Crackdown On Drug Dealing Expats

george

Thailand drug agency poised to bust foreign gangs

Drug agency poised to bust foreign gangs

BANGKOK: -- The anti-drug agency and police are gearing up to dismantle foreign-organised crime syndicates which have been controlling the trade in illicit drugs at some of Thailand's famous tourist destinations for years. Krissana Pol-anand, the secretary-general of the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB), said ONCB officials and drug suppression police were very concerned about the drug trade run by foreign businessmen in Phuket, Koh Samui and Pattaya.

''The drug trade run by foreign businessmen has been increasing in these areas. We're collecting evidence in order to bring these people to justice as soon as possible,'' said Pol Lt-Gen Krissana.

The ONCB yesterday held a press conference to announce its new drugs suppression policy.

Pol Lt-Gen Krissana had been transferred to an inactive post at Government House by the coup-appointed government of former prime minister Gen Surayud Chulanont. He was re-appointed as chief of the ONCB by the Samak administration a few months ago.

He said the ONCB and the police were combining forces to keep a close watch on foreign drug traders. He claimed the authorities already had a list of people involved in the illicit business.

He said foreign drug dealers, especially Africans, had run their businesses in the country's tourist destinations for years. Some opened a business office in town as a front to conceal their illegal activities from authorities, while others travelled back and forth between their countries and Thailand.

Pol Lt-Gen Krissana also expressed concern over the growing number of Thai women being deceived into marrying foreigners and being used by foreign drug dealers as couriers.

Many had been used as drug couriers, he said. Over the past two years, 82 Thai women had been arrested in China and Australia after carrying heroin from India and Pakistan via Thailand.

''I don't want Thai women to think that marrying foreigners will make their lives better because sometimes they are lured into the drug trade,'' he said.

He said the Interior Ministry had been asked to help in a campaign to educate women in rural areas about these foreign drug dealers' ploys.

He said he had instructed officials to step up suppression of the drugs trade in 22 border districts in nine provinces over the past two months. Officers had found information that large amounts of methamphetamines would flood into the country during this period.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-08-09

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

how do you define scum old chap?

Are people who sell alcohol to others in the same boat?

Is hilltribe farmer who knows know better way to feed his family, scum?

Are the legal fag dealers, the ones who target kids, scum?

Yours is the typical base reaction,

You simply cannot class everyone the same way. I might call people who makes simple spelling errors moron,s.

Uneducated, low class fools.

But they,ve probably suffered something in life to prevent them from getting it right.

By the way, you should of been ' hear, hear.

See, we all makes mistakes.

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

Knee jerk reaction.

So it appears that they will be warning Thai women about the dangers of marrying a foreign man as there is a possibility that she will be forced into becoming a drugs mule / dealer.

You realise who the 'foreigners' are don't you ?

My moral position on drugs is libertarian although I've never used drugs due to the potential legal repercussions.

My main issue with foreign drug dealers is what horrible people they are. I've seen them many times over the years in various tourist areas and they're flush with cash, show it off as much as they can and are arrogant and usually loud and boorish and unpleasant to be around (Presumably a side effect of their own merchandise). They know a few policemen and deem themselves untouchable and act as if they are. One thing I have noticed though is that they're not usually around for very long. The guy who was the King of Pattaya on the last visit has mysteriously disappeared on the next visit.

As to whether Thai or foreign drug dealers are worse, both are bad obviously, I doubt that getting rid of foreign dealers is going to make a huge difference to the availability of drugs to Thais. I seriously doubt that foreign dealers are corrupting innocent Thai womanhood to the same extent as the domestic variety. So the reason for this sudden police attack on foreign drug dealers. Anything against foreigners is popular at the moment and linking foreign with drug dealer and threatening to get rid of them is obviously popuar domestically regardless of the impact it has on actual rug use by Thais

The Fed Police in Australia just busted a Transnational gang that lost $440 million of Drugs , but it did not stop them operating for another year while the Feds got more hard evidence against them with wiretaps,etc.

How many legit businesses can walk away from a retail product loss of that size & stay profitable???

My point is , that while these outlandish profits are available there will be no shortage of Crime figures not willing to take a chance.

A Kg of Heroin is about $15k at the suppliers end but could be worth up to a mill at the street end & Ice etc are easy to produce.

I wish them the best in their efforts. :D

:o

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

Are people who sell alcohol to others in the same boat? NO

Is hilltribe farmer who knows know better way to feed his family, scum? IF HE'S HE'S COMMITTING A CRIME, THEN YES (if he is mentally impaired and actually doesn't know any better...then more iffy)

Are the legal fag dealers, the ones who target kids, scum? MOST DEFINATELY, AND ITS CERTAINLY NOT LEGAL TO SELL CIGARETTES TO MINORS

You simply cannot class everyone the same way. I might call people who makes simple spelling errors moron,s.

Uneducated, low class fools. NOT REALLY RELEVANT TO TOPIC

But they,ve probably suffered something in life to prevent them from getting it right.

i agree with terrytan....get rid of the scum....drug dealers, prostistution rings, pedophiles...these are are scum and need to be dealt with in the extreme

My moral position on drugs is libertarian although I've never used drugs due to the potential legal repercussions.

