Reporting On The First Day In A New Address

My landlady of the house I recently rented claims that she notified the local police when I moved in. Will this fulfill the need to notify immigration of my new address. My 90day report is on Sept 24

This landlady has had many renters over the years and she said that the local police would have notified immigration.

Edited by Joe Joe

My landlady of the house I recently rented claims that she notified the local police when I moved in. Will this fulfill the need to notify immigration of my new address. My 90day report is on Sept 24

This landlady has had many renters over the years and she said that the local police would have notified immigration.

Report your new address on 24 Sept

Perhaps the police would notify immigration...but why take the risk? You are responsible for your 90-day report, nobody else.

Go make your report when it is due.

Sleep better at night knowing that you took care of it and that piece of paper is stapled into your passport (you do staple it in there, yes?)

From the English translation of the Immigration Act:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the

Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law

concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the

law concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason

that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official

of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

"An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply.."

I am here on annual renewals of my O-A retirement visa. Does that mean I am exempt from reporting to the police if I go to Surin and stay in a private house for the weekend? Or is a non-imm O-A considered a "temporary entry permit"?

Edited by mahjongguy

The reporting by the landlord and the 90 days reporting are 2 seperate things. You need to do your 90 day reporting.

And 24 hour New Address Reporting is 3 different things.

If you move to a new permanent address - You MUST report it within 24 hours.

I usually do this by Registered Letter to Immigration Police at Soi Suan Phlu in Bangkok.

If I go somewhere for the Week End - I will nomally be in an hotel - who will require

you to complete a Police Report Form when Registering.

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Hotels do not require you to make any police report - they make the report (if they feel like it - in many cases they will register the Thai half if married to avoid it). You can try to make a report on temporary or permanent change but in most cases you will be told to forget it and just report a permanent change at your next normal 90 day address report interval. Currently only the hotel and 90 day reports are likely to be actively enforced.

Hotels do not require you to make any police report - they make the report (if they feel like it - in many cases they will register the Thai half if married to avoid it). You can try to make a report on temporary or permanent change but in most cases you will be told to forget it and just report a permanent change at your next normal 90 day address report interval. Currently only the hotel and 90 day reports are likely to be actively enforced.

Since the new address has already been reported to the local cops I needn't say anything about my change of address at my 90 day report. They will not bother to find my old copies of my old address so I won't have to worry about the 5k baht fine and the 500baht per day fine for reporting late? The police here in Chiang Rai station don't keep records of address reports. I tried to get a copy today.

Thanks

Joe

From the English translation of the Immigration Act:

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

So, are all the 14 million tourists, who travel throughout Thailand are supposed to queue up at local police stations in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai every time they travel to another destination?

Since the new address has already been reported to the local cops I needn't say anything about my change of address at my 90 day report. They will not bother to find my old copies of my old address so I won't have to worry about the 5k baht fine and the 500baht per day fine for reporting late? The police here in Chiang Rai station don't keep records of address reports. I tried to get a copy today.

Thanks

Joe

Joe - the whole POINT of the 90 day report is to report your Current Address !!!

Both Tenant AND Landlord are required to make their own reports within 24 hours.

Edited by WilliamIV

Thanks

Joe

I got my landlord to go with me to the local police where we easily found the land lady/llandlord report. My 90 day report is to be made in Sept. The tourist police and the regular police didn't know about the need for the report. They don't know there own rules.

Both Tenant AND Landlord are required to make their own reports within 24 hours.

Surely that should read "Tenant OR Landlord".

If you check-in to a hotel or guesthouse, it is the innkeeper's responsibility to notify the authorities. They will copy your passport and the arrival card and send it in. I believe that's typically done by fax.

If you move into a rental property, or move in with a Thai family, you should make sure that your landlord/family does this or (more likely) you should do it yourself. Fillout and submit a TM28.

Here's the interesting part: my next 90-day report was due in May. But in late March I moved from Bangkok to a rented house in Pattaya. I went to Immigration in Jomtien and presented a TM28 to the lady who usually spends all day accepting TM47s. She was puzzled by it, asked a colleague about it, accepted it, took the old TM47 receipt out of my passport and stapled in the bottom part of the TM28. Stamped on that was "return in 90 days, July 22." So, the TM28 re-set my 90-day cycle. I pointed to that, said "really?" and she said "sure". Knowing that sometimes they can actually get things wrong, I was mildly concerned about it, but I returned a few days before July 22 and had no problem.

If you move into a rental property, or move in with a Thai family, you should make sure that your landlord/family does this or (more likely) you should do it yourself. Fillout and submit a TM28.

I have been in Thailand more or less 3 years now. First on non-o visa and now on tourist visas. Everytime I stay with my gf in her/our house. So we (or she) have to fill some form that I stay here? Give it to who? Local police enough?

Everytime I got extension for tourist visa I tried to give our address (or her address) but everytime immigration wants my hotel name and room number in Bangkok or Pattaya. So what is the right thing to do?

Home owner should make report - but most Thai just wait and pay the fine if ever found out. Hotels are where the requirement is more strictly enforced.

When extending a visa Immigration will want you address on that day and if hotel it will match reporting they receive.