ไป ดี!

Jeddah Jo

Hear this quite often in movies, seemingly among Thais who are raising their voices with each other.

Anyone care to suggest an English equivalent of this?

Could it be something like 'Get out of here!' or 'Happy that you are going!' or did I get completely the wrong end of the stick.

JJ.

Given the "raising their voices" part, I'm with Jay_Jay on this one. Almost certain to be ไปดิ! If said as an angry command, it's like English "get out (of here)!".

And as Jay_Jay said, without the temper attached, it's a less forceful command meaning 'go' or 'let's go' (who exactly it refers to depends on the context).

Given the "raising their voices" part, I'm with Jay_Jay on this one. Almost certain to be ไปดิ! If said as an angry command, it's like English "get out (of here)!".

And as Jay_Jay said, without the temper attached, it's a less forceful command meaning 'go' or 'let's go' (who exactly it refers to depends on the context).

as rikker said, context determines a lot. it can also mean "yes, of course I'm going!".

all the best

You can attach the short-ee-voweled 'di' ดิ particle to most verbs to make it an emphatic:

กินดิ - 'kin di' - go ahead and eat / let's eat

มาดิ - 'ma di' - 'come on over!'

เอาดิ - 'ao di' - 'of course I want it ' - 'let me have it' ... or a number of other meanings depending on the relationship and 'mood' of the conversation ^^ .

it performs a similar function to 'ซะ' 'sa' - short 'a' sound.

If you substituted the 'ดิ' for 'ซะ' it would change the meaning a little (females tend to use 'sa' more than guy guys)

กิซะ 'just go and eat it' - 'go ahead and eat'

มาซะ - sounds a little weird, but would mean 'c'mon over honey'

เอาซะ - again - could have a lot of meanings depending on who and how it's said. Meanings could range from 'go ahead and take it' to 'let's get it on'. ... though you'd probably word that last one a little differently... something like

เรามาเอากันเหอะ 'rao ma ao kan hoeh'

Edited by Jay_Jay