Changing Citizenship

maccaroni man

I understand why people say they aren't willing to die for their country. But our countries gave many of us alot of what we were to become. People aren't independent units. Families aren't either. There is a bigger picture. To me, it seems very ungrateful to be unwilling to fight for your country if they are directly invaded by a hostile power. That is the condition I feel. Its academic for me though, too old, and too gay!

If your gay you don't have to fight for your country, the armed forces don't want you. Other soldiers are not comfortable being in the front line and gays in the rear line.

Faranglandoz :o

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I understand why people say they aren't willing to die for their country. But our countries gave many of us alot of what we were to become. People aren't independent units. Families aren't either. There is a bigger picture. To me, it seems very ungrateful to be unwilling to fight for your country if they are directly invaded by a hostile power. That is the condition I feel. Its academic for me though, too old, and too gay!

If your gay you don't have to fight for your country, the armed forces don't want you. Other soldiers are not comfortable being in the front line and gays in the rear line.

Yes, I know because I said that already. In the US, that is the case. But many more advanced countries openly welcome their homosexual citizens to serve their country. I also know many gay veterans and also some who served and were kicked out for being gay, losing all their benefits. In WW2, believe me, they welcomed EVERYBODY (the unwritten policy). Offensive of you to bring up your primitive arguments against gay equality here, as there is no problem with this in other countries, it is simply bigotry. Funny even after hearing from bigots like you, I still love my country.

Edited by Jingthing

But while we're on the subject of assuming Thai nationality, I have been told it entails being given a Thai name, which then appears on your Thai documents.

Is this true?

It is correct. The applicant is allowed to suggest names but these can be ignored and a family name is assigned by an Interior Ministry official. Strangely enough, children born in Thailand with a farang father and eligible for Thai citizenship can use the farang name registered to them by their parents.

But while we're on the subject of assuming Thai nationality, I have been told it entails being given a Thai name, which then appears on your Thai documents.

Is this true?

It is correct. The applicant is allowed to suggest names but these can be ignored and a family name is assigned by an Interior Ministry official. Strangely enough, children born in Thailand with a farang father and eligible for Thai citizenship can use the farang name registered to them by their parents.

Bit of a cheek. Why should I be forced to change my family name to some meaningless name invented by a paper pusher? Wonder if there are any other countries doing this?

I guess it's fair in a way, as Taksin has been christened Frank Sinatra :o:D:D:D

Bit of a cheek. Why should I be forced to change my family name to some meaningless name invented by a paper pusher? Wonder if there are any other countries doing this?

I guess it's fair in a way, as Taksin has been christened Frank Sinatra :o:D:D:D

Well many Chinese families had done it, because when they had it all up, the pros and the cons, ….. they think the benefits outweight the costs, for them.

They are not doing for themselves as now only but for their future generations to come as well.

We'll never never be respected as equal in Thai society. At the end of the day,a farang is below all Thais.

It should be because my major was math, but for me if you're not "equal" it doesn't mean your "superior" or "inferior", it just means you're "different".

We'll never never be respected as equal in Thai society. At the end of the day,a farang is below all Thais.

It should be because my major was math, but for me if you're not "equal" it doesn't mean your "superior" or "inferior", it just means you're "different".

In societies, groups that are not equal implies they are indeed considered and treated greater or lesser.

Edited by Jingthing

That's obvious. But how do we measure up against Thai soi dogs?

We get more respect than Thai soi dogs until our money is finished, then we're below the dogs. I would hate to be a broke farang in Thailand. The only thing thais judge people on is wealth!

That's obvious. But how do we measure up against Thai soi dogs?

We get more respect than Thai soi dogs until our money is finished, then we're below the dogs. I would hate to be a broke farang in Thailand. The only thing thais judge people on is wealth!

OK, so it follows that Thai soi dog with money rates higher than a farang with money?

100% agree with your post.

Btw, wasnt there someone famous that once said that the most important was to make sure the other died for his country, and not you for yours?

:o

I would expect similar to become a citizen of most anywhere. I also agree Thailand is not a welcoming country for very many non-Asians who want to go all the way and become Thai.

A little similar to what Asians might expect in the US...

I would expect similar to become a citizen of most anywhere. I also agree Thailand is not a welcoming country for very many non-Asians who want to go all the way and become Thai.

That is 100 percent false. People of all nationalities when they achieve US citizenship are 100 percent equal under the US law and constitution (unless they are gay). San Francisco, one of our great cities, is over half people of CHINESE descent, and mostly they are there legally. Try and imagine a Thai city consisting of over half people of European descent as legal citizens. It will never happen. I am not saying it should happen, but face FACTS man! The USA may be alot of things, but one thing it is definitely not is xenophobic towards different races.

Edited by Jingthing

Why "changing" citizenship? I am a believer in having the citizenship of the country you are living in, so that you can be a participant in the life of that country. That is why I took US citizenship when I was living in the USA. I did not "change" my citizenship, since I just added US to my UK citizenship (perfectly legal in both countries, since both allow dual citizens). You can also be a dual citizen as far as Thai law is concerned. If I could, I would take Thai citizenship in a flash. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to get---which is why congratulations were indeed in order for the poster who managed it. However, if I had to give up my US citizenship to get Thai citizenship, I would still do so without a moment's hesitation, since I intend to live here the rest of my life and have no intention of living in the US again.

That is 100 percent false. People of all nationalities when they achieve US citizenship are 100 percent equal under the US law and constitution. San Francisco, one of our great cities, is over half people of CHINESE descent, and mostly they are there legally. Try and imagine a Thai city consisting of over half people of European descent as legal citizens. It will never happen. I am not saying it should happen, but face FACTS man! The USA may be alot of things, but one thing it is definitely not is xenophobic towards different races.

