I Would Like To Leave Bangkok

wasabi

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

move to a bkk surburb like me, no pollution here, you wouldnt even know you were near bkk. only 30 mins drive on the motorway regardless of the time of day!

is there any bars near you boo or do you have to go downtown.

Downtown mate

btw,

love the name and avator lol.any likeness?????

I would like at least 1 megabyte. I have considered Issan but from what I've been told internet is not reliable there. Hua Hin is on the table too. Does anyone know anything about Singapore long stay options? Yes I have been trying to google this myself too.

culture-pollution.jpg

There are lots of options for staying in Singapore. However, unlike Thailand, they like to put Expats to work :-)

It all depends on your educational qualifications. If you have a degree from a good university you can get a provisional Work Permit which means you can stay in the country for a year while you look for work. When you find a job, the work permit is guaranteed.

There are many other options. This site should give you all the info you need:

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/momportal/en/home.html

PM me if you need any more advice.

Good post from Ade, Singapore is well worth a look, although if you're an old Thailand hand you may find it a little restrictive.

For instance, go to Boat Quay after 2300 Hrs and order food, it ain't gonna happen. Closed for food at 2300 Hrs

Singapore is a really nice place and I have spent a lot of time there, but compared to Thailand.......... :o

I have found the pollution in BKK at times to be unbearable. I often have trouble breathing and constantly have a sore throat. I have some reservations about Thailand but overall really like it. My health and the pollution are the key drivers here.

Second issue. My girlfriend is Lao. We would like to get married but unfortunately I recently found out I did not properly divorce my Thai wife over 2 years ago and am trying to get her to come to BKK to register it appropriately. Hopefully this can be taken care of soon but there is no guarantee she will be willing. In lieu of her cooperation I may have to wait a year or more to petition to have our divorce finalized without her.

I would simply return to my home country the USA but I want to be with my girlfriend. I cannot yet marry her or start any visa process to take her with me. I am thus looking for alternatives in Thailand or near Thailand that may be suitable. Wherever I go I need fast internet and clean air. I have been considering Singapore but don't know all the visa laws there. I would also like the ability to telecommute if possible to earn some money. I would like to go somewhere, where I could stay at least a year without too much visa hassle. I am willing to go anywhere in the world that my girlfriend can go too. Her Laotian citizenship makes staying in SEA most likely the best option.

Seven years ago I took a journey through Isaan and along the Mekong by public transport; then 6 months later a similar journey by car. A few months later I moved to Isaan on the Laos border and never regretted one minute. Best climate, food and people in Thailand. There are many reasonable sized towns along the river and your girl can be over in Laos with 15 minutes.

I'm rethinking this after reading all the posts and if possible would like to stay near but not in downtown BKK. I think the Thailand Cultural center would only be a small improvement. There is still a lot of cars in that area. Any other places somewhat near BTS or MRT but with low traffic?

So if there is a possibility I stay in BKK but a different area. I would like to be able to get to downtown BKK as needed. I am going to a Thai language school near Nana and need to go for my student visa + I enjoy learning Thai and would prefer not to stop. If I move out of BKK I'll have to make some big changes, depending on my health it may come to that but I'm willing to try some compromises first.

The various island suggestions sound wonderful but I can't live that far right now unless I get a different visa. My throat and breathing do bother me so much at times I figure I'd even be willing to leave Thailand but if somehow there is an area outside of the Sukhumwit area with lower pollution then I might be able to tough it out.

I do use Skype but like I said if I have at least 1 MB I'll be ok. 2 is even more ideal I presently have 2.5 but at peak hours it often dips below 1.

I had looked into getting a Singapore EPEC visa but I didn't have a copy of my education transcript, just a letter stating I did graduate and henceforth didn't qualify. My GPA was pretty crappy even though I managed to graduate so I was reluctant to send that. I do have a decent work resume though.

Today I bought one of those surgical mask things at Boots. I used to think those things look funny but having chronic laryngitis certainly isn't any funnier.

Edited by wasabi

Why not consider Phitsanulok, has wireless internet coverage as well. Pollution is no where near as Bad as Bangkok, Main Train Station, Airport with two flights to DMK per Day, good bus service. Plenty Facilities :D But Movies mainly do not have English Soundtrack :o .

Ko Chang. Spent a few days down there last week. I'd forgotton how absolutely stunning the place is. And not prohibitively far from Bangkok. My favorite island by quite a long way. Large Thai community there, great people. I'm almost tempted myself. Not sure about internet, but I guess there's plenty of satellite and mobile phone options these days?

I should think so koh chang is part of thailand after all isnt it?

You're obviously very perceptive. I meant comparatively, with regard to some of the other islands. To me Ko Chang actually feels like being in Thailand, rather than simply being stuck on some soulless island hel_l with a bunch of white rastas playing the bongos...

Ko Chang. Spent a few days down there last week. I'd forgotton how absolutely stunning the place is. And not prohibitively far from Bangkok. My favorite island by quite a long way. Large Thai community there, great people. I'm almost tempted myself. Not sure about internet, but I guess there's plenty of satellite and mobile phone options these days?

