The Significance Of Celibacy

camerata

Significance of celibacy

by D P Atukorale

Celibacy is deliberate refraining from sexual activity usually in connection with a religious role or practice. It has existed in some form in most world religions and may indicate a person’s ritual purity, or may be adopted to facilitate spiritual advancement. In shamanistic religions, shamans are often celibate. In Hinduism "holy men/women", who have left ordinary secular life to seek final liberation are celibate.

Islam has no institutional celibacy, but individuals may embrace it for personal spiritual advancement. Judaism has prescribed periods of abstinence, but long-term celibacy has not played a large role. The early Christian Church tended to regard celibacy as superior to marriage. Since the 12th Century, it has been the role for the Roman Catholic clergy, though clerical celibacy was never adopted by Protestantism.

Did Buddha advocate celibacy?

Buddhism is not against sex; it is natural sensual pleasure and very much a part of the worldly life. One may ask, why then did the Buddha advocate celibacy as I a precept? Is it not unfair and against nature?

Well the observance of celibacy for spiritual development was not a new religious precept at the time of the Buddha. All the other existing religions in India during the time of the Buddha also had introduced this practice. Even today, some Hindus and Catholics do observe this as a vow.

Buddhists who have renounced the worldly life voluntarily as in case of bhikkus and bhikkunis and some "upasikas" observe this precept because they are fully aware of the commitments and disturbances which come along if one commits oneself to the life of a family person. It is common knowledge that married life can affect or curtail spiritual development when craving for sex and attachment occupies the mind and temptation eclipses peace and purity of the mind.

Significance of celibacy in Buddhism

People tend to ask, "If the Buddha did not preach against married life, why then did He advocate celibacy as one of the important precepts to be observed, and why did He advise people to avoid sex and renounce worldly life".

It is noteworthy that renunciation is not compulsory in Buddhism. It is not obligatory to renounce the worldly life totally in order to practice Buddhism. One can develop his or her religious principles according to the needs of a lay life. However, when you have progressed and attained greater wisdom and realize that the layman’s way of life is not conducive for the ultimate development of the purification of the mind, you may choose to renounce the worldly life and concentrate more on spiritual development.

The Buddha recommended celibacy because sex and marriage are not conducive to ultimate peace and purity of the mind and renunciation is necessary if one wishes to gain spiritual development and perfection at the highest level. But this renunciation should come naturally and must never be forced.

Celibacy versus responsibility

The Buddha experienced his worldly life as a prince, husband and a father before his renunciation and he knew what married life entailed. Some non-Buddhists say that Prince Siddhartha was selfish and cruel and that it was not fair for him to desert his wife and child. In actual fact, Prince Siddhartha did not desert his family without a sense of responsibility.

He never had any misunderstanding with his wife. He had same love and attachment towards his wife and child as any normal person would have, perhaps, even greater.

The difference was that his love was not mere physical and selfish love. He had the courage and understanding to detach that emotional and selfish love for a good cause His sacrifice is considered the more noble, because he set aside his personal needs and desires in order to serve all of mankind for all time.

The main aim of his renunciation was not only for his own happiness, peace or salvation, but for the sake of mankind. Had he remained in the royal household, his service would have been confined to only his family or his kingdom and that is why he decided to renounce everything in order to gain enlightenment and then to enlighten others who were suffering in ignorance.

Thus one of Buddha’s earliest tasks after gaining Enlightenment was to return to his palace to enlighten the members of his family, including his wife and son. Buddha served his family and paved the way for their salvation, peace and happiness . Therefore, no one can say that Buddha was a cruel or selfish man. With his high degree of spiritual development, the Buddha knew that marriage was a temporary phase, while Enlightenment was eternal and for the good of all mankind.

The Buddha knew that his wife and son would not starve in his absence and that other members of his family would willingly look after his dependents. When He gained Enlightenment, he was able to give his family something no other man could have given, namely the freedom from slavery to attachment.

Source: The Island Online.

I think celibacy is a natural consequence once a certain level of enlightenment is achieved.

Noble as it is, I think premature celibacy can have negative results.

Until ones practice is advanced, many of those with a high libido can end up becoming obsessed and very much out of balance.

