Bangkok Post

Mods feel free to move :o

Saw this job advertised in the UK and thought it might be of interest to someone:

http://www.jobs4journalists.co.uk/Jobs/178...Sub-Editor.html

The Bangkok Post is Thailand’s largest English-language newspaper. It is now looking for

experienced, creative and self-motivated people for the position of:

News Sub-Editor

The successful applicant will have a keen interest in Thai and international news developments

and possess the ability to edit or rewrite copy, often written by non-native speakers, into interesting, easy-to-read stories with accurate and compelling headlines. Strong word skills

are essential.

Requirements:

- A passion for newspapers with a recognised degree or proficiency certificate in journalism;

- A minimum of five years of work experience in editing or sub-editing on a regular newspaper;

- Able to locate to Bangkok, a good knowledge of Thailand and the ability to perform as a team

player;

- A native English-language speaker with an easygoing personality who likes to pay attention

to detail;

- Basic computer skills and the ability to use the Internet effectively as a fact-checking tool;

- Salary is negotiable and we offer a competitive salary and benefits.

If this is the challenge you are looking for, please send your CV, references and any samples

of relevant work to:

[email protected]

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I'm surprised the job advert didn't specify that the person had to be female, under 23 years of age, and must wear a tight skirt and blouse to work.

Seems like all of the job adverts in Thailand include requirements that are a blatant examples of sex/age discrimination.

It's strange they're recruiting in the UK. Someone with the skills and experience mentioned in the advert is going to be earning the equivilent of around 100,000 baht per month (18,000 GBP per year) as a minimum, and they are up against employers from places like Dubai who can offer double that amount tax-free with flights, etc, as part of the package.

It's strange they're recruiting in the UK. Someone with the skills and experience mentioned in the advert is going to be earning the equivilent of around 100,000 baht per month (18,000 GBP per year) as a minimum, and they are up against employers from places like Dubai who can offer double that amount tax-free with flights, etc, as part of the package.

Really - is that all they earn in the UK?

I was at Uni in the 80's with people who really wanted to be journo's and went onto the post grad course at Cardiff after undergrad - some of them are somewhat well known writers today having been on the Guardian and Independent et al. I knew the wages were pretty low in journalism back then but thought they might get more than 18k in the UK now - thats not much over 300 GBP a week!

It's like with English teachers...there are fringe benefits to working in Bangkok that are at the least, much more expensive in Dubai.

I was referring to salaries (18,000 GBP per year) at the low end of the pay scale. That is the level you would expect as a sub-editor for a weekly newspaper. Obviously those working on daily newspapers and magazines would be paid more.

I was referring to salaries (18,000 GBP per year) at the low end of the pay scale. That is the level you would expect as a sub-editor for a weekly newspaper. Obviously those working on daily newspapers and magazines would be paid more.

Thanks - I really would have no clue at all regarding wages in this industry.

Really - is that all they earn in the UK?

I was at Uni in the 80's with people who really wanted to be journo's and went onto the post grad course at Cardiff after undergrad - some of them are somewhat well known writers today having been on the Guardian and Independent et al. I knew the wages were pretty low in journalism back then but thought they might get more than 18k in the UK now - thats not much over 300 GBP a week!

No idea about salary for the BKK Post job, but probably in the 100,000 baht a month range.

All thing's being considered, lifestyle, cost of living etc it's probably not too bad for a someone in their mid-to late 20's with a few years local paper experience.

A "guesstimate" of typical UK salaries:

Sub on a national paper should be earning £30-45k, maybe more depending on hours even up to £60k.

Staff reporter £28k-60k depending on level. Political editor, royal editor, etc £80k+ (most well over £100k).

Columnist £100k plus...Richard Littlejohn gets £1m.

About 15 years ago Michael Winner was getting £4.5k (plus VAT :D ) a week at The N.O.W for his column.

You don't do this sort of job for the money...The big earners are the bean counters who have no idea about running a newspaper :o

There's another member on TV who comes from a local paper background and is working for a publishing company in BKK.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

quote]

There's another member on TV who comes from a local paper background and is working for a publishing company in BKK.

RAZZ

That would be me, I think.

Actually I doubt the subs at Bangkok Post are on anything like 100,000 baht a month. My guess, based on my experience from interviewing previous Bangkok Post staff, is they're paying in the 50,000 - 60,000 baht per month range. I know at least two of their senior journalists (one of whom has more than 10 years experience) are on less than 40,000 baht per month.

Watch this space. I will try to find out exactly how much is being offered.

quote]

That would be me, I think.

Actually I doubt the subs at Bangkok Post are on anything like 100,000 baht a month. My guess, based on my experience from interviewing previous Bangkok Post staff, is they're paying in the 50,000 - 60,000 baht per month range. I know at least two of their senior journalists (one of whom has more than 10 years experience) are on less than 40,000 baht per month.

Watch this space. I will try to find out exactly how much is being offered.

It amazes me... if you don't value yourself and your labour why would an employer? :o

How much do Raimon Land etc etc pay for an advert?

They must be mad :D

RAZZ