You're obviously very perceptive. I meant comparatively, with regard to some of the other islands. To me Ko Chang actually feels like being in Thailand, rather than simply being stuck on some soulless island hel_l with a bunch of white rastas playing the bongos...

I agree that koh chang is the best island but for ratio of thais to foriegners, same same but different!

I agree that koh chang is the best island but for ratio of thais to foriegners, same same but different!

Are you high right now?

Any opinion on Rayong?

I've heard it said many times that the air quality in Rayong is bad. I can understand where this is coming from as there is a lot of industry. I have lived in Ban Chang for four years, which is close to Rayong, and have never experienced any problems. Maybe I'm just not very sensitive to these things. I run and ride my bike very regularly without any problem.

I'm rethinking this after reading all the posts and if possible would like to stay near but not in downtown BKK. I think the Thailand Cultural center would only be a small improvement. There is still a lot of cars in that area. Any other places somewhat near BTS or MRT but with low traffic?

Maybe check out the areas along the route of the new BTS extensions. Apparently they will open next year :o

Not so much traffic this side of the Chao Praya.

Wasabi

I had in mind an apartment near the top of the New High Rise Apartment Block (sorry forget the name)

they have an office in the Esplanade Shopping Mall - both next to the Thailand Cultural Centre station.

I assume the Air would be cleaner high up?

And there is much open space greenery in that area.

Do you have any gadget for measuring the pollution in any given place?

Bill

Edited by WilliamIV

Wasabi

I had in mind an apartment near the top of the New High Rise Apartment Block (sorry forget the name)

they have an office in the Esplanade Shopping Mall - both next to the Thailand Cultural Centre station.

Bill

No I don't have any gadget though I can often see smog and huge clouds of black smoke wafting around Sukhumwit which can't be good. Even where I am now in my apartment is not the problem. It's that I can't really go for a casual stroll without choking. I can only assume this comes from either automobiles or factory output. Thus getting away from those two possible sources would be ideal.

Cambodia is out. If you want Internet the trade off is very polluted air in populated areas. There are no pollution controls in Cambodia. The dust will kill you before the pollution in Phnom Penh.

Get a high floor condo on the river in Bangkok. Very little bad air.

All of NE Thailand (Isaan) is basically Lao culture and language. Have you considered it?

P.S. How fast for "fast internet?" A couple of new systems are up and running here in Isaan which might afford you some feasible options.

I've had my cable, high-speed internet here in Isarn for 3 years. 800 baht a month.

from the smog pic from the bus and military grade gas mask. No wonder the general thai population and other lower income countries want to leave. Government is self serving and lacks in public improvements.

Going to some where clean and cheap will be hard to find, but you will lost comfort and safety

Wasabi

Bill

No I don't have any gadget though I can often see smog and huge clouds of black smoke wafting around Sukhumwit which can't be good. Even where I am now in my apartment is not the problem. It's that I can't really go for a casual stroll without choking. I can only assume this comes from either automobiles or factory output. Thus getting away from those two possible sources would be ideal.

Just to correct what I wrote

The New 30 Floor Apartment Block is "Rhythm - Ratchada"

next to Ratchadaphisek MRT station.

You say your current apartment is OK - the need is to go for a walk.

But I think to find Fresh Air Strolls near any MRT of Sky Train station is unlikely

- from the map they are all near main roads.

What is the Quality of Air like in Lumphini Park.?

I have found the pollution in BKK at times to be unbearable. I often have trouble breathing and constantly have a sore throat. I have some reservations about Thailand but overall really like it. My health and the pollution are the key drivers here.

Second issue. My girlfriend is Lao. We would like to get married but unfortunately I recently found out I did not properly divorce my Thai wife over 2 years ago and am trying to get her to come to BKK to register it appropriately. Hopefully this can be taken care of soon but there is no guarantee she will be willing. In lieu of her cooperation I may have to wait a year or more to petition to have our divorce finalized without her.

I would simply return to my home country the USA but I want to be with my girlfriend. I cannot yet marry her or start any visa process to take her with me. I am thus looking for alternatives in Thailand or near Thailand that may be suitable. Wherever I go I need fast internet and clean air. I have been considering Singapore but don't know all the visa laws there. I would also like the ability to telecommute if possible to earn some money. I would like to go somewhere, where I could stay at least a year without too much visa hassle. I am willing to go anywhere in the world that my girlfriend can go too. Her Laotian citizenship makes staying in SEA most likely the best option.

One idea:

You could finalize your divorce, then marry your laos GF, while leaving polluted Bangkok to live in a Thai town less polluted.

I cannot handle the BKK pollution either as my throat and lungs are too sensitive.

Chiang Rai has much cleaner air than Chiang Mai .. except during "burn times" .. broadband in some areas, and borders on Laos. Near enough to Ban Huaysai that your GF can make visa runs if necessary.

