Doing Things The Thai Way!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dressing up to go shopping at Big C, when in fact in any other country we would call it dressing down! 'cause seeing all those girls in very tight short shorts and little T shirts, keeps the temp hotter than the weather! ( Oh! I love Thailand!)

not wearing bike helmets when its law to do so.

smoking in bars and restaurants when its now law not to.

Turning into one way streets( top end of soi green mango comes to mind)

Riding motor bike against the flow of traffic for convenience sake.

These are just a few that comes to mind,can you list some more.Personally i love this quirkyness,does n't bother me at all but i could see it might anoy others.

How good is the new ghost road?I know not part of topic but i went down there the other night quick fast(without helmet!)far cry from a year ago when it looked like a WW1 battle field.

it is THEIR country. What? are they supposed to do all things like they in your country? :D

as i said in the post i was n't complaining..............i do all of the things i mentioned too"when in rome do as the romans do"

I didn't interpret your post as a complaint either. The Thais have the right to do it 'their way' - this is Thailand. I actually think it can become an interesting and amusing thread (although some people may take the opportinity to 'have a dig', or be overly defensive - as above.

"overly defensive"? :o

These are just a few that comes to mind,can you list some more.Personally i love this quirkyness,does n't bother me at all but i could see it might anoy others.

How good is the new ghost road?I know not part of topic but i went down there the other night quick fast(without helmet!)far cry from a year ago when it looked like a WW1 battle field.

it is THEIR country. What? are they supposed to do all things like they in your country? :D

as i said in the post i was n't complaining..............i do all of the things i mentioned too"when in rome do as the romans do"

I didn't interpret your post as a complaint either. The Thais have the right to do it 'their way' - this is Thailand. I actually think it can become an interesting and amusing thread (although some people may take the opportinity to 'have a dig', or be overly defensive - as above.

OK - "defensive" :D

addicted to chili, even on Wiener Schnitzel a must have - in Europe always with a chili shaker in the inner bag of my jacket

instead saying yes, just a quick eyebrow raise, even in Europe or in the dark

arching the back and smiling when walking through sitting people

dreaming in thai language

Waiting in front of an atm whilst the Thai person in front of you needs to check 10 different atm cards and doesn't take any money out of any of them cards since none of them have any money in the account.

yes i love samui for its laid back attiude. bit expensive bit crazy but u can't beat this island buzz. none gives a BLEEP :o

Pointing with their lips.

Ha ha, that one really made me laugh.

I like this thread, but it's a shame some people just want to point out the same old negative things that you hear over and over again. What about the quirky cultural differences rather than the yawnsome bad driving/slightly stupid/dirty charecterisations that get brought up in so many threads....

One thing that I have found very hard to get my head round is "mmm-mmm" meaning yes! Had a lot of misunderstandings until I realised it has completely the opposite meaning to our mm-mm.

A personal favourite - wearing pajamas to 7-11, Tesco, any restaurant etc etc.

And one that I find really nice is the respectful dipping of the head when passing old people - I wish we had a similar respect for our elders in the UK.

it is THEIR country. What? are they supposed to do all things like they in your country? :o

Thats tgill doesn't make it right..

Isn't that why Countries such as Thailand & everywhere else around the Globe, actually have Laws ??

it is THEIR country. What? are they supposed to do all things like they in your country? :o

Thats tgill doesn't make it right..

Isn't that why Countries such as Thailand & everywhere else around the Globe, actually have Laws ??

there are laws in thailand...........but no one seems to keep them until money is needed.

Well, regardless of their quirky ways I love them and love Samui. All these things listed is what gives them their character and yes, some are bad but most are good.

I read a book about an American woman who lived here as a missionary at the turn of the century (last century) and her description of Thais is quit a bit different that what I see today. Back then, before the farang invasion, they invited her in, no matter where she went in the country, with open arms. They would give her the shirt off their backs if she needed it. They really treated her and the other farangs with her with great courtesy. She never once mentioned scams, or backstabbing or stealing and she lived here for about 30 years (maybe longer, I'd have to double check).

They just reprinted this book in Thai language. It is a fascinating read. If anyone would like the title, (I've loaned the book out), please PM me. It will give you a new appreciation for the Thais and their culture, and you will be able to see the effects (negative and good) that farangs have brought to this country.

Oh...I get it...this is the Thai bashing thread!...no problem with that, but I do find that tiresome, not "defensive" at all...just find you all pathetic...if you don't like, try to change, if you cannot, get out...I did with my country. But to spend your time whinning about...really "bitching" about...what you don't like here?....that's rather lady (or lady-boy) like, no? So please, bitches, man up and get on with it. :D

Now the big points:

- Borrow money and never pay back

- Say "no hap" in a shop because too lazy to walk 5 m to the shelf.

- Burning plastic infront of the house because too lazy to walk to the garbage bin

- Make a baby and run away

- Make an accident and run away

- Dont know nothing about the world around

- No idea how to educate the own children

- Voting for Taksin/Samak for a bottle of Rice whisky

Who cares? I love this country.

But bashing is fun!

Now the big points:

- Borrow money and never pay back

- Say "no hap" in a shop because too lazy to walk 5 m to the shelf.

- Burning plastic infront of the house because too lazy to walk to the garbage bin

- Make a baby and run away

- Make an accident and run away

- Dont know nothing about the world around

- No idea how to educate the own children

- Voting for Taksin/Samak for a bottle of Rice whisky

Who cares? I love this country.

But bashing is fun!

...isn't this threat about: Doing Things The Thai Way!, list some of your own examples ?

Well, regardless of their quirky ways I love them and love Samui. All these things listed is what gives them their character and yes, some are bad but most are good.

