Cost Of A Rai Of Land Outside Udon

Damaz6052

I'm seeking information on land values for a different reason.

I've been married to a Thai lady for 15 years but we're now getting divorced after she decided to take a boyfriend.

Our 2 kids (11 and 14) are living with me in the UK, as is my step-son (her son).

Our house in UK is worth about £350k ($700K) which she will get a big slice of.

We (or she to be exact) also has a newly build house near Suwannaphum (Hang Wa village)

A photo is attached.

The land and house are in her name. The land area is 2,547 sq wah, which is over 6 Rai.

I know how much the house cost to build as I sent over the money. What I don't know is the value of the land.

Under UK law, her assets in Thailand have to be taken into account for making the settlement.

My wife is claiming the house is worth nothing! I have a different view off course, but don't know how much.

Any ideas how I can go about getting a valuation? I would need some paperwork to show to the court for it to be accepted

Any help gratefully received

You might consider to contact Sebastian at Isaan Lawyers, see forum sponsor at top of page :o

Edited by bergen

I've been married to a Thai lady for 15 years but we're now getting divorced after she decided to take a boyfriend.

Our 2 kids (11 and 14) are living with me in the UK, as is my step-son (her son).

We (or she to be exact) also has a newly build house near Suwannaphum (Hang Wa village)

A photo is attached.

The land and house are in her name. The land area is 2,547 sq wah, which is over 6 Rai.

I know how much the house cost to build as I sent over the money. What I don't know is the value of the land.

Under UK law, her assets in Thailand have to be taken into account for making the settlement.

My wife is claiming the house is worth nothing! I have a different view off course, but don't know how much.

Any ideas how I can go about getting a valuation? I would need some paperwork to show to the court for it to be accepted

Sorry to read what you are going through .

The house in the Uk will only get sold IF you want to sell it .

The house in uk will not or can not be sold unless you want to sell it .

I do not know the value of the house in Thailand as i do not know the area it looks like a nice house though .

JB

A photo is attached.

If you can find a farang estate agent in the Roi Et area, you may be able to obtain a sympathetic (i.e. expensive) valuation.

If the land is suitable for further development, or could be designated as prime arable land, it will be more costly. It is an asset of your wife, so have it included regardless.

If you intend keeping custody of the children, don't forget to include the cost of child maintenance in your claim.

Good Luck!

Everything's under control in the UK, but if I can get a valuation of the property in Thailand, its value would reduce what she can screw from me here in the UK, and the better the chance of me not having to sell my house and uproot the kids.

What I need then is a valuation of her house and land, one which will stand up in court. At the moment she has filed a cock and bull story with the Court claiming it has no value!

Anyone know an estate agent or property valuer in that area of Thailand (preferably sympathetic to may cause if possible).

Does anyone know of any similar properties for sell in Roiet/Isaan area? If so can you send me details/ links etc. Examples of similar properties would be accepted by the Court for ball park estimates. With the huge 6 Rai of land I'm hoping/expecting £40k-£50k, but I doubt many properties of that nature come on the market very often.

Bergen suggested Isaan Lawyers, but I reckon they will just refer it to a property agent. I will try them anyway if I can't find any one else.

First 10 years were great, then unfortunately her morals reverted to traditional Thai values. However long you've known them, or if you think you know them well, there will always be the risk of them reverting to trait. I knew my wife for 4 years before marrying, If it can happen to me, it can happen to you!

Everything's under control in the UK, but if I can get a valuation of the property in Thailand, its value would reduce what she can screw from me here in the UK, and the better the chance of me not having to sell my house and uproot the kids.

What I need then is a valuation of her house and land, one which will stand up in court. At the moment she has filed a cock and bull story with the Court claiming it has no value!

Anyone know an estate agent or property valuer in that area of Thailand (preferably sympathetic to may cause if possible).

Does anyone know of any similar properties for sell in Roiet/Isaan area? If so can you send me details/ links etc. Examples of similar properties would be accepted by the Court for ball park estimates. With the huge 6 Rai of land I'm hoping/expecting £40k-£50k, but I doubt many properties of that nature come on the market very often.

Bergen suggested Isaan Lawyers, but I reckon they will just refer it to a property agent. I will try them anyway if I can't find any one else.

First 10 years were great, then unfortunately her morals reverted to traditional Thai values. However long you've known them, or if you think you know them well, there will always be the risk of them reverting to trait. I knew my wife for 4 years before marrying, If it can happen to me, it can happen to you!

www.bahtsold.com click adds KK .

Have few houses for sale isaan 3.5 to 6 million baht .

JB

Please, no more book promises!!

