Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

First half reminded me of the PSG, BM games-outplayed, unable to retain possession, and we were lucky to go in at HT level, mainly due to their poor finishing, sever chances they had, they hit straight at C. Gordon.

Made 2 changes at HT and we were a different team, Dembele was starting to get joy by drifting out to the left. Forrest was starting to get on the ball and Oliver was having an influence. Brown, as ever, was getting a grip, then they take the lead, against run of play.

Was so disappointed with Armstrong and McGregor. Boyata was good defending but again dreadful on the ball.

Its on this stage that players get found out.

Edwardo looked lively and strong when introduced.

But, at the end of the day, job done.

Another 2 points dropped after mid week European game. Poor first half and then we went 2 up, Sinclair double-he had been poor up to his first goal but that seemed to give him confidence. 2 up &  coasting, we let Hibs back into it with some poor defending, but were thankful for Lustig-who had a poor game-but popped up near the death after a fumble from Gordon, to preserve unbeaten run.

Far too often, we got in behind and had shots when a pull back would have resulted in a tap in.

And then on came J.Hayes. Surely, he would have been better starting and then Forrest coming on, like he did against Well.

Another depressing display with our defence collapsing like a house of cards once they came under pressure. We were lucky not to snatch defeat from a winning position.

Several of our players are way below last season's form. It is becoming a major concern. No doubt Brendan is well aware of this and we will be making a few signings in the transfer window. We need to stiffen up the defence.Surely big Ajer  is worth a punt for a few games and I would like to see Griffiths back for some game time. 

We also seem to have lost our ruthlessness in front of goal. Several good chances spurned today.All in all for the first time The future does not look as rosy as before.

The end of the unbeaten run as we were outplayed by Hearts. A stranger at Tynecastle would have assumed the home side were the team with the undefeated record. They out played and out fought Celtic. Always in our face they seemed to win every 50/50 ball. Celtic were dreadful and the only player I would absolve from criticism was Forrest.

Our defence was appalling and like last week crumbled under pressure.

2-0 down at HT we were in trouble and we seemed to resume for a few minutes in more menacing mood but then another catastrophic error put Hearts 3 Up. A stupid penalty concession was the icing on the cake for the home team.

A league defeat in itself is not a catastrophe but the manner is worrying. The recent cracks in the side were emphasised today and we badly need some reinforcements in the transfer window. Today will galvanise the chasing pack and we can expect sides to feel they can make life much more difficult in the future.

• Like 1

Very surprised when I saw the result. First loss to Hearts since 2011. And 4-0 , when did that happen in the league last time ? 

Ajer on the bench ?   Brendan really need to give him a chance soon. It can't get any worse.  

Will be interesting to see what sort of a reaction we get mid week.

The writing has been on the wall over the past month. We got out of jail a few times, rode our luck but had a total system collapse against a depleted Hearts.

Far too many of our players have not reached the heights of last season, and also, a few players have looked tired recently.

With the squad we have, that should not happen. We definitely need to strengthen at the back. With the exception of KT,  all others have struggled. Ajer looks  a decent player, cant understand why he does not get more game time.

Back in action and 3 points from the first of  4 games before the break.Aberdeen, Dundee and another Glasgow Derby to come. Wins over our closest challengers would widen the gap considerably.

Ajer again getting plenty of praise on social media from the faithful. Far from scintillating but both goals were top drawer.

Welcome to Marvin Commper who hopefully will be a big asset to our defence.

So another 3 points, such an important result after weekend performance. Not a vintage performance but got there in the end. Partick were very poor and should have been put to the sword. Both goals were well taken and came from left side. KT was outstanding again. Ajer played well and should keep his place. Armstrong took his goal well and the goal gave him confidence to drive forward.

On the transfer front, just been confirmed that Marvin C has signed, apparently a player who can play out from the back, so that's good news. One thing to remember, is he has not had any me time this season. We are crying out for full back cover for KT and Lustig needs a rest, good defender but offers little going forward. What's the score with Ralston?

• Like 1

A very important 3 points. Not really at it in the first half,  3 times I counted Boyata gifting opposition the ball. Lustig, with a slice of fortune, had us 1 up at the break.

Different side in second half. Just as Hayes was about to get hooked, he pops up with his first goal, after great work by Ajer.

Ollie put the game to bed with a third, all 3 goals had a touch of fortune but we deserved to win after a much better performance. With our 3 midfielders dominating, we started to open up Aberdeen, was pathetic to see McLean try to compete with Brown, talk about man against boy.

Just saw the goals on Facebook. We had more than a touch of good fortune. Aberdeen did not seem to pose much of a threat. Things look much more rosier than last Sunday.

At at this stage it would seem to be fair to say that Ajer is our best central defender and has moved ahead of both the regular pair. Re Ralston my understanding is he still has a knee problem. 

2 more wins would put us in good shape going into the break.

Yes, finally seems to have convinced manager, he is still a bit raw, lacks that upper body strength, but at only 19, should develop into a fine player. Has great ability on the ball, hopefully see a lot more of him.