I read a book about an American woman who lived here as a missionary at the turn of the century (last century) and her description of Thais is quit a bit different that what I see today. Back then, before the farang invasion, they invited her in, no matter where she went in the country, with open arms. They would give her the shirt off their backs if she needed it. They really treated her and the other farangs with her with great courtesy. She never once mentioned scams, or backstabbing or stealing and she lived here for about 30 years (maybe longer, I'd have to double check).

They just reprinted this book in Thai language. It is a fascinating read. If anyone would like the title, (I've loaned the book out), please PM me. It will give you a new appreciation for the Thais and their culture, and you will be able to see the effects (negative and good) that farangs have brought to this country.

its written by a missionary...and " they" is far too general

they believe in God, and all that crap, so how on earth are you expected to get an accurate picture from people like this?

Would you trust someone who says virgins give birth,men in big boats, walking on water.. etc

but it is true, most thais, most asians are very warm

You would,nt be able to see anything of the impact of farang from a book like this- although it may make nice reading from well meaning person

Oh...I get it...this is the Thai bashing thread!...no problem with that, but I do find that tiresome, not "defensive" at all...just find you all pathetic...if you don't like, try to change, if you cannot, get out...I did with my country. But to spend your time whinning about...really "bitching" about...what you don't like here?....that's rather lady (or lady-boy) like, no? So please, bitches, man up and get on with it. :D

not thai bashing at all,i think we all agree we love thailand and samui in particular,just a bit of fun,would n't change anything...........lighten up!

they believe in God, and all that crap, so how on earth are you expected to get an accurate picture from people like this?

Would you trust someone who says virgins give birth,men in big boats, walking on water.. etc

Having faith in any religion doesn't affect one's powers of observation or make them less trustworthy. On the flip side, I wouldn't trust athiests because they get so worked up over something they don't even believe exists. Morons. I'm agnostic and couldn't care less if someone believes "virgins give birth,men in big boats, walking on water.. etc". If having faith makes them happier or gives them some kind of inner peace what's the problem? However I do believe they should practice what they preach or <deleted>.

As this is a "Thai bashing" thread, let me add that I get a kick out of their fear of the sun and getting darker skin. Whites around the world spend billions each year to get the natural tan that many Thais have. I get food delivered from a nearby restaurant and seeing her walk up to my bungalow under an umbrella on a beautiful day brings a smile to my face. :o

I have noticed they have a serious lack of geography knowledge. I have a large world map on my wall and I've brought girls over and asked them to show me where Thailand is. About 50% can and it takes some of them a little bit to find the word Thailand (the map is written in Thai and English) before pointing to it. Asking to point out South America, France or almost anywhere else and they just don't know. It's not their fault, it the Thai education's fault!

I once showed a girl one of the local maps of Samui, she looked at it for a while and then said, "Where's Bangkok?" The girl was new here and from Issan so I guess we have to give her a small break on that one. But still.....

I have noticed they have a serious lack of geography knowledge. I have a large world map on my wall and I've brought girls over and asked them to show me where Thailand is. About 50% can and it takes some of them a little bit to find the word Thailand (the map is written in Thai and English) before pointing to it. Asking to point out South America, France or almost anywhere else and they just don't know. It's not their fault, it the Thai education's fault!

I once showed a girl one of the local maps of Samui, she looked at it for a while and then said, "Where's Bangkok?" The girl was new here and from Issan so I guess we have to give her a small break on that one. But still.....

Maybe its because the map uses the Europe/US perspective of the world.

Europe and US is much bigger on these maps.

Compare to correct map of areal.

Having faith in any religion doesn't affect one's powers of observation or make them less trustworthy. On the flip side, I wouldn't trust athiests because they get so worked up over something they don't even believe exists. Morons. I'm agnostic and couldn't care less if someone believes "virgins give birth,men in big boats, walking on water.. etc". If having faith makes them happier or gives them some kind of inner peace what's the problem? However I do believe they should practice what they preach or <deleted>.

As this is a "Thai bashing" thread, let me add that I get a kick out of their fear of the sun and getting darker skin. Whites around the world spend billions each year to get the natural tan that many Thais have. I get food delivered from a nearby restaurant and seeing her walk up to my bungalow under an umbrella on a beautiful day brings a smile to my face. :o

koheesti,this thread was not set out to be a thai bashing thread,just an idea to list some of the quirky things they do(from a western perspective)........no no no not thai bashing at all.As for maps i dont think thais have been taught at school how to read them thats all.

koheesti,this thread was not set out to be a thai bashing thread,just an idea to list some of the quirky things they do(from a western perspective)........no no no not thai bashing at all.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I should have used a :o in addition to putting thai bashing inside " ". I don't see anything bashing in pointing out behaviour that seems quirky to those of us from other cultures.

I would be really interested to see a list of what Thais find quirky about us. Do you think it would include something like - buying a house and putting it in the name of a prostitute that you've only known for 4 weeks but you KNOW it's true love?

koheesti,this thread was not set out to be a thai bashing thread,just an idea to list some of the quirky things they do(from a western perspective)........no no no not thai bashing at all.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I should have used a :o in addition to putting thai bashing inside " ". I don't see anything bashing in pointing out behaviour that seems quirky to those of us from other cultures.

I would be really interested to see a list of what Thais find quirky about us. Do you think it would include something like - buying a house and putting it in the name of a prostitute that you've only known for 4 weeks but you KNOW it's true love?

yes good idea,start new thread(we can take the p-ss out of ourselves.Here's another close to your own.falang on holiday in thailand,meets thai lady,falls in love,goes home,one day later gets sms"am not well have to go to hospital"have no money can you send me 10,000baht........."i love you honey long time"