Edited by klikster

So if there is a possibility I stay in BKK but a different area. I would like to be able to get to downtown BKK as needed. I am going to a Thai language school near Nana and need to go for my student visa + I enjoy learning Thai and would prefer not to stop. If I move out of BKK I'll have to make some big changes, depending on my health it may come to that but I'm willing to try some compromises first.

The various island suggestions sound wonderful but I can't live that far right now unless I get a different visa. My throat and breathing do bother me so much at times I figure I'd even be willing to leave Thailand but if somehow there is an area outside of the Sukhumwit area with lower pollution then I might be able to tough it out.

I do use Skype but like I said if I have at least 1 MB I'll be ok. 2 is even more ideal I presently have 2.5 but at peak hours it often dips below 1.

I had looked into getting a Singapore EPEC visa but I didn't have a copy of my education transcript, just a letter stating I did graduate and henceforth didn't qualify. My GPA was pretty crappy even though I managed to graduate so I was reluctant to send that. I do have a decent work resume though.

Today I bought one of those surgical mask things at Boots. I used to think those things look funny but having chronic laryngitis certainly isn't any funnier.

Naysayers will say there's no escape from BKK air pollution but a look at air quality stats by neighbourhood will show there's quite a variance according to location.

What you need is a neighbourhood with little or no through traffic, and that means a neighbourhood with two-lane streets rather than 4-/6-lane streets. In addition it helps to be fairly near the river as the river channels breezes and that keeps the air a bit fresher. I lived in Bangkok years ago in a congested, traffic-choked area (Wong Wian Yai in Thonburi) and hated it. Moved to Chiang Mai (which is much better most times of year, but can be worse than BKK March-May) for 11 years and just moved back to the capital. This time around I found a neighbourhood where I find the air very tolerable.

Neighbourhoods that fit this description, and which are fairly close to MRT and/or BTS stations, include Yannawa and Sathorn (not right on Sathorn, which is horrendous, but well off in the smaller sois, eg off Soi Saint Louis, off Narathiwat, off Yen Akat). Around Nang Linchee, in Sathorn precinct near the Yannawa precinct line, isn't bad, ditto Yen Akat. Even Klong Toey has some quiet, fairly unpolluted sois. Stations near these areas include BTS Surasak, BTS Chong Nonsee, MRT Klong Toey. You'll have to expect a 15-min walk to these stations, because the stations themselves are always found along major thoroughfares. A quick motorcycle taxi connection to one of the stations is often an option.

There seems to be many BKK families relocating to Chonburi and Bang Saen and commuting or buying weekend places. It's fairly convenient to BKK, Pattaya, and the airport.

The downside is that not much English is spoken locally. Or maybe that's an upside.

Edited by bangsaenguy

It seems like some people do not have a problem in bk,is this due to living in different areas or stuck in an office all day then home to condo highstory.Why should i suffer the minute i arrive in bk and some people never suffer.I am not sensitive to smog or dust,and in fact i dont smoke and my lungs are perfect,as i had lung function tests every 6 months with my old job,which was the chemical industry.

First a quick recap for those that don't want to read the whole thread

I live in BKK and am very adversely effected by the pollution and need to move. I had been stuck here due to some annoying paperwork regarding a divorce from my ex wife.

My Fiance is Laos so I need to go where she is permitted in one year we will move to the USA. I am looking for suggestions for areas cleaner than BKK that have English and Thai language schooling as well as decent Internet speeds.

I now have successfully divorced completely from my ex wife and am now ready to move. I am actually in Udon Thani as I type this. I've taken a tour around Issan and while I really enjoy it and the pollution is lower I don't find myself compelled to live here. I also went to Laos and was impressed how clean it is but living in Laos even though my soon to be wife is Laos is not an option as studying Thai is still a top priority.

I am considering Chiang Mai but am concerned about the leaf burning. It seems it's more auto exhaust and emissions that effect me personally but maybe after living in CM this would get to me too? I have a friend in CM and he said it doesn't bother him but some older people are effected. I seem to have the respiratory system of an old man so I am worried. Some suggested Rayong but I've read there is a lot of industrial pollution there and even some problems with Denegue.

Another consideration is Hua Hin but I don't think there are any good Thai language or English language schools there. Am I wrong?

Phuket is also possible but again are there any good Thai and English schools there?

CM residents how does the leaf burning effect you?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Edited by wasabi

I've lived in Chiang Mai over 10 years, recently moved to Bangkok. In the neighborhood I live in now in BKK, the air quality is better than the air quality in Chiang Mai's old city, unquestionably. And during the burning season, the air in Chiang Mai is more intolerable than the same three months anywhere in Bangkok. However during that season, all of the upper north has equally bad air quality -- in fact Chiang Rai and Mae Hong Son are both worse than Chiang Mai.

The air quality on the islands is much better but then you have the constant humidity. If I were to choose somewhere in Thailand solely on the weather and air quality I'd go for a district in the mountains of western Tak. I couldn't take the boredom though. All in all I'm enjoying Bangkok more than ever -- but I avoid the more polluted areas. Ditto for Chiang Mai.

Try a few domiciles before committing. :o