Place Children On House Register Or Not?

I was having a discussion with a woman at our Thai temple today about her recent trip to Thailand and back. She said that she added her second child to her family's house register so that she could get a Thai passport for him. Her first child was already on the house register. The first child was born in Thailand, but the second one was born in the US. I asked her why she put him on the house register instead of getting a Thai birth certificate. Her response was that once in Thailand the process for getting a Thai birth certificate from a US birth certificate was not feasible - I'm not sure exactly why.

I have three children all born in the US. All three of them have both Thai and US birth certificates. They all have US passports but the oldest two also have Thai passports. My oldest is a son and I don't want him to have a Thai ID. I assumed that if I put him on a house register, then there would be a record for the Thai government to use to request him to perform military service. The woman at the temple said that this isn't the case. She told me that the request for military service can only happen if we get our son a Thai ID. So having his name in the house register is good for getting ready for a future Thai ID.

So my question is should we have all of our children on my in-law's house register or not? By the way, my other two children are girls. Additionally, would it be good for us to get Thai IDs for our two daughters? I already know that it is best not to get a Thai ID for my son at this time.

If born outside Thailand the Thai Embassy in the country has to issue a Thai birth certificate so much less trouble to just get passport at Embassy at the same time. It is very hard to do this from inside Thailand; but not sure how she got listed on home register without a birth certificate. I suspect she is right that the ID card is basis for service but perhaps someone who is sure can confirm. Believe there has been talk about issuing ID from a younger age recently as now it is a mess as have to carry birth certificates for local air travel; or obtain a passport.

If born outside Thailand the Thai Embassy in the country has to issue a Thai birth certificate so much less trouble to just get passport at Embassy at the same time. It is very hard to do this from inside Thailand; but not sure how she got listed on home register without a birth certificate. I suspect she is right that the ID card is basis for service but perhaps someone who is sure can confirm. Believe there has been talk about issuing ID from a younger age recently as now it is a mess as have to carry birth certificates for local air travel; or obtain a passport.

Thank you for the reply. I'm not sure that I'm remembering correctly, but I think she told me that she had the US embassy in Bangkok provide a certified translation of the US birth certificate in order to get her son born in the US onto her family's house register.

I told my wife about my conversation with our friend and my wife is convinced that the Thai government uses names that appear on the house register when it creates the lists of Thai military candidates.

I hope someone with some personal experience with this situation will contribute to this thread.