I think celibacy is a natural consequence once a certain level of enlightenment is achieved.

Noble as it is, I think premature celibacy can have negative results.

Until ones practice is advanced, many of those with a high libido can end up becoming obsessed and very much out of balance.

Like all attachments that impede spiritual development, and therefore an end to suffering, sex can be an addiction difficult to kick. By practicing mind control, through meditation, prostrations or chanting, the obsessive craving for sex which you call a high libido can be eliminated. Every attachment and aversion causes more suffering. Each time we give in to the attachment, we make a further impression on our mind, making it more difficult to overcome. When it gets to the level of obsession, it may be time to take decisive action, if your goal is freedom from suffering. But it is possible and not as difficult as one might think.

Like all attachments that impede spiritual development, and therefore an end to suffering, sex can be an addiction difficult to kick. By practicing mind control, through meditation, prostrations or chanting, the obsessive craving for sex which you call a high libido can be eliminated. Every attachment and aversion causes more suffering. Each time we give in to the attachment, we make a further impression on our mind, making it more difficult to overcome. When it gets to the level of obsession, it may be time to take decisive action, if your goal is freedom from suffering. But it is possible and not as difficult as one might think.

I agree that many are sexually obsessed and this can be due to psychological factors, but sexual desire is also naturally occuring due to the presence of hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen.

Isn't having an uncomplicated regular sexual outlet beneficial to a persons feeling of calmness and balance?

On the other hand denying oneself can lead to obessive behaviour due to hormonal effect .

I also thought that advanced meditative practice will eventually lead to experiences far superior to any sexual pleasure and this will lead to celibacy as a natural consequence rather than something forced upon oneself.

History is littered with obsessive sexual misbehaviour of abstainers, many of whom are wearers of the cloth, as it is unnatural.

sexual desire is also naturally occuring due to the presence of hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen.

This is true but spiritual progress is often about overcoming what is natural. One could say that forced sex is natural since it occurs in all other animals. Killing is natural to many animals, but also not so good as far as spiritual growth is concerned. Fighting over territory and over females also natural but to be avoided whenever possible.

Isn't having an uncomplicated regular sexual outlet beneficial to a persons feeling of calmness and balance?

Yes, again. But this may be because we have an attachment to sex, and satifying the need produces endorphins and seritonin. Smoking a cigarette can also be beneficial to a persons feeling of calmness and balance. In both examples the calmness and balance only last until the craving arises again, at which time, if denied, it causes more suffering. Hence, samsara, the endless cycle of suffering.

I also thought that advanced meditative practice will eventually lead to experiences far superior to any sexual pleasure and this will lead to celibacy as a natural consequence rather than something forced upon oneself.

Even not so advanced meditations will engender a state of mind far superior to that from sex and will last infinitely longer. Regular meditation does lead to a lot of unexpected and beneficial consequences by eliminating craving at many levels.

History is littered with obsessive sexual misbehaviour of abstainers, many of whom are wearers of the cloth, as it is unnatural.

My personal opinion is that abstention did not cause the sexual aberrations. I would tend to believe that the perpetrators already had the inclinations and were trying to overcome them by simply abstaining. The obsession became increasingly more overpowering as time passed and finally could not be controlled.

The benefit of meditation, especially individually structured analytical meditations, is that one can directly attack one's problems while in a calm and clear state of mind. This releases the real power of the mind which can overcome almost any disturbance.

sexual desire is also naturally occuring due to the presence of hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen.

This is true but spiritual progress is often about overcoming what is natural. One could say that forced sex is natural since it occurs in all other animals. Killing is natural to many animals, but also not so good as far as spiritual growth is concerned. Fighting over territory and over females also natural but to be avoided whenever possible.

Yes, again. But this may be because we have an attachment to sex, and satifying the need produces endorphins and seritonin. Smoking a cigarette can also be beneficial to a persons feeling of calmness and balance. In both examples the calmness and balance only last until the craving arises again, at which time, if denied, it causes more suffering. Hence, samsara, the endless cycle of suffering.

Even not so advanced meditations will engender a state of mind far superior to that from sex and will last infinitely longer. Regular meditation does lead to a lot of unexpected and beneficial consequences by eliminating craving at many levels.

