Moving To Nai Harn/rawai

susie sioux

I have not posted before so please bear with me, I am a single 57 year old female living in the UK, I intend applying shortly for a retirement visa etc and really wanted to rent a property in the Nai Harn/Rawai area, which I have previously visted but I am now becoming really concerned about my personal safety if I make the move having read some recent posts.

Just how safe is it providing I take reasonable precautions also I don't fancy having my little cocker spaniel who is coming with me poisoned

Any thoughts

I have not posted before so please bear with me, I am a single 57 year old female living in the UK, I intend applying shortly for a retirement visa etc and really wanted to rent a property in the Nai Harn/Rawai area, which I have previously visted but I am now becoming really concerned about my personal safety if I make the move having read some recent posts.

Just how safe is it providing I take reasonable precautions also I don't fancy having my little cocker spaniel who is coming with me poisoned

Any thoughts

Don't take this forum too seriously. It's a bit like the news on the telly. Gets a bit sensationalist and heated and only shows you the bad bits in a very condensed form, really. You and your dog will be perfectly safe here. :o

Any thoughts

Don't take this forum too seriously. It's a bit like the news on the telly. Gets a bit sensationalist and heated and only shows you the bad bits in a very condensed form, really. You and your dog will be perfectly safe here. :D

I agree. You'll be as safe here as you are back in England........er ....somehow that doesn't sound as reasurring as I meant it to ? :o

From a Brit, it is safer than UK, if you are sensible you have no probs, my 50 year old wife loves it here as do our two brit dogs.

just a bit of care and you will have a great time, [We are Rawai as well]

If you want to meet people give us a u2u, only too happy to show you around.

I wouldn't say "don't take this forum too seriously"

It is one of the best places to get information and local happenings.

There are more muggings and poisonings than the local newspaper (phuket gazette is the one i read) tells you about.

Best not to drive a motorbike after midnight alone.

Or leave your dog run around the neighborhood especially if it is in a Muslim area IMO

I have friends who have had their homes robbed while they were sleeping and also when they weren't there.

Take some precautions (and not only locks on your doors.)

If you are going to ride Motorbikes, learn to ride slow and safe.

All that being said, i've been here 8 years and haven't been mugged, robbed, or had a pet poisoned (or had a motorbike accident, knock on wood)

I'd check with the potential neighbors where you are considering moving in to and ask about crime.  I hear from some friends that their areas have been hit, yet I have not heard of anything like this in my area of Rawai, so it might be area dependent. I live on a quiet dead end street and most of us have some pretty big dogs, so I think the word is out that there are easier neighborhoods then ours. 

I'd check with the potential neighbors where you are considering moving in to and ask about crime. I hear from some friends that their areas have been hit, yet I have not heard of anything like this in my area of Rawai, so it might be area dependent. I live on a quiet dead end street and most of us have some pretty big dogs, so I think the word is out that there are easier neighborhoods then ours.

I agree here.

For whatever reason some areas in Rawai/Nai Hairn seem a little more prone to break-in robberies. Where I am is pretty quiet, nobody around me has had any break-ins, heck, there are times I leave my place unlocked.

Granted, I live pretty minimilist, the burglars probably look in and feel sorry for me, ha, ha

Any thoughts

I have lived in the Bankontee/Sai Yuan area for the past 17 years. My experiences have been: 1 of my 2 dogs poisoned about 12 years ago and the next door house was burgled twice while it was unoccupied, about 6 years ago. I don't have any fences around my house,(or didn't until the farang style house with wall, was built next door to me) and one dog stays on the chain each day while the other runs free. The area is almost completely Muslim and until about 8 years ago, Z Pete's nephew and I were the only farangs in the area. I have been here so long that my wife (Buddhist) daughter and I get invited to all the weddings funerals and housewarming party's in close proximity. We have never had what could be called problems with the neighbours and we feel very safe in the area. It is a small village with all the gossip and rumours common to all small communities the world over. Everybody knows everybody else's business and some of the stories about me, which do get back to me, are quite scandalous (and humorous) and completely unfounded. Generally the product of people who have nothing else to do but gossip and always amusing, certainly not worth taking umbrage at.

I think that the most important thing for you to do is to become acquainted with your neighbours (generally Thai), and become part of your local community. This is what you would do in any other place where you arrive as a stranger and is no different in Thailand. People are people wherever you are.

The reason I am saying this is that I feel quite often in the case of thefts, the perpetrators are not only known to the locals, but they live in the area. The foreigner with the large house with the wall around it stands out from the local community and the wall sends a message that the foreigner has something which he wants to hide.

