exposed by the awesome fire power of the PSG forwards. Despite our 1st minute goal and some decent play we were never going to survive unscathed . It was depressing to see goals given away so easily in several cases. There was nothing we could do to stem the superb quality of other goals.

Thankfully Bayern got a late winner in Brussels so we are still well in control of 3rd place.

Now on to Sunday and the first trophy of the season up for grabs. 

• Like 1

Celtic captured the 1st trophy of the season and their 4th in a row with victory over Motherwell today. It was a hard slog for the Bhoys who were well below par up front. They were contained very comfortably in the opening half with the front players carrying little threat.  It was a disturbing thought at HT that if the Well scored we could have been in big trouble.

It was a huge relief when we went ahead early in the 2nd half with a superb goal from Forrest who found a gap and curled a beauty just inside the post. The game which had been tame burst into life. Gordon had to make a terrific block from Moult who had got the jump on a lethargic Boyata. Dembele missed a great chance when he had a free header.

Celtic got a second from a controversal penalty in the 60th minute.

Sinclair bursting into the area seemed to be slightly tugged at by Kipre and went down very easily. To add to Motherwell's frustration the defender was shown a red card. Whatever about the penalty the red card seemed very harsh. Defenders have got away in many cases with far more serious fouls. Dembele converted and that effectively was game over.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Kipre had been very fortunate early on when he had a stamp on Dembele without sanction . A clearly frustrated Dembele was booked shortly after for a studs up challenge. 

We now face a double header against the same opposition in the coming week.  With Sinclair and Dembele in particular well below par we badly need more fire power otherwise we are likely to drop points. Griff last week and Forrest today have got us out of jail. We cannot keep relying on an individual moment of magic welcome though they are. We need the team to step up. 

A relatively competitive game up to game changing moment with penalty. Dreadful tackle on MD could have done damage. Took an outstanding save from CG to preserve our 1 goal advantage, when Ref awarded a soft penalty. There was contact, but Ref totally screwed up with sending off. MD was lucky with what was a poor penalty. After that, game was over as a contest. Forrest deserved to get MOM.  Sinclairs loss of form is a concern and, for me, he needs to be left on the bench for a few games. The starting 11 are probably BR's preferred 11 at this moment.

I would like to see, in Scotland, us playing 3-5-2 and I cannot see the problem with starting both LG and MD up front, with KT and JF as wingbacks. This would change the dynamics. Not much rest, players will be hung over today, train proper Tuesday and game on Wednesday night.

Got out of jail with a late penalty to preserve unbeaten run. CelticTV had some tech issues, so ever got to see all the game. Surprisingly, fielded strong side but lost Roberts to hamstring-again. I would have expected some more changes, due to upcoming schedule.

Motherwell were typical robust, and we had some good chances before Lustig turned ball past Gordon for an undeserved lead. Celtic showed plenty of fight to get back into it, when the impressive McGregor got bundled over to give Sinclair the opportunity to silence home crowd.

Overall, not at our best, possible hangover from Sunday. Tierney and C.McG were our best players, Griff did not look sharp.

Just watched some highlights on You Tube. Most of the action around the Motherwell goal. Their keeper seems to had a terrific game. Excellent penalty by Sinclair. Apart from Motherwell the usual suspects are whinging about the penalty award.

I am steadily becoming a nervous wreck when games are not on tv and periodically looking up scoring updates. I suppose no chance the Bhoys could win comfortably on Saturday.

Terrific performance and about time we put this lot to the sword.

Eddie was outstanding with his hat trick, wee James again displayed his magic with 2 sweat finishes in 20min, having replaced Hayes, who did OK, without setting the heather on fire.

Overall it was a good team performance, with lots of changes. Was good to see Ajer play so well at the back, carrying the ball out from the back, hope he gets a run in the side.

What was Gordon thinking about for their goal, just waiting for the ball to bounce into his hands, he should have been coming out to take ball, Motherwell player and Celtic player. So needs to command his patch.

Sad to hear Roberts is out for 3 months, maybe Hayes has been bought some time.

Good to see several fringe players coming in and doing well. Very likely they will be playing quite a few games in December due to demanding run of fixtures. Too many games this season have been a struggle so nice to win comfortably. After Tuesday no more European football till February barring a catastrophe.

Gordon very poor on Well goal. He is a good shot stopper but his judgment at times is dreadful.

Paddy out for 3 months is a huge blow. Hopefully Forrest will continue his excellent run of form. Good to hear Ajer did well. Sounds like Hayes was decent.

On 12/3/2017 at 2:18 AM, hackjam said:

Was good to see Ajer play so well at the back,

I have been waiting for news about him , so finally he played a full game , does this mean he is closer to a regular starting line up ?  

In my book, yes. He is the only center half we have who can comfortably carry the ball out from center of defense and is not afraid to take people on, also has reasonably good distribution. A back 3  of Joso, Ajer and Boyata is, for me, our best option playing in SPL. With KT & JF as wing backs.

Then SB with either ON or  SA.

Then CM or TR.

Up front SS with any 3 of L, MD or Eddie.

Eddies display on Saturday has been like a new signing. Pretty sure he wont star tomorrow night but may well start o Sunday against Hibs.

Edited by hackjam
  • Thanks 1

Celtic qualified for the last 32 of the Europa League as expected. But it was a poor performance by Celtic especially in the first half. Anderlecht ran the game and we were grateful to get to HT at O-O thanks mainly to a good stop early on by Gordon. We were being outplayed in the middle of the park where Armstrong was anonymous.

Ntcham came on at HT for Armstrong and he made a big difference. With hindsight I would have brought on Griffiths early in the 2nd half for Dembele who was poor. I would have left on Sinclair while he was not great was capable of creating danger. Rogic did 

not do much when he came on. Ironically

the goal was conceded in the 2nd half. It

was unfortunate for Jozo who played well.

Ntcham forced Celtic forward much more but a combination of poor passing and bad decision making robbed us of any serious threat.

The overall feeling at the end was like drinking flat beer and displays like this in the Europa League would not give us a snowball's chance in hell of progressing further.

Edited by salty