Intelligence, Skills And Knowledge: Thais And Farangs

srisatch

I would be interested in the views of others on the skills/knowledges/intelligences/cultures of their 'significant others'; of course I am a man writing about a woman.

My lovely wife, aged 30, mother of our two beautiful daughters, graduate of Thailand's premier university, from a family of learning, money and class………

1. Has never heard of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Westlife, Mao Zhe Dong, Stalin, Shakespeare, Madonna, Brad Pitt, Peter Pan, Phaulkon, Nuclear Power, Mr Obama, Einstein, The Grand Canyon, Antarctica and does not care

2. Thinks Algerians, Germans, Russians, Swedes, Americans etc.etc.are all the same….just Farang and blacks are black…and does not care

3. Cannot find the way, in Chiang Mai, in a car, from Doi Saket to Hang Dong, nor from Tapae Gate to the Airport. Can't read a map.

4. Can read and write English and French but can speak neither!

5. Can take a motorcycle entirely to bits and put it together again

6. Can cook 200+ dishes with no recourse to a cookery book

7. Has designed and had built, with, as far as I know, knowledge of neither architecture, structural principles, nor materials, a beautiful 250square metre house. She had the builder remove all the foundations and start again as she said to him: The cement looks too wet and you have not waited for it to dry……..which was about right.

8. Can cut and stitch together a dress with no pattern and no machine

9. Has driven from Rome to Lisbon and LA to Maine, without a driving license, and is indignant that ' Driving in Thailand is the nearest I have come to death'!

10. On the first leg of that voyage saw the Colosseum, Pont Du Gard, Barcelona, The Alhambra, etc. Just buildings. Just another Farang Country. Liked Fado, and Basque singing though.

11. After eating all kinds of restaurant and fast food in Europe…. Pizzas from Ask, Pizza Express etc wondered…why would Thai people eat that rubbish from Pizza Hut…..and then would never eat MacDonalds, Chester Grill, KFC ever again having thought, aged 20, they were the height of fashion.?

12. Says computers are boring, but can download 1000 songs onto a new Mobile without looking at the Manual

I could go on!! But why don't you!!?

Srisatch,

Already posted a few times in this topic, some things can get me on the tip of my chair sometimes, and this was one of the occasions.

I have the feeling that by having done so, in the way that I did, I maybe contributed to not really honouring this topic, which in my idea was written with a lot of insight, love, and acceptation for whatever it is that your partner does “ wrong” or is “different” at least in some western eyes. It looks to me that you turned it around/accepted/seen the positive side of it/whatever, or maybe just don’t think it is really all that big of a deal. ( My interpretation)

You would like to know the views of others on the skills/knowledge’s/intelligences/cultures of their ‘significant others’. Problem is, at least to me, that you have given some perfect examples. Which of course will not apply to everyone, but the general gist of it does. I enjoyed your post and hope your question will be answered.

:o

but judging from the terrible grammer I find it hard to really believe this guy has such an education. It's not that difficult to use full stops, is it really? I can not accept that some one with this level of grammer
.......... :o:D:D

Look, the culture is different. The values are different. Intellectual curiosity is not valued here. Serious people are not valued here, you know, the kind that reads difficult books and knows that not all farang countries are the same. What to do? Be amused.

Who are the "serious people" you? papirico?......... NOT! DO you seriously think that extensive travel and learning about different cultures makes you less ignorant?5555. I assume that you are well traveled like many members that use this forum and You have to be one of the most ignorant and arrogant members here. Thais don't care about the world around them! Good for them! They may be ignorant and lack knowledge in certain areas and most people who live here can tolerate that, but it is the arrogance or exaggerating ones importance that many farangs exhibit that most find intolerable and arrogance is largely a western trait, so it should come as no mystery to you as to why some Thais may think all "farang" countries are the same. Put that in your pipe and take a few puffs!

Haha, since you picked traveling i will school you in some facts ok boy.....first, I have a major in World history and a minor in psychology, meaning that I had to learn a lot in college about other countries etc, why things happend and what not,but if i never traveled than I could only assume these things I learned were true, but since i did travel (everywhere), you learn about different cultures,ways, social differences of the world,different mind sets and what not,if it was not for my traveling i would be IGNORANT about a lot of stuff.....and I am just talking about traveling, thats one of the things Thais lack, and dont let me start on what else they lack.....your post made no sense and you contracdidcted your self over and over, you must be half Thai your self. Stuck on stupid.

Most people who are ignorant are happy to be ignorant cause thats all the know, ignorance, thus the sayin, ignorance is bliss....