I take Huggybear's view that a minimalist appearance will minimise the envy factor in any community and envy is a very big factor in the way people view the large mansion with the wall around it.

In short, don't worry about the stories too much. Be aware of the the potential risks which are no more than anywhere else IMHO, and enjoy your retirement in what I still believe is the best area to live in Phuket.

Thank you so much for all the replies, I now feel much more assured.

I live in Cornwall at the moment which is very safe and has probably the lowest crime rate in the Uk on the minus side it rains alot,

I can't wait to get back to Thailand, I've spent around six months there in the last 3 years or so and loved it so next time I come I won't be leaving in a hurry,

I live in Cornwall at the moment which is very safe and has probably the lowest crime rate in the Uk on the minus side it rains alot,

I can't wait to get back to Thailand, I've spent around six months there in the last 3 years or so and loved it so next time I come I won't be leaving in a hurry,

Hi Susie

I lived in Newquay Cornwall for 25 years. I have lived in Rawai for some time now.and I feel a lot safer here than on the streets of Newquay of a night time.

Just take your time in finding a place to rent.It took me 3 months looking until I found the place I live now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd advise you not to come. After many years in this area, it's my opinion that it's no place for foreigners, especially a single female.

Check out the following story "Knife-wielding Intruder In Rawai, Terrible news". This type of news has become commonplace here. As if it's not bad enough, many of the crimes are not reported so you're aware of only a portion of the actual crimes that happen, thanks to the Thai gov't trying to protect their "golden goose", the tourist industry & a lazy, corrupt police force.

Hope this helps.

you might just want to move to chalong/phuket town and get a car to travel to rawai..

It's not unsafe.. but its not safe aswell..

Chalong/phuket town you could prob walk around wearing a dress made off 1000 baht's note easy to take and would not get any trouble.

Most people here have decent sized houses anyways, locals seem to have more money, most of the poors are just burmese workers+students so not that much robbery.. in fact there hasnt been 1 in the 2 developements i have lived in. never seen anyone shady and nobody poisons dogs..

Im really not easy to scare, im not worried to walk alone at night in small alleys in any big metropolitan city.. but i certainely would never live near rawai.. went there 6 times and everything felt shady.. may it be the much much poorer thais or the farang type ish bars.

If i were you i'd not bring my dog from the UK if it's at all possible. Spending six months in the last 3 years really doesn't give you any real idea of what it's like living here . Not as easy to get your dog back to UK as it is to bring it here if you find it's not what you thought it was.

As expressed by others if you take care and be sensible you should be ok.Whatever you do though, don't burn you bridges.

If i'd known before i came to Phuket what i know now, i'd never have come to live here, it's far better as a holiday destination. But looking back i guess i'd not have been told anyway, you like the rest of us will have to learn for yourself. I hope you're happy and wish you luck..... You'll need it!

I agree wholeheartedly with Royale. My husband and I have lived here (in Nai Harn and Kata) for 6 years and are bailing out. Being on holiday here and living here full-time are two very different things. I am not badmouthing Phuket at all.....it is beautiful and for 6 months of the year has fabulous weather and super beaches. It just isn't for us. Others have found their bit of paradise here which is great.

As a single woman who is retired.....and not working.....you might find it a bit difficult finding like-minded people with whom to socialize. We have known several single, retired women who have left after a year. Unless you have a serious hobby (other than golf) to take up your time, you may be at loose ends very quickly. But you need to find this out for yourself.

There are other parts of the world that are much more inviting for single retired women.

If you are hel_l bent on coming here, I would advise you to join the Phuket International Women's Club.....you can meet other women in the same boat as you (although a huge percentage are here with their partners), enjoy some extra-curricular activities and do some good by volunteering your services to help under-privileged children receive an education.

In any case, whatever you decide.....good luck.

I agree wholeheartedly with Royale. My husband and I have lived here (in Nai Harn and Kata) for 6 years and are bailing out. Being on holiday here and living here full-time are two very different things. I am not badmouthing Phuket at all.....it is beautiful and for 6 months of the year has fabulous weather and super beaches. It just isn't for us. Others have found their bit of paradise here which is great.

As a single woman who is retired.....and not working.....you might find it a bit difficult finding like-minded people with whom to socialize. We have known several single, retired women who have left after a year. Unless you have a serious hobby (other than golf) to take up your time, you may be at loose ends very quickly. But you need to find this out for yourself.

There are other parts of the world that are much more inviting for single retired women.

If you are hel_l bent on coming here, I would advise you to join the Phuket International Women's Club.....you can meet other women in the same boat as you (although a huge percentage are here with their partners), enjoy some extra-curricular activities and do some good by volunteering your services to help under-privileged children receive an education.

