House Ants

William Osborne

We always had house ants but lately have got out of control.

Seem to be up in the roof and come down in various places. They even form a colony all the way out to the gate to the rubbish bins.

Tried all the usual canned sprays and powder but no real effect.

Anybody got any ideas or name of a company who can zap them. Wife used to get a guy who used to spray some kind of petrol mixture but i wasn't keen on that for obvious reasons..

cheers

Cypermethrin, which is a stick of white Chalk you can buy at most local market for about five(5) baht. Most any shop that sell pet food/pet supplies(dog collars,flea spray etc). Good stuff, sure beat that smelly old spray and more effective in controlling the pesky little thing. Just be sure to keep out of reach of young children(1 thru 6 years old) :o

the miracle of ants.sometimes i can boil the kettle and pour water on the coffee granules and the bleeders come out of the boiling water and some are still alive.experts say that if there was a nuclear war only ants would survive.

I also always had the problem that there would be ants somewhere,mostly in the kitchen.When I went to europe for a few weeks in june I bought here in the supermarket 2 spray bottles of baygon 15.Just before I went into the taxi I emptied both bottles allover the house include in the loft.I came back end of june and as of today i haven't seen 1 ant yet.

If there is a very small amount of sugar or food crumbs around, guaranteed within a few minutes it will be infested with ants, they even love the dead cockeroaches. The ants that come out from my ceiling and down the wall, I spray them and they stay away for a couple of weeks. Why do they follow eachother in an exact line? they dont do that in the UK... it puzzles me.

If there is a very small amount of sugar or food crumbs around, guaranteed within a few minutes it will be infested with ants, they even love the dead cockeroaches. The ants that come out from my ceiling and down the wall, I spray them and they stay away for a couple of weeks. Why do they follow eachother in an exact line? they dont do that in the UK... it puzzles me.

Maybe they are army ants! :o

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week.

Cypermethrin, which is a stick of white Chalk you can buy at most local market for about five(5) baht. Most any shop that sell pet food/pet supplies(dog collars,flea spray etc). Good stuff, sure beat that smelly old spray and more effective in controlling the pesky little thing. Just be sure to keep out of reach of young children(1 thru 6 years old) :o

It doesn't take long for the ants to find an alternative path around the chalk.

I think the best method is to make sure there's nothing around to tempt them.

I burnt down my entire house and they still survived. I guess I will just go live them now.... :o

I remember working for a company before actually moving to LOS. In this company we had a dept laptop that was used by whoever was traveling at the time. When not in use it was assigned to our Data Engr who kept it up to date with our latest test software and applications needed for travel. Every time he received it back from one of us who traveled to LOS he used to come and bitch to us about having his desk infected with tiny little ants. I think they liked the warmth of the laptop or else eating the crumbs of the sweets that I perhaps dropped in the keyboard. :D

I read somewhere about a poor family (in Indonesia I think?) whose house had a big problem with ants. They could live with it but didn't want them all over their food. So they put the four legs of their table into small bowls filled with water. The ants can't swim, and so the table with their dinner on it remained clean and virtually ant-free. I don't know if that would work in Thailand, but it may be worth keeping in mind.

I read somewhere about a poor family (in Indonesia I think?) whose house had a big problem with ants. They could live with it but didn't want them all over their food. So they put the four legs of their table into small bowls filled with water. The ants can't swim, and so the table with their dinner on it remained clean and virtually ant-free. I don't know if that would work in Thailand, but it may be worth keeping in mind.

My in laws in Isaan do this for the racks in their kitchen.