Bangkok Dangerous

Karlm84

Anybody seen this film yet?

Ive seen the original Thai version and unfortunately found a little to be desired.

Ive seen a trailer for the new film with Nicholas Cage and it looks pretty good. Think they were filming in 06 but stopped when the coupt was going was going on, but now its complete and showing in the Uk next month.

So anybody seen it or got any views on whether its gonna be any good?

Please throw your thoughts into the ring

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard it was very good But i would need too see it myself!

Still not here in sydney.......but i`m really looking forward to it!!

i think the Pang brother should do well and nothing should be similar from the orignal bangkok dangerous.

anyways do you know when it come out in thailand???

Original lad Joe in Thai Movie was deaf, dare say Cage isn't. I don't think it will be the same story at all. Only common denominator - hitmen. Thai movie theme was pure revenge/payback. Guess we'll see what happens next.

Edited by britmaveric

Saw the original Thai version a few years ago. Thought it was ridiculous and surprised to see they are doing a remake. What did the nice girl from the chemist's shop see in the hitman? Also seem to remember that the hitman dies in a hail of bullets at the end, à la Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid. Pity it didn't happen sooner in the film.

From what I've seen of the photos I'm not optimistic. Nicholas boating through the floating market, nick in a gogo bar with a bunch of hookers, gangsters, etc, basically I doubt Thailand will be portrayed in a very positive light. I expect a lot of people back home that see it to wonder how the heck I'm able to live in such a 'dangerous' place, but hopefully I'll be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just saw the movie in the cinema; not bad, sometimes the action is not really going seemless so the script would have needed some finetuning (but is this not true for nearly all Hollywood movies nowadays?). A few overlong scenes with the deaf and mute pharmacist girl that could have been shortened. And no, Cage is not deaf.

I was very surprised to see a lot of scenes totally uncensored, that you would normally not see in a Thai movie without some weird flimmer effects: lots of scenes with guns right to the head, a needle injection, partial nudity.

The thing with the elephant trunk was just plain weird (that it brings bad luck when it points downward), but that brought at least some 'Thai culture' into it. Bangkok and the Thais are not featured worse than you would see in comparable only-Thai movies.

I would recommend seeing it and do not want to say more without spoiling the action...

I liked it more than the original. Same same, but entirely different. The new one is much better. There are similarities between the 2 movies but there are a lot of things that have been switched around (the main character isn't deaf in this one, his pharmacist girl friend is... stuff like that) When I heard they were filming it a few years back I was worried that they were going to continue Hollywood's stereotype of Thailand, but it was nothing like that. I think it was really well done.

Talked to someone who worked on the film and he said it was going to be crap.

This "someone" obviosly knew what he/she was talking about.....

I walked out of the movie theatre wanting my money back. It was crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw it last night but I cant report on it as it appears Ive been suspeneded. Saw it in the UK , was watchable but really its a case of 1 guy kills everyone then shoots himself at the end too!!! N ot wantng to spoil then ending like!!! Yes contained nudity a hand being chopped off by a boat propeller etc etc

I walked out of the movie theatre wanting my money back. It was crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviews on the web seems to point the same direction. :o

So... what's the verdict? If it's like The Wicker Man, I don't want to touch it.

some of the cinematography i thought was quite creative. like when he shot the guy in the boat you could see the bullets from under the water, then slowly the water around the hull became a darker color (of course suggesting the killing of the man). i'm not sadistic but i smiled at the way it was filmed.

At the end of the movie i was disappointed that he shot himself. I was hoping that he would get out of the car and give the BIB a few thousand baht and be on his way. :o

I liked:

the fact that it turned the baddie farang movie stereotype around: this time the farang had a conscience (thanks to it being made outside of Thailand maybe?)

the farang lead didn't get the girl and didn't end up a living hero and therefore didn't follow the usual Hollywood formula

this time, at last, the farang kicked some Thais for a change

I didn't like:

much less deep (emotional scenes) than the original

Nicholas Cage looked past it in this role

the Thai actor (his student) looked way too much of a goodboy - also didn't rate his acting for this role, probably better in soaps

the fact that the hitman could get away with drowning a man in a hotel pool at night with his bodyguard and gig standing at the side but not seeing/hearing anything happening!

I generally liked it. It was not as good as the original, but still enjoyable.

I am not sure why they had to get a Hong Kong actress (Charlie Young) to play Joe's love interest (aren't there enough pretty Thai actresses available?), and Kong's character is rather watered down from the original, but overall, it was worth the price of admission.

I am not a Nicholas Cage fan, although many people, especially Thais, say I look like him. So sitting there with my Thai date (who does not look like Charlie Young, mores the pity! :o ), I did feel a degree of connection in that vein, especially as Nok (the Charlie Young character) was not a bargirl (that whole sexpat scene was limited in the movie.)

I watched the movie at MBK, and it was a little surreal seeing MBK on the screen while sitting in the mall itself. It was also humorous to here the gasps of surprise and laughter from the Thai women in the audience whenever Kong insulted Joe (under his breath) with Thai vulgarities. And that leads to a curious observation. I tend to steer clear of R-rated movies in Thailand as I hate to see a movie cut by censors. But the rain and traffic were so bad on Friday night that we decided to kill time by seeing the movie. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a movie which may have not been cut by Thai censors. There was nudity, brief sex, vulgar language, and very graphic and bloody violence.

I generally liked it. It was not as good as the original, but still enjoyable.

I am not sure why they had to get a Hong Kong actress (Charlie Young) to play Joe's love interest (aren't there enough pretty Thai actresses available?), and Kong's character is rather watered down from the original, but overall, it was worth the price of admission.

I am not a Nicholas Cage fan, although many people, especially Thais, say I look like him. So sitting there with my Thai date (who does not look like Charlie Young, mores the pity! :o ), I did feel a degree of connection in that vein, especially as Nok (the Charlie Young character) was not a bargirl (that whole sexpat scene was limited in the movie.)

I watched the movie at MBK, and it was a little surreal seeing MBK on the screen while sitting in the mall itself. It was also humorous to here the gasps of surprise and laughter from the Thai women in the audience whenever Kong insulted Joe (under his breath) with Thai vulgarities. And that leads to a curious observation. I tend to steer clear of R-rated movies in Thailand as I hate to see a movie cut by censors. But the rain and traffic were so bad on Friday night that we decided to kill time by seeing the movie. So I was pleasantly surprised to see a movie which may have not been cut by Thai censors. There was nudity, brief sex, vulgar language, and very graphic and bloody violence.

looking forward to this one ,watch the original ,but must admit i do like some of cages movies,not in samui just yet and cant find it on line ,maybe tomorrow :D