jdfmail

So we were married in California USA

We both live in Thailand

We have been separated for 3 months

She lived with me in America for about 18 months

She came to America on a K-1 visa

She received her temp Green Card

She only lived in America for less than a month woth her Green Card

I don't know where to start with this but we need a divorce and we are not married in Thailand just California. So I don't know what to do. Any advice as to what to do?

Thanks in advance...

So we were married in California USA

We both live in Thailand

We have been separated for 3 months

She lived with me in America for about 18 months

She came to America on a K-1 visa

She received her temp Green Card

She only lived in America for less than a month woth her Green Card

I don't know where to start with this but we need a divorce and we are not married in Thailand just California. So I don't know what to do.  Any advice as to what to do?

Thanks in advance...

sell the car, house, etc.. shes gonna buttfuk u for all yer worth :o

Did you regsiter the marriage with the Thai Embassy in the States? If so, maybe you can do the divorce over here. She could only get your possessions if she divorces you over there, surely; has she got the willpower for that?

As a general rule:

You can divorce in any jurisdiction where the court accepts it has jurisdiction over your marriage.

Married in teh US but living in Thailand you might seek divorce in Thailand or the US.

Conversely, those of you who married in Thailand hoping to avoid the law of your own country are still vulnerable if a court in your own country decides that it has jurisdiction - it might do so on the grounds of your nationality, or property/equity held in the juridiction back home.

(Remember Borris Bekker, his wife sought and obtained permission to divorce in the US).

My advice would be go get good legal advice from an international law firm in Bangkok, this is not going to be cheap but could be a lot cheaper than if your wife files for divorce in the US.

I suspect you are going to have to come up with some lump sum cash payment or sign over an equivelant in order to avoid the worst happenning.

Remember, the longer it drags out the more chance she is going to be advised to divorce in the US.

I would make an aproach to her with a genrous first offer and see what happens. As with all such things in Thailand where face is involved I would also make my approach through a trusted intermediary. Someone she trusts!

Coach the offer in terms of wanting to end things properly without bad feeling and make the offer openly so she can be seen to be getting out with some respect.

Conversely, those of you who married in Thailand hoping to avoid the law of your own country are still vulnerable if a court in your own country decides that it has jurisdiction - it might do so on the grounds of your nationality, or property/equity held in the juridiction back home.

Oh shit, never knew that. Better keep her happy then or move the money offshore outta reach. :o Can the courts get hold of it then Guesthouse or is it best to stuff it under the mattress if it comes to that?

Find out when that Temp Green Card expires. Lay low until she cannot return to The US. Divorce in the US goes by state. If you are no longer a resident of California (no address, house) she will have trouble serving you there with papers.

Not sure about thailand but if you can divorce in Thailand then maybe it can be registered in the states so you keep a clean slate back home.

I don't know where to start with this but we need a divorce and we are not married in Thailand just California. So I don't know what to do. Any advice as to what to do?

Thanks in advance...

just join the queue of farangs who have discovered that their little honey has turned into a devil with a pair of horns !

there will be many other like you ...5555555555555555555

Find out when that Temp Green Card expires. Lay low until she cannot return to The US. Divorce in the US goes by state. If you are no longer a resident of California (no address, house) she will have trouble serving you there with papers.

This is not much help if the husband holds property, cash or investments in the US.

The wife, regardless of her own resident status, could then ask the court to hear her divorce petition on the grounds that the court has jurisdiction over part or all of the marital wealth.

Also, the husband is still a US Citizen, therefore one half of the marriage is American and therefor the court will normally hear the petition.

Look at it another way, when you present a Thai wedding certificate to the US immigration authority you expect them to accept it. They accept your marriage at that time and tehy will accept it exists when a petition for divorces is filed.