Oh please troll, Make no sense? Just look back at some of your posts ole boy! I graduated with a degree in Psychology and worked as a counselor for 10 years in the states before moving here. You may be book smart, but that's about it college boy! Major is world history???? Did you learn anything?You certainly don't know squat about Thailand. What do you know about the rest of the world? Are you typing away from your dorm room now?

The way you come off, I think it is fair to assume that your travel experience has been limited to the back of moms station wagon.

FYI: Born and raised in Boston. 100% Irish American chump. Now go learn something more than stupid!

You know I herd some where that its not were you are from but how you come, and you are coming just ignorant, and thats ok bro, I am 100% from NY bro, so I guess I have to one up you again,regardless of what you learned or your experiences your post lacks that, so just chill and relax, the whole Big Fonts and what not make no difference,i mean I obviusly struck a cord and you got all mad, relax boy, breath...breath....ok, so like i was saying, you can assume all you want, but the fact still remains that you made no sense in your posts,i set you straight, just learn from the experience, go back and read and make corrections, know what you are talking about and come back with something solid...ok boy? and i didnt know you were a "100% Irish American Chump". hahahahahahahahaha...so i guess i did learn something else then stupid, that you are a Irish chump.thanks.

I'm sorry, maybe I came off rather hostile papirico, but I am not angry with you. I think it is you that need a reality check, because it is you that makes no sense ole chump (I mean ole boy). Do not ask others to make corrections when you obviously lack even basic grammar skills yourself. The spell check icon should be to the right of your screen. Look for it. You're smart enough to find that aren't you college boy? It is obvious that you lack basic social skills and I do not hold that against you. I can only imagine what a tough life you must have. Trolls usually do. You setting anyone straight is laughable, . Remember it's "than stupid" not "then stupid". " I heard somewhere" not "herd some where". I hope this basic grammar lesson has helped you since I do not want you sounding "stupid" when you are writing your future meaningless posts.

If you need a course in Thai culture my Thai brother in laws would be happy to assist you so feel free to PM me! The next time you're in NY let me know. Boston is only 3 hours away. Southies love meeting people like you! Have a nice day! :o

Ok so you gonna hate on the way I type, its called SLANG, but you wouldnt know anything about that chump....and the truth is we dont have to wait till NY dude, we can do this right here you and your Brothers in law, come on so I can spank yall...take it to the streets boy.....NY style.and I am about to PM you too....talk to you soon chump.

YOu feeelng froggy?? then leap!!!!!!!hahahahahahahahaha

I think the problem is that the Thais are picking up all of our bad traits (materialism, violence etc.) and not picking up on the better ones (thinking, care for others outside their immediate family etc.)

Bound to happen though when a country discovers the wealth of others too quickly.

My GF and her best friend were over at my place in Singapore last weekend and we were watching the Olympics. With all the different nationalities competing, I decided to give them a little general knowledge test and am rather wishing I hadn’t. Even though they both have University degrees, the responses were alarming:

Where is Brazil?

I don’t know. Europe

What is their official language?

English? Brazilian?

Where is Austria?

Africa

What language do they speak?

Spanish

And it just went down hill from there…

Where is Switzerland?

America

Swedish?

My GF and her best friend were over at my place in Singapore last weekend and we were watching the Olympics. With all the different nationalities competing, I decided to give them a little general knowledge test and am rather wishing I hadn’t. Even though they both have University degrees, the responses were alarming:

Where is Brazil?

I don’t know. Europe

English? Brazilian?

Where is Austria?

Africa

Spanish

Where is Switzerland?

America

Swedish?

Cool. This is why Thais and Americans get on so well ...

Edited by Jingthing

My GF and her best friend were over at my place in Singapore last weekend and we were watching the Olympics. With all the different nationalities competing, I decided to give them a little general knowledge test and am rather wishing I hadn't. Even though they both have University degrees, the responses were alarming:

Where is Brazil?

I don't know. Europe

English? Brazilian?

Where is Austria?

Africa

Spanish

Where is Switzerland?

America

Swedish?

Cool. This is why Thais and Americans get on so well ...

:o:D:D I just sprayed the keyboard with green tea.

There are so many misunderstandings in this tread that it isn't even funny.

One guy talks about how he is "not superior or more intelligent" and bla bla.

Being intelligent or not is not a matter of wish, belief, feeling supirior or inferior. It is like height - something that is measurable. If someone says "I am tall" - does that mean that he must consider himself supirior? No of course not! He is just tall - it is a fact and has nothign to do with feeling supirior or inferior. If someone is intelligent and says so - it equally has nothign to do with feeling supirior or not.

