Green Bangkok Wi-fi

pete_r

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the signs at several bus stops with "Green Bangkok", followed with "Wi-Fi" and "True hi-speed"?

I'm curious whether they mean True has plans to put wi-fi access on the streets, or are they just adverts, or something else?

GPRS, and EDGE obviously, will offer a better experience, albeit for a small-ish price (I pay 4 baht/hour). I've used this free True WiFi service and it was vaguely reminiscent of 28.8 kbps dial-up service from eons ago.

Edited by lomatopo

Also, you have to be a True customer for it to work.

Us heathen gentiles can't use it, even with the access card containing ID and password.

The final step is they SMS you with a second password in order to access one of their 15,000 hotspots. If you don't have True phone service, you can't get the SMS. Not quite as altruistic ("making Bangkok green--using WiFi so you don't have to travel as much") as they advertise it to be.

hmm i don't think you have to be a true customer. you just need the access card, which is free. i haven't used it yet because i use my own wifi at home, but there is some info here and here (doesn't mention an SMS?).

Edited by girlx

hmm i don't think you have to be a true customer. you just need the access card, which is free. i haven't used it yet because i use my own wifi at home, but there is some info here and here (doesn't mention an SMS?).

Well, Sir, you really shouldn't be so opinionated until you've spoken from experience, not hunches.

I HAVE used it (or tried), right in the True sales shop in Bangkok with the coaching of the sales staff. The "free" access card doesn't work if you're not a True mobile-phone customer. It's one of those "little steps" they don't inform you about until you've jumped through about 10 hoops in the process. The final step in the process is sending you a second password by SMS so you can login. "Oh, you're not a True mobile customer? Sorry, can't get SMS!"

The entire promotion is a sales gimmick to boost True's customer base of mobile phone users. Haven't you ever heard of the phrase, "There's no free lunch!" ? Especially in SE Asia. :o

Edited by toptuan

Well, Sir, you really shouldn't be so opinionated until you've spoken from experience, not hunches.

I HAVE used it (or tried), right in the True sales shop in Bangkok with the coaching of the sales staff. The "free" access card doesn't work if you're not a True mobile-phone customer. It's one of those "little steps" they don't inform you about until you've jumped through about 10 hoops in the process. The final step in the process is sending you a second password by SMS so you can login. "Oh, you're not a True mobile customer? Sorry, can't get SMS!"

The entire promotion is a sales gimmick to boost True's customer base of mobile phone users. Haven't you ever heard of the phrase, "There's no free lunch!" ? Especially in SE Asia. :o

I'm not a True Mobile customer and have access to Green Bangkok.

There is a hot line, they do speak English and are able to assist you.

I'm not a True Mobile customer and have access to Green Bangkok.

There is a hot line, they do speak English and are able to assist you.

Thanks. Perhaps we should start by giving that number to the True staff who "assist" customers in person? :o

Been away for a while, thanks for the answers. Seeing the location of the hotspots, I'm too far out in the suburbs to use the service, but it's good to know anyway.

Would be nice if they set up a hotspot at the Immigration at Suan pluu. Many people spend many hours sitting and waiting there.

I have a house in Bangkok I use infrequently so cancelled my ADSL. Last time I was there, I noticed I could get weak Green WiFi signal. I went down to the nearest True office and picked up the free card. I was able to connect, albeit slowly, with no problems and I am not a True customer.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Green Bangkok Wifi card today at my local True shop. You have to ask as they don't promote that they give away the cards. Only 500,000 cards are being given out in this program throughout Bangkok. I went to the sign up page and had to enter the pin number on card, serial number on card, my name, passport number, desired user name and password. That was it and I was registered for the free 64K wifi at 15,000 True Hotspots in Bangkok. You don't need to get an sms or have a true phone. Once you get a card the sign up page and info on program is at the url below.

http://www.truewifi.net/en/promotion/green_bangkok.htm

basically it means that if you joined up to true wireless for 500b a month you are going to be lucky to get a trickel down the line now as they forgot to increase the bandwidth to make room for all the new users, and certainly no offer of a refund and definitely no release from the 3 months notice clause, called a rip off in any other country

• 8 months later...

Just at the moment my condo's internet connection is down so I switched to truewifi. On the access page there's a Green Bangkok Wi-fi banner and there I registered free and am now using this connection. The registration page didn't ask about true customership or anything just name and password. Speed is OK for surfing.