Internship In Thailand

I am a last years student at the University of Rotterdam.

I have found an internship at a marketing agency in Bangkok.

Now I would like to go there but it seems I have ran into a brickwall if it comes to working permits.

The marketing agency says it has reached it's quota of work permits for foreigners.

Now I am curious if I do need a work permit because I am there for educational reasons, and if I do need it, if there is a way around the quota because of my short stay (4 months) and lack of salary.

I heard and ready many times about these exceptions but no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. How to approach this and handle it?

Thank you in advance!

I am a last years student at the University of Rotterdam.

I have found an internship at a marketing agency in Bangkok.

Now I would like to go there but it seems I have ran into a brickwall if it comes to working permits.

The marketing agency says it has reached it's quota of work permits for foreigners.

Now I am curious if I do need a work permit because I am there for educational reasons, and if I do need it, if there is a way around the quota because of my short stay (4 months) and lack of salary.

I heard and ready many times about these exceptions but no one seems to be able to give me a definitive answer. How to approach this and handle it?

Thank you in advance!

The Labour Department will definitely consider this as work, even though you are not being paid.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if WP would be needed and he can't go on an visa based on education.

It is my understanding that some dive operators have people "working" for them who they train as dive masters, etc. They are here on an educational visa and considered interns. Might be worth looking into.

OP can have a look at this link (in Dutch) and read post nr. 7.

http://www.wereldwijzer.nl/showthread.php?...7147#post307147

Might be usefull to contact the poster.

Reason edit: added link and info.

Edited by Mario2008

Not sure if WP would be needed and he can't go on an visa based on education.

It is my understanding that some dive operators have people "working" for them who they train as dive masters, etc. They are here on an educational visa and considered interns. Might be worth looking into.

OP can have a look at this link (in Dutch) and read post nr. 7.

http://www.wereldwijzer.nl/showthread.php?...7147#post307147

Might be usefull to contact the poster.

Reason edit: added link and info.

See what your saying, but somehow dont think the OP had becoming a dive master in mind...and do we know what is happening there is legal ??

We know the definition under Thai law is pretty broard, but seeing as Voluteers appear to need work permit to operate, would guess an intern in an office or an "intern" at a dive school would need one, and we know that anyone on a education visa say learning Thai, appears to need a W/P to work part time, So will stand by my original comment....He would need a work permit, and coming into Thailand and working on an "O" visa or Ed visa is illegal

It is the same situation, an internship. And yes, for a student with a part-time job would need a WP (which he won't get under current rueles). But it is my understanding a student is allowed to do an internship as part of his education and doesn't need a WP for this.

OP's problem is that he is not a student of a Thai educational institute. But people from abroad do internships in Thailand. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not sure. The link I gave OP states that there are people being trained as divemasters on internships. Might be worth for OP checking out.

By the way, on a non-immigrant O visa you can get a WP. On a educational visa you can't.

It is the same situation, an internship. And yes, for a student with a part-time job would need a WP (which he won't get under current rueles). But it is my understanding a student is allowed to do an internship as part of his education and doesn't need a WP for this.

OP's problem is that he is not a student of a Thai educational institute. But people from abroad do internships in Thailand. I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just not sure. The link I gave OP states that there are people being trained as divemasters on internships. Might be worth for OP checking out.

By the way, on a non-immigrant O visa you can get a WP. On a educational visa you can't.

So would suggest this is the answer then...if he was being educated in Thailand, then could be possible, fact he is being educated outside, would suggest he is "working".. an would further suggest that in terms of the Thai labour dept they would see this a working..

Agree you can get a W/P on an "O", but this is not what the poster said, "but heard from many internees that they entered thailand on a tourist visa" which suggests to me they are "working" on an "O" with out a W/P, this could also mean they are working on 30 day visa waivers as well, but would only get them 3 months in 6.....