Glasgow Celtic

jietjon

Charly over the line-Charly and the Boys- apparently he's the full package, hard working, creative etc. should be a good signing. We have been so lacking creativity this season, especially from bench.

CG out for most of the season, and with both our keepers are wrong side of 30, so we should be looking long term options but with only a few days left on the window, a loan option seems best  for now.

Griff out for a month, Dembele should now kick on and knuckle down, clear his head and best for all if he has a good few months, as realistically he has devalued over this season.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charly over the line-Charly and the Boys- apparently he's the full package, hard working, creative etc. should be a good signing. We have been so lacking creativity this season, especially from bench.

CG out for most of the season, and with both our keepers are wrong side of 30, so we should be looking long term options but with only a few days left on the window, a loan option seems best  for now.

Griff out for a month, Dembele should now kick on and knuckle down, clear his head and best for all if he has a good few months, as realistically he has devalued over this season.

At last, a convincing win, with a fantastic first half performance. BR went with 2 up front and both Frenchmen looked sharp. Was, along with Aberdeen game, our best first half performance of the season. Second half, took foot off gas a little and Brown gifted Hearts a goal. Overall, the defence has looked solid in the last half dozen games, we do look more solid without Lustig. Was nice to see Charly debut, showed some neat touches, ideal senario to blood him at 3-0 up. His arrival should see some rest time for Forrest.

Next up away to Killie on Saturday, early kick off, hope he starts same 11 as tonight.

Said before, that Lafferty is a pure animal.

Excellent first half. Both Frenchmen scored but I still think they should be scoring more. Still think Dembele is well short of last years form. Of course the main item on the agenda was a half hour of Charly. Excellent back heel but should have shot himself when in a good position. With the defence looking more solid (touch wood) things looking more encouraging.

De Vries looked ok in goal but we await another signing with Bain of Dundee now appearing to be the favourite. 

Next up Kilmarnock and their crap pitch.

As for Lafferty he should get time off to go the Oscar Ceremony. 

A dreadful pitch, a dreadful game and a dreadful performance from Celtic. A few more games like this and we would all surely lose the will to live.

Apart from his save near the end from the Ntcham free kick McDonald could have read the paper for all the game. Celtic were terrible and cannot blame all their shortcoming on the shocker of a pitch. Boyata and Ajer both off injured to add to the gloomy scenario. 

Bitton ball all watching for the winner and Tierney not blameless either Killie with pitch knowledge deserved their win. They closed down a ponderous Celtic with ease and some strategic fouling.

So next up Partick in the cup. Looks like Joso will return, seems he was just rested for the game on the lego pitch. Other good news is that Ralston completed 90min a few nights ago for an underage team. Armstrong and Paddy are nearing returns and may make return leg against Zenit. . Ajer is looking like it wont be long term, just a knock.

Lustig is recovering from long running ankle issue, which would explain his drastic loss in form. Boyata out, Ajer struggling and Jack is cup tied, so looks like it will be Gamboa or Ralston, Joso, Bitton and KT at the back. Not really that a big deal against Partick but would be  nervy against the Russians.

Aussie Tom and Griff, along with keeper, are out long term. I wonder if some of these injuries are a result of players playing too many games and very little end of season rest. Looks like no let up this end of season, with Scotland involved in some dumb <deleted> friendlies at the other side of the world, world cup involvement for the like of Lustig and Aussie Tom.

Started well, with a brace from Forrest, great opportunistic and great individual goals, put us well in control. Then disaster strikes, Joso gifts them a lifeline and then we die a death for the remainder of the first half.

Then a great team goal put us back in control, a great ball by Brown to Sinclair should have seens us 4-1 up but Sinclair misses another sitter. Then another howler by Joso as he gifts ball again and is not strong enough against Sammon. So now we a hanging on and in the 3rd min of injury time, a ball across the face of goal is not dealt with and thankfully Tierney was on hand with a game saving tackle to see us through to next round.