My main issue with foreign drug dealers is what horrible people they are. I've seen them many times over the years in various tourist areas and they're flush with cash, show it off as much as they can and are arrogant and usually loud and boorish and unpleasant to be around (Presumably a side effect of their own merchandise). They know a few policemen and deem themselves untouchable and act as if they are. One thing I have noticed though is that they're not usually around for very long. The guy who was the King of Pattaya on the last visit has mysteriously disappeared on the next visit.

As to whether Thai or foreign drug dealers are worse, both are bad obviously, I doubt that getting rid of foreign dealers is going to make a huge difference to the availability of drugs to Thais. I seriously doubt that foreign dealers are corrupting innocent Thai womanhood to the same extent as the domestic variety. So the reason for this sudden police attack on foreign drug dealers. Anything against foreigners is popular at the moment and linking foreign with drug dealer and threatening to get rid of them is obviously popuar domestically regardless of the impact it has on actual rug use by Thais

Some good points but I think you're wrong with the last part - decent quality opiates, hash etc., need to come from abroad, so you would need foreigners involved. I think it's just a matter of time before we saw this headline, and I don't think it's necessarily anti-foreign sentiment that is to blame. Thailand has not been a tourist mecca for centuries, it is a relatively new phenomenon, and I think it's just a growing pain to go through that foriegn gangs making easy money will eventually be broken (more sophisticated ones taking their place of course).

As for anti-foreign sentiment, the Thais have learnt that not all tourists are desirable, and it is so true. However the Thais respect and are grateful to nice people who bring a respectful attitude to their country along with their tourist or expat dollars. That's my experience.

As for the Thai mafia, there always will be one, won't there?.....most societies have a a dark side, don't they? What to do? Spread the luuurve...... :o

Of course, the farang are the fountain from which all wrong in Thailand springs.

Of course the farang makes life worse for Thai women.

Of course the farang.

Thai people are complete without any wrong.

The farang brought everything that is wrong into this country.

Really?

Or is it that too many Thai women see the merits of getting married to a farang?

Why should that be?

I have no idea!

However, at least 4 times a day I am asked by Thai women and girls, single and married, can I please find them a farang man?

Why should that be?

Maybe because they see that most foreigners married to Thai women in the provinces are trying to do their best, are loyal, take care of the woman, children and the family?

Poppycock!

Drug dealers, Thai or otherwise, should be dealt with due diligence, and in full compliance with the law.

However, pointing a finger at a group of people because of race, is unfair or maybe even a little stupid.

The same level of stupidity as the general feeling in Europe that all Thai women are prostitutes, stealing money from their farang husbands, and only into the marriage for the money.

It certainly happens, like farang drugdealers, but it is not general.

I am sorry to read those words from this police officer.

And even it should be the truth, it is very unhandy to tell the culprits beforehand that they will be targets.

This crackdown should come as a little surprise.

For the Thai and farang criminals.

Some good points but I think you're wrong with the last part - decent quality opiates, hash etc., need to come from abroad, so you would need foreigners involved. I think it's just a matter of time before we saw this headline, and I don't think it's necessarily anti-foreign sentiment that is to blame. Thailand has not been a tourist mecca for centuries, it is a relatively new phenomenon, and I think it's just a growing pain to go through that foriegn gangs making easy money will eventually be broken (more sophisticated ones taking their place of course).

As for anti-foreign sentiment, the Thais have learnt that not all tourists are desirable, and it is so true. However the Thais respect and are grateful to nice people who bring a respectful attitude to their country along with their tourist or expat dollars. That's my experience.

As for the Thai mafia, there always will be one, won't there?.....most societies have a a dark side, don't they? What to do? Spread the luuurve...... :o

Some good points adam.

Also a lot of readers may not be aware that many foriegn governments, whose countries are recipients of drugs shipped from or via thailand, put pressure onto the thai govt to stop it from the thai end. So why wouldn't the thai authorites announce that they are increasing measures to stop it. It is the same principle as if you requested something looked into from your local govt ...you would expect a response

Pol Lt-Gen Krissana ... said foreign drug dealers, especially Africans, had run their businesses in the country's tourist destinations for years. Some opened a business office in town as a front to conceal their illegal activities from authorities, while others travelled back and forth between their countries and Thailand.

Tourist destinations such as Pattaya? In Banglamung District, Chonburi Province, there are at only 3 dozen registered businesses that have African shareholders.

Or Phuket Town perhaps? No, Kathu District, Phuket Province has a dozen and a half.

Koh Samui District, Surat Thani Province. Two dozen. 

Koh Chang District, Trat Province? Two.

So perhaps the good Police Lieutenant General would explain in more detail why this is a threat of near-unprecedented scope, why it has escaped the attention of the authorities for so long, and why it shouldn't be dismissed as typical Thai anti-black scapegoating. 

Thailand drug agency poised to bust foreign gangs

Drug agency poised to bust foreign gangs

BANGKOK: -- The anti-drug agency and police are gearing up to dismantle foreign-organised crime syndicates which have been controlling the trade in illicit drugs at some of Thailand's famous tourist destinations for years.

