Condo Rat Infestation

sned

Hi All,

I live in a relatively new Condominium complex in Pattaya. For the past 4 months or so we have had problems with rats/mice throughout the building.

The smell of dead rats within the voids of the ceilings is becoming unbearable and in my opinion a health risk.

The condo management are pretty useless. At a recent committee meeting this problem was addressed and a budget was set at 50,000 Bht to rid the building of the rats. A budget was also set for the same amount to purchase replacement computer equipment, guess what they have there PC equipment already but still nothing has been done about the infestation.

I have just been to speak to the manager again but she shows the same lack of interest as always.

My question to the forum is, are there any Health Laws in Thailand regarding this problem to force the building/management into doing something about it before it gets completely out of hand.

My main concern is my 4 month old daughter getting ill as a result of it.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

My question to the forum is, are there any Health Laws in Thailand regarding this problem to force the building/management into doing something about it before it gets completely out of hand.

I think if you are Farang all laws and rights granted to Thais do not apply. Though logically if the owners are Thai and this building is in Thailand that should be irrelevant but TiT.

I think if you are Farang all laws and rights granted to Thais do not apply. Though logically if the owners are Thai and this building is in Thailand that should be irrelevant but TiT.

Not very helpful response. Is there any health laws with regards to the above. Lets just say the owners are Thai and the building is in Thailand.

Thanks

I don't know what gthere may be regarding laws but I do know what there is in the way of enforcement of laws/regulations.

And what the likelihood is of action on a complaint lodged by a foreigner.

As we say in my home town....FUGGEDABUTIT!

Your best recourse is to either move or get a pet cat.

I don't know what gthere may be regarding laws but I do know what there is in the way of enforcement of laws/regulations.

And what the likelihood is of action on a complaint lodged by a foreigner.

As we say in my home town....FUGGEDABUTIT!

Your best recourse is to either move or get a pet cat.

Lets say the complaint is lodged by a Thai. Im just after the law not ifs and buts....

This is precisely why I would not purchase a condominium unit in LOS; Management indifference and in particular to foreigners and you are stuck with it.

I would suggest employing a vermin eradication contractor, do your building management not have a clue?

Until somebody identifies where the rats are coming into the building they can keep poisoning 'em, but they'll keep coming back. They mostly live in the sewers and will enter wherever they can. The pest control companies are not construction engineers and most will not bother to identify and seal the entry points. Why would they, it's recurring business for them. So you keep getting poisoned dead rats rotting in the ceiling voids. Often they come in from the pipe and cable shafts in my experience. Someone should seal all these shafts at the ground floor THEN eradicate the remaining rats. What I'm saying is that someone needs to look at the building plans and identify what needs to be done to stop them entering in the first place. It needs a building contractor AND a pest control company working together, and it will take time, but it shouldn't be too expensive.

By the way, Thai's are often reluctant to use pest control companies when there are rats in buildings because they lay poison and you end up with dead rats rotting in inaccessible places. I speak from experience here, we had rats in our house for nearly a year and the pest control company just kept laying poison traps and killing 'em. In the end I studied the house plans and figured out that the ground under the house had subsided and this had exposed the base of the pipe shaft. The sewage drain pipe went from the shaft, then under the house into the sewer on the road outside our house. Quite simple really, the rats were running from the sewer along the drain/pipe to the base of the shaft, up the shaft and into the ceiling void for a quiet daytime sleep. We got some heavy gauge wire mesh and sealed it 2 years ago and we haven't seen a rat since. Amazing that the house construction company overlooked this. My guess is that you have the same problem and the management are at a loss how to fix it. Ideally the building construction company or architect should be called in as they'll have the best knowledge to figure out where the rats are entering.

