Thai Girlfriend

I have heard many stories of Farangs falling in love with Thai girls after a relatively short period of time then preparing to bring them over to the UK.

My wife (g/f as she was) asked whether I would give her money to stay at home and wait for my return following my request for her to go home from working in the bar. It wasn't a great sum of money (potentially about £50 per month). She had lost an income and so I agreed to accept some responsibility for this. I thought about it for some time as I had heard stories of girls continuing to work in a bar whilst gratefully receiving money from their hapless Frang.

The solution I thought of:

I named my girlriend, as she was then, as a second card holder on one of my credit cards, at the same time as calling the bank to reduce the credit limit to a modest £300. I received the card and sent it out to her.

The benefit - I could see by my credit card statement exactly where the money was withdrawn from. It also allowed me to see patterns of withdrawals from the card and, of course was cheaper than Wester Union.

A slight risk but when she arrived in the UK she could pay it back herself

JUst one of the safety measures I put in place

I needn't have worried - Everything workd out great

RobLPL

Not to put a damper on your plan, but what if she never used the card except when she was home. :o Or she gave the card to one of her family or mates in the village to withdraw dosh when she was out of the village for her? :D

Edited by britmaveric

Not to put a damper on your plan, but what if she never used the card except when she was home. :o Or she gave the card to one of her family or mates in the village to withdraw dosh when she was out of the village for her? :D

Or even her Thai fella who was getting 3000thb a month in his mitt for lao koa whisky.....

But in all seriousness, well done, good thinking and goodluck! :D

Or even her Thai fella who was getting 3000thb a month in his mitt for lao koa whisky.....

Hi,

Sorry mate but if I was worried enough to resort to checking up on a woman she would have been history,

Roy gsd

Sorry to burst the bubble, but you said you gave her a credit card so you could check where she was using it? Is that not checking up on her?

I hope it all goes well in all honesty and I mean I am sure she is loyal just pointing out a fact.

Goodluck :D

Hi,

Sorry mate but if I was worried enough to resort to checking up on a woman she would have been history,

Roy gsd

Hi,

Roy gsd

I respectfully disagree with this statement. Never, ever, ever trust anyone 100%. It is your responsibility to look out for number "1" at all times, but not intentionally at the expense of others if it can be at all avoided. Given the cultural difference aspect and that of the Thai culture where deception and lying are an acceptable behavior, I believe it is an acceptable behavior to place checks and balances in place to not only protect one's physical and emotional health but also one's assets. Plenty of Thais have been deceived by Farang's too, so the message is just as pertinent for them also.

The results could very well be positive and prove the person in question is honest and trustworthy to the point you are satisfied and comfortable but ALWAYS keep your eyes and ears open when dealing with any person from any culture.

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

I agree I thnk with Rob if the trust is not there I do not think I would want to go with with the relationship.

I also think that the vast majority of Thai girls dont want to scam that much but I do think that there are quite a few that do and also there is no social taboo with having several farangs in order to mantain a living so I guess the credit card thing can be a good thing

I have heard many stories of Farangs falling in love with Thai girls after a relatively short period of time then preparing to bring them over to the UK.

My wife (g/f as she was) asked whether I would give her money to stay at home and wait for my return following my request for her to go home from working in the bar. It wasn't a great sum of money (potentially about £50 per month). She had lost an income and so I agreed to accept some responsibility for this. I thought about it for some time as I had heard stories of girls continuing to work in a bar whilst gratefully receiving money from their hapless Frang.

I named my girlriend, as she was then, as a second card holder on one of my credit cards, at the same time as calling the bank to reduce the credit limit to a modest £300. I received the card and sent it out to her.

The benefit - I could see by my credit card statement exactly where the money was withdrawn from. It also allowed me to see patterns of withdrawals from the card and, of course was cheaper than Wester Union.

RobLPL

Im sorry dude, but that really just sums up how pathetic your situation is.

Good luck in your relationship and please come on here and tell us what a wonderful lady you have.You had the courage to follow your instinct and now you have a great girl.To be honest i would not have done what you did,but it worked for you so forget some of these dicks on here, listen to the genuine ones who congratulate you on your happy life.

RobLPL

Im sorry dude, but that really just sums up how pathetic your situation is.

What's so pathetic about a guy marrying his girlfriend and having a 'great' married life?

I find this post a troll, its a bit like saying " keeping an eye on your dog " .why would anyone want to stay with a woman that they think this of, .....rediculous :o and as for this "A slight risk but when she arrived in the UK she could pay it back herself " good luck,.

Edited by imaneggspurt

Putting the trust issue aside, I think the OP has a great solution to what is likely a common problem. That being, how can you keep your girlfriend/wife in spending money while you need to be away.

For the purposes of discussion, take the following scenario:

Farang husband needs to go outside Thailand working for one month. He calculates out how much money the wife will need for the month, for such things as pay the rent, pay the light and water bill, a reasonable amount for food each day, a bit extra for some holiday, a little shopping money, etc. He gives the wife that amount of money before departing for his out-of-country trip.

The Thai wife will:

a) Use the money as needed, paying the bills when due holding on to the extra

:o Go shopping the next day, holiday with a few of her friends that evening, the next time the husband calls she will ask for more money.

Any guesses as to what the answer will be, most often?

I have done a similar thing with an ATM card on my USA bank. I opened a savings account with an ATM card that has access *only* to that account...the wife has that card. My ATM card can access all of my accounts.

I just go online and move money into the "wife" account as needed. It only took one time of her sitting for a few days with 200 THB available to learn that it does not hurt for money to stay in the bank.

This may sound a little tough, but not under any circumstance would I have a bar girl (current or ex) as a girlfriend/wife. Yes I know there would be a few decent ones among them, but I just would not bother taking the chance. And also, if I felt I had to check up on her (in other words didn't trust her) I wouldn't have any meaning/long term relationship with her anyhow. I mean what's the point.

This may sound a little tough, but not under any circumstance would I have a bar girl (current or ex) as a girlfriend/wife. Yes I know there would be a few decent ones among them, but I just would not bother taking the chance. And also, if I felt I had to check up on her (in other words didn't trust her) I wouldn't have any meaning/long term relationship with her anyhow. I mean what's the point.

barky,

I think the point is, at least my point, given the circumstances I don't think it is unreasonable to keep one's eyes open in the beginning until one is comfortable in continuing with the relationship. The concept really is no different than entering into a relationship with someone in your own culture and in your own community. No man, or woman for that matter, can claim they blindly just have a relationship and NEVER at some level or method do some checking, following up or monitoring for suspicious activity of their significant other. Even if it means an occasional drive by their place of residence. Something as small as that is considered checking up so every man and woman does it at some point. If there is a man out there that is so blind about relationships and you have money, I have a girl for you! If you are a woman with money, let's meet! That's my point.

I do agree with the high risk factor surrounding bar girls so I would never get involved with one either, not for more than a couple hours that is! Well, I am happily married to a wonderful Thai lady and even the two hour option is out for me!

Regards,

Martian

Edited by Martian

barky,

I think the point is, at least my point, given the circumstances I don't think it is unreasonable to keep one's eyes open in the beginning until one is comfortable in continuing with the relationship. The concept really is no different than entering into a relationship with someone in your own culture and in your own community. No man, or woman for that matter, can claim they blindly just have a relationship and NEVER at some level or method do some checking, following up or monitoring for suspicious activity of their significant other. Even if it means an occasional drive by their place of residence. Something as small as that is considered checking up so every man and woman does it at some point. If there is a man out there that is so blind about relationships and you have money, I have a girl for you! If you are a woman with money, let's meet! That's my point.

I do agree with the high risk factor surrounding bar girls so I would never get involved with one either, not for more than a couple hours that is! Well, I am happily married to a wonderful Thai lady and even the two hour option is out for me!

Regards,

Martian

A civilised and reasoned response to some posts that were less than honest and quite rude. Life is a gamble but in love all bets are off. Everyone has their beliefs and opinions but this post is gracious enough to realise this despite the tone of some of the responses.

But shouldn't this really be is some 'relationships' forum?

Edited by NanLaew