Is that rice growing in the pics? 6rai? I really think you should post the pics in the farming forum, giving location, elec and water availability, exact nature of land, flat,hillside, whats growing ect.

They will give you a rough estimate of the land value and perhaps the house too,

I would think 2mill for the house plus the land,

And if she says its worthless, tell her to get out quick before it falls down on her,or you need a home for your kids.

I know im not much help and i wish you all the best, Lickey..

Please, no more book promises!!

Is that rice growing in the pics? 6rai? I really think you should post the pics in the farming forum, giving location, elec and water availability, exact nature of land, flat,hillside, whats growing ect.

They will give you a rough estimate of the land value and perhaps the house too,

I would think 2mill for the house plus the land,

And if she says its worthless, tell her to get out quick before it falls down on her,or you need a home for your kids.

I know im not much help and i wish you all the best, Lickey..

OP .

How much does the house stand you in ? have you kept bills for all the materials and cost of the builders .

The valuation can be linked to this and lets not forget everything in this past year has gone up .

JB

About £25k was sent over to pay for it. The wife arranged it all there so I've never seen any of the bills.

I've never seen the house although I have visited the farm many times before it was built. I'm living in the UK.

The land is all rice paddies around there, and very flat. iIts north East of Suwannphum, towards Yasothon, a mile or so to the south of the 202 highway

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...mp;t=k&z=18

The house is the one on its own in the middle of this satellite shot. I think it was taken soon after it was built. The land is very white as if the builders have just been on it

Thanks I've been seeing her for about 6 weeks and have given her very little. I did buy her a watch(4000baht) and some cheap clothes, she stares me away from the expensive clothes, and is quite frugal with shopping etc

I find it a little strange and will turn down her request and see what happens. I am not jumping for anyone!!!

And I am not going to buy the land just wanted another opinion to confirm my own, it's a new country so new rules expections etc.

She hasn't asked for any amount she mentioned her mum would like to do that for her.

What's the cost of a rubber tree 15baht she tells me

You issarn people are funny. 6 weeks and momma want you to buy land for them. Run forrest run!

Perhaps she wanted a rich(er) BF and not an Employer. Why mix business with pleasure, I can see no advantages. Tell future GF's you have a good job, but are NOT RICH. Then see how it goes.

BTW why tell cyberfriends who you have met today. It impresses nobody!

Dave

Im impressed. This guy is gonna get taken to the cleaners sooner or later!

Perhaps she wanted a rich(er) BF and not an Employer. Why mix business with pleasure, I can see no advantages. Tell future GF's you have a good job, but are NOT RICH. Then see how it goes.

BTW why tell cyberfriends who you have met today. It impresses nobody!

Dave

Im impressed. This guy is gonna get taken to the cleaners sooner or later!

bet your an expert at being taken to the cleaners! :o

How much was that house party? :D:D

I thankyou for your sound advice. Last night we got really drunk in her bar and on the way home she told me that her boss said "finish with him" which I have. So we never got to the 'how much' I realised before the request that something wasn't wright and to confirm that's why I posted.

I have one last question why would an intellegent attractive girl stay working in the bar if she was offered a very attractive salary to be my PA?

My accountant(she's Thai) said it was because "it's to easy and to much fun"

Someone else said it was because she has a "Tha BF"

Your thoughts please

Many thanks for confirming my suspicions.

BTW I meet a really nice girl in the Calvin Klein shop today in Phuket.

Hi,

Some questions we can answer but if your looking for an answer as to why a woman makes certain choices in life then

you over estimate our wisdom!

People do things generally because its what they want to do, dont expect logic to come into play when Thai ladies are concerned, as you appear to have only been here for a few weeks I can assure you that if you ask a logical but pressing question to most thai ladies the reply will be " You think to much"! Sad but true!

Understandably you are going through the preverbial "kid in the sweetshop" phase, ( I think many never leave it and who can blame them?) but you are swimming in unfamiliar waters now, you might wellrecognise the danger of a shark but you can be damaged just as much if not more by a smaller beautiful sea creature as well.

There is much truth in the old saying " If it sounds to good to be true , it generally is"!

Keep you ears open and gob shut with these ladies and you will learn much quicker and hoplefully less painfully, dont give a F..ing job offer as your P.A. to ANY WOMAN you meet, if you want a P.A. pick an old ugly but reliable one who knows she is just on the payrole not a chance for the jackpot.

There are beautiful ladies EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK, and all of them are ok for a week or two, some for longer, there are also some who are genuinly very nice who oyu may consider taking home to meet the family, unfortunatly no one can tell

you the difference, that you have to find out for your self.

If you tell ever girl you meet you are on a short holiday, dont have much money to spend and no house car or assets back home it may save you a lot of problems, but I doubt it!

