Chiang Mai Lawyers

ToonBroon

Before I try out those mentioned in the excellent "Recommend....." thread, was wondering if anyone had experiences, good/bad with the local lawyers during their time of setting up business here in Chiang Mai and what would be a reasonable amount to set aside for legal fees for the overall process of forming a Limited Partnership with 3 shareholders.

If it's allowed, names and contact numbers for the good guys would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TB

Edited by ToonBroon

It was my accountant who has helped me setting up my business, a partnership limited, and with my workpermit.

She helped friends of mine setting up their Co. ltd. She's been always a good and reliable help.

If interested I can send you by pm her contact details.

Nienke

It was my accountant who has helped me setting up my business, a partnership limited, and with my workpermit.

She helped friends of mine setting up their Co. ltd. She's been always a good and reliable help.

If interested I can send you by pm her contact details.

Nienke

Thanks Nienke, sounds just what I'm looking for.

Please pm me.

Cheers

TB

I've set up several Co. Ltd. in Chiang Mai. One was set up through my accountant as well after she convinced me that she was cheaper than a lawyer. While it was cheaper, the accountant did not provide as good as service. Specifically, the lawyer was able to provide much better advice on structure, shareholder formation, voting rights, etc. I'd personally not use an accountant again unless I was confident on every aspect of how I want the company structure.

After working with several law firms and accounting firms, I would only recommend Sunbelt Asia. They are more expensive but worth it as far as advice and service.

**Incidently, my accountant was a HER as well**

Edited by earlofwindermere

Before I try out those mentioned in the excellent "Recommend....." thread, was wondering if anyone had experiences, good/bad with the local lawyers during their time of setting up business here in Chiang Mai and what would be a reasonable amount to set aside for legal fees for the overall process of forming a Limited Partnership with 3 shareholders.

If it's allowed, names and contact numbers for the good guys would be appreciated.

Cheers,

TB

I dont have a number, but if you contact the CM Expat Club and asked for the details for Tom (Thai Lawyer), I am sure you will find him to be very helpful. Very professional and great English. But like anything, make up your own mind.

I've set up several Co. Ltd. in Chiang Mai. One was set up through my accountant as well after she convinced me that she was cheaper than a lawyer. While it was cheaper, the accountant did not provide as good as service. Specifically, the lawyer was able to provide much better advice on structure, shareholder formation, voting rights, etc. I'd personally not use an accountant again unless I was confident on every aspect of how I want the company structure.

After working with several law firms and accounting firms, I would only recommend Sunbelt Asia. They are more expensive but worth it as far as advice and service.

**Incidently, my accountant was a HER as well**

I worked that out in the first line.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

TB

I dont have a number, but if you contact the CM Expat Club and asked for the details for Tom (Thai Lawyer), I am sure you will find him to be very helpful. Very professional and great English. But like anything, make up your own mind.

Cm expat club had a sponsor called ICO, which they quietly dropped with no explanation to members. Go there and you will know why. Be careful of recommendations unless from a friend as commissions are alays involved,

Cheers,

TB

Tom is fantastic - very diplomatic if there is a dispute. If he is unfamiliar with any problem, he learns about it and solves it satisfactorily. Reasonable fees. number is 085 0317189

• 5 months later...

Cheers,

TB

The lawyer being recommended here "Tom" is in fact not a lawyer. Tom works for the Chiang Mai expats club and is often mentioned as being a lawyer but he is not. We have found out the hard way by loosing 4 million baht by employing someone who is not a lawyer. This is not a personal attack it is a statement of fact. I also think it is very important that all expats know that this person is not a lawyer.

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

The lawyer being recommended here "Tom" is in fact not a lawyer. Tom works for the Chiang Mai expats club and is often mentioned as being a lawyer but he is not. We have found out the hard way by loosing 4 million baht by employing someone who is not a lawyer. This is not a personal attack it is a statement of fact. I also think it is very important that all expats know that this person is not a lawyer.

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Charlatans have been around for ever.

It does say something though about Chiang Mai Expats Club don't it :o

Clubs, societies what-have-you are not my thing so I know precious little about CEC and have no wish to get involved in any of the discussions about the organisation or it's politics.