I didnt want to chime in with such negative news.. But my mother tried it here for almost a year, end result was a very unhappy lady who was on the verge of suicide, all the social groups I found seemed for a 'couple' set or younger groups that she felt excluded from, she could find no social contacts that she enjoyed the company of, the added thing of guys with far younger pretty Thai girls, and hard to find clothing for a normal sized western women left her feeling old and past it when she isnt in truth that old yet etc etc etc.

I was a total unmitigated disaster with her heading back west after a loss of confidence and a nervous breakdown. I know that seems incredible for what looks like a paradise island but she felt totally socially isolated, old, unsafe, preyed upon, unable to communicate etc.

Me I love it, I have my bad days, the usual expat Thai frustrations but for a guy this place is easier, and as a big lump I dont have to feel any nerves or danger (beyond road safety type dangers) the sun shines, the beers cold, cost of living is appealing. So its a very individual thing and requires a mindset that can dwell on the good and try to look past the bad.

My advice would be to throw yourself into learning the language. If you're retired, you should have the time, and maybe meet some people and make friends in the process. I'm sure you know this, but speaking Thai will go a long way here to help you with everything. If you can speak Thai, you will get much better info about the safety situation here from Thai's that live around you - live where you live.

I know you're gonna hate me, but I have to say it. Does Thailand really need any more dogs...?

My advice would be to throw yourself into learning the language. If you're retired, you should have the time, and maybe meet some people and make friends in the process. I'm sure you know this, but speaking Thai will go a long way here to help you with everything. If you can speak Thai, you will get much better info about the safety situation here from Thai's that live around you - live where you live.

I know you're gonna hate me, but I have to say it. Does Thailand really need any more dogs...?

Hope that's my spaniel your referring to and not me pooket :o

Think its better for old white woman to goto dominican republic, lots of old expats.. and the locals are actualy interested in the white women, bunch of the males are whores aswell.

seen a ton of white women living alone there...

Gee thanks peitechevre as a slim 5'11" blue eyed blond I'd never really considered myself an old woman looking for lots of old expats or male whores until now, maybe I should consider euthanasia instead.

On a more serious note I shall certainly consider Chalong possibley on a development with some pretence at security

Think its better for old white woman to goto dominican republic, lots of old expats.. and the locals are actualy interested in the white women, bunch of the males are whores aswell.

seen a ton of white women living alone there...

Gee thanks peitechevre as a slim 5'11" blue eyed blond I'd never really considered myself an old woman looking for lots of old expats or male whores until now, maybe I should consider euthanasia instead.

On a more serious note I shall certainly consider Chalong possibley on a development with some pretence at security

I think its far less about looking for old expats or man whores, more just about social contact..

My mum is younger then you by a few years, it wasnt the fact that she was looking for a guy as a companion, more that there are extremely few other single women in her age group and of the males she met here simply didnt even want to acknowledge her, I remember her describing to me that she felt 'invisible' in places. She was used to normal social groups, normal western social conversations, full time life here, as opposed to holidays she had taken visiting me previously, showed her that it was very hard to have any meaningful social contact at all. The womens clubs were predominantly women with professional expat husbands, other activities that lead from that were 'couple' type things and socializing done in bar type places many of the westerners there are western men, with girlfriends half her age, that if not hostile to western women, certainly didnt spend much time being welcoming. Thais can be great fun people but even without the language barrier it seems to me they are not in favor of deep discussions or abstract conversations, I find I need to have some westerners to discuss things and opinions with and if I didnt have that outlet and social circle, that was not available to her, I would have a much lower quality of life.

I am sure its different for everyone, my mums case shes not the most outgoing person anyway, but it did open my eyes to the near hostile / defensive reaction that the guys of her age seemed to exhibit.

Just bear things in mind and dont burn any bridges until you have been here for a good few months.

Some good sensible comments about real life in Rawai and Nai Harn for western females. I'm not single and have only been here about 9 months but we too find the socialising a bit of a challenge, so far. We've found one other western couple of a similar age who like our kind of socialising - going out to eat, going out to drink - and so pleased that we have found them. Rather daunted that the other few western couples that we've met seem to like split socializing i.e. the guys go out together in the evenings to the girlie bars, the ladies have their lunches together (and presumably sit at home in the evening). Or maybe we're just not frequenting the right kind of places - early days for us yet.

McChuch, may I be nosey and ask where you're moving on to - have you found the perfect place in Thailand (if it exists) or are you going to another country?

chickencurry......I'll PM you.

