Motorbike "business" On Samui?

bubu

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

many recommendations in this thread ... thanks a lot.

i will be on samui not before november, but for sure, i will visit some of the here mentioned rental companies and ask for prices and conditions. renting a fino without passport would be great ... i think i would pay 10.000 for a fino, because i love it :o:D

ok, to be honest, in pattaya i always rented a light blue or a pink fino ... this looks gay, but who cares? :D:D

just for the record: a Yamaha FINO is technically identical to a MIO. it just looks a bit different from the outside.

but anyway, have a good ride :-)

• 1 month later...
Update ;-)

Did anyone see a Fino around Chaweng or Lamai?

I still need information about rental companies offering Yamaha Fino!

The Monkey House in Lamai has Yamaha Finos for rent (Just down from Lamai Muay Thai stadium). All fairly new with extras. We rented a black one with mag wheels, chrome bits etc 3500b for the month.

• 2 weeks later...
Try the french guy in Maenam, I forgot his name..

There's only 1 French Guy in Maenam ?? :D

I suppose there is only one who has "Rent A Bike" business. Do you remember his name?

Francois ?? Jaques ?? Pepe Le Peau ??

:D

His names James now lives in Bophut hes a S@#T dont rent off him! :o

Try the french guy in Maenam, I forgot his name..

There's only 1 French Guy in Maenam ?? :D

I suppose there is only one who has "Rent A Bike" business. Do you remember his name?r you

Francois ?? Jaques ?? Pepe Le Peau ??

:D

His names James now lives in Bophut hes a S@#T dont rent off him! :o

Better, you would take care about you "f&b career"...

• 1 year later...

hi.

my thai wife have 3 bikes. we decided to start renting them to some friends of mine .does anybody know what exactly she has to do for everything to be legal?what paperwork we need?where we have to go? Her Thai friends told us that except the books and the insurance we've got we don't need nothing else! is it true?

Look at any Government website, never, Never, NEVER leave your passport ANYWHERE with ANYONE as security for ANYTHING.

In any case, it is illegal in Thailand not to carry your passport at all times.

I´ve runned a motorbike renting buisness for the last 2 years and during this time i rented a motorbike without passport deposit only once (except for people i know very well), and that is the one rental during this time i did not get paid for. Infact i think i was lucky to even get the bike back. Leagal or not, anybody leaving expensive products to unknown people without a proper deposit is an idiot. And the only fair deposit from a tourist is the passport. The alternative would be taking the value of the bike as deposit and i seriously doubt anyone would prefer this.

hi.

my thai wife have 3 bikes. we decided to start renting them to some friends of mine .does anybody know what exactly she has to do for everything to be legal?what paperwork we need?where we have to go? Her Thai friends told us that except the books and the insurance we've got we don't need nothing else! is it true?

And another thing. Carry your passport on you at all times??? :o:D:D

Are you serious?

I sometimes brought a copy with me i my pocket when i was a tourist but never for the life of me would i walk around with my passport in soi green mango or at a market. I seriously doubt the general tourist would do that either. I know on a policemans request you are supposed to show your passport, i´ve been asked to do so myself and they never had any problems with me not carrying it around. Even Bangkok police. I´ve had costumers that came to me with the police because they needed to show their passport. Showed them and leave it back to me. No problems.

Edited by rainforest29

Some motorcycle rental places on Samui take a deposit, perhaps 3000 baht, instead of your passport. You really have to take it easy when using a motorcycle on Samui. There is a high rate of accidents. Have seen some nasty scrapes and a friend of mine got badly damaged there.

It's very easy to get carried away. Take it easy.

i have read on here that people renting motorbikes ask for a deposit. Basically theres no good reason for this. its enough tp leave a copy of your passport and sign a contract.

Very foolish to leave your actual passport and very unneccesary.

i have read on here that people renting motorbikes ask for a deposit. Basically theres no good reason for this. its enough tp leave a copy of your passport and sign a contract.

A copy of the passport is worthless if the customer damages the bike and simply gets on the next boat/plane and leaves. The police certainly would do nothing if the renter has left without paying for damages etc. I'm in the bike rental business and ask for passport OR cash deposit, if they don't want to give either they don't get a bike, as happened yesterday, no problem. Many times I refuse to rent a vehicle if the person looks incompetent on a scooter, I'm also particular about who I allow to rent my ATVs, I don't want the hassle of trying to recoup the cost of damage to 300k Baht vehicles.

I know that the bike rental business can sometimes have a bad reputation for scams etc but on the other side of the coin I've lost count of the amount of times the "honest" customer has tried to screw me over.

A copy of the passport is worthless if the customer damages the bike and simply gets on the next boat/plane and leaves. The police certainly would do nothing if the renter has left without paying for damages etc. I'm in the bike rental business and ask for passport OR cash deposit, if they don't want to give either they don't get a bike, as happened yesterday, no problem. Many times I refuse to rent a vehicle if the person looks incompetent on a scooter, I'm also particular about who I allow to rent my ATVs, I don't want the hassle of trying to recoup the cost of damage to 300k Baht vehicles.

I know that the bike rental business can sometimes have a bad reputation for scams etc but on the other side of the coin I've lost count of the amount of times the "honest" customer has tried to screw me over.

I understand what you are saying. The problem also is there are certain individuals here who are out to scam you from the start. i can think of one particular old git who conned one of my friends. Some old toothless loser by all accounts.

My point is if you have a copy of passport surely the authorities can notify immigration and passport control so they are stopped trying to leave. These are the guys that are always on overstay aswell, living here just poncing and stealing off honest good willed people.

Edited by carmine

My point is if you have a copy of passport surely the authorities can notify immigration and passport control so they are stopped trying to leave. These are the guys that are always on overstay aswell, living here just poncing and stealing off honest good willed people.

No, you need to take the case to civil court first.

This should take you only 3-4 years, then you can ask immigrations to stop them at the border.

a big :thumbsup:

it is ILLEGAL to take the Passport as a pawn!

MUCH better to take a safety deposit in cash, CC-number for withdrawal etc.

And CLEARLY mark the bikes as RENTAL Bikes,Phone Number, Shop Name..!

There is some Rental "Club Organization" on Samui, which issues stickers, on which there is a central phone number (097959464) one can register the bikes with this organization and they won't be allowed onto the ferry...

Edited by Samuian

There is some Rental "Club" which issues stickers, on which there is a central phone number one can register the bikes with this organization and they won't be allowed onto the ferry...

This has been out of business for almost two years.