Stray Dogs

dave111223

At my condo building there is an ever increasing number of stray dogs hanging around the parking lot. A few days ago some of the dogs attacked several of the parked cars causing some deep scratches, punctured tires, ripped mud flaps, ripped cars covers etc... (quite a lot of damage). And i have become quite worried as I park my car fairly near to the location where this happened.

We watched the video tapes to see which dogs did the damage, and just before the dogs went crazy an old women who lives in the building who seems to feed the stray dogs on a regular basis went outside to this area and dumped a bunch of food on the floor (so it seems like the dog got into a fight over the food causing the damage to the cars).

My wife is on the condo committee but no one wants to call animal control and have the dogs removed (apparently no one wants the bad karma on their head, which seems totally ridiculous to me). Instead they went and told the women not to feed the dogs on the condo premises. 15 minutes after being told not to feed the dogs she was feeding the dogs...

I just know that the next car to get mauled is bound to be mine, and i'd like to try to prevent this before it happens.

Or god forbid it be a small child next time.

What would you suggest be the best course of action? Baring in mine that there are a few residence who seem to like the stray dogs (although they wash their hands of any wrong doing that the dogs do) and would potentially seek revenge on anyone who had the dogs removed.

At my condo building there is an ever increasing number of stray dogs hanging around the parking lot. A few days ago some of the dogs attacked several of the parked cars causing some deep scratches, punctured tires, ripped mud flaps, ripped cars covers etc... (quite a lot of damage). And i have become quite worried as I park my car fairly near to the location where this happened.

We watched the video tapes to see which dogs did the damage, and just before the dogs went crazy an old women who lives in the building who seems to feed the stray dogs on a regular basis went outside to this area and dumped a bunch of food on the floor (so it seems like the dog got into a fight over the food causing the damage to the cars).

My wife is on the condo committee but no one wants to call animal control and have the dogs removed (apparently no one wants the bad karma on their head, which seems totally ridiculous to me). Instead they went and told the women not to feed the dogs on the condo premises. 15 minutes after being told not to feed the dogs she was feeding the dogs...

I just know that the next car to get mauled is bound to be mine, and i'd like to try to prevent this before it happens.

Or god forbid it be a small child next time.

What would you suggest be the best course of action? Baring in mine that there are a few residence who seem to like the stray dogs (although they wash their hands of any wrong doing that the dogs do) and would potentially seek revenge on anyone who had the dogs removed.

Tell your wife to tell the lady that if there is any other damage done to any other car (make sure she knows what the dogs she is feeding are up to) that will make her liable to pay for the damage. Maybe if there is monetary payment involved she will quickly stop.

Tell your wife to tell the lady that if there is any other damage done to any other car (make sure she knows what the dogs she is feeding are up to) that will make her liable to pay for the damage. Maybe if there is monetary payment involved she will quickly stop.

Seems like it would not be possible to actually collect money from this women though, and she is probably well aware of that, so i doubt she would be too bothered.

And when my wife nicely asked the women (in the presents of several committee members) not to feed the dogs, the women asked my wife which car was hers (implying "next time i'll be sure to throw the food on your car"). So you can see the kind of person we're dealing with here.

Outside peoples houses, you often see bottles of water with the caps on placed in a row along the front wall. This apparently stops the dogs pissing there.? Don't ask me why it works...send a letter to the dog whisperer..... but you might try putting a load in the vicinity of where you park and see if it helps. That plus a whole jar of white pepper on and around your car space may keep them away.

Seems like it would not be possible to actually collect money from this women though, and she is probably well aware of that, so i doubt she would be too bothered.

And when my wife nicely asked the women (in the presents of several committee members) not to feed the dogs, the women asked my wife which car was hers (implying "next time i'll be sure to throw the food on your car"). So you can see the kind of person we're dealing with here.

I am sorry but what exactly does "The committee Members" good for? isnt this the type of problem that they suppose to stop? Do they have power to "fine" ," pressure" or even "kick out" this person causing damage to cars by feeding dogs? Myabe you should put a lot of bird seed around her house and see all the pigeons crap all over her window and entrance.....but honestly if this continues I would threat to poison the dogs if this happends again. I mean its not the dogs fault, they just follow food like all street dogs,so the problem is that lady, i hate to say this but sometimes you can "end violence only with violence"...

Just a suggestion

How about getting the committee or condo manager to pay a few hundred baht for someone to round-up and remove the strays to a pound or temple (or anywhere far away).

Next step would be to attend the next owners meeting and submit a proposal to make this a regular part of condo maintenance - safety and hygiene.

If you have a condo manager he/she is getting paid to resolve these problems.

In Thai culture it is good karma to take care of a stray, it is bad Karma to hurt one.

Police will not interfere with dog related matters. Not for bites, or property damage, and rarely for vicious hospitalizing attacks. NGO's that help stray dogs will not help/interfere with these situations.

Your condo committee will probably have you take the matter up with the neighborhood council.

That committee will tell you that you can contact the local govt tesaban for further assistance.

Try the local temple or crematorium for more input. They might offer to take in some of the dogs.

If you take a dog away, or kill one then you will get direct angry Karma from the people feeding the dogs. (Hidden repercussions)

Do not threaten to kill a dog or people will suspect you after you do it.

Rat poison doesn't work very well (whether hidden in meat or bread)

Clorox tastes sweet to the dog they lap it up and die painful horrible deaths.

I'm not saying I've done this but.....

You could try BB guns. Not only are they great fun & ranges are available throughout Thailand, they will send a message to the dogs without harming them. They use plastic pellets as projectiles.

http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/item443.htm

A mate of mine has one of these & they are really great (for range shooting). If you are shot by a pellet, it stings. I must warn that eyes are to be protected.

You could try BB guns. Not only are they great fun & ranges are available throughout Thailand, they will send a message to the dogs without harming them. They use plastic pellets as projectiles.

http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/item443.htm

A mate of mine has one of these & they are really great (for range shooting). If you are shot by a pellet, it stings. I must warn that eyes are to be protected.

Who's eyes must be protected?

:o

Thanks for the suggestions guys; i think i will try the pepper around my car area first. And try to get the committee to agree to pay someone to take the dogs to the temple.

They have put up signs everywhere saying don't feed the dogs, but i've been here long enough to know that will probably have little effect.

I got myself a handheld Dazer ultrasonic dog deterant from the UK when I was last there. I have only had the chance to use it once on a noisy dog. It seemed to work and kept the dog quite for a few days. Probably not possible to get in Thailand though, but maybe handy to give them a Zap each time you go past.

http://www.dogdazer.co.uk/