• 2 weeks later...
Until somebody identifies where the rats are coming into the building they can keep poisoning 'em, but they'll keep coming back. They mostly live in the sewers and will enter wherever they can. The pest control companies are not construction engineers and most will not bother to identify and seal the entry points. Why would they, it's recurring business for them. So you keep getting poisoned dead rats rotting in the ceiling voids. Often they come in from the pipe and cable shafts in my experience. Someone should seal all these shafts at the ground floor THEN eradicate the remaining rats. What I'm saying is that someone needs to look at the building plans and identify what needs to be done to stop them entering in the first place. It needs a building contractor AND a pest control company working together, and it will take time, but it shouldn't be too expensive.

By the way, Thai's are often reluctant to use pest control companies when there are rats in buildings because they lay poison and you end up with dead rats rotting in inaccessible places. I speak from experience here, we had rats in our house for nearly a year and the pest control company just kept laying poison traps and killing 'em. In the end I studied the house plans and figured out that the ground under the house had subsided and this had exposed the base of the pipe shaft. The sewage drain pipe went from the shaft, then under the house into the sewer on the road outside our house. Quite simple really, the rats were running from the sewer along the drain/pipe to the base of the shaft, up the shaft and into the ceiling void for a quiet daytime sleep. We got some heavy gauge wire mesh and sealed it 2 years ago and we haven't seen a rat since. Amazing that the house construction company overlooked this. My guess is that you have the same problem and the management are at a loss how to fix it. Ideally the building construction company or architect should be called in as they'll have the best knowledge to figure out where the rats are entering.

Thanks for the positive reply Lazy. Some good points there. I will offer some of these ideas to the committee and hopefully something constructive will come of it. I am offshore working at the minute but have had some info regarding the situation. The condo management seem to have pin pointed the problem to the rubbish shafts and are taking steps to clean these up and seal them off. Mobile bins are being placed outside. Its not too much of a problem for me as I live on the first floor, but I have to feel for the poor folk on the higher floors. If it eradicates the rats im sure there wont be too many complaints.

In response to Pushits comments. I am in complete agreement, condo committees are a pain. Hopefully before the end of the year I will have my own house and no one breathing down my neck saying I cant do this and I cant do that. I want to kill my own rats. :o

Off topic a little but is there anyone else in agreement that the cost for condo maintenance per year is way above the average in Europe, I am currently forking out 38,000 Baht, this has got to be bad for your health (back on topic)

Anyway many thanks for all the responses

Thanks for the positive reply Lazy. Some good points there. I will offer some of these ideas to the committee and hopefully something constructive will come of it. I am offshore working at the minute but have had some info regarding the situation. The condo management seem to have pin pointed the problem to the rubbish shafts and are taking steps to clean these up and seal them off. Mobile bins are being placed outside. Its not too much of a problem for me as I live on the first floor, but I have to feel for the poor folk on the higher floors. If it eradicates the rats im sure there wont be too many complaints.

In response to Pushits comments. I am in complete agreement, condo committees are a pain. Hopefully before the end of the year I will have my own house and no one breathing down my neck saying I cant do this and I cant do that. I want to kill my own rats. :o

Off topic a little but is there anyone else in agreement that the cost for condo maintenance per year is way above the average in Europe, I am currently forking out 38,000 Baht, this has got to be bad for your health (back on topic)

Anyway many thanks for all the responses

Re Maintenance: In Europe I am paying eqivalent to 33,000 for 54 sq metres. In Thailand I am paying 48,000 for a lot more space and swimming pools and tennis courts, etc, etc.

Re Rats: Had the same problem where I stay. I inspected every nook and cranny of building and grounds and found garbage everywhere. It took one year to get it removed. We have garbage chutes down to garbage room. Room was absolutely filthy with brokenand unlidded bins. I complained but nothing was done so I cleaned it myself. Of course Manager and Management were angry (I don't know why!) and told me I wasn't allowed in garbage room. I said I would continue to clean it. But didn't need to as Management did start doing its work and saw that staff cleaned it. Condo 'engineers' also put down that sticky stuff and caught many rats. Also drains are now regularly inspected. Also it was useful to get a group of farangs together who were also willing to sign joint complaints and suggestions and take to Manager and Committee.

Best of luck!