Apart from his goal, Hayes was poor, had over half an hour mid week and over an hour yesterday, he runs around aimlessly when without the ball, just does not seem to fit into Celtics style. I am sure he was about to be hooked just as he scored yesterday and that would have been it, now he will get a few more chances.

Next up is Dundee on boxing day, then its Rangers in final game before well earned rest.

Another 3 points today at Dundee but I was exasperated several times by our failure to capitalise on chances. We seem at times to want to walk the ball into the net.

Ptactically no demands on our defence but Boyata worries me. Picked up a stupid booking in the middle of the park. Ajer much better I thought but they cannot expect an easy ride like this in most games.

Hayes unfortunate with injury. Will make it harder for him to make an impression. Young guy who came on shows promise. Just another Glasgow Derby before the break.

Totally dominated the game and should have been 4 or 5 nil, never got that third goal to totally kill the game. Yes, we did seem to want to walk the ball into net, especially when faced with too many bodies in front. That booking summed up Boyata. Right now, I would prefer to run with Joso and Ajer. Thats 3 clean sheets since Ajer came in.

Armstrong was all over the shop when he came on, looked pissed.

Again, Forrest was at his best, Nicham is starting to come onto a game, gaining in confidence and is starting to control the game, he excites me and is the perfect partner to Brown.

Griff took his goal so well, quality first touch and deadly finish. For me, he should start on 30th. Cant see any reason why we cant play 3 at the back and MD and Griff up front against the likes of Dundee. Lustig is a good defender, international class but offers little going forward, and to get the best out of Forrest, I feel we need an overlapping dynamic full back, just like Tierney on the left.

• Like 1

Dominated first half, presented Rangers with a few chances, mainly by gifting possession, Gordon bailed out Lustig with a good save. Up front, some wayward shooting and some less than convincing finishing by Sinclair saw us go in level at half time. Dembele seemed too laid back to me. Brown totally dominated first half.

Second half  another gift from Sinclair saw Gordon bail him out, who then produced a magical save from Colombian  to keep us in it as Rangers dominated the half, Ollie came on and immediately bring some composure. I don remember their keeper making a save in the second half. Ajer again impressed, Boyata played well too, Forrest had a chance in first half but was so poor otherwise. Happy to get away with a draw in the end.

The Rangers did'nt turn up to admire Celtic. They got stuck in from the start and were ready to scrap for everything. Lustig was almost giving me heart failure early on giving it away. Celtic have got far too fond of mindless passing at the back. Gradually we began to exert control and create some chances which we always managed to cock up. Sinclair was woeful and missed at least 2 excellent chances. When he produced his one piece of skill Dembele should have been in there for a tap in.

Foderingham made a terrific save from Forrest. It was frustrating to be 0-0 at HT. 

Continued: The 2nd half was a different story. For long periods we were just hanging on and very definitely playing 2 nd fiddle. The Rangers seemed to have a couple of extra men as they dominated the ball and had Celtic under severe pressure at times. Several of our players seemed to disappear. Gordon made 2 crucial saves and Morelos missed with a free header. We seemed to be second to every ball and were being hustled everywhere.  Ntcham for Sinclair lifted the siege to some extent but I would admit I was also content with a point at the end.

Compared to this time last season we are dropping points like confetti. We have played a similar amount of games but overall we are way below last season's form. Is it the cumilation of the short break at end of last season I wonder? Paddy Roberts is a huge loss. I find my irritation levels seem to be steadily increasing. Hopefully they will rest during the break to try and get some of the sparkle back. A few more bodies would also help.

• 2 weeks later...

Transfer window is upon us now, with lots of hot air, newspapers with lots of speculation etc.

Banked over 6 M from VVD to Liverpool and snapped up Morgan from St Mirren. A talented  player by all accounts, 2 footed and plays on the wing, so should be a good long term prospect..

Injury to Ralston must have been more serious than first reports, as he has been out for a long period. Shame, as he would have seen a lot of game time, especially as Lustig has looked jaded. Not sure what the latested update is but if it is long term, a full back would then become priority, preferably one that can play both flanks. God forbid if anything were to happen to KT, as we dont have cover and he will also need to be rested at some point, I am sure BR will never risk burn out for one of our best player.

Hayes unlucky with injury, as it is believed that Cardiff were lining him up with a 1M bid, would have suited all concerned.

Armstrong to Southampton for 10 M is another story but would be a good piece of business, as he does not seem committed and his form overall has not been great.

Joso to EPL would be a loss but seems that BR does not fancy him, I think he would be a better option that Boyata but he does seem injury prone.

Usual stories about Dembele, will see, must say that he has not kicked a ball for us this season.

Good to see Roberts back in training, not sure about Aussie Tom, both were sorely missed in the last few games, would have been great to be able to spring both from the bench.

Interesting to hear BR praise forgotten man Eboue, saying he can be SB long term successor. I like what little I have seen of him so far but BR also said he may be shipped out on loan. Surely he should be able to deputize for Brown in the second half of the season, with rest time/suspensions and maybe injuries???

I also see that kid we signed from Ipswich has been farmed out to Oldham. Not many takers for Ciftci, what a dud, might be better to just pay him out as I can never see him in a Celtic top again.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to competitive action, ran out comfortable 5 -0 winners against part timers Brechin City, fielding our strongest available 11. Game was like a training session, however, job done. Good to see Eboue get a run in the second half, hope to see more of him, as I like what little I have seen of him.  Oh and we scored from a corner too.

Next up PT in the SPL on Tuesday night.

Injuries seem to be mounting up, so I guess we are now seeing value of a large squad, would still like to see some quality added before window closes.

Griff missed out with injury, new center half is out for a month, Armstrong has had a hernia op, so a month also. Still no sign of a return for Ralston, Aussie Tom out long term and Roberts still recovering from hamstring problem.

A narrow win  in the Glasgow Derby against Partick Thistle at Firhill. Celtic came from behind after trailing 1-0 at HT. Celtic were dreadful in the 1st half. The same ponderous passing game was making life easy for the Thistle defence who had little to worry them. Celtic did not make any kind of a decent chance. The goal came when Lustig made a complete hash of a clearance and lost the ball. He then had a tug at the forward in the area and was penalised. He was booked and could well have been sent off. Gordon as usual just fell down and made things easy for Sammon from the spot. Not a reassuring scenario at the break.

The introduction of Griffiths for Lustig galvanised Celtic into life at last. Up to then Eduardo was making no impression as the main striker. He was easily hustled off the ball and had a few powder puff attempts at goal. Nitcham was as slow as a funeral and had a few wildly optimistic efforts . Forrest and Sinclair were making little impression. McGregor had very little room. To be fair the slow laborious build ups were not helping the front men. Thankfully Griff was making an instant impression. The build ups were far quicker and creating problems for Thistle. Sinclair won a penalty after good anticipation and stroked it home clinically. Griff got the winner showing superb close control to poke it home from a tight angle. We were seeing much more of Forrest at last and Celtic were close to clinching it.. Celtic saw it out fairly comfortably in the end.

IMO this poncing around at the back is not helping the side. We have to move the ball quickly to destabilise the opposition and help to create chances. It was extremely irritating watching the Bhoys in the 1st half.

Edited by salty

Very poor in the first half, some sloppy defending eventually bit in the ass, went in 1 down at HT.

Griff made an instant impact, our wing boys began to make inroads and eventually got a penalty to make it 1-1.

Then some tremendous graft by Brown won a ball in midfield, he continued his run to take return pass and set up Griff who finished clinically. Saw out the game with a good piece of game management. Lustig and Boyata were poor, Ajer was shaky first half but came onto a game in the second half, just love the way he carries ball out of defense. 

As with most games this season, a very unconvincing win. We seem to have lost our spark, players like Paddy and Aussie Tom sorely missed. The striker issues have not helped. so surprised to see Ed start ahead of both LG & MD. Me, I want to see both LG and MD play together. Saying that, looks like transfer speculation has unsettled MD.

Totally agree about moving the ball quicker. Too many times we have possession, and cannot  execute that killer pass, then he ball goes back the way and opposition now have their 11 men behind the ball again. Very rarely do we chance a ball over the top.

Next up Hibs, always seem to raise their game when playing Celtic, having watched Edinburgh derby at weekend, they are no great shakes.

Another unconvincing performance, still managed 3 points.

Went in 1 up at HT, thanks to neat finish by Griff, who departed shortly after with injury. Up to that, it had been a tale of missed sitters, with Griff and Sinclair both missing sitters and Gordon bailed out some slow defenders with a fine stop with his legs. He was replaced at H/T by DDeV, who impressed me with his kicking.

Second half reminded me of Rangers game, just could not get hold of the ball. McGegor, Forrest and Ollie were AWOL in second half, having had fine first halfs. Dembele looked not interested, the one time he did break the lines he strikes from difficult angle instead of rolling ball to Sinclair for a tap in. Was impressed with our defending, Boyata and Joso having fine games. MOM for me was Brown.

Injury list continues to grow, with addition of Griff and CG. Now the transfer shopping list reads:

Goalkeeper, full back, creative midfielder and a striker.

Another 3 points but it would seem that the usual cocktail this season of missed chances and narrow wins or draws instead of comfortable wins. The injury scenario is getting alarming. Griffiths is easily our best striker and his ongoing calf problems are very worryring. Gordon looks like he will be out for possibly the rest of the season. De Vries would not be as good a shot blocker but his distribution would be better and hopefully his judgement would not be as suspect. But if anything happens to him are we donald ducked. The return of the holy goalie on loan has been mooted. It is fair to say it has received a mixed reaction.

We still should enough in hand to retain the Championship but we could be vulnerable in a one off Cup game. The gossip at present is that Charly Musonda will sign on loan from Chelsea. He was on the bench today in their Cup match but was unused. 

Hendry from Dundee seems to be only a matter of finance. The next few days will tell a lot.