In over 20 year of visit Thailand I must have broken the hearts of many beautiful young ladies ( if they are to be believed)

for without exception they all praised me for being an "hansum man" and most wanted to look after ,me until my dying day, which might well have been fast tracked as some poor souls have found to thier cost when using allowing thier little head rule their larger head.

The ONE rule you must never break is as others will confirm " DO NOT INVEST MORE THAN YOU ARE PREPARED TO LOOSE",

if you can keep to that then you are a better man than most of us on this forum I suspect!

Good luck to you, you lucky sod!

roy gsd

A photo is attached.

Hi,

Sorry about your situation, presume the divirce will take place in the uk?

Dont know if you have a decent lawyer yet but you need one quick! Shop around, Personally I would get the best female lawyer I could as they are general more agressive and much more demanding on behalf of clients in this type of situation

As the soon to be ex has in effect abandoned all three children and left the country you should be claiming the home in the uk is require dto accomodate the kids until the youngest is at least 18.

Presumably the wife has it in mind that she is going to get half of everything you own, that may not be quite correct as you are entitled to claim maintainace from her to raise the kids and for yourself ( if you give up work and I would until after the divorce anyway) until they are all 18 years of age or working.

If you start approaching some agencies who provide live in-staff ( and live out) and get written confirmation as to the likely annual costs to include holiday cover, airfairs on holidays overtime rates when you are unavalable etc and list all the likely expenditure on the 3 kids, clothing, pocket money, sports/hobbies travel costs to school, cost of vehicle and insurance etc

I an sure you will appreciate that if it is your stated intention to give up work until the yougest is 18 and at university the prosect of still having to pay for the mortgage ( if you have one?) and care for the kids for at least the next 7 years will not go down at all well with the wife at all!

Who has been paying the mortgag and covering the costs of the care for the kids and their support plus other expenses arising from domestic life since she ABANDONED her kids.

Make no mistake, she abandoned them, if you dont go for the jugular then she will wipe the floor with you.

How much land is the house situated on ( LOS) where exactly is it located?

Is the house in LOS entireely n the wifes or do you have some lease or charge on the house?

Presumably the land is in the wifes name or is it in her families name?

What you need is a professional to inspect and value the house AND LAND in LOS, trouble is that she would likely knobble the thai proffesional before she let them in!

When was the property built an what did it cost? ( do you have records of payments/ money teansfers she has madem, not only relating to the house/land costs but in recent times where she is likely to have stashed a bit away)) this might allow some idea of its current value to be assessed.

Please do not confide in your kids, keep them in the dark about your tactics, much as they love you they also have loyalties

to their mother and whilst you might trust the kids the potential damage to your future security requires you to prepare for the worst case scenario.

A half decet lawyer should put in an interim claim for maintainence from your wife, a paper exercise possibly but is another brick for your defence wall.

If at any time you feel like just rolling over and giving her what she wants, go to bed and do not get out of it until you have come to your sense's, she will get far less than 50 % in my view, an dif I am not mistaken she will do a quick deal to get some cash asap especially with somchai bending her ear!

Please tell me you are not sending her any money to suport herself and somchai!!

Best of luck

roy gsd

Quote. You give the impression of a very naive & young Kiwi who knows absolutely nothing about Thai culture or it's women

Yes you're wright on this point having been living in the LOS for ten months I am still finding my way. Reading as much as possible and asking lot's of questions, so please bear with me it's a learning experience!!

I didn't explain before the 'job offer' was really to find out her motivation and I'd never part with money for land, PA etc in this context.

I normally play the odds any life situation except this time I fell.....

Thanks to Roy and the few others who offered sound advice.

Interesting comment about the MTBs Gungadin not sure why you mentioned that!?!

Damaz6052

Edited by Damaz6052

I find it difficult to understand why someone would buy land in someone else's name without some kind of security for it. If you are not married to the woman I would definitely recommend a 30 year leasehold, and if married in Thailand a usufruct. Also, why buy property in the first place, unless it is in an attractive area and for a pure investment, which you have no intention to live in?

I don't see a reason why we farangs should be spending much money on our Thai GFs, something we would never do with a Caucasian GF, before marriage. If, after some times - preferably years, there is still love and a marriage is in the pipeline my recommendations are:

1. Write a will in each country where you have assets

2. Draw up a prenuptial agreement (may not work for Brits under the English law), if there is too much unbalance in your incomes.

3. Secure your right to any property you may buy through, a leasehold or a usufruct (land with chanote title and in your wife's name only - no other family members).

4. Don't become to sole provider for your wife's entire family. Keep it tight to you and her and any pre-marriage children of hers!

G.

Edited by stgrhe