Doing Things The Thai Way!

I have a large world map on my wall and I've brought girls over and asked them to show me where Thailand is.

About 50% can and it takes some of them a little bit to find the word Thailand (the map is written in Thai and English) before pointing to it. Asking to point out South America, France or almost anywhere else and they just don't know. It's not their fault, it the Thai education's fault.

Hi

As you appear to ask the same question of each of these ladies you obviously enjoy be-littling them for ther lack of education, it must give you quit a thrill other wise you wouldt bother repeating the exercise with each female visitor you bring to your home.

Most guys dont give a toss if the girl they have brought home doesnt know her way around the world, they are quite happy that she knows her way around the bedroom.

Why would it be important for a lady from a poor family who's main priority in life is supporting herself and her family need to know where all the countries of the world are located on a map?

The likelyhood of them ever getting a visa to visit these places is almost nil, so why do they need that information?

If some of these ladies asked you what was involved in growing rice and other food its quite likely you and most other farangs wouldnt have a clue ( myself included), why would we need to know this?

It s a fair bet that if you asked ladies visiting your home in your own country the same question they very likely would not know where Thailand and many other countries were on the map either, but unlike the thai ladies who would allow you to get away with taking the piss out of them western ladies would have no hesitation in telling you where to get off.

I bet you were as popular as a fart in a space suit back home. :o:D

roy gsd

Edited by roygsd

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most guys dont give a toss if the girl they have brought home doesnt know her way around the world....

Why would it be important for a lady from a poor family who's main priority in life is supporting herself and her family need to know where all the countries of the world are located on a map?

roy gsd

In the last 3 years I have probably learned more (things of importance)from my g/f than she has from me. More importantly, she has taken as much enjoyment from teaching me about Thailand as I have learning about the place and it's culture.

For my part I am trying to teach her to (a) Plan ahead and (:o work to a budget :D and I will worry about how we find Bangkok.

I have a large world map on my wall and I've brought girls over and asked them to show me where Thailand is.

About 50% can and it takes some of them a little bit to find the word Thailand (the map is written in Thai and English) before pointing to it. Asking to point out South America, France or almost anywhere else and they just don't know. It's not their fault, it the Thai education's fault.

Hi

As you appear to ask the same question of each of these ladies you obviously enjoy be-littling them for ther lack of education, it must give you quit a thrill other wise you wouldt bother repeating the exercise with each female visitor you bring to your home.

Most guys dont give a toss if the girl they have brought home doesnt know her way around the world, they are quite happy that she knows her way around the bedroom.

The likelyhood of them ever getting a visa to visit these places is almost nil, so why do they need that information?

If some of these ladies asked you what was involved in growing rice and other food its quite likely you and most other farangs wouldnt have a clue ( myself included), why would we need to know this?

It s a fair bet that if you asked ladies visiting your home in your own country the same question they very likely would not know where Thailand and many other countries were on the map either, but unlike the thai ladies who would allow you to get away with taking the piss out of them western ladies would have no hesitation in telling you where to get off.

I bet you were as popular as a fart in a space suit back home. :o:D

roy gsd

:D:D

:D

I have noticed they have a serious lack of geography knowledge. I have a large world map on my wall and I've brought girls over and asked them to show me where Thailand is. About 50% can and it takes some of them a little bit to find the word Thailand (the map is written in Thai and English) before pointing to it. Asking to point out South America, France or almost anywhere else and they just don't know. It's not their fault, it the Thai education's fault!

I once showed a girl one of the local maps of Samui, she looked at it for a while and then said, "Where's Bangkok?" The girl was new here and from Issan so I guess we have to give her a small break on that one. But still.....

Asking people to point out France on a worldmap you will have a big percentage that would´nt make it in the U.s either.

People that live abroad and people that travels, generally have more geographic knowledge. People that never leave their country could´nt care less. Dont know if i would classify this as typical Thai lack of education though.....

More on maps.

When I worked in Thailand I had to travel around to contractor's works to do inspections etc. Each first visit I'd ask them to fax (ha ha no internet, no e mail then) me a map. Without fail the map would :-

1. show all roads dead straight.

2. show all junctions simple 90 degree tees or crossroads.

3. have no scale nor proportion (10mm could be 50 metres or 50 kilometres).

4. have no indications of distance (not always true but quite a few times).

5. show banks or filling stations as notable landmarks (oh the beauty of the English pubs for directions).

6. very often be at least parially wrong.

Even some of the time I took a Thai engineer with me we'd end up asking directions.

For at least five of those years mobile phones weren't widely available.

But we always got there, usually late (very Thai :o ).