I too wondered why you had decided to bail out now, For me the move isn't for social contact , I do not socialise now and live my life totally alone so that does not present a problem, all I want out of life is somewhere pleasant and warm to live with great beaches, not picking up elderly men as one poster seemed to suggest.

From the replies I will seriously look at Chalong and try and find a place with 24 hour security although I don't expect it to be up to much.

Susie,

Well if great beaches are important....Chalong may not be for you. I lived in Chalong for over a year....crap beach, not swimable...but ok to look at, nice sunrises, ok for walking around. Chalong is great for sailing if you are into that pretty easy to crew for someone time to time. Some decent restaurants and stores.

I moved to Kata, for a year, as I found myself always driving there to go to a decent beach from Chalong-ha ha...then the development there in Kata just got to me and I had discovered how lovely (in comparison) Nai Harn was. I have lived in Nai Harn for 3 years...and yeah the development is breathtaking to say the least.....but....still the beach at Naiharn is the same and should be in future as it is backed by the lake and the buddhist temple....

Safety? Well I feel safe here and so does my wife. We have made friends with all our neighbors, Thai and Farang and we all watch out for each other when one is traveling or not at home....having a dog I think helps, though we don't have one, the neighbors dog also patrols near our house... There are actually quite a few single ladies living in Nai Harn and I see them reguarly at the lake or the beach on their own and seemingly in good spirits from talking to them.

Really it can only be determined by yourself...and sounding like someone who has the ability to be comfortable on your own I think you will be fine here....but come and rent for a while..if it doesn't work after a few months...move.....thats the best way I think. Anyway, good luck with the move. And Welcome to Phuket.

I too wondered why you had decided to bail out now, For me the move isn't for social contact , I do not socialise now and live my life totally alone so that does not present a problem, all I want out of life is somewhere pleasant and warm to live with great beaches, not picking up elderly men as one poster seemed to suggest.

From the replies I will seriously look at Chalong and try and find a place with 24 hour security although I don't expect it to be up to much.

Ignore the idiots who think that any single Western woman here is desperate for a man - they are judging us by their sad standards.

I have lived in Rawai for 2 years now, the last 10 months as a single female. Yes, Rawai/Nai Hairn is becoming known as a bad area for burglaries. Burglars broke into my house once in the middle of the night and at the time I was married, so having a male is no protection.

HOWEVER, dogs are a real deterrent. Unfortunately I suspect a Spaniel won't frighten any 'would be' burglar, so personally I would recommend going to Soi Dogs and adopting a dog that barks aggressively when anyone comes near your house, but is actually a softie. I've found this discourages any unwelcome visitors!

To protect your dogs from poisoning, keep them indoors at night. They will still bark aggressively if anyone comes near (which will put intruders off), plus you're warned.

Finally, it's difficult to find friends here as there's nowhere to go if you're not into the 'girly' bars (which as women we're obviously not!), but you do find friends in odd places eventually. Please message me when you arrive, if I can help, I will.

Edited by F1fanatic

Ignore the idiots who think that any single Western woman here is desperate for a man - they are judging us by their sad standards.

So still bitter than you were dumped for a young thai girl?

So still bitter than you were dumped for a young thai girl?

Thank you for proving my point "they are judging us by their own sad standards"

you attacked a group of people. You decided to label em as idiots.

Therefore me stating the fact that you were dumped for a thai girl simply puts an end to your speculation.

Any woman with some sort of intellectual faculty could keep her man over a brain dead bar girl who doesn't speak english, or would not have married a guy with such low standards.

Comebacks don't need to be intelligent, they just need to hurt and be true.

It seems that not only do you have to worry about who might attack you in the night while you sleep, you also have to wonder who will attack you when you post on this forum!

I don't know who you are "Petitechevre" but if you are a man then please try to be a "Gentleman", there's really no need to be so rude :o .If you have something nice to say then please go ahead, but if not then please spare us all from your ugly side.

I would like to say to the OP that you will have more to worry about here in Thailand than the things that have been talked about so far on this topic.

You will be ripe for the picking when you first arrive and need to be on guard at all times.Take your time to get to know people, Thai and farang, there are many dangers here and not always the obvious ones!

If i thought my mother was coming here to live i'd be worried sick, she's kind and thoughtful and would loose everything in no time at all.She would find it hard knowing she had no rights or even a voice when it came to trying to improve things here, the corruption would make her sick and the huge difference in culture although interesting in the begining would soon get her down.

After a while even walking on the beach would get to her when she saw all the crap on it! And the frustration of nothing being done about it would do her head in.

Just some thoughts.... for what it's worth.