First off i said, similar, that means not exactly, then i said might, it also implies not 100%.

Ok, now lets talk about what i really meant as you seem to not understand what i was implying.

When it comes to laws, yes, all nationalities when they become US citizens have the same rights, however what i am talking about, and this is a very familiar theme and one of your favorite subjects, racism.

Most Asians in the US are totally stereotyped and does not get the same treatment as blacks and whites in the US, Asians, even black people look down on asians in the US, even if they want to be more "white" (of course some asians dont want it, and some want it) they cant, they are still being looked upon typical asian, and a lot of it has to do with the stereotypes that goes on in the media on a DAILY basis.

I am amazed that you seem to be so totally ignorant about these things, when you seem so sensitive when it comes to how bad farangs are treated here in Thailand.

Asians are not an oppressed minority in the US. They just aren't. There is still an underclass in the US, it mostly consists of blacks and poor whites. Black people have tensions with all other minorities, Latins, Jews, and Asians, because many are unhappy with the overall level of their success in US society relative to newer groups (RESENTMENTS). Of course, there are racial tensions in the US, like anywhere, but comparing this to how farangs are treated in Thailand is NON STARTER.

Edited by Jingthing

I would never kill or die in the name of any country. My home country suffered from rampant nationalism with many people killing and dying in its name. What a waste. Life is too short and I believe that where we are born is a matter of luck. Blind nationalism blinds the masses but only serves the interest of the few.

I would like to eventually obtain Thai citizenship while keeping my own. I won't be killing or dying for anywhere though.

Are you from Germany?

Asians are not an oppressed minority in the US. They just aren't. There is still an underclass in the US, it mostly consists of blacks and poor whites.

Great, lets measure racism and oppression based upon pure economic grounds, then your racism against farang-argument is even less valid.

Edited by aehn

Asians are not an oppressed minority in the US. They just aren't. There is still an underclass in the US, it mostly consists of blacks and poor whites.

Great, lets measure racism and oppression based upon pure economic grounds, then your racism against farang-argument is even less valid.

You don't give up, do you?

Estimated number of Asian citizens in the US (2006) out of population of over 300 million: FOURTEEN MILLION

Estimated number of European descent citizens in Thailand out of a population of over 60 million: ??? I don't know? 1000? What is your guess.

Equally welcome? No!

Estimated number of Asian citizens in the US (2006) out of population of over 300 million: FOURTEEN MILLION

Estimated number of European descent citizens in Thailand out of a population of over 60 million: ??? I don't know? 1000? What is your guess.

Equally welcome? No!

What are you talking about, do you seriously believe you can measure the amount of racism, unwelcoming attitudes based on the amount of people living in a certain country??

Please, think a little before you post next time, lol

I guess it's fair in a way, as Taksin has been christened Frank Sinatra :D:D:D:D

Well many Chinese families had done it, because when they had it all up, the pros and the cons, ….. they think the benefits outweight the costs, for them.

They are not doing for themselves as now only but for their future generations to come as well.

I think thats fair enough, westerners adopting Thai names. Also I think countries like Australia should force Asians, when applying for citizenship, to change their name to either anglo-saxon/celtic or aboriginal.

Equally welcome? No!

What are you talking about, do you seriously believe you can measure the amount of racism, unwelcoming attitudes based on the amount of people living in a certain country??

Tricky and convenient of you to try to completely change the subject of my original comment. You are just trolling now, ba bye.:

I also agree Thailand is not a welcoming country for very many non-Asians who want to go all the way and become Thai.
That is about BECOMING a Thai citizen. We are not being recruited for that. Deal with it!

There was a post some time past about getting Thai citizenship to relieve the hassle of immigration. He went on to explain that he was required to sing the national song and pledge allegiance to Thailand. The Op was congratulated and many well wishers sent him kudos. I was not one of the well wishers and was scolded by the mediators immediately. My post simply said: I don’t get it. What I meant to say is why would anyone want to be a citizen of a country that will never accept you as one of their own? I may be silly or out of step but I believe the responsibility of citizenship includes a willingness to die protecting what my country stands for. Every country has it’s own indoctrination as to what should be cherished so the question is not what is to be honored

the query is; would you be willing to pledge allegiance to Thailand and in doing so be willing to die for it?

(quote)

:o:D:D:D

Thailand chose to back Japan rather than Farangs in WW2 and Farangs are still less welcome than the Japanese in LOS today............, Not Thai ? = Goodbye! is the way it is, get used to it.

roy gsd

Equally welcome? No!

Tricky and convenient of you to try to completely change the subject of my original comment. You are just trolling now, ba bye.:

Now you are totally trying to escape the results caused by your own somewhat naive arguments.

Thailand chose to back Japan rather than Farangs in WW2 and Farangs are still less welcome than the Japanese in LOS today............, Not Thai ? = Goodbye! is the way it is, get used to it.

My impression is also that Japanese are more welcome here than farangs, but Japan did invade and occupy Thailand in WW2 with almost no resistance, so saying they chose the Axis over the Allies isn't exactly true, more like they had no choice.

Edited by Jingthing

My impression is also that Japanese are more welcome here than farangs, but Japan did invade and occupy Thailand in WW2 with almost no resistance, so saying they chose the Axis over the Allies isn't exactly true, more like they had no choice.

Thailand had little choice but to allow Japan to occupy its country in WW2. It was't forced to declare war on the allies, Thailand chose this option, as they wanted Japan to retrieve lost territories to France, in IndoChina.