Gondola Gone?

Gonzo the Face

Yup La Gondala is no more and closed at least 3 months ago and reason I believe was they didn't care for the increase in rent suggested by Rimping owners. There is another restaurant there now amd and only opened a week ago and they also serve Italian food as well as T bone steaks and other delights but yet to sample.

La Gondola also took a serious look at Gymkhana, to take over the food business there, but that did not work out. That was unfortunate because the Gymkhana is really lacking in all but Thai cooking (and there with only somewhat limited success).

If any other restaurateur would like to give it a go, then by all means, contact Gymkhana! Perhaps a lesson was learned from the first experience with La Gondola. There is good business to be had there, if presented properly.

By the way, someone who is interested should understand that a menu must include offerings of Thai (several offerings), European and some Japanese and Korean dishes. A golf club that attracts people from all sorts of places must cater to them; it can not succeed as an "Italian" restaurant, a "French" restaurant, a sushi bar, or a Korean noodle shop.

La Gondola also took a serious look at Gymkhana, to take over the food business there, but that did not work out. That was unfortunate because the Gymkhana is really lacking in all but Thai cooking (and there with only somewhat limited success).

If any other restaurateur would like to give it a go, then by all means, contact Gymkhana! Perhaps a lesson was learned from the first experience with La Gondola. There is good business to be had there, if presented properly.

By the way, someone who is interested should understand that a menu must include offerings of Thai (several offerings), European and some Japanese and Korean dishes. A golf club that attracts people from all sorts of places must cater to them; it can not succeed as an "Italian" restaurant, a "French" restaurant, a sushi bar, or a Korean noodle shop.

Talking of Gymkahana, I see that they have a sign up advertising land for rent. What's that all about?

Talking of Gymkahana, I see that they have a sign up advertising land for rent. What's that all about?

There is a large corner plot there (right on the intersection --- the "TREE" --- near the entrance of the club) that is a prime possibility for appropriate commercial exploitation.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a large corner plot there (right on the intersection --- the "TREE" --- near the entrance of the club) that is a prime possibility for appropriate commercial exploitation.

I thought the club was in negotiation with a hotel chain to rent the property to develop it ?

I thought the club was in negotiation with a hotel chain to rent the property to develop it ?

The hotel plan was scrapped. As it stands, they are getting the land dept in to measure properly and maybe mark out the land on the corner. When that is done the land for lease banner will re-appear.

The hotel plan was scrapped. As it stands, they are getting the land dept in to measure properly and maybe mark out the land on the corner. When that is done the land for lease banner will re-appear.

Whilst on the Gymkana Club, I saw sometime back that they were offering life memberships at a reasonable rate. I don't know just how many took advantage of the promotion other than the fact that when I contacted the club it (the promotion) was closed and they told me the regular joining fee and annual membership rates which I thought were way to expensive, hence the fact that I am still not a member.

If the club had a good sizeable membership (say a thousand or more) and had a good catering provider they should do well (leastaways I would be likely to visit a couple or three times a month) :o

Edited by john b good