My personal opinion is that abstention did not cause the sexual aberrations. I would tend to believe that the perpetrators already had the inclinations and were trying to overcome them by simply abstaining. The obsession became increasingly more overpowering as time passed and finally could not be controlled.

The benefit of meditation, especially individually structured analytical meditations, is that one can directly attack one's problems while in a calm and clear state of mind. This releases the real power of the mind which can overcome almost any disturbance.

So is sex out?

Can't we travel along the middle road until ones practice engenders celibacy?

After all isn't sexual intimacy one way of demonstrating ones love for another, particularly if the other is not a meditator and expects such love.

Edited by rockyysdt

would you please give me an example of indivually structured meditations, and an example of how to do it. Thanks

In the psychoanalysis the meaning of sex plays a big role. (I am not a professional scientist, just an interested amateur, but sex is a universal human fenomenon, so in a way everybody's opinion, experience is equally valid. I just give my opinion based on my knowledge and experience).

According to Freud everybody (in the western world) has more or less an oidipuscomplex. Oidipus killed his father and married with his mother. We see Greek civilisation as the beginning of (western) civilisation, culture so we don't do such things any more. In stead of that we have developed an oidipuscomplex (repression of agressive and sexual impulses). In this theory culture, or any "higher" mental goal, like enlightenment, is build on the sublimation (or repression) of natural impulses. (Consequenly complete abstinence would give the most cultured, enlightened people).

Others like W.Reich, and myself, think that this might only be true to a certain degree and that the theory of Freud only support the existing (in the beginning of the last century) very strict sexual morals, e.g. no sex before marriage, divorce almost impossible etc.

I tend to think that sexual energy can be used, sublimated, to a certain degree in many directions, e.g. work, creativity, sport etc. But I don't like any prescriptions or restrictions in this field on my own ways, like the great religions are doing; they are a little bit anti-sex, anti-nature (e.g. the catholic prohibition on the use of condoms).

May be there is no absolute truth and everybody must do as he likes most. If you believe celebacy will bring you any further it's "up to you" and if you believe strong it might work.

I think it would be good for everybody to go for a few weeks or so to a silent place in nature, without telefone, internet, tv, or any modern comfort and do nothing. Meditation is in my view more about doing nothing than about doing something. Modern man thinks he always has to do something, time is money, and he cannot stop doing things, even on holidays. The problem with all this doing is that you don't come forward, move from your place (the attachment to doing things stays).

I once read a story about the footballer Di Stefano, who was famous for his feinted movements. And the writer thought that may be Di Stefano was may be the only one who really moved.

• 4 weeks later...
The Buddha knew that his wife and son would not starve in his absence and that other members of his family would willingly look after his dependents. When He gained Enlightenment, he was able to give his family something no other man could have given, namely the freedom from slavery to attachment.

camerata.

Does this mean he gave his family a system, which if followed may culminate in "freedom from slavery to attachment", or did he help them to fast track their experience?

I have a strong suspicion that most of the lengthy Theravada precepts, including celibacy, were written long after the Buddha's death by clerics trying to regulate and formalize the religion. Certainly the prose at least would substantiate that. If we truly believe that enlightenment is real, then we need to have a realistic view of it- it's not a magical hazy state where you walk around slowly and smile all the time, and it certainly isn't something that 'quells' sexual urges into a holy state of celibacy- it's a concrete experience. Zen monks often were married. my 2 cents.

I have a strong suspicion that most of the lengthy Theravada precepts, including celibacy, were written long after the Buddha's death by clerics trying to regulate and formalize the religion. Certainly the prose at least would substantiate that. If we truly believe that enlightenment is real, then we need to have a realistic view of it- it's not a magical hazy state where you walk around slowly and smile all the time, and it certainly isn't something that 'quells' sexual urges into a holy state of celibacy- it's a concrete experience. Zen monks often were married. my 2 cents.

Actually most of the prose around monks rules goes along the lines of, a certain monk did something that people didn't think appropriate, those people raised the issue with the Buddha, and then the Buddha set down a rule to prevent it in future, so no the prose wouldn't substantiate that as the Buddha was alive at the time.

I think celibacy was there right at the beginning though, it was sort of a given for spiritual seekers in India at the time.