Also, factual knowledge such as what is the capital of Singapore - is no proof whether someone is intelligent or not. This is rather an indication of knowledge than intelligence. Secondly, individual stories about "I know someone who.." are useless to prove anything. If someone says to me "Mexicans are shorter than Americans", have I then proven that he is wrong if I know a Mexican who is taller than an American? Of course not.

I would be interested in the views of others on the skills/knowledges/intelligences/cultures of their 'significant others'; of course I am a man writing about a woman.

My lovely wife, aged 30, mother of our two beautiful daughters, graduate of Thailand's premier university, from a family of learning, money and class………

1. Has never heard of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Westlife, Mao Zhe Dong, Stalin, Shakespeare, Madonna, Brad Pitt, Peter Pan, Phaulkon, Nuclear Power, Mr Obama, Einstein, The Grand Canyon, Antarctica and does not care

2. Thinks Algerians, Germans, Russians, Swedes, Americans etc.etc.are all the same….just Farang and blacks are black…and does not care

3. Cannot find the way, in Chiang Mai, in a car, from Doi Saket to Hang Dong, nor from Tapae Gate to the Airport. Can't read a map.

4. Can read and write English and French but can speak neither!

5. Can take a motorcycle entirely to bits and put it together again

6. Can cook 200+ dishes with no recourse to a cookery book

7. Has designed and had built, with, as far as I know, knowledge of neither architecture, structural principles, nor materials, a beautiful 250square metre house. She had the builder remove all the foundations and start again as she said to him: The cement looks too wet and you have not waited for it to dry……..which was about right.

8. Can cut and stitch together a dress with no pattern and no machine

9. Has driven from Rome to Lisbon and LA to Maine, without a driving license, and is indignant that ' Driving in Thailand is the nearest I have come to death'!

10. On the first leg of that voyage saw the Colosseum, Pont Du Gard, Barcelona, The Alhambra, etc. Just buildings. Just another Farang Country. Liked Fado, and Basque singing though.

11. After eating all kinds of restaurant and fast food in Europe…. Pizzas from Ask, Pizza Express etc wondered…why would Thai people eat that rubbish from Pizza Hut…..and then would never eat MacDonalds, Chester Grill, KFC ever again having thought, aged 20, they were the height of fashion.?

12. Says computers are boring, but can download 1000 songs onto a new Mobile without looking at the Manual

I could go on!! But why don't you!!?

THis is a joke -right?

If not it's an apalling piece of prejudice.

Edited by kedawi

Look, the culture is different. The values are different. Intellectual curiosity is not valued here. Serious people are not valued here, you know, the kind that reads difficult books and knows that not all farang countries are the same. What to do? Be amused.

Who are the "serious people" you? papirico?......... NOT! DO you seriously think that extensive travel and learning about different cultures makes you less ignorant?5555. I assume that you are well traveled like many members that use this forum and You have to be one of the most ignorant and arrogant members here. Thais don't care about the world around them! Good for them! They may be ignorant and lack knowledge in certain areas and most people who live here can tolerate that, but it is the arrogance or exaggerating ones importance that many farangs exhibit that most find intolerable and arrogance is largely a western trait, so it should come as no mystery to you as to why some Thais may think all "farang" countries are the same. Put that in your pipe and take a few puffs!

Haha, since you picked traveling i will school you in some facts ok boy.....first, I have a major in World history and a minor in psychology, meaning that I had to learn a lot in college about other countries etc, why things happend and what not,but if i never traveled than I could only assume these things I learned were true, but since i did travel (everywhere), you learn about different cultures,ways, social differences of the world,different mind sets and what not,if it was not for my traveling i would be IGNORANT about a lot of stuff.....and I am just talking about traveling, thats one of the things Thais lack, and dont let me start on what else they lack.....your post made no sense and you contracdidcted your self over and over, you must be half Thai your self. Stuck on stupid.

Most people who are ignorant are happy to be ignorant cause thats all the know, ignorance, thus the sayin, ignorance is bliss....

Oh please troll, Make no sense? Just look back at some of your posts ole boy! I graduated with a degree in Psychology and worked as a counselor for 10 years in the states before moving here. You may be book smart, but that's about it college boy! Major is world history???? Did you learn anything?You certainly don't know squat about Thailand. What do you know about the rest of the world? Are you typing away from your dorm room now?

The way you come off, I think it is fair to assume that your travel experience has been limited to the back of moms station wagon.

FYI: Born and raised in Boston. 100% Irish American chump. Now go learn something more than stupid!