However, I have taken advice from Tom, he was recommended by an expat for whom I have some respect. The advice given freely at an initial meeting was good and negated the need to proceed. Tom did not at any stage present himself as a lawyer simply as an adviser to expats on legal, visa and touching on financial matters - more of a well informed go-between. He struck me as a sensible and helpful bloke; he may or may not be lawyer but he provided a service to me as promised.

I had just the one meeting but I'm getting fed up with the propensity around here to post and then repost and then re-repost complaints. Wouldn't it be nice if compliments were so freely posted up on this forum?

JxP

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Oh?! I was under the distinct impression that Tom was a graduate of Thammasat University with a law degree and is a licensed lawyer. Perhaps he could respond directly. He, I am sure, and/or close colleagues read TV.

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Why have you dragged up a five month old thread to continue what sounds like a personal vendetta? Hasn't it been covered already in several now defunct threads? Boring...............

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Why have you dragged up a five month old thread to continue what sounds like a personal vendetta? Hasn't it been covered already in several now defunct threads? Boring...............

Boring? Tom has been praised or otherwise recommended from time to time. Does Tom have a law degree? From where? Is Tom or is he not a licensed lawyer? Fair enough questions.

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Boring? Tom has been praised or otherwise recommended from time to time. Does Tom have a law degree? From where? Is Tom or is he not a licensed lawyer? Fair enough questions.

Boring because the subject has been done to death in several now closed threads about the CM Expats club. I've heard Tom doing good work for several other ex-pats. He's also a very nice guy, though I've never used him personally.

David Wenman

Chiang Mai

Boring because the subject has been done to death in several now closed threads about the CM Expats club. I've heard Tom doing good work for several other ex-pats. He's also a very nice guy, though I've never used him personally.

Yes, I agree, Tom is indeed a very nice guy, but that begs the question(s). He has been recommended, at least indirectly on TV in various places, including this thread, as a lawyer, or at least a "legal adviser," whatever that may otherwise be.

I don't believe that Wenman resurrected the thread.

Yes, I agree, Tom is indeed a very nice guy, but that begs the question(s). He has been recommended, at least indirectly on TV in various places, including this thread, as a lawyer, or at least a "legal adviser," whatever that may otherwise be.

Nothing will come of kicking this question around on here because CEC hardly has any members who follow TV and in any event no one is likely to take it on themselves to be an "official" spokesperson. If you are keen to resolve the exact nature of his qualifications why not either post a message on the CEC forum, email someone on the committee or write to Alan Hall or Tom directly? One of those routes will almost certainly straighten it out and all the email details are easily findable with a minute on Google.

Other than Wenman's widly aired grievances (answered in some detail by Mr Hall if I remember rightly) as far as I know there's been nothing contentious about the service that Tom provides to the expat community via the CEC or Alan's company and accounts of whether he has or hasn't been represented as a qualified lawyer have so far been heresay, so why not just find the facts from the easiest and most direct source and let us have the answer in due course.

Nothing will come of kicking this question around on here because CEC hardly has any members who follow TV and in any event no one is likely to take it on themselves to be an "official" spokesperson. If you are keen to resolve the exact nature of his qualifications why not either post a message on the CEC forum, email someone on the committee or write to Alan Hall or Tom directly? One of those routes will almost certainly straighten it out and all the email details are easily findable with a minute on Google.

Other than Wenman's widly aired grievances (answered in some detail by Mr Hall if I remember rightly) as far as I know there's been nothing contentious about the service that Tom provides to the expat community via the CEC or Alan's company and accounts of whether he has or hasn't been represented as a qualified lawyer have so far been heresay, so why not just find the facts from the easiest and most direct source and let us have the answer in due course.

Well, this thread has nothing to do with CEC; it is about lawyers. And I think it fair to say Mr. Wenman has had his say, not improved by repetition.

I haven't the foggiest idea how many CEC members follow TV. I being one, happen to. As do some others I know, but that is irrelevant. The only connection I know of on the thread happens to be comments about a former CEC sponsor, a law firm called IOC, which is no longer "a friendly merchant" sponsor of the club. If you wish, you can find out more about that firm here and elsewhere.

Again, simply, Tom has been recommended here. What are Tom's credentials and background in law?

Again, simply, Tom has been recommended here. What are Tom's credentials and background in law?

As I said above, it's unlikely you'll get a satisfactory answer here (and certainly not by simply repeating the question) - why not direct your question to the people who know and share the answer with people via this thread?