Married To A Thai--visa?

I have been married to a Thai woman for three years; however, no official registration has taken place--No documentation. I'm a 67 year old retired American. I have been using the one-year retirement visa, which I have obtained from the Thai Consulate in the US. Is there an easier way?

I'm currently visiting family in the US, and will be returning to Thailand after I figure out the visa. I' m wondering if this works: 1) return to Thailand using visa-upon-entry; 2) Obtain the marraige documents; 3) apply for a long term visa.

Is this possible? Can I apply while in thailand? Can I apply form Laos?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think you would be gaining anything. An "O" visa with an "Extension of stay" based on marriage is still only good for a year at a time. Seems easier to do the "extension based on retirement". You may check on the "O-A" type of retirement visa, you can make it work for a longer period.

Edited by beechguy

You have been staying here on one-year visas or extensions of stay?

We need more information to give you a definite answer.

I have been using a single entry retirement visa. My application would not be for an extension. Since I'm in the US, I would have to start all over again to obtain a one-year retirement visa--correct?

Thanks

Correct. If you cannot meet the requirements for a retirement extension or a marriage extension, your best option is an application for a new non-immigrant visa type O-A at a Thai consulate in the USA. This visa lets you stay for one year after your arrival in Thailand, without having to do border runs.

You cannot get the non-O-A visa at a Thai consulate in Laos or elsewhere in the region.

--

Maestro

1. Single entry non immigrant OA from US located Consulate = one year stay from entry date.

2. Multi entry non immigrant OA from US located Consulate = one year stay on each entry so can be used for almost two years stay.

3. Single entry non immigrant O visa can be extended in Thailand for marriage or retirement. Marriage 40k per month income or retirement 65k per month income or 800k in bank account 3 months. Medical and police reports not required.

4. Arrival without visa is likely to find a problem with airline as an outbound ticket is required by law. If you arrive you must convert to non immigrant visa within first week.

5. You are not married currently if it has not been registered at District Office.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, is the following theoretically possible?

1. Arrive Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp.

2. Marry the Thai girlfriend. (local Thai ceremony).

3. Register the marriage at District Office.

4. Apply at BKK Immigration for 1 year extension of stay

(including: satisfying the monthy/yearly income requirements, and any other necessities)

5. Annual visits to Immigration for further yearly extensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Reach 50 years old, but not bother with the retirement visa option, as it requires a larger monthly income.

Can this all be achieved without ever having to leave the Kingdom?

Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment, is the following theoretically possible?

1. Arrive Thailand on a 30 day entry stamp.

2. Marry the Thai girlfriend. (local Thai ceremony).

3. Register the marriage at District Office.

4. Apply at BKK Immigration for 1 year extension of stay

(including: satisfying the monthy/yearly income requirements, and any other necessities)

5. Annual visits to Immigration for further yearly extensions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. Reach 50 years old, but not bother with the retirement visa option, as it requires a larger monthly income.

Can this all be achieved without ever having to leave the Kingdom?

If you can get married and get all the documentation together the first week of arriving . Yes it is possible.

The 30 day entry stamp can be upgraded to a Non O Visa at immigration if there is at least 21 days remaining on it.

This Non O Visa can be extended for a year at immigration if you qualify.

Edited by Lite Beer