You know I herd some where that its not were you are from but how you come, and you are coming just ignorant, and thats ok bro, I am 100% from NY bro, so I guess I have to one up you again,regardless of what you learned or your experiences your post lacks that, so just chill and relax, the whole Big Fonts and what not make no difference,i mean I obviusly struck a cord and you got all mad, relax boy, breath...breath....ok, so like i was saying, you can assume all you want, but the fact still remains that you made no sense in your posts,i set you straight, just learn from the experience, go back and read and make corrections, know what you are talking about and come back with something solid...ok boy? and i didnt know you were a "100% Irish American Chump". hahahahahahahahaha...so i guess i did learn something else then stupid, that you are a Irish chump.thanks.

I'm sorry, maybe I came off rather hostile papirico, but I am not angry with you. I think it is you that need a reality check, because it is you that makes no sense ole chump (I mean ole boy). Do not ask others to make corrections when you obviously lack even basic grammar skills yourself. The spell check icon should be to the right of your screen. Look for it. You're smart enough to find that aren't you college boy? It is obvious that you lack basic social skills and I do not hold that against you. I can only imagine what a tough life you must have. Trolls usually do. You setting anyone straight is laughable, . Remember it's "than stupid" not "then stupid". " I heard somewhere" not "herd some where". I hope this basic grammar lesson has helped you since I do not want you sounding "stupid" when you are writing your future meaningless posts.

If you need a course in Thai culture my Thai brother in laws would be happy to assist you so feel free to PM me! The next time you're in NY let me know. Boston is only 3 hours away. Southies love meeting people like you! Have a nice day! :o

Ok so you gonna hate on the way I type, its called SLANG, but you wouldnt know anything about that chump....and the truth is we dont have to wait till NY dude, we can do this right here you and your Brothers in law, come on so I can spank yall...take it to the streets boy.....NY style.and I am about to PM you too....talk to you soon chump.

To you PapiRico.Have you ever been to where the sun don't shine???Mayby you should go there!!!

Hey man, Make peace no war, not even verbally :o. Cool thais are cool, that's all I am concerned about. I'd say calling Thai people being stupid is quite ignorant. Someone here in this threat was saying something really true about 'Social Intelligence', it's something the Thais very much understand (at least the non-affected Soi Cowboy ones). That's something to hold for value. Every person is prone to make mistakes and in some way everyone, including me and you, is ignortant. Cause, no matter how much you learn, be sure to realise that you only know so little of the incredible extensive amount of knowledge present in this universe. Surely, the Ancient Tribes of the Andaman are fascinating kinds of people, possessing particular knowledge you and me do not hold. That makes us ignorant.

Cheers

If you need a course in Thai culture my Thai brother in laws would be happy to assist you so feel free to PM me! The next time you're in NY let me know. Boston is only 3 hours away. Southies love meeting people like you! Have a nice day! :D

To you PapiRico.Have you ever been to where the sun don't shine???Mayby you should go there!!!

Oh please, :o

You want me to bust a cap in yo ass?

i hate saying this as i love thailand and my thai familly ,but after 17 years of working ,driving and generally dealing with Thai people of all classes,i have come to the conclusion that i have things growing in my garden that are more inteligent than most thai people .

i hate saying this as i love thailand and my thai familly ,but after 17 years of working ,driving and generally dealing with Thai people of all classes,i have come to the conclusion that i have things growing in my garden that are more inteligent than most thai people .

Harsh...... But fair. :o

Intelligence: even experts cannot agree what it is, or how to measure it.

Thais are trained to think differently, not think as much, not talk as much. We talk like Babble-onians.

Geographical knowledge is not as useful as we think it is. Just because we moved halfway around the world does not mean we are smart

Slang?

From the Cambridge English Dictionary:

slang (INFORMAL LANGUAGE)

noun

very informal language that is usually spoken rather than written, used especially by particular groups of people

Slang does not imply misspelling nor the absence of correct punctuation. All evidence suggests that this word "chump" that you like to bandy around so freely is a more appropriate reference to yourself than anyone else. University educated? Bought the certificate on Khao San Road did you?

Thais are trained to think differently, not think as much, not talk as much. We talk like Babble-onians.

Well, then we live in two separate/parallel Thailands or know 2 different groups of species there of!

And then, not how much they talk but what the talking is all about....it's usually as interesting as white canvas...

So the IQ tests are all rubbish are they? :D

@the OP:

You failed to tell the audience how long it took her from Rome to Portugal via the Alhambra! :D

much of the other points you brought up are a bit ridiculous or you still very much in love! :o