Obviously they (the police) are only after the bad foreigners and NOT "gearing up to dismantle" home grown syndicates ... maybe for a fear that they would have to partially "dismantle" themselves as well :o

And how does the author of this STORY knows that foreigners have been "controlling" drug trade here for years? Did he/she used to buy drugs in big quantities from foreigners many times over the years? Or does this info come from the Police? In which case if the Police knew foreigners "controlling" drug trade for years why didn't they arrest them many times over??

But since stupidity always wins Stories like this stand a good chance to create great impression of good drug-bustling Police. Good Thais versus Bad Foreigners again as well. And hearing of these never-ending Crackdowns .. gives me a CRACK-UP

why tell everyone that they are going to crack down ,just do it ,wjll catch more ,the sooner they get rid of these dealers the better it will be for all .unfortunatly the ring leaders wont get touched and they will just recruit more patsys to distribute ,this is the same all over the world

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

Drugs are a scourge. Ever know someone who is strung out on meth??? Meth literally sucks the life out of people and does so very quickly. Ever know someone who became schizophrenic after a "bad trip"??? I have. Alcohol is not in the same category. Trying to equate is as such is a fool's errand. Singapore has it right. Get caught with drugs and you can expect a swift trip to the gallows. And yes, people who traffic in children should be treated the same as drug dealers.

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

In answer to your quote/questions.

1.Scum would be the drug dealers who induce other persons to grow, sell, traffic or use an illegal substance.

2. Alcohol is legal and those who sell it to minors are scum.

3. The hilltribe farmer did grow food for his family and others until scum came and made an offer of a lot of cash if he grew plants which could be turned into drugs.

4. Cigarettes are legal and yes the person selling them to minors is scum, I presume you mean cigarettes when you say fag, as the term fag commonly refers to homosexual?

5. I would not class anyone, as an uneducated low class fool if they makes spelling mistakes.

6. How is spelt with a capitol when starting a sentence. Moron's is not spelt with a comma.

The death penalty is still given in Thailand for drug dealers who sell, deal or are in posession of a certain ammount of an "A" Class drug. I am all for the death penalty, as there are enough warnings all over the country and the world for that matter, that state the death penalty will be enforced.

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

1.Scum would be the drug dealers who induce other persons to grow, sell, traffic or use an illegal substance.

3. The hilltribe farmer did grow food for his family and others until scum came and made an offer of a lot of cash if he grew plants which could be turned into drugs.

4. Cigarettes are legal and yes the person selling them to minors is scum, I presume you mean cigarettes when you say fag, as the term fag commonly refers to homosexual?

5. I would not class anyone, as an uneducated low class fool if they makes spelling mistakes.

6. How is spelt with a capitol when starting a sentence. Moron's is not spelt with a comma.

The death penalty is still given in Thailand for drug dealers who sell, deal or are in posession of a certain ammount of an "A" Class drug. I am all for the death penalty, as there are enough warnings all over the country and the world for that matter, that state the death penalty will be enforced.

Here here,

Get rid of the scum !!!

" How is spelt with a capitol when starting a sentence. "

:o:D

Lets put our skepticism and prejudices aside for one minute and applaud the fact that something is being done. It may not be a lot and it maybe to little to late for all the people addicted to drugs but it maybe the first steps toward a better future where other more positive initiatives are implemented.

The Thai government can't remain in the middle ages forever.

I agree completely with Ozemade. There is no comma in Morons.

On the other issues too actually.

Scum are those who are knowingly making a profit on the suffering of others.

They are Low and worthless people. The kind of people that few, if any others, are truly worried about if they get the death penalty. Perhaps family members might care a little bit but that is all.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scum

Drug dealers would appear to fit that definition rather snugly it would seem.

The huge bust in Australia was mentioned. The AFP spent a year or so on that case trying to get charges that would actually stick. That is why it took so long. How they kept it a secret is pretty amazing.

In Thailand they perhaps have decided that it would be very difficult to tie the so-called drug lords to the drugs so what do they do ? Well they take out a full front page in the local papers, all but naming the people they are after. Any smart criminal would suddenly get home-sick and fly out. Perhaps that was the reason for the publicity. Then the police only have to clean up the ones too silly to run.

Before we are too critical of the tactic let's see if it has an effect.

half this thread has been taken up by posters having a pissin contests on grammar.. oh dear!!

anyway.. I think this a great thing and I think the Police are actually pretty well spot on in their assessment, on mainly foreigners being involved in SOME of the drugs here.. Coke for instance is brought in by the Africans mainly and distributed mainly through Expats in most provinces.. Its no secret.

The rest I have no idea about, I assume much of the yaba and alike come from Burma and or China.. Heroin etc, I have no clue..

SAY NO TO DRUGS>> as an ex user, I now have a full and happy life!! I also have more money, motivation, direction and balance..

I hope by reading the plan from the police some of the dealers will get out of the biz before they lose their lives inside prison or worse.. It aint worth it guys!

Edited by webtv