Olympics Boxing Conspiracy

jeffer

According to this news item there is a conspiracy to ensure boxers from Thailand get "unfriendly judges"

Thai flyweight Amnat wasn't happy with the judges either. I don't know a lot about boxing but watching the Amnat fight the other night he was hopeless. Most of the fight both boxers were just shadow boxing with the Mongolian fighter landing the odd punch. How anyone can think the fight may have been "fixed" by the judges amazes me. The Thai fighter was simply not good enough against an opponent who wasn't a whole lot better. Should be interesting when the Thai ABA president returns to Thailand and reveals all about the "traitors" :o

According to this news item there is a conspiracy to ensure boxers from Thailand get "unfriendly judges"

Thai flyweight Amnat wasn't happy with the judges either. I don't know a lot about boxing but watching the Amnat fight the other night he was hopeless. Most of the fight both boxers were just shadow boxing with the Mongolian fighter landing the odd punch. How anyone can think the fight may have been "fixed" by the judges amazes me. The Thai fighter was simply not good enough against an opponent who wasn't a whole lot better. Should be interesting when the Thai ABA president returns to Thailand and reveals all about the "traitors" :o

I think more importantly is the overall scoring system is a farce. There are times when clearly a punch lands, no point, and then in a flurry, where nothing lands, the judges award a point.

A group of us were watching the other night and were just perplexed by the scoring. I don't believe it is so much a "conspiracy" as it is the complete inaccuracy of the scoring system.

Usual blame culture of Thai sports people. :o

Bit like many Premier League football managers. :D

Seriously though. I know nothing about football and have not watched any of it but some colleagues were discussing the earlier rounds and the concensus of opinion was that the scoring system was a farce and a lottery.

Usual blame culture of Thai sports people. :o

Bit like many Premier League football managers. :D

Seriously though. I know nothing about football and have not watched any of it but some colleagues were discussing the earlier rounds and the concensus of opinion was that the scoring system was a farce and a lottery.

Thailand Aports Authorities are notorious at crying foul when they don't do well. Good examples in Tiger Cup matches (Football), and the usual nonsense that goes with the SEA Games. Have very little time for sports people who find numerous reasons as to why they lost. As for Boxing, that's always been open for some dodgy decisions, however it's pretty unlikely that there is a worldwide IOC conspiracy against Thai boxers. Load of <deleted> IMO.

Aye. I think it's the President of the Thai Amateur Boxing Association who's been on TV the last couple of mornings talking about this. He hasn't come up with any reasons why there should be a conspiracy. He makes the odd good point about some of the discrepancies in the scoring system. But this morning he went on and on about if the judging is fair, the Thais are guaranteed to win because they beat these guys by so many points last time, the opponents haven't improved blah blah. If they don't win it must be rigged etc. etc. Nothing sporting about the man whatsoever.

Glad the Thai guys won though. And to be fair to the Thai boxing authorities, the political pressure on them is enormous. If Thailand comes back without any boxing golds, they'll be the ones held responsible and probably get kicked out. So, they've got to get the 'We wuz robbed' line ready. Bet the man wouldn't be saying that in English to any no-Thai media though - very much for home consumption, I think.

Its obvious why the thai boxers arent good enough.

1/there is only one of them

2/no sticks and bricks

3/no knife or machete

4/no guns

funny and sadly true.

Thai Olympic boxers looked scrappy to me. They milk the scoring system rather well. They get in a roundhouse jab (not solid direct punches) and then, if they're ahead, they're adept at avoiding the other boxer. Sometimes the opponent is literally running after the slippery Thai 'fighter' who won't stand and fight. Thai fighters are also adept at locking opponents' lower arms under their (the Thai's) armpits - another effective way of running out the clock.

• 2 weeks later...