Korat Driving Licence Office

nidge

MODS please do not move this to the motoring forum. I don't want to know where everyone else got theirs. The question has been asked more than once in that forum and has been left unanswered, (or the search function is a pile of bovine dung).

Hello Issan peoples,

I am hoping to get my Thai drivers licence in the next few days. I have all the paperwork but i don't know where the Korat licensing office is. The Chaiyaphum office insists you need a WP to get a licence so i can't go there.

I know it's on the road from Korat to Chaiyaphum, somewhere near Non Thai, but i have driven down there and i can't locate it.

Thanks,

Nidge

MODS please do not move this to the motoring forum. I don't want to know where everyone else got theirs. The question has been asked more than once in that forum and has been left unanswered, (or the search function is a pile of bovine dung).

Hello Issan peoples,

I am hoping to get my Thai drivers licence in the next few days. I have all the paperwork but i don't know where the Korat licensing office is. The Chaiyaphum office insists you need a WP to get a licence so i can't go there.

I know it's on the road from Korat to Chaiyaphum, somewhere near Non Thai, but i have driven down there and i can't locate it.

Thanks,

Nidge

It's located in Jo Hor, the suburb of Korat that is located at the first traffic light you see after Non Thai (coming from Chaiyaphum). The license place would be on the right hand side shortly after you pass the big bypass road that goes North to Khon Kaen or south to Korat. Only problem I see that you might have is if this is the first time you are getting a license they may say you have to get it in Chaiyaphum because you live in Chaiyaphum. I know you can renew it in Korat.

I got my first licence from the office in Korat despite my closest one being in Prakonchai, I just happened to be at immigration that day..... the Prakonchai office were totally useless i.e. not having the faintest idea what the rules were. The Korat office were great, nice friendly people and supplied me with a licence with exactly the same paperwork I had tried to use earlier.

I got my licence today. In fact i got two licences as they decided i should have a bike licence too. After they discovered the AA stamps in my international licence meant Automobile Association and not AA - BB - CC (?????) then there were no problems. I had to get photocopies of my documents as i needed a seperate set for the bike licence and that was done for free. I think the whole process, including a trival indor driving and vision, test took about 40 minutes and cost 360 baht.

By the way, i had to get a residence certificate from Korat immigration, it cost 9 baht, (again for photocopies), and was done in 20 minutes. The staff were happy and smiling as they always seem to be in that immigration office.

There is also a "driving license office" on the 224 between Korat and Chok Chai. My wife renewed her licenses there after changing her last name to mine. It seemed to go pretty well, not too much runaround.

I have not renewed my licenses yet, even though they have expired...I will tackle that after my extension of stay meeting next week. Hopefully I will have a successful update to this thread after the first of September.

I got my licence today. In fact i got two licences as they decided i should have a bike licence too. After they discovered the AA stamps in my international licence meant Automobile Association and not AA - BB - CC (?????) then there were no problems. I had to get photocopies of my documents as i needed a seperate set for the bike licence and that was done for free. I think the whole process, including a trival indor driving and vision, test took about 40 minutes and cost 360 baht.

By the way, i had to get a residence certificate from Korat immigration, it cost 9 baht, (again for photocopies), and was done in 20 minutes. The staff were happy and smiling as they always seem to be in that immigration office.

Thanks for the update. Good to know that they will do first time licenses even if your address is in another area. And thought you knew that you would need a "residence certificate", either from immigration or your embassy. The "crazy" people in Bua Yai office would only accept the embassy paper a few years ago. God, I hated them! Korat Immigration is GREAT! :o