Its the same old reliable s that a bailing us out time and again this season-Brown, Forrest, Tierney, Ajer.

Sinclair is getting into good positions but missing sitters and not as dynamic as last year.

In Demble's defense, it is no good giving him the ball with his back to goal, he needs ball in front of him, like for first goal. Too many times, especially when the ball is out on the left wing, you can see him pointing where he wants the ball but time and again ball just goes side/back the way. Chary was ineffective, good to see Aussie Tom on the bench.

Both their goals were pathetic. Even the chance in injury time, CMcG should have won that ball out on the touchline, center half should have delt with it-like Kille goal last week. We are so loose at the back. We need to build a defense around Ajer. I am really worried about the Russians, if they watched our last few games, they will be licking their lips.

First a confession. I only saw 2nd half.  Not impressed. Jozo gave away 1st goal and a journeyman like Sammon left him for dead for 2 nd. Sinclair missed a sitter and we were hanging on at the end.

At this stage I would not give us a prayer against Zenit but can we limp along in the Cup. With McCrae "arranging" the draw as usual I would expect difficulties. 

We can only hope Paddy and Griff return in next few weeks and some of the passengers start getting the finger out. Concerning times.

Solid first half performance, created plenty of chances but failed to score, just never seemed to get breal of ball in their box. Our keeper did bail us out once in the first half. Demble, Ollie and C. McG good first half, Forrest seemed to get clobbered every time he got on the ball.

Continued where we left off in the second half, midfield totally dominating. Manager made the change, paid off when Charly brilliantly set up C.McG for the well taken composed winner. Demble was impressive and was replaced by the lively/clever Edouard. Defense held firm throughout, but it was the midfield that excelled, particularly Ollie, who was outstanding. Once again, pathetic from corners/ set pieces.

We were very composed and now are in a strong position for next week, clean sheet, goal in the bag, and I fancy us to score next week. Zenit were ring rusty and its hard to see a week making much of a difference, so we should be confident going to Russia.

Hopefully this will kick start our season, as we have been so off the pace this season, so nights like that should be springboard.

A much improved display from Celtic and  a rusty? Zenit means we now have a reasonable chance of winning the tie. Keys to this were of course the clean sheet and the midfield control which took a lot of pressure off our defence. The only time I got really nervous was the few minutes after the goal when we gave away a few silly frees but then took control again.

McGregor again in Europe did the business superb control and finish after great work by Charley. Anything zero is good so if we could score over there it would really put Zenit on shallow ice. I would be hopeful rather than confident and anticipate a nervy evening.

Olly was good but his set pieces were dreadful. He also picked up a mindless booking as did Kouassia and Dembele. This could hurt us if hopefully we progress.

I understand from the Celtic News Now that this win will make us one of the seeded teams for the Qualifying rounds next season.

That's interesting about seeding for next season.

I don't understand why, for so long, we have been crap at set pieces. Surely its an easy fix on the training ground. In the past, center half's like VVD and Jason Denyar would chip in with a dozen goals a season from headers at corners.

Lots of positives to take from last nights game, performances of half the team what are very young players-Demble, Ollie, KT, Eboue, Ajer, Charly and Edouard-all 20 or less. To perform like they did, on such a big stage, holds well for future.

Thanks, was a great performance against Zenith.

Ajer is doing very well right now, a regular and I would reckon he is first choice center half right now, and should hold his place once all our center half's return to fitness. Sometimes, its hard to believe he is only 19, as he shows great maturity.

I am predicting a big future for him.

Not be long before he is capped by Norway.

Think most important issue with Saints game is to rest certain players.

We are in a good position to progress in Europe, exceed expectations, but will need to be firing on all cylinders on Thursday evening.

With this in mind,  home game against a Saints side that are on a poor run, not having won in last 6 games, our nearest rivals dropping points against Neil's lot yesterday, should be an ideal opportunity to rest the like of KT, Demble etc., rested. Captain Brown is suspended, good news as it gets his suspension out of the road and gives him a well earned rest. Should see the likes of SS and Charly start and hopefully game time for Aussi Tom at some stage. All in all, we should still have enough about us to see of Saints.

The latest on the rankings for next season. Not quite as cut and dried as suggested a few days ago but very encouraging nonetheless.

https://www.celticnewsnow.com/news/how-celtics-win-over-zenit-could-impact-champions-league-qualifying/218257/

I also would expect some changes today and would hope that some of the others will be very keen to impress Brendan.

BR made a lot of changes. Great honor/proud moment for CMcG and his family, to lead out Celtic, a total Celtic man. Good to see Aussi Tom back and Ralston in the subs.

Started well, Ajer had a great chance but headed straight at keeper. Then Saints took control and we were out fought, glad to get to H/T level.

Second half we regained control without creating too much chances. Some really cynical fouling by Saints prevented us getting into ant rhythm. A draw sees us extend lead to 9.

Of the newbies, Gamboa had a decent game. Badly missed Brown and Ollie.

Irritating game watching Celtic again with the slow ponderous build up. Gave the opposition few moments of concern and they were not fussy how they stopped Celtic. Frees 23|11. Ajer solid again, De Vries a shank but got away with it , Hendry muscled out of it very easily on one occasion. 

Front men not being helped by facing a couple of defenders when they got possession. Musonda a few flashes and a few decent efforts but prone to overplaying it. Edouard touch continues to be poor and he is muscled out of it easily.  Forrest did little when he came on and Sinclair continues to disappoint though he did create some danger. 

In the few minutes he was on a superb pass by Tierney put Sinclair away but Dembele unable to get a touch. Last season you feel he would have scored.

This season it is becoming a lottery in each game as to which Celtic will turn up.

Never laid a glove on Zenith in first half. Their keeper never made a save. We gifted them 2 goals, Joso lost his man at a corner after 7 min and DDV conceded a very soft goal from distance. It was like we were not tuned in like they were in the first leg.

Second half we started well enough but then the killer goal, Lustig switching off at the back post., he should have attacked the ball. After that Zenith were happy to sit back and let us have the ball. It was 67th min before we forced a save from their keeper. We offered nothing in attack.

Hard to believe the difference in performance from last week. We never turned up. Zenith are no great shakes but when we defend like that, at this level, its curtains.   

Not really a surprise that our European odessy is over. This was the latest of many poor performances this season. Defensely brittle and toothless in attack this was always on the cards. Zenit took advantage of Celtic bearing gifts.

Behind to 2 preventable goals at HT we still were not out of it and if I was a Zenit supporter I would have been worried that an away goal could put us out. But once Lustig went to sleep it was all over.

Brendan is shipping a lot of criticism again. We certainly need to get motoring and not be offering the posse more encouragement. Sunday could be a difficult game. 

The thing that disappointed me was the total lack of control of simple passes, throughout the whole team, even when playing across the back,  which seemed to be for most of the game.  It was no surprise to see Kouassi taken off at half time, he was lucky to stay on the field that long, he was awful.

Next up Aberdeen away. Normally, I would never worry about playing Aberdeen, as their bottle seems to collapse anytime the see a Glasgow post code. But, if I was an Aberdeen fan, would got to think its now or never for this Dons team to get a result against Celtic-2 days rest since a severe doing from the Ivan, low in confidence, not going well domestically, keeper dodgy, defense dodgy, home tie, a week since last game, etc.

The 2 players that seem to be copping it most are Lustig and DDV. I would like to see both dropped and long term, both shipped out. Lustig has been great servant but time has caught up on him, too much mileage. Never dynamic enough for us. I would like to see Jack H given a shot in that position, apparently he started his career as a right winger. The DDV situation is remarkable, BR handed him a new contract last year, he is totally not even back up keeper standard, why give him a contract extension? Surely a long term replacement for an ageing CG should now become priority.

As for reflection on Euro adventure, to qualify for CL and then to progress to Europa league is probably as good as we can hope for, given financial restraints. However, what is not acceptable, is some of the performances-Away to ZSP, home to Anderlecht, and taking a hell of a tanking from the big guns. Bottom line, if you don't have solid keeper and defenders who know the art o defending, you are always going to be there for the taking.

A hugely relieving victory after many anxious moments. Very uncertain in defence with Lustig and Simonovic very shaky. Plenty of possession but initially achieving little.  Eventually we started to turn the screw but wasted several good chances. Dembele dreadful touch Rogic  straight at the keeper, Brown unable to keep it down and Ntcham a rocket against the post. Great piece of play by Forrest put it on a plate for Dembele to give us a narrow half time lead.

We lived on our nerves for most of the 2nd half as Aberdeen began to win the ball regularly and push forward. Simonovic was giving away free kicks with alarming regularity. He and Ajer cannoned into one another leaving the latter temporarily out for the count. Surely Madden should have stopped play. Fortunately Ayer was able to continue. De Vries made a great block after Simonovic was left for dead and we survived a goalmouth scramble. Then Lustig who had again been caught ball watching early on picked up a stupid booking compounded his error by being sent off with 15 minutes to go. I felt that if Aberdeen equalised they could well go on to win. It was of huge relief when we broke out of defence Dembele had plenty of space raced forward and picked out Tierney who had made a terrific run. He controlled and finished superbly to give us  a comfortable 2 goal cushion. Shortly after an Aberdeen sub was sent off for a nasty foul on Brown.

So all well in the end but not good for the nerves. The reassuring feeling of last season has long since evaporated.

Yes, relief indeed. Again we were below par against a very poor Aberdeen side, I recall their keeper making only one stop, when Tom hit ball straight at him. What's alarming this season is the lack of work we are making for opposition keepers.

We seemed to line up 3 a the back, KT and JF as wing backs, with SS and MD up front. Sinclair was again poor. Aberdeen never laid a glove on us in first half but was nervy every time they got a set piece, especially with our keeper not dominating his box.

Second half, Aberdeen started to expose our defensive short comings, targeting Joso who was all at sea, getting outmuscled. Another dreadful performance by Lustig, saw him have early bath, but a great breakaway run b MD and cracking finish by KT put the game to bed. Still time for a horror tackle on Brown followed by a cowardly act from Logan but Browns reaction, jumping to his feet and celebrating like he had just scored a goal, what a leader. Piss poor by Madden not stopping play when Joso took out Ajer.

Typical first half, no cutting edge, lots of sideway passing, no penetration, their keeper made his first save after almost 40 min, Forrest was trying on right wing, Sinclair totally ineffective on left. I feel with KT as a left wing back, playing SS does not give team the right balance.

SS hooked at HT and saw an immediate improvement, with a few early chances but had to wait till the hour mark to make break through, with a fine header from MD, and he followed up by converting a penalty that should have been a free kick, got the rub of the green on that one. Eddie rounded off the scoring at the death.

Big Marvin looked solid at the back, need to remember that he has not played much football in the past 10 months.

A few big calls for next week, I would start with Eddie instead of SS and C.McG instead of Aussie Tom. I would run with the same 3 at the back also.

Yes it was annoying as usual watching them in the first half. Passing for passing sake with no end product.

Better in 2nd half. Lovely chip by Tom and good finish by Dembele. Far better with head than feet so should be looking for more accurate centres. After the present of the 2nd we were home and hosed.

I expect more nervous moments next week in the Glasgow Derby.

The gap seems to have got smaller mainly due to our drop in form. Hopefully Brendan can keep his 100per cent record at Ibrox but a